Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Thanks Janet

I need to pop up to Leeds and do a class with Northern as they are a really lovely bunch of ladies up there, I haven’t been up there this year at all. Sadly their show day is next Saturday the same day as our LAB Gala performance at the Bloomsbury Theatre in London.

Not sure if I can squeeze the August dates in, as I intend to spend a few days possible a week in Scotland with Ballet West in August. I was hoping to do some one-to-one rep with Gillian Barton, but she is getting married on the 8th, so as yet I don’t know when she is free. I did also contemplate dropping in to Scottish Ballet for the Monday class on the way , as it’s a while since I last visited them too.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Janet

I need to pop up to Leeds and do a class with Northern as they are a really lovely bunch of ladies up there, I haven’t been up there this year at all. Sadly their show day is next Saturday the same day as our LAB Gala performance at the Bloomsbury Theatre in London.

Not sure if I can squeeze the August dates in, as I intend to spend a few days possible a week in Scotland with Ballet West in August. I was hoping to do some one-to-one rep with Gillian Barton, but she is getting married on the 8th, so as yet I don’t know when she is free. I did also contemplate dropping in to Scottish Ballet for the Monday class on the way , as it’s a while since I last visited them too.

I seem to remember you made one class this academic year if not this calendar year. I think it was just before Christmas and the reason I remember it is that we discussed Ballet Theatre UK's Swan Lale which I was about to see in Southport and you had recently seen elsewhere.

As you say, there are a lovely lot of ladies in the Over 55 class at Leeds and there is now an occasional gent in the Thursday class at any rate. As you also say we are contributing to Northern Ballet Academy's end of year show next week and I am in it. We have been working very hard for this performance. I have not missed a single rehearsal. I have arranged for it to be reviewed again. This time the reviewer will be Gita Mistry, the other member of Team Terpsichore.  I am very excited and looking forward to the show enormously.

I met Gilliam Barton in Stirling earlier this year and we are Facebook friends. I had no idea she was getting married.   If you see her send her my regards.

I have already wished you toi-toi for your show in my article on LAB elsewhere.   

Arrangements for adult ballet at Leeds are changing this year. There will be extra classes. They will last longer and start earlier. You will find the particulars on the company's website.

Edited by terpsichore

Hi Terpsichore

Yes I think you are right, I know I was looking for Northern to have a date different to our LAB Gala, but sadly it wasn’t to be.

I see Scottish Ballet have an Elders Ballet Company and they are to perform at four of the touring venues of Scottish Ballet in October. I did try contacting them via email but no response. I then phoned them and was told it was a closed group and they had a waiting list, the lady on the phone said someone from Scottish Ballet would contact me via email about the group and its activities but there was nothing forthcoming. Personally I take a very dim view of that type of behaviour.

What music are you dancing too this year Terpsichore. We had our full company dress rehearsal on Saturday at the large studio at Sadlers, I made a bit of a pigs ear of one of the pieces on the first run through. For some reason I looked across the studio at the girls dancing on the opposite side of the studio, and my concentration slipped, I completely lost where I was in the music. I felt absolutely awful as it is a piece I know reasonably well. Towards the end of the day we did a full run through again, thank goodness that was fine, but it did shake my confidence a little.

Good luck with your performance on Saturday, I hope all goes well.

• Like 1

Personally I take a very dim view of that type of behaviour.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why? It's a closed group with a waiting list, and I assume they have a policy of nurturing local (Edinburgh-based?) dancers, and working with people who attend classes with them regularly. This is absolutely normal for a performance group throughout the theatre world.

If it's about not getting back to you, well, that may be a matter of time & someone's workload. Most of the outreach & community participation programmes run by theatre/dance companies are run on an absolute shoestring by people who do several jobs, or by volunteers. I'd cut them some slack.

It concerns me that this sort of thing is said publicly, to be honest. Arts companies are under severe pressures at the moment -- I'm not sure anyone outside the industry quite sees how close to the bone most theatre/dance companies are being cut.

