Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Hi Lin

Wow fantastic, legs to die for.

I assume you are in town on Wednesday with LAB, I’m in town with ENB if you want to meet up for a coffee somewhere near Kings Cross or Covent Garden, I assume you are at Sadlers Wednesday evening.

Are you doing City Academy’s Nutcracker Workshop on Saturday, We are Doing the Sugar Plum Fairy variation and the dance of the Merlitons, the guys are doing the men’s Solo part next to the Grand PDD.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michelle will email you about Wednesday.

I'm not doing the nutcracker workshop with Rejane unfortunately........a whole day is still a bit too long for me at the mo. In fact this week will be the first week since my injury that I'll be doing two classes .......on Wednesday and Saturday.

However I will be doing the ENB one in December at the Coliseum......and that one is only 2 and a half hours so am looking forward to that.

Hi Lin

Ok about Nutcracker, that’s a shame but I guess you can’t hurry things.

For me it’s a really awesome week. Tonight (Monday) we started our Coppelia rehearsal at Lincoln, it was fantastic I loved every minute of it.

Tomorrow after a practice in my local hall its Snowflakes on the  City Academy performance course,

Wednesday my two classes at ENB, but what I hadn’t realised after getting home at 1am Thursday morning, I need to be on the road around 6.30am for a Cinderella Workshop at Norwich Theatre Royal followed by LAB rehearsal at RAD in Battersea that evening.

Friday prep for Nutcracker especially the Sugar Plum Fairy solo, Saturday City Academy Nutcracker workshop 10.30am to 5.30pm.

The following week doesn’t get much easier as I have the largest studio in GoDance Sleaford booked and I have three days booked in my local hall for rep practice. At least I’m dancing from the classics where my real passion is.

I hope LAB is better this week as Tom was away last week and WK3 video wasn’t posted the previous week as reference, plus we also had a dancer absent which makes a big difference to such a small group. A second complication we have two pieces of music for the same scene and dance steps.

Edited by Michelle_Richer
  • Like 1

This morning our Over 55 class at Northern Ballet Academy was taught by Elizabeth Rae. As you can see from her biography on Northern Ballet's website she has enjoyed a glittering career as a dancer, teacher, choreographer and author. It was a pleasure and a privilege to be taught by her.

We have two classes on Tuesday: an hour of barre, centre work and jumps and then an extra 30 minutes for those who want to learn pirouettes and jumps.  It was quite challenging for all of us and particularly for me but Elizabeth gave us lots of useful tips and information which she delivered with considerable wit. For instance, always keep your little finger in view when doing grands pliés because you keep your back straight and transfer your weight to the ball of your foot and not the heel when doing turns.  Although I have been trying my best for ages I still can't do pirouettes properly and I get really frustrated with them but Elizabeth's exercises really helped. She taught us to do tours lents in retiréand while I was a long way from  getting it right I was a closer to getting it right than ever before.

After class we gathered round to thank her and she told us a little bit about her career.  She appears to have done some of her best work in Frankfurt and there is a lovely picture of her with Richard Sykes on her Northern Ballet web page.  I googled her and found that she danced as Lisa Rae when she was on the stage and I found lots of other beautiful images of her.

One of the reasons I take as many ballet classes as I can is the precious interaction between teacher and student. I have heard great dancers from the past such as Antoinette Sibley talk fondly about their teachers and modern ballerinas like Lauren Cuthbertson and Elena Glurdjidze talk in the same way about theirs.  I will never be a ballerina but I can experience that aspect of their lives.

• Like 6

Hi Terpsichore

When do Northern break up for Christmas, my Tuesdays will be free after our performance at Sadlers on the 6th December, at the moment I’m using my local hall for practice in the mornings prior to rehearsal each Tuesday evening with City Academy.

I was with Northern Ballet yesterday (Thursday morning) at Norwich Theatre Royal doing a little bit of Rep from Cinderella , with LAB rehearsal in the evening, a really long day with only three and a half hours sleep from my ENB classes the day before.

I met a new teacher from Northern’s learning department, a really nice young lady called Sam, who only stared a month ago. It was a really enjoyable workshop that was videoed by the Theatre Royal staff, so we will all receive a dvd in due course.

Hi Terpsichore

When do Northern break up for Christmas, my Tuesdays will be free after our performance at Sadlers on the 6th December, at the moment I’m using my local hall for practice in the mornings prior to rehearsal each Tuesday evening with City Academy.

