Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

The Adult Associate classes are run by the RAD and take place once a month in Birmingham - bookable 4 classes at a time. They are held at either Elmhurst or BRB studios. I think many come quite a distance and often do more than one class. BRB do occasional adult workshops - there is one just before Easter I believe. Childrens associate classes started out as just Birmingham and then spread first to Hampshire, then Cambridge and now they take place in about 6 venues. It would be nice if there was enough demand for adults to do the same.

• Like 2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done that lady, I think we should think of her as 89 years young. I hope I have her mind set when I’m 89 and still active.

Getting old really scare the hell out of me, as Tuesday I went to see my brother in law in hospital he’s 91 and he has had a set back a chest infection, now he looks really really frail. Today I called in at my local hall I use for ballet practice as they were holding a tea dance as I’m skipping ENB for this week and next. Although a lady welcomed me in, I really didn’t fit in, they all seemed so old shuffling about. Is that what I have to look forward too, I really don’t want to go there.

At least skipping ENB should give my left ankle a little bit of rest bite, however the strengthening from single foot releve with the other leg in attitude I guess will also take its toll if I’m to crack the black swan attitude turns.

At least the second week of missing ENB is necessary as I’m doing Northern Ballet the following morning at Leeds with LAB rehearsal in London later that evening, otherwise its only two and a half hours sleep, even I cant do that and drive safely.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Last Thursday I was just about to leave for my LAB rehearsal when I checked my emails in case of public transport disruptions only to find an email had been left for me to contact my brother in laws grand daughter immediately by telephone, bless him, he had passed away. At that time his grand daughter wasn’t able to contact his son as he only had an answer machine on . I decided to carry on with my LAB rehearsal and start to organise things the following morning as I was executer of the will. The LAB rehearsal went reasonably ok even though I was a little pre occupied with what had happened.

That night I had very little sleep trying to sort everything out in my mind ready for the next morning as I had so many things to get into place. I had a one-to-one session booked for 11am, I knew I had to be on the road by 10.15am, Fortunately I was able to make all phone calls and appointments before leaving for that session. However my session did not get off to a very good start as I had not done my usual pre class warm-up and heel drops, I was incredibly stiff and also very tired, never the less by the end of the session the Black Swan pirouettes were sort of coming together.

Monday I had my local hall booked for a 2 hour practice slot before another one-to-one session with my 2nd coach, this time I had done a pre-warm-up and heel drops, but the hall was quite cold at 14 degrees. I seem to spend quite a while before the pirouette doubles were consistent and I was still not particularly happy with the fouette launch of the attitude turns. In the end I started to concentrate on consistence and familiarity of the whole sequence and fudge a bit with the attitude turns, if they fell short, the difference was taken up by the turning pas de buree pique. At least I had made some form of progress.

When I arrived at the Sleaford studio I was early, I had access to the studio to get set up, and it gave me a chance to practice the pirouettes. They were awful, I was going backwards, they were worse than at the hall. My teacher arrived all perky and I told her what was happening, I wasn’t sure if it was the floor or if I was too tired after the two hour session in the morning, so we ran through the first sub sequence (40 seconds or so) to the first arabesque. A number of times, even with the music which usually seems to give me that extra bit of energy. Clearly we were still some way behind where we were last week and I felt really awful about it, my pivoting ankle was starting to play up too. In order to preserve the ankle it was decided to dance the whole Black Swan sequence through and just take what we got from the pirouettes in order to cleanse the rest. Then use the last 10 minutes or so to return to the pirouettes.

At least the cleansing went quite well although we did have to take out a chaine turn to keep with the music. This was in a tricky piece which had a double pose into a lame duck followed by three chaine turns with the last going through passé to flat feet fifth before releve and soutenue combination. Another section had a bit of tweaking for the musicality to get the accents in the right place. Generally both my teacher and I are quite happy with this section for the time being. But it’s quite likely that version two will have the character roll of the Black Swan made a little bolder and defiant with some changes to port de bras.