• Like 3

Hi Kate

Just for the record it was nothing to do with the closed group / waiting list, if it were I would definitely be rejected as I would be travelling around 400 miles to rehearsal every week. My only interest was the opportunity to perform at 4 different venues in Scotland. I make no bones about it, if I could squeeeeze it in, and the rep was agreeable, then I would look for cost effective ways to make the trips viable.

After all for several months last year every Tuesday I used to do a 500 mile round trip with Class at Northern Ballet in Leeds, followed by rehearsal, then down to London for a one-to-one rep session at Shoreditch, followed by two classes at English National Ballet.

My comment was purely about "not getting back to me". Sadly this isn’t something that is particularly unique to the ballet industry but is quite common in our culture generally. It saddens me that when I request something I have little faith anything will come of it without chasing. Only today I had to chase an application at my bank for setting up a trust account which had been with the bank for over a month, as a result of the chasing,that is now moving.

As for cutting Scottish Ballet some slack after three weeks, I simply don’t think its going to happen, do you?. I’m not one to watch paint dry and will simply move on with my own thoughts as stated on this type of behaviour.

• Like 1

I see Scottish Ballet have an Elders Ballet Company and they are to perform at four of the touring venues of Scottish Ballet in October. I did try contacting them via email but no response. I then phoned them and was told it was a closed group and they had a waiting list, the lady on the phone said someone from Scottish Ballet would contact me via email about the group and its activities but there was nothing forthcoming. Personally I take a very dim view of that type of behaviour.

Yes I read about them in an email or newsletter that I received recently from Scottish Ballet. I understand that they will perform before paying audiences in a number of venues. I think an elders' company is a good idea and I wish them all the best. The article that I read said that those dancers will perform with another elder company called "Prime".

What music are you dancing too this year Terpsichore. 

We're not sure. Annemarie said it was "Lullaby" by Lulaby. I searched Google, YouTube and iTunes for that score but have not found it yet. Someone who is reasonably well informed on ballet said that the music was by Thomas Schoenberger. I have searched against him but have still not found the score. 

...................... We had our full company dress rehearsal on Saturday at the large studio at Sadlers, I made a bit of a pigs ear of one of the pieces on the first run through. For some reason I looked across the studio at the girls dancing on the opposite side of the studio, and my concentration slipped, I completely lost where I was in the music. I felt absolutely awful as it is a piece I know reasonably well. Towards the end of the day we did a full run through again, thank goodness that was fine, but it did shake my confidence a little.

Annoying when that happens isn't it. I am sure you will be fine on the day.

Good luck with your performance on Saturday, I hope all goes well.

Thanks. I passed on your kind remarks to Annemarie and the dancers at our technical rehearsal this morning. Everybody appreciated your message and we send our love back to you.

• Like 1

There's nothing to stop vintage dancers in other parts of the country from setting up their own elders' company and if I had the time I would try to do so. If someone else were to take the initiative I would be tempted to audition.  I enjoy performing and am looking forward to our show on Saturday.

Edited by terpsichore

Terpsichore, I don't know where you are, but there's a very active "elders" company in the Guildford area. But as with the Scottish ballet, I suspect it's invitation only, and designed for people who live & work in the area, rather than just anyone who wants to perform.

But as you say, it's a pity there aren't more such groups: there are am dram groups in every town and village -- why not am dan as well?

• Like 4

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/life-begins-at-50-for-edinburgh-fringe-bound-scottish-ballet-company.128527164

This article seems to suggest that this company is made up of 15 members who auditioned back in March and came from the dancers attending regular classes already. So an open opportunity to audition but probably only advertised within the local classes as aimed at creating opportunities locally.

We feel like that here in Brighton.

When I tell dancing friends here about LAB they say they would love to have something like that in Brighton or at least some day workshops occasionally just for ballet etc.

Just to add that because Brighton is not so far from London people are expected to just go up there.

Well I know I do but this is largely due to the luxury of retirement.

When I was working would never have had the time to keep going up to London.

