Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Hi Lin
I see LAB have asked for those that have tutu’s to bring them in for rehearsal starting this week, I trust you will be giving yours an airing.

Our group requires both a classical (pancake) and a romantic, I guess I best take both in on Thursday. As our illustrious leader hasn’t indicated what overlays we are using this year or the leo types, I will be taking the same full professional one I used for our last group rehearsal of Le Corsaire at Saddlers.

First real day back yesterday (Monday), had a chance to check out my new schelude of 4 sessions. I thought at one stage it was going to get blown out of the water as the owner and principal of our Sleaford studio announced they wanted to close that for Monday mornings, my private rep coach can only accommodate Mondays, I couldn’t arrange it later as I have my two classes at ENB to get too, fortunately I received an email this morning confirming they will now be opening at 12.00 (my original start time), so everything still just fits in the schedule.

The ENB combination with Tom of advanced first then intermediate after worked well. Many of the exercises were the same but a bit simple for the Intermediates, it was also less strenuous on my ankles. Although I did do a bit of a whoopsee between classes. I assumed both of my classes were in the upper studio, the best one at ENB. That was the case for the first class, during the 5 minute changeover break I nipped out to the loo. When I got back it was a much smaller class and no Tom, then  another teacher arrived, one I know quite well and we both exchanged helloes, then the penny dropped, this teacher now does the Advanced Professional’s, I was in the wrong class, I graciously retreated to the downstairs studio with the intermediates.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably give it it's first airing on that half term Wednesday he has added at the RAD .......I need to buy some pink tights!!

Not sure what we are wearing for the Manon bits but hopefully it won't be another tutu ......it looks like nice longish skirts that some have been wearing in class not sure if it can be any colour yet etc. Definitely like those anyway......well that's the good news ......the bad news is we may be wearing wigs for the second half bit. My last experience of wearing a wig or in fact any headress ....unless a tiara of course...is that it will,be very HOT.

The worse one I ever wore was the wolfs headress from Peter and the Wolf (great little ballet though) I couldn't really see properly though I loved the part just hated the costume.....and couldn't wait to take it off!!

Talking of pink tights I don't suppose anyone knows who does the nicest colour pink?

By that I suppose I mean paler am not so keen as it gets towards what I call salmon pink!

I usually wear Bloch tights as they are nice and long but anyway if anyone has any ideas would be appreciated before I go on the trial and error route!!

Yes that's my class and these are my friends. I remember the visit by the reporter and photographer.

I think I recognize myself in one of those photos doing a very sloppy side bed.

The class has been on holiday for the last few weeks and I have been going to Sheffield, Huddersfield and Manchester in the meantime.

I had a good look at Bloch and a couple of other dance shops to see for colour and size on Wednesday unfortunately didn't have time to make Capezios so will give them a look next Wednesday

So far Bloch do the size in footed pinks that I normally take in footless blacks(what I usually wear) and the colour looks reasonable.

But will look at Capezios too before making the BIG decision to buy PINK tights!!

Hi Lin

How is your BIG decision going?.

Don’t forget ballet slippers for the show will be specified and they may be more than one type. Last year it was at least two types, but I cant remember the makes, essentially it was pink satins with ribbons and pink canvas with elastics, we were have had black as well for those of us that were doing “La Sylphides Reel”, but that got changed late on to pink. I still have the black ones which were Bloch leather.

Don’t forget we have stage make-up to do too.

It was Tutu,s for our LAB group last week, at least for two of us. The session was somewhat disappointing as there were only 5 of us present. I think at one time last term we were up to about 12 or 13. It was suggested that we are now at least 10. As it was, all of the original group of four were present so we went through one of our Le Corsaire pieces, this time with recorded music for the show and no pianist. The tempo was somewhat quicker and the ending a little different, so we have added a little bit of port de bras and pose on the end to fill the end of the music. The tutu’s were particularly relevant as the piece incorporated partner work with our male dancer.

I use tutu’s routinely for the final session for each of my private rep pieces as it does make a difference to the way you dance it. The latest piece I’ve been working on “Giselle’s variation” from act 1, after the first session it was apparent that we needed longer skirts as tie round chiffons were inadequate. The next session we went to using a long skirt as it features quite strongly in the port de bras through-out the variation. The last session this Friday is to full professional costume to add realism and hopefully no fumbling to pickup the skirt on time where required, not sure if the wings will help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last two weeks has seen another addition to my ballet activities, it is an additional hire of my Sleaford studio Friday afternoons, and following a private rep session at Heckington Lincs which is only a few miles away, so keeps my travelling expenses down.