Finally for the last 10 minutes we were able to return to the pirouette problem. My teacher noticed my forth postion for was narrower, I lengthened it, but it didn’t make a lot of difference. I noticed I seemed to be putting an awful lot of power into the turn with the arms, sometimes to the point of throwing me off balance. My teacher looked at my legs/feet critically and said the pivoting leg was pull-up strait and the gesturing leg was correctly turned out in retire and thought I was giving up too easily. I gave it another two or three goes by this time I was getting very tired and almost to tears and very down hearted. Then teacher said quite firmly “head up Michelle”, I remembered a saying we use in LAB “Look up to the circle”, as if we are on stage facing the audience. I looked up as I was facing croise into the corner and see a ledge that ran to the corner from one wall, I hadn’t noticed it before. Then I started to think had I been spotting, I think not, I was too focused on launching the attitude turns. I went for the turn with a little less power and a good spot, the second spot carried that second turn round beautifully, I stopped on a flat pivoting foot facing the corner with the other leg still in retire. That was probably just luck. My teacher said “well done, now do it again”, I did and the stop position this time was intentional by design so to speak, flat foot again facing the corner whist holding the other in retire. I did that several times in succession probably half a dozen, they were all successful. By this time the next class was assembling outside our studio door as our time was up.

Whist I was pleased with the outcome, I was disappointed I had effectively wasted three 1 hour practice sessions on something which I should have known better. I was also a tiny bit disappointed that my teacher hadn’t spotted it, but I was tired and also had the upset of my brother-in-laws death.

Sorry to hear about your brother in laws death.

There are days when one is either just physically tired or mentally exhausted ......and sometimes both together.

You work very hard so perhaps be a bit easier on yourself for a couple of days and I'm sure it will all come together again soon.

I really never can tell with pirouettes .......what is going to happen .....but recently I have really been concentrating on putting less force into the turn (which is a sort of panic reaction) and this has been helping with control.

• Like 1

Thank you Lin

As for being easier on myself for a couple of days, lets count today as no ballet as I met with the family today and no ballet tomorrow as I have an appointment with the bank to set up an executers account, cant do any more at this stage until the death certificate is issued other than a good nights sleep Wednesday night as I’m up at 4.30am Thurs morning for a morning workshop by Northern Ballet at Leeds Grand Theatre then down to London for my weekly LAB rehearsal, then home just before midnight. I do get a little bit of a lay-in as my next session is at 11.00am Friday morning for another one-to-one on Black Swan. I’m resting Saturday sort off, fence to paint with the help of my boyfriend if the weather is kind, then Sunday with RAD at Cambridge for those awful cygnets. So I guess not too demanding.

As for the pirouettes that was my own silly stupid fault. I need them to be more than consistent. I need to be able to do them on demand properly and in-front of an audience.

A word for pianists in ballet classes.

In our Wednesday LAB group a pianist .....who has been absent for many months due to hand injury has at last returned. Just so wonderful to have such a brilliant pianist ( used to be a concert pianist) playing for class just gives such a lift and makes one try that bit harder......just to do the music justice.....

I won't mention his name as haven't okayed it with him to do this but anyone at LAB will know who it is!!

Just so grateful to him that he plays for us

• Like 1

Thank you Sheila and Terpsichore.

Being executor has turned out to be a lot more work than I had anticipated as it has to go to probate as the estate is worth more than the £15,000 limit. I spoke to the probate Service this morning and it looks as if it will take 6 to 8weeks to go through once they have received my application. I can start to get things moving now as I just received the death certificate from my Brother in laws son tonight(Friday).

Hi Lin

I did LAB yesterday after first doing Northern, a really long day. We were at least 4 dancers down which really does spoil things for a small group when it comes to positioning formations. Early in our sequence we break off into two groups of three at the front, I was it in my group. Another formation I was in was like a 5 on a dice, one was missing for that, another is two diagonals from the centre to each downstage corner, a girl was missing from either side of me there too.

Today’s Black Swan one-to-one went reasonably well with good pirouettes to start with, but later they went downhill as I started to tire. We did a little bit of roll reversal during the cleansing of the solo too. Both my teacher/coach and I were pleased with the progress we made today. Unfortunately I will miss next Friday’s session due to the funeral; however the three sessions for both Mondays are still one. Friday the 27th is effectively our dress rehearsal in costume and videoed, at that point if all is well tuition on the black swan ceases and we start on Giselle variation from Act1.