Terpsichore, I don't know where you are, but there's a very active "elders" company in the Guildford area. But as with the Scottish ballet, I suspect it's invitation only, and designed for people who live & work in the area, rather than just anyone who wants to perform.

But as you say, it's a pity there aren't more such groups: there are am dram groups in every town and village -- why not am dan as well?

I'm in Holmfirth which is abut 25 miles from Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield.  I attend classes in all those metropolises and have posted an invitation to vintage dancers in the Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire who wish to explore the possibility of setting up an elders company to get in touch with me. I will let you know if I get any replies.

There are some very good companies for part-time dancers  of all ages up and down the country. Michelle_Richer has already mentioned the one in London and I am an associate member of the Chelmsford Ballet Company.

You are very fortunate..

I saw the CAT show at a special event to mark the 10th anniversary of the programme last year.   It was organized by Hannah Bateman and attended by Kenneth Tindall.  The students were very good.

We won't get a chance to see any of the other shows this year because we have to report for class and rehearsal.   I also have to meet my guests - Vlad the Lad plus his mum and dad - who are travelling from London to see the show.  Vlad - who made the acquaintance of Janet McNulty at Southport in April - is already showing an interest in ballet which I am encouraging.

If you do attend the show you may like to introduce yourself to me afterwards.   Gita, the other member of Team Terpsichore, and I will be celebrating at the Aagrah  with my guests.  We have booked a table for 6 but I am sure they can add a chair or two if you want to stop for a snifter or even a curry.

• Like 1

Toi toi toi for the upcoming performances!

Just reflecting generally, I suppose part of the reason for lots of AM Dram, and not so much Am Dan, is that it's just so so much harder to be performance-level competent in dance, particularly ballet, than for acting or singing.

I'm reasonably well trained & at an intermediate/advanced level, but no way would I expect anyone to pay money to watch me stumble through classical ballet repertoire! A combination of modern & jazz choreography would be more watchable. But then I suppose I'm just not a performer (I come from  family of professional performers, so my sense of standard is very high)

Thanks for the article on the Scottish Ballet group -- it looks great! But seems to be very much about drawing from the actual community who attend the classes each week. I'm not going to get to the Festival this year, but I hope they'll still be performing next year when I have a work trip to Edinburgh scheduled for Festival time!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 4

Toi toi toi for the upcoming performances!

Thanks very much. It is actually just one show and we are on for just three ad a half minutes but we shall savour those moments.

Just reflecting generally, I suppose part of the reason for lots of AM Dram, and not so much Am Dan, is that it's just so so much harder to be performance-level competent in dance, particularly ballet, than for acting or singing

I am sure you are right. We've been training twice a week since September and have been rehearsing half an hour a week since April.

I'm reasonably well trained & at an intermediate/advanced level, but no way would I expect anyone to pay money to watch me stumble through classical ballet repertoire! A combination of

modern & jazz choreography would be more watchable. But then I suppose I'm just not a performer (I come from  family of professional performers, so my sense of standard is very high)

You seem to have done a lot.   I'd pay to see you dance.

Thanks for the article on the Scottish Ballet group -- it looks great! But seems to be very much about drawing from the actual community who attend the classes each week. I'm not going to get to the Festival this year, but I hope they'll still be performing next year when I have a work trip to Edinburgh scheduled for Festival time!

Glad you like it. I am a Friend of Scottish Ballet and a huge fan of Christopher Hampson. Scottish Ballet were the first company I got to know and love.

I didn't know about the Guidford troupe but I will look out for them and try to get to one of their shows. I used to live in Surrey and still have links with the county. If you are in touch with those folks give them my good wishes.

Yes the performing of amateur ballet is a sticky area because it's difficult to get to a good level of performance in ballet.

However when people come to see an amateur performance they know that so its up to them whether they want to pay.

Sometimes you can get quite a lot of joy out of watching an amateur performance as you can pick up on the commitment of the dancers and this communicates in its own way. The technique might not be on a professional level but often the level of feeling is.