The aim of the Sleaford studio is to allow me to dance through each of the repertoire solo variations I have learnt to keep them refreshed in muscle and brain memory. These are danced on my own so no one is there to prompt me; however my boyfriend came along and watched the second week.

There are two things that have surprised me, firstly a few months ago, around Christmas time I learnt two pieces from Le Corsaire, I was amazed at how much I had forgotten and had to really think about it. Secondly on the second week how much I had over estimated the number of solos I could dance through in that hour. It was my intention to dance through them a number of times, but in reality apart from some minor tweaking I only danced them through twice, which was two from Le Corsaire, Black swan solo, Odettes solo Act2, Giselle solo Act1.

When we finish off Giselle’s Solo at Heckington we went to costume, oh poo it was too long. It seems an awful shame to shorten the skirt which has a type of delicate embroidered pattern on it. However the costume seems ideal for Les Sylphides with the little wings, so I think a bit of creative choreography is necessary for an inspired solo for Les Sylphides. As for Giselle, thats just another costume to find that is appropriate.

Next week we are spending half the time finishing off Odette’s solo, with the other half on basic fouettes which I have never learnt properly. This week I am foot strengthening for Friday. If the fouettes show promise then we will try to develop them for the Black Swan coda. My Heckington teacher/coach has also offered me a second hour each Friday, but for the time being I have declined as I really don’t want to add any more rep in, in the same week, as I’m still having to learn and rehearse for our LAB Gala. In September, Tuesdays will be taken up with another performance course with a Christmas show at the end of it. My poor little brain can only handle so much, but rep we be added too steadily each week for the next couple of years or so.

Another couple of months and it will be our LAB Gala at the Bloomsbury Theatre in London; tickets can be booked via the following Link: https://www.thebloomsbury.com/event/run/14045

At least with May bank holiday things are a little quieter this week, no Monday private rep session with my Lincoln teacher as the Sleaford studio is closed, no Monday classes at ENB either. However I did manage to do a session down my local hall, I even extended it to two hours this week. On the down side, there is no hall for my practice on Thursday prior to LAB rehearsal at RAD as the hall becomes our local polling station this week.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here, after last years LAB Summer Intensive I took quite a long break due to financial/time issues and I'm happy to say I am finally back to classes!

In preparation for the next LAB intensive I've got a 4 day class timetable which consists of Mondays/Wednesdays at London Russian Ballet School, Friday with Crystal Ballet & Saturday with Hannah Frost at DanceWorks (sometimes mixing in Sundays with Franziska at DanceWorks depending on how busy my week was) (all beginner level currently, hoping to move up after a month or 2 considering the volume of classes) I'm also hoping to mix in some private lessons with Hannah twice a month or so.

I know I met some of you at LAB last year, so I'll see you again this year!

• Like 3

Hi David

I’m glad to see you are back on the forum, and I do remember you at one of the LAB intensives at RBS, I think it was Don Quixote but not sure.

I’m not sure if I will be at any of the LAB intensives this year as I have adopted a policy of not going on Intensives or workshops unless I know precisely what I am paying for. That is, the scene and the artist’s choreography being taught. I have spoken to Tom about this as I see quite a lot of him as I’m one of the LAB Company of dancer; also Tom is my teacher at ENB for my Intermediate and Advanced Adult Ballet classes.

I have the same issue with RAD, as at one time I would virtually do every repertoire workshop they advertised including travelling up to Edinburgh. I have spoken to them recently on this as I’m at RAD HQ every Thursday evening for our LAB rehearsals, but they are not willing to change their position.

For me its simple, I have two private repertoire coaches which are brilliant ballet teachers that I use every week, one on a Monday the other on a Friday. That is far more cost effective than to pay and pray I may get something I can use from an intensive or rep workshop. However I do miss not meeting the dancers I have met many many times before, that is really sad.