I’m just hoping my ankles survive the impact of petti-jete's in the Cygnets Dance and the grand jete’s of the Dance of the Big Swans, from my RAD Swan Lake workshop at Cambridge on Sunday.

I think my ankles may have survived the impact of the RAD rep workshop at Cambridge.

Fortunately for me we did not do the ankle cracking Cygnets Dance, for that matter we did not do the Dance of the Big Swans either, to some extent I was pleased about the too as I hadn’t properly prepared for it and it looks like a really nice piece. However we did dance the Waltz of the Swans. Although I had danced this a number of times before, I have never danced it from the centre front position of three columns, it was usually front of the right column.

Although our teacher moved the choreography around a bit and also adapted it to include Prince Siegfried, it still worked extremely well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were even three new movements I had not danced in this scene before, although there was quite a lot that had been left out. Later I checked the choreography against the RB version as I was pleasantly surprise to find the actual movements / sub-sequences in it.

The Waltz of the Swans was the only piece we had danced and it was the full sequence our teacher had intended to teach us.

As usual the workshop started with a 20 minute barre as warm-up. Our class consisted on eight girls and one guy. I'm just hoping now that my ankles are in good shape for three hours of Black Swan on Monday.

• Like 1

Although my ankles on Monday morning were a little stiff, my half-hour pre-workout followed by Alfredson’s heal-drops seem to restore them. However as soon as I started my two hour Black Swan practice session it was clear it was going badly wrong, I had no energy and I was so incredibly tired. I almost aborted the second hour completely. For the first half hour I was getting no where, then it started to pic up a little but it was really hard work. The last 15 minutes made it worthwhile to continue through the second hour, but I was really pleased when that came to an end.

Three hours later I was off to my one-to-one Black Swan session, that was quite scary as I was starting to worry about tiredness while driving, as the studio is just over 20 miles away. I did make it, but I was pretty shattered, I told my teacher how I was feeling but I still carried on regardless, the pirouettes were ok but the attitude turns left a lot to be desired. At least my teacher liked the recent changes to the rep and its effect on musicality.

I had a meal break before going on to my ballet fitness class that evening, by this time I was starting to recover somewhat and thoroughly enjoyed the class.

Tuesday was almost a non-ballet day as I had stacks of things to attend to regarding my late brother-in-laws estate. However I did get to see the live screening of RB’s Swan Lake from ROH at my local cinema.

Wednesday ENB as usual but we had a relief teacher for the advanced class, so more varied movements for work at the barre which was quite fun. Ankles during class held up well. However this week I see the No 10 bus leaving just outside the Royal Albert Hall as I was approaching after class. Rather than wait for the next, I decided to do the old walk to South Kensington tube station and hope my legs survive. By the time I got to Kings Cross they were starting to stiffen, however 30 reps with a resistance band seemed to help a lot.

Thursday: LAB rehearsal, ankles held up ok but I could feel the presents of the old issue but it didn’t restrict me. Good rehearsal but only two girls missing this time.

Friday, a no ballet day, it was the funeral of my brother in law Ken, and also the day I was dreading. As it turned out it was a beautiful spring day with probably 50 or 60 of his friends and family to send him off. Furthermore the War Pension people had send a Union Jack down to be draped over his coffin and a poppy wreath as he was the last surviving member of his regiment. He was interred at a lovely little country cemetery near his mum and brother. I was fine, I was given a lovely lady of 86 to look after, some relative of Kens daughter in law until it came to sprinkling soil on the lowered coffin. First his son, then his daughter in law sprinkled some soil both in silence, His daughter didn’t come forward and there was a bit of an hiatus. Although I was some distance away I briskly walked up and did the sprinkle and said “goodbye my dear old friend”, with that I lost it, I sobbed my heart out almost uncontrollable, this little toughie wasn’t tough today. Needless to say I will really miss him; I’ve known him since I was 18.

I can’t wait for Easter now, I need a break from ballet and a time for some serious sleep and recovery.

Thank you everyone:

It was a very moving event, I think one of the most memorable things that happened that day was: Ken in working life was a railwayman, the vicar that did the service was just by chance an ex-railwayman too, that seemed very appropriate and I’m sure Ken would have approved and smiles at the thought.

Needless to say I was back at ballet today.

• Like 2

Michelle_Richer, you probably already know this but, just in case you don't, rehearsals will start for the end of term show at Northern Ballet immediately after the Easter holidays.