I was with Northern Ballet yesterday (Thursday morning) at Norwich Theatre Royal doing a little bit of Rep from Cinderella , with LAB rehearsal in the evening, a really long day with only three and a half hours sleep from my ENB classes the day before.

I met a new teacher from Northern’s learning department, a really nice young lady called Sam, who only stared a month ago. It was a really enjoyable workshop that was videoed by the Theatre Royal staff, so we will all receive a dvd in due course.

Hi Michelle_Richer

Several folk were asking after you on Tuesday.

According to the handbook term finishes on 20 Dec.

I am glad you enjoyed the workshop in Norwich. I'll look out for Sam.

Edited by terpsichore

Hi Terpsichore

I’ve just been checking dates after the 6th which gives me the 9th and 16th to visit Northern. I will do the Intermediate/advanced class on the 9th too but I’m committed in the evening on the 16th, so that day will just be Annemarie’s classes. I’m also in Leeds with Northern at the Grand Theatre on the 18th for a rep workshop.  I was hoping to pay a visit before that, but until I have our Sadler showpiece solid in my head and body, I’m using Tuesday mornings at my local hall for practice.

I’m not sure if we have a half term break with City Academy but I will check with my teacher tomorrow as we are at Saddlers doing a Nutcracker workshop this Saturday. If we have a half term break and it doesn’t coincide with Northern’s I will be over earlier.

Saturday was one of the most enjoyable rep workshops I’ve had with City Academy at Sadler. Three pieces was taken from the Nutcracker Dance of the Merliton, Men’s solo from near the Grand PDD, and ladies solo Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

The choice of pieces was well suited to our small group of five as it consisted of three girls including me and two guys.

The morning started with the usual barre and a bit of centre as warm-up, then we went into our first piece which was the Sugar Plum Fairy Solo, this was taught in phrases as our teacher alternated between the girls and guys solo. While she was teaching the guys we practiced the step we had learnt. On balance I think it would have been nicer if we had our own area or studio to have done that in, as we had a few near misses between the girls and guys dancing into each others space, mainly as the guys solo used most of the studio space.  By the end of the morning the girls had learnt the first half of the Sugar Plum Fairy solo up to the end of the Temps de fieche section.

After out lunch break I expected us to continue but after a short warm-up we started on Merliton. Our two most experienced male and female dancers were paired together and my group formed a pas de trois. Although this was the dance I had least interest in, it turned out to be quite fantastic, it had everything, partner dancing as a threesome, little bit of pas de deux with supported arabesques and promenading and also solo’s for each of us.

When we leant the piece I was girl No one on the right of the guy, the other two girls started on the left as Girl No two. However the girl from the other group of two got promenaded on both sides. For the Solo’s I did the first solo while the other two girls did the second solo. The guys also had a solo in this piece too while we stood in preparation waiting for collection for the final part.

Last thing that day we danced all we had learnt, Sugar plum was danced half way through although, however I did continue for the first two Arabesque retire combination of the next section before our teacher stopped the music, just couldn’t resist it. For Merlitons each group went separately so each girl got the chance of dancing their solo part on there own.

It really was a fantastic Workshop and I do hope those pieces come round again although I'm creating my own version of Sugar Plum which is likely to be a combination of the Royal Ballet version which we learnt with City and  the Tuzer Ballet clip from youtube which has some combinations I rather like.

• Like 2

This last week has I think being the most trying week I have had for along time. Firstly on Monday afternoon I hired a large studio in Sleaford for some Le Corsair Solo coaching, when we arrived the power kept going off every thirty seconds or so, we ended up moving to a smaller studio with a good floor which turned out to be quite adequate and cheaper.

I ran through the sequence for the first time for my coach, then she ask me to just do the beginning which is a transfer or weight from preparation into a glissard from 4th, except the front foot does momentarily come off the floor (ref Bolshoi) and I checked this out with one of my ENB teacher to be correct. My coach spotted the fact that my placement on the floor when it finally went down for the glissard was somewhat strange, the foot went down flat as it should but then the toes and front of the foot came up, so my heel was taking all the weight of launching the glissard. That I was totally unaware off. I think we both concluded that was something that had crept in after my Achilles injury last charismas, as since then when my feet get stiff for sitting along time on a train journey, I know when I commence walking it tends to be on my heels,  as the ankle joint get warm I can articulate the weight more and more through my foot until I am walking normally, but initially its too painful.