Anyway good luck with the Intensive, which one are you doing Giselle or La Bayadere. I know Tom has some summer shorts planned but no details yet, which are generally short solo's taught 2 hours a week over two weeks, I did the Black Swan solo from Swan Lake, and Gazmatti solo from Le Corsaire / La Bayadere, those I most definitely will be attending.

Which class are you attending at London Russian? David?

Ive had some bad luck this year first an Achilles injury which I recovered from finally by February then had about six weeks starting to build up classes again when I injured my knee! This has meant the last six weeks have been back to just LAB class each week.

However now my knee is nearly better am again from this week starting to build up classes again

I'll be doing two from this week and three by beginning of June hopefully but am hoping to get to some London Russian classes once I'm able to do pirouettes on both sides and can jump normally (for me) etc.

I had just planned to do a class there when I injured my knee in March.

So a funny year really where have felt a bit frustrated as not really been able to take as much part as wanted to and have been fed up having to semi mark in LAB rehearsals for a large part of the year.

Anyway fingers crossed am hoping to do Chelsea Ballet Summer School in August and perhaps some of the LAB shorts!

• Like 1

Michelle, I'm doing the Giselle week, I'll have to see about the shorts, maybe I'll see you there!

Lin, at the moment I'm only doing the beginner classes, I'm a little concerned about their teaching techniques though, they seem to be forcing turn out even on beginner adults. 

Hi David

The Giselle Intensive should be quite good, there is a lot a fantastic material in Act 1, I've done Giselle a number of times with City Academy, but that was always from a Cuban version where our teacher trained, my focus now is on solo’s. I already have Giselle’s solo on weekly refreshing practice, as covered that just recently, its based on the performance of Natalia Osipova. but we have tweaked it a little, the pose turns are on the diagonal, rather than in a circle, they have to be kept very tight with only a tiny travel as the music is incredibly fast.

I have a Swan Lake workshop coming up, at least I know what is being taught so I have the opportunity to prepare for it.

I don’t know how Lin’s LAB rehearsals are going but we had nearly half our group absent last week and we are on the run-up to the show where we are cleansing and polishing our performance pieces.

My private classes were a bit of a disaster too. Friday I receive a text to say my teachers little boy was ill and she had to cancel. Fortunately I see the text before setting out. A little disappointing as I really wanted to get on with the black swan coda, but there was always my Monday session with another private teacher. This time my phone had been off and I arrived at my Sleaford studio, turned the phone on and shock horror my Monday teacher couldn’t make it either. Her gran had died.

At least when I see Tom at ENB Monday night, he added some fouette’s into barre and centre exercises for the advance class, that was really good of him.

I missed classes at Sleaford tonight (Wednesday), the A17 was blocked due to an accident so I had to turn back and work on material at for the Swan Lake workshop in June as there is a lot to cover.

Starting Friday I’m ramping up to 3 private repertoire classes a week.

Well I haven't been to London Russian for a year now so perhaps they've had some changes of teachers??

I used to do the beginners Plus classes but in the daytime and we were never forced to turn out!! I would have said something after the class otherwise!! I also used to adapt some of the barre stretching exercises and nobody ever said anything luckily!!

I'm having a private lesson with Franziska for the first time for a while next Wednesday......I missed the session booked because of my knee injury. I really enjoy these as it's nice to be able to choose what to work on and I find it difficult to get to her evening classes at Danceworks etc. This next week I'm concentrating on the upper body use of shoulders and head and so on.....using some of the ideas from her Friday evening special focus classes which I cannot get to. Will also be looking at a few bits of LAB We've been working on with her to get some better timing hopefully.

Our LAB rehearsals have been great recently as have been going over both the Corsaire and Manon .....yesterday we spent more time on Corsaire whereas previous week was more on Manon etc.........so especially with the Corsaire which we hadn't done for a while I'm starting to feel much happier about it now the memory is refreshed!! Numbers have been okay though there are always three or four missing.......Ive got to miss one session myself in June as will be in Cornwall for a week.

Franziska also has a workshop coming up on May 30th that I had hoped to do but am not quite ready for a workshop this month and also need to be careful as everything is revolving around being fit for the LAB performance at the moment!!

Her next one in August should be good as this one will be repertoire based...so will look forward to that again fingers crossed!

Edited by LinMM

Hi Lin.