• Like 3

CJF4ivFWgAAUL_K.jpg

Northern Ballet Academy's Over 55 Class in the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre, 4 July 2015

Copyright: Team Terpsichore, 2015

On Saturday I danced in  my second ballet. It did not have quite the same edge as my first time on stage because I already knew what it would be like to dance in a commercial theatre. Nevertheless, it was still a thrill.  One of the reasons why it was such a thrill was that I knew that I would be dancing before people who mean a lot to me. In particular, Fiona, the teacher who coaxed me back into class a month after I had lost my spouse to a horrible disease when my life was at a very low ebb.

The performance in which I appeared was the over 55 class's contribution to Northern Ballet Academy's end of year show. Northern Ballet Academy does great work in the community. Consequently, there are a lot of classes many of which were represented in the show.  There were so many that we had to be organized in four performances each with a separate cast.  Our's was the last performance which began at 16:30. It included students from the CAT (Centre for Advanced Training) programme as well as some younger kids such as Fiona's daughter who is already something of a pro at the tender age of 9 having already danced Pammy in the Great Gatsby, the young Ondine and one of the mice in The Nutcracker.

As happened last year, we were mustered in the lobby of Northern Ballet at 14:45.  Our teacher and choreographer, Annemarie Donoghue, led us to one of Phoenix's studios on the 6th floor. We had a short class of pliéstendusglissés and cloches at the barre and then a couple of run throughs of our piece to the music. To our great surprise and delight we got most of it right. Annemarie took us down to the theatre where we rehearsed a couple of times on stage. Annemarie corrected a few details but otherwise we were OK.

We returned to our studio where we waited for our call which came very quickly. Rather than take the goods lift which gave us our only anxious moment last year we crept down the back stairs and waited our turn. There were some children on stage before us dancing to Elvis Presley's Jailhouse Rock. They finished their routine and we found our way on to the stage in the dark. The lights came on and our music began. The programme described it as Lullaby by Lulaby.   Now I must confess I have never heard of Lulaby and neither (so it would appear) has Google, YouTube. iTunes or Spotify. One of the members of our class who is a retired teacher attributed it to Thomas Schoenberger but I can't confirm that. Be that as it may it is a lovely composition which I have enjoyed listening and dancing to.

The choreography was very different from last year's. It was less spectacular but required much more concentration.  We started in groups of three.  The left hand dancer of each group raised her arm and she was followed sequentially by the middle dancer and the dancer to her right. That was mirrored by the dancer right on the right, followed by the middle dancer and the dancer on the left. We then followed a weaving movement that reminded me of a figure of eight of the Dashing White Sergeant or Eightsome Reel in Scottish country dancing. We repeated that exercise with more épaulements and figures of eight. We advanced, retired and turned to the right. We retired, advanced and turned to the left.  We then courued on demi-pointe flapping our arms like wings. Annemarie told us to think of ourselves as swans.

As the music changed we broke into two lines, the front line to do some jumping and the back line to do balancés. The jumpers retired and we advanced doing balancés to the right and left followed by several pas de bourrés. We retired to the wings as the jumping group did their sautés.  The balancés group entered stage left with two temps levés.  We entered from the right with two more and ran across to the front of the stage where we waited for the next music change.

In the final movement we formed our two lines again and repeated the épaulement exercise but this time in the style of a Mexican wave, We concluded with a lovely port de bras exercise that we had done in class for several weeks before the show.

The applause was deafening. We curtseyed and exited and made our way to the stairs but were told to stop before we had reached the first landing. We learned that we would be required for a curtain call of the whole company. That had not happened the year before and I felt very proud.  While waiting for our call Fiona's daughter spotted and greeted me. It was lovely to see her.  The children were called on first.  Then I ran on followed by the rest of my class.  The CAT dancers came on last.  There were speeches and prizes and finally the curtain fell.