The evening went reasonably with our “Waltz of Hours rehearsal” other than I need far more height with left foot on top right underneath for a cabriole devant. In this sequence we use both combination as its done both travelling from right to left and left to right. The other combination seems to work reasonably well as the strongest leg is on the bottom and the one with best articulation is on the top. I managed to get some exercises that should help strengthen and resolve that one.

Tuesday City Academy Performance course we have finally finished the sequence with our closing pose. Lots of cleaning a polishing to be done but we have a few weeks to go yet. I’m still waiting for the video to be released of our work this week so we can practice. I have my local hall booked for that which is one of three every week. 

Thursday was far my worst day. When I arrived in London for my LAB rehearsal I found King Cross underground station was being evacuated and closed do to an “Incident” they said. I had to walk to Euston for the Underground to Victoria as I was headed to RAD in Battersea. I ask the gentleman on RAD reception if he had heard anything about King Cross, he hadn’t. Finally Tom our teacher was back after being away for a couple of weeks when progress had been slow. I thought now we can really get on it, we completed the sequence created from Le Corsaire. Before Tom was away he ask me to bring in a tutu to allow our male dancer to get used to the additional space he had to accommodate with the girls with circular tutu skirts, for the last half an hour I put it on. Finally we videoed that sequence using my camera for me to upload to our common dropbox area.

At LAB we also started on a second sequence from Le Corsaire, derive from one of the Harem Girls solo’s but re-choreographed for a small group of dancers, it looks like being a very nice piece with lots more practice needed.

When I left RAD, reception still had no news on Kings Cross, so I had to make the assumption it was reopened, it was. I ask one of the staff there and apparently a fire alarm had gone off but they could not locate it.

When I finally got home at 1.00am I though I would check the two videos I had taken and then upload them for the other members of LAB. What I see of my own performance was awful, it was rubbish I hated it, I think it was the worst I have ever done, further more I did in a tutu, for me that makes it even worse, I just felt so ashamed, it was a real downer. That certainly won’t happen next week I really do have to pick my game up.

Another challenging week over and half term break coming up but two of my classes ENB and City Academy are still going, but for me it not really a break but time to clean up and get in front with my performance rep. So hiring my local hall 3 days during that week continues during the break, as well as some additional time in my own studio.

Mondays “Waltz of Hours” from Coppelia has been taught in small isolated phrases, I think to gauge how our dancers would cope or need simplification. So far we a good to go against the Bolshoi version we are using as a template. This last Monday we completed the beginning all the way up to the ballance walk after the sissonnes. I noticed part of the beginning is repeated before the travelling ballonnes into a jete en tournant. I at least want to have that practiced before I go back. The only changes I can see our teacher making, is to accommodate just five dancers including me where the choreography call for separate groupings. It really is a lovely piece to dance.

Tuesdays: An adaptation of “Dance of the Snowflakes” from Nutcracker, This sequence we have now completed after some tweaking this week, unfortunately one of the changes included moving my position towards the end of the dance as I had further to travel than the other dancers in our sub group and only four counts to do it in. This meant I had to dance with mostly the opposite orientation legs and arms etc. On the final video I think most of it was ok except I did a whoopee doo with the sleeping swan pose on the wrong leg even though that bit had not been changed.

Thursday “Le Corsair “First partner work enchainement danced to “Le Jardin Anime Codetta”. Although it’s a nice piece I’m still not happy with my own performance I’m still making to many slip ups in attention to detail Grrrr. I know one of the girls from one of the other groups was complementary about last weeks work, but I know it was dreadful and I’m still not happy about this weeks, I know it needs a lot of polishing so its practice, practice, practice.

Our second part is taken from the Harem Girls Dance which is first danced as a trio, then a duet with a couple of pas de chats into a solo. We are using the first part of that solo with the three grand fouette sautés, I’ve asked for the duet choreography to be included, and it’s now being considered as is the ending section with the high developpes, at the moment we are ending with a soutenu turn and then a buree to the front. As we are still learning this one I’m not too worried about the associated video. However this will receive a lot of attention during the break to get it polished and to include the beginning and end sections of the Bolshoi choreography, weather we use it or not. As it’s also my intention to re-familiarise myself with the beginning trio section which I have danced before. I think that music and choreography is absolutely gorgeous to dance to, it’s heavenly pleasure.