We had a much better attendance at LAB this week, only a couple missing. Well that was after we all got there. I was around three quarters of an hour late as the traffic was horrendous. Some say a road at Kings Cross was closed and the traffic diverted ended up on the embankment, others say it was due to the start-up of Chelsea flower show. Either way, it resulted in me being on the 170 bus for over an hour and a half. When we finally crossed the Thames we all had to disembark. There I met one on the other LAB girls, she was on the same bus unknown to me, she asked should we wait, I said no, let leg it, it was pouring down with rain but we both had brollies. When I got to LAB another girl arrived about 5 minute after us. The latest girl arrived 15 minutes before the end of the class.

I had a short chat to the guy on reception at RAD before I left, and one of their teachers missed two classes because of traffic. For me it just seemed like a week of problems and cancellations. At least my addition session on Friday seemed to work out ok, so I think it’s sustainable, although I was extremely tired.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weeks Half term didn’t turn out to be quite as restful as I had anticipated even though all my classes had shut down with the exception of our LAB Group rehearsal on the Wednesday.

As Monday was a bank holiday, I had anticipated a ballet free day, but wrong. Although I had no teachers for that day, just on the off-chance I enquired about the availability of my local hall expecting it to be booked for some special bank holiday function. There was no bookings at all for that day, so I booked it for an hour the previous Thursday. The lady at the post office that looks after the hall keys, said just a moment we are closed on the Monday, could you collect the keys Sunday before 12.30, wow I could have had the hall for nearly two days, but I did get a couple of hours of ballet in on the Monday.

Wednesday was our big day for Group rehearsal, sadly there were several dancers missing, someone estimated about 20, but I guess there were around 60 present. I also met LinMM there in her new tutu.

We managed to cover all of act one of the show “Le Corsaire” and it certainly highlighted a few issues for our group. Nearly all of our weekly rehearsals have been with a pianist where the tempo is slightly slower and the music well accented for counting and signature identification. For Le Corsaire for the show we are dancing to an orchestral piece which I believe is not intended for dance, the reason I say that, I know Bolshoi’s music reasonably well, and it too is well accented and much easier to dance too. The first piece my group perform is right in the middle of a scene and in the middle of the music too, that one to be fair isn’t too bad.

Our second piece which is danced very much like a pas de trios, with me and another girl perched on our male dancers arms in attitude. and is extremely fast, during our first run-thru he was barely into position when we both tried to perch on his arms, from there it was a couple of temps leve – pas de chats, before returning with a couple of pose turn. After the pas de chat I looked back and thought Oh heck, I had travelled too far, I think it was the fact we had a lot more space in a very much larger studio this time that we were used to. We had the opportunity of running everything through a second time later that evening and things were very much better. I do hope for the remaining half term for this piece we use the orchestral music as in the show.

Although there was no LAB on Thursday I still kept my hall booking and the same with Friday at my Sleaford studio. Fridays I am up to 7 solo’s to dance through to keep them in the brain and body and possible another two by next weekend. Even so I am still inclined to forget the odd bit, even though they are danced through every week.

On the good side my flexibility is increasing, I base lined it about 3 to 4 month ago, my boyfriend measure me leg extension laid on my back as in the front splits fast program, at that time it was 60 inches with about an inch difference between the two legs. I knew it had increased by a couple of inches or so, so I decided to make a proper measuring device for it. I couldn’t believe it, I had gained 11 inches, In the past week I have added nearly another two inches to it. However I haven’t the strength to lift un aided through that range.

At one stage I did contemplate using a similar rep rate to Alfredson’s Heel Drop Protocol which I know is very effective, which is basically 15 on each foot three times.

When I tried a similar rate using high kicks from Tai Kwon Do, similar to Grand Battements. At 15 reps very slight movement is just detectable in the left hip, at 30 reps movement is clearly present. At 45 reps movement is much greater and quite unpleasant but not painful. I am mindful that this could lead to injury so it’s limited to 15 reps in one session. I also have movement on the kneecap too on the left leg which became apparent on the hopping ballone’s in Giselle’s solo from Act 1, the left is fine for hopping, but not for ballone’s, although the kneecap movement isn’t painful, it feels extremely unpleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

Another slight rest bite for the ankles as there is no ENB classes for the next 3 weeks, however I have made an additional studio booking at Sleaford for Rep familiarisation and practice as its my Swan Lake workshop on Sunday.