I think our performance was more polished than last year though one of my guests said he preferred last year's show because it lasted longer and there was more jumping.  Another said that we had performed better in the technical rehearsal. I wanted to learn what Fiona thought about our show but she had warned me that she had another appointment to attend and I never got to see her. She has however texted me yesterday morning to say "well done for yesterday" and that I had "smiled the whole way through." I am glad if that was so because I was pleased to be there and I had hoped to communicate my pleasure to the audience in the way that Ruth Brill and Rachael Gillespie do.

Annemarie told us that there was some doubt as to whether we could run a show next year because there will not be time for a choreography class. However, she also told us that there will be one final chance to perform on the 24 Sept 2015 as part of a new community project to bring the arts to older people in Leeds who are living on their own. Performances are very important for any ballet student including very elderly ones like me because ballet is a performing art which belongs in the theatre rather than the rehearsal studio. I do hope that September will not be my swan song.

Gita, the other member of Team Terpsichore. attended the show and she will be reviewing the performance for our blog.

Edited by terpsichore

Hi Terpsichore

Very well done to you and your girls of Northern.

I was sorry to read “Annemarie told us that there was some doubt as to whether we could run a show next year because there will not be time for a choreography class” , as I have a date for LABs GALA 2016 for the 17th July next year. I was hoping to join your ladies again on stage.

Our day was quite tiring, we had to be at our first studio for 9.15 am, for a warm-up barre and centre at 9.30 which meant I was up at 4.15am, as I live approximately a 100 miles from London. Unfortunately in the early hours we also had a nasty thunderstone so I didn’t get a lot of sleep. Our last show finished at around 9.45pm. Although I had intended to stay for a drink, when I was getting changed I could find the shoes I had put out to go with a dress I had intended to wear. So I just had to wear my travel day clothes which spoilt it in a way. I met my boyfriend Adrian near the bar apparently you couldn’t get near it so we soon left.

We were delayed on the train journey back and finally went to bed at 2am Sunday morning and I was really shattered.

Although there was an opportunity to go along to the Yorkshire Dance Centre, almost adjacent to Northern Ballet in Leed for an audition workshop, I knew I would be too tired even for me, so I did decline that one. Never the less I would have liked the opportunity to perform in Bradford in November as it wouldn’t clash with my Christmas shows.

I was still tired on the Monday as I fell asleep on the train to London for my ENB classes, although I had done two rep sessions that morning. When I arrived at ENB our teacher was absent apparently he had booked the day off as he was involved in some exam assessment but the person in charge of allocating teachers was un aware of this. the first (Advance) class, about half of the dancers left and went home, one of the girls took the lead and suggested some of our teacher movement at the barre as we had a pianist, the rest of us chipped with other suggestions in to keep it going. This carried on all the way through bar and centre. The only caution that came was from the pianist to keep the tempo is things slow so no one gets accidentally injured. Although it was class by consensus, it really was worth while, at the end I said a very big thank you to the girl that took the lead and gave her a hug, I think she was near to tears bless her, everyone gave her a clap in appreciation.

For the second class we were offered joining the Advance Pro class, that sounded awesome. Then one of the organisers on reception suggested to the teacher it be scaled down to the intermediates which are in the second class on a Monday. I then decided not to stay and get an earlier night.

I can't find anything about this 2016 LAB gala dTe on their website! Were you told in person then? Or is this common knowledge and I've just missed it!!

I was alright the next day ......still on a high from Saturday ....but woke up really tired on Monday! I have a local class on Monday evenings at the mo and battled with myself whether to do it or not but did it in the end and am glad I did as probably kept all the muscles and joints from seizing up!!

I did look for you in the bar but by the time I got there it was very crowded but couldn't see you anywhere!

I had to wear my morning practice clothes home because my evening clothes which had been hanging over a chair were soaked with water (from some ice which had melted apparently). Good job I had chosen my sweaty Betty trousers for class as otherwise might have had to go home in the Manon skirt!!

It was a very long day but very enjoyable as well ......adrenaline is not a bad drug to be on!!

• Like 2

Hi Lin

You will find it on Facebook under the Community site rather than the closed group, it just underneath your own posting.

Yes I agree it was a very long day, I’m not sure how much sleep I had the night before but it couldn’t have been much more the two or three hours and we had heavy thundering and downpour for most of the early hours, then to last out until two am Sunday morning was pushing things just a bit too far.

How is your ankle now, was that just those satin ballet slippers?

I think that a fantastic picture of you in your tutu, it’s a really nice pose well done.

• Like 2

Ah thank you Michelle!! I had a couple of other poses with my arms up but didn't dare post those because the cellulite was so obvious close up!! So must remember no poses in 5th position unless from about 20 feet away!

Yes I didn't get much sleep the night before the show either as we had the terrific thunderstorm in London (well over Islington anyway) as well and then the downstairs neighbours came in in two lots ......one at 3am and the other about 5am! They weren't really noisy except for clattering about in the kitchen making drinks and then seemingly doing a weeks washing up!! Sound seems to penetrate so much more in the wee early hours but probably part of not getting off to sleep was nerves about the coming big day!

Honestly I'm such a div where Facebook is concerned I'm not sure I understand the difference between the community site and the closed site!! I'll have a look today but what's the odds I have to email you later because I can't find it.

Hopefully will see you next Tuesday at the LAB shorts .......if this five day rail strike doesn't go ahead! Although on investigating further yesterday it looks like only 30 per cent will be striking so there will be some trains but probably some cancellations here and there........so what's new?!

Oh yes those satin shoes!! The problem wasn't actually with my ankle ...that's fine now ...but with the shoe.

In my normal class shoes I always wear an arch support insert and everything works fine with my Bloch shoes.

However when I bought the satin ones (not from Bloch) the size smaller was too tight but the size I bought were really too big!! I thought once the insole was in it would be okay but then found that unless I did the ribbons up to foot strangulation point they were not that secure at the heel especially in the right foot!

That very first dance that opened the show at the matinee was a bit of a nightmare as I felt my right shoe was going to come off at any moment even though the ribbons were too tight for comfort!!

Then later on in Manon when there was a fairly quick change from shoes to bare feet and other changes I nearly didn't make it because I couldn't get ribbons undone!!!

For the evening I took the insoles out and everything felt much more secure though it still looked like I had shoes on two sizes too big!!

In the Manon change in the wings that evening I was pretty evil to the shoes and just cut the ribbons off!! I shall never wear them again anyway as I must sort out some better fitting shoes for next time and I will only wear statins for performances anyway.

So ......there's a FREE pair of pink satin ballet flats only worn twice which I thought were a size 8 but it has the number 9 inside!! I will check this out but they're still up on London at the moment.

They have elastic still across the centre of the shoe but in a fit of pique and some panic the ribbons have been dispersed with!!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

First the insoles ......they are called "foot medics" their model for sport activity. They are full length inserts. I did have some three quarter ones but you have to stick those in the shoes so are a nuisance every time you buy a new pair of shoes. So I tried these full length ones out and they are great and you can take them in and out quickly to use in different ballet shoes. ...... Probably not appropriate for pointe shoes of course.

I got them from a very good shoe shop in Brighton which sells all sorts of inserts and certain of the assistants are well trained in giving advice for minor problems. This is an individual shop not a chain though. But up in London the chemist in Wigmore street behind John Lewis.....john Bell and Croyde .....have them too.

The satin shoes I will pm you about. They are a wide fitting because I have wide feet.....in Bloch shoes I'm a D fitting. But these were not Blochs and I think to get the wider size they have gone for bigger shoe size.

My normal shoe size and in Blochs again is size 7 I thought I tried on a size seven in these statins which were too small so the next size was 8. However when I looked in the shoe on Saturday there is a number 9 inside which is quite ridiculous for my foot!!

I left them up inLondon and am going up tomorrow( to see Cinderella) so will double check the size is 9 ......perhaps that referred to something else. They are definitely as wide as my Blochs though in this size at any rate!!

I bought them in a hurry as we were told the shoes had to be a particular colour for the performance and really should have spent longer looking around. Anyway they have literally only been worn twice but they are free for whoever wants them. I will pm you about this anyway.

• Like 1