On the down side I’m starting to detect overuse in my ankles as they are severely stiffening up once I stop dancing or using them particularly while resting on train journeys. I'm also missing LABs Autumn Intensive this weekend due to other commitments, which is held at Central based on "Manon", but I guess that's probably a blessing in disguise

• Like 1

She was an extraordinary woman who took barre long into her 80s. When the attacks she refers to happened, she absolutely refused to be discouraged. I was a student in the school she owned. The film of her in Dance Macabre shows her dancing with Adolph Bolm, and she danced for both Pavlova and Diaghilev.  She really was an inspiration!

• Like 4

Fascinating little film thanks for posting.

Hope I can still do barre at 80 if I make it to that great age!

Lin you may recall last year when we both did the Chelsea Ballet Summer School at Pineapple, we had an 80 year old lady with us there.

When I first began at my local class we had an 80 year old lady there too, Nicky our teacher always gave here the choice of doing the easy or hard options to some of the centre work, the rest of us had to do as we were told. Sadly that class is no longer going, but I still see Nicky from time to time at the local Sports Centre.

Scottish Ballet did have a 102 year old lady with them.

So who knows. I hope by that time I can dance properly, do the splits, balance on one leg and touch the back of my head with the other, only time will tell, so I’m  just going for it.

• Like 2

Well it's really nice to be back in two classes a week now.

Also the physio has said she wants the parallel jumps Ive been doing to be higher when I next see her and to start balancing in the centre with pirouettes.

The irony is that on Saturday I was doing this in class and the injured foot felt much stronger than my other one!!

I also tried a couple of soutenus turns combined with a couple of Chenees as everything felt good.

I'm sure the Pilates classes have helped a lot especially in the "equipment " room. Ive been doing an exercise on one machine .... lying on my back and pushing off from the end which had a sort of mini trampoline on. It seems a good way of building up some pushing strength but without the weight of the body involved. Ive also found the exercise where you are basically doing the "bridge" movement from yoga but with feet on a sort of soft wobble ball thingy.......simple ....but actually quite hard work!!

Still working on really strengthening hips and glutes but I really love the weekly Pilates session now.

The other thing Ive done recently is put my name on a waiting list to join the Mercury Movers.

This is an over 60's contemporary class run by the Rambert at their Headquarters in London. I'm not usually that keen on joining groups with a senior label but it sounds really fun and is on the same day as LAB so could serve as the morning warm up for the ballet later.

Incidentally talking of LAB Ive sent you an email Michelle as I don't understand the schedule for next half term as it looks like the 6.30 class is no more and has been moved to 8pm which I'm not too happy about I just hope its a mistake on the website as there's no mention of this change in the current email just sent out which is odd!!

I don't know whether there are any other LAB 's on the Forum but perhaps there's a communication Ive missed about this?

• Like 3

Incidentally talking of LAB Ive sent you an email Michelle as I don't understand the schedule for next half term as it looks like the 6.30 class is no more and has been moved to 8pm which I'm not too happy about I just hope its a mistake on the website as there's no mention of this change in the current email just sent out which is odd!!

I don't know whether there are any other LAB 's on the Forum but perhaps there's a communication Ive missed about this?

Hi Lin

The link on the email from LAB did not work for me, however if you follow http://www.londonamateurballet.com/lab-company---how-to-get-involved.html

You will find term2 is open for public booking and the A and B groups still exist at the original times. So I don’t know where you picked you info up from.

Although some classes were on break that week still turned out to be quite frustrating. We had high absenteeism in city’s performance course which doesn’t help positioning and sub group work, a lot of the cleaning that was done which will need repeating this week for those that were absent.

ENB classes were good, however my legs ran out of steam so to speak, by the end of the second class after lots of jumps, we were into glissades and assembles, by the end of the evening my legs were really tired although they could still just about manage the assembles, the glissades were rubbish, then my teacher looked at me and said “Michelle Glissades” , fortunately the class ended just after that.

By the time I got changed and went down the stairs at ENB I suspected my legs were going to play up as they had stiffened a little. The walk back to South Kensington tube station was quite brisk as I needed to get in front of the crowds going in the same direction possible from the Royal Albert Hall.

At the tube station I though wow my legs feel brilliant, but by the time I had travelled to Kings Cross they were starting to really stiffen. By the time I got to Peterborough it was becoming difficult to walk and I was back on to the heal of my left leg, gradually over a few minutes walking I was able to articulate the weight through the whole of the foot.