Then priorities change as its only a couple of weeks to our full dress rehearsal for the LAB Gala. However I will be making a start on Sleeping Beauties Blue Bird solo as that’s required on one of LAB’s Summer shorts on 7th July, a few days after the show. Unfortunately I don’t know what artist’s version this is based on, so its likely I will choreograph a hybrid version from 2 or 3 of my own. All will be revealed during the first session, and hopefully I can have that a bit more polished by the last session on the 14th.

With the Gala performance and the workshops out of the way its time to think about Christmas so it’s Nutcrackers Sugar Plum Fairy variation next, as I need that, and my own creation of Nutcracker's Grand Pas de deux, as I will be dancing this as a show piece as a Christmas Salsa party with a Salsa group I belong too. My partner for this is my boyfriend Adrian who is a non ballet dancer but is a willing scare crow for this performance so needless to say he will not be attempting lifts of any kind.

All being well I will be taking The Sugar Plum Fairy variation and three other solo’s up to Ballet West in Scotland for final polishing.

There's also the ENB workshop on Nutcracker taking place in December ......the 29th I think ...will check.

Last year did a bit from Snowflakes which was very enjoyable especially doing the whole thing on the Coliseum stage!!

All being well will probably do this again this year and also afterwards you get to watch the Company in class which is always a real treat.

Hi Lin

Thanks for the info, it is on the 29th which seems unusual as its on a Monday, no sure if I will do it, as I'm tending to reject workshops that are not specifying what they are doing. If it’s as a taster or a bit of fun, that’s fine, but for serious rep then I can do far better with my regular rep coaches.

If you remember I did that one last year but I didn’t stop for the Company class as I had a performance to do at Lincoln that evening.

I see LAB has moved the summer shorts back a week, which is a bit of a shame as it give me less prep time for Ballet West.

Only just seen this move!! But for me it's good as I wasn't going to do,the Bluebird one originally......thought I'd need a few days to recover from the performances etc!, but now it's not till the following week Ive decided to do it after all.

I'm planning on the Bluebird one and the "who cares" one....not the Tchaikovsky one this time.

Should just say that the LAB shorts are open to anyone not just LAB company members. They are held at the Place near Kings cross in London.

I see ENB have posted even more workshops today:

6 Sep, 10.00 – 16.00: Ballet Intensive: Second Breath (Markova House)

29 Dec, 9.30 – 12.00: Adult Ballet Workshop: Nutcracker (London Coliseum)

17 Jan, 9.30 – 12.00: Adult Ballet Workshop: Le Corsaire (London Coliseum)

10 Apr, 10.00 – 16.00: Ballet Intensive: She Said (Markova House)

29 May, 10.00 – 16.00: Ballet Intensive: Swan Lake (Markova House)

• Like 1

Hi Lin

Yes, I booked the last Le Corsaire one, I think it was possibly one of their intensives but it clashed with our LAB Gala dress rehearsal date, so I had to cancel it. I will definitely be down for Le Corsaire, I did one at Oxford with ENB and it was the best one I have ever been to of theirs.

I guess I will do the Nutcracker just after Christmas as I will be getting a bit bored by then and Adrian will be back home and at work. I quite fancy ENB’s Intensive on “Swan Lake in the round”, I wish we could do that in the Royal Albert Hall though.

I bet you are not doing the LAB Shorts in your new tutu, I most certainly will be in an appropriate tutu for the second session of Blue Bird, I really want that as a performance piece, my version of course.

As for recovering from the LAB Gala performances, I’m strait in with 5 sessions on the next day but one (Monday), they say a change is as good as a rest.

Went to a lovely Swan Lake workshop at The Place studios in London run by “Dance Alive”, we were taught two pieces which I guess were at extreme ends of the spectrum with firstly a nice waltz’y piece from Act 1 The Pas de Trios (Main), we didn’t do the associated solo’s this time.  We were eight girls and two guys so the choreography was adapted a little to accommodate this.

The next piece was the ABT version of the Black Swan solo from Act 3, which was very much in line with the original choreography with the option for dancers to simplify where needed.

Then to finish was the Black Swan coda, that was heavily adapted as I don’t think any of us could have done the 32 Fouettes, well at least not yet. But we had the music and the enchainement was still quite dance