I enjoyed last year's show very much and would like to be in this year's but we shall have to see.

From RAD Midlands page

***Exciting News***

We are delighted to tell you that two of our RAD Adult Associate dancers will be appearing on ITV’s This Morning programme tomorrow for a performance and interview live on national television (approximately 11/11.30am).

Please give them your support for inspiring adults to start dance or come back after a break (how ever long it may have been!)

• Like 3

Hi Terpsichore

I didn’t know Annemarie was starting rehearsals but I suspected it. Sadly I cannot do that show this year as its on the same day as our LAB gala performance. I would have loved to have done the Northern Ballet show as Tuesdays are now free as City Academy are no longer running their performance course.

I’ve moved ENB from Wednesdays to Mondays to free Wednesdays off. Until I can find a performance group for Wednesdays, Wednesdays are likely to be another one-to-one rep session, which will make three private sessions a week.  After a couple of weeks into the new term I’m hiring my Monday studio on a Friday too, this time with no teacher to purely dance through the different pieces of rep  that I have learnt and keep them in the brain and muscle memory while I add more too them.

I never thought I would say this, but I’m really going to enjoy my 2 week Easter break  from ballet and refill my sleep hour reserves which are well depleted.

• Like 3

Let's hope the weather is kind and you can spend some restful hours in your garden......but no looking at any weeds or shrubbery needing cutting(hopefully the grass will hold off for another month)

Rest-sleep-rest-sleep-rest-sleep-rest-sleep-rest-sleep .......hope this is hypnotising you!

• Like 2

Wow Lin I thought you knew me better than that.

I did have a sort of restful day on Tuesday, well at least ballet free, as I had to catch up with the probate admin on my late brother-in-laws estate . Well I did sort of try on Wednesday but after my morning workout and heel-drops I went off and did a Body Balance fitness class. When I got home the sun was shining and my lawn was dry, I couldn’t miss the opportunity of cutting it as I have close on half an acre of lawn which was getting quite long. Although the sun was shining there was still quite a lot of wind out. Over the last couple of days some of my fence panels have been damaged in the wind but they will have to wait until the weekend when my boy friend is over to help me. Tonight (Wednesday) I must confess I did pop out to do ballet class and Stretch and tone class at Sleaford, but that was just social.

I still have the hall booked for Thursday morning for a run-through of Black Swan and Giselle to keep them fresh but that’s it for this week. However I do get to see Vienna’s Festival Ballet’s Gala at Blackfriars theatre in Boston with my boyfriend on Easter Sunday with a Salsa party to finish that evening off.

So yes tongue in cheek I am resting.

• Like 1

With the Easter break almost over, its beginning to feel like the calm before the storm. Especially as I have two awesome early morning starts and late night finishes next week.

I’m just starting to ease into things beginning tomorrow with two fitness classes and one ballet class, then Thursday with two practice sessions down my local hall in prep for Mondays private rep session on Giselle and LAB rehearsal on Thursday next week. Next week Thursday morning is not available for LAB prep as normal, as I will be at Norwich Theatre Royal with Northern Ballet, then travelling down to London for LAB rehearsal in the evening. For LAB this term is not about learning any more choreography, but polishing everything we have learnt and rehearsed in terms 1 and 2 ready for performance in our Gala at the Bloomsbury Theatre on July the 4th.

I should find out next week if Emma, my latest rep coach, can accommodate me on Wednesdays for the time being, otherwise I’m looking for a performance group to join for Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Well I had a very nice surprise in the post this morning.

My partner came into the room with a bit of a beam on his face and handed over a soft looking parcel "I think this one is for you".........usually parcels are tools of one sort or another he has won on eBay etc.......

It was my new practice tutu ordered from Just Ballet (in an extra large size!!) .....this is for the LAB show.

Ive worn tutus before ........a very long time ago......some 35 years ago......but this is the first tutu I have actually owned.

Now all I have to do is stay injury free until July at least!

I have nt tried it on yet (only arrived 15 mins ago) as am getting ready to go up to London to see Swan Lake .....or rather trying to .....but an appropriate day for it to arrive I think!!

Just Ballet thanks a lot and will be emailing you separately! :) :)

• Like 6