Thursday at my local hall was hard going even though I had to a large extent warmed up in my own gym at home before hand. It wasn’t until the weekend that thing really returned to normal. However my boyfriend still managed to run into my left ankle with the supermarket trolley in Morrison’s on Saturday Grrr

• Like 1

I had a reply this morning from LAB......there had been an administrive error on the website last week which I assume has now been corrected.....haven't looked today yet ....but yes the two classes are still at the normal times thank goodness.

Take care of those legs and watch out for slippery leaves ......I nearly fell over in Brighton this morning!!

Hi Lin

The legs are really taking a hammering at the moment; I had to drop ENB this week due to two classes of jumps followed by the long walk back to South Kensington tube station, at that point my legs are fine but once I sit down on the tube they stiffen up very quickly. Beside this week I added in a fourth session at the hall so something had to give.

Mondays Coppelia rehearsal is going well, our teacher is sticking to the Choreography movement wise, but now we are changing group formations and layout to accommodate such a small group, in the Waltz of Hours we are up to the Jete en tournant’s

Tuesdays rehearsal at City Academy was a lot better as we had an almost full complement of dancers, a lot more cleaning for presentation: heads arms and turnout especially turnout on poses. Final pose has been reconfigured again but its all coming together quite well.

Wednesday was practice of section of Le Corsaire, 3 Odilesques variation, following my private rep session at Sleaford on Monday. Which intern was inspired by a tiny section (Grand Fouette Saute’s) from that variation at my LAB rehearsal.

Thursday I arrived early at RAD HQ for our LAB rehearsal and used the time before class to run through this sequence from the beginning to the phrase past the LAB piece. I danced it through several times as I had also taken the music in (Bolshoi). Our teacher Tom did not turn up for class but his stand in Lisa did, clearly she did not know what I was doing as she had to provide cover for Tom who was delayed with a flat tyre. Tom arrived for the last half hour of class and so we ran through the two piece he had taught us. Towards the end of class I queried if we were doing the scene from the beginning, the answer was no, it was being done by another group, I was pretty well gutted, I had mentioned this scene many times in the past. It was my favourite ballet and my favourite scene, so close and so far away, I left RAD HQ that night feeling extremely down.

However I’m still working on it in my local hall and with my Rep coach at a studio in Sleaford, this time not for LAB but for me, as I have a couple of other performing options in mind.

No time to dwell on the disappointment of Le Corsaire, as I have to get my head round Coppelia for Mondays rehearsal

I’ve had two really good rehearsal sessions this week, Firstly Mondays “Waltz of Hours” from Coppelia at Lincoln, we had an absent girl return and another one absent this week, so we were consolidating what we had learnt rather than go on. I think we all needed that, there is still one little bit for me where the brain knows what to do but the muscle memory hasn’t fully been burnt in yet as I sometimes end up on the wrong leg when dancing out side the class. One thing I love about that class It has very much a “can do mentality”, only if it really is too difficult do things get simplified, but at least you do get the opportunity to go that extra mile, we are definitely not into simplification yet.

Tuesdays “Winter Snowflake” Inspired by the one from Nutcracker , uses the same music but the choreography is very different and created by our teacher from City Academy. More cleansing this week on presentation to the audience as most of us know the sequence pretty well. I didn't manage to make a mistake this week with what I call the sleeping swan pose. However I did look back on previous weeks videos when I was check arm direction in a practice session in my local hall, and in previous weeks several of us got the wrong leg on that one. Next week is likely to be challenging as we are dancing the sequence through with the mirrors behind us. I think all the girls have their costumes (Romantic tutu’s and White leo’s from the US) now, we receive our tiaras and sparkly stones to sew on our leotards, our teacher should shortly email us the design template for placing the stones.

Mondays private rep session for Le Corsaire has gone reasonably well, my teacher is quite happy with it, there are a couple of tweaks I want to make, plus I need to review the video which she recorded at the end of the session. Next week we are back on to the pirouette sequence of the 3rd Odalisque variation now we have a good studio, and ultimately it can be added to the previous Le Corsaire sequence.

After Christmas all solo’s that represent a finished or near finished state will be danced through at least once weekly to ensure they remain in current memory, I will be releasing Fridays to allow me to do that but I’m unsure at this stage where I will do it. The studios of GoDance in Sleaford which is some 20 miles away or my local hall which has an un-sprung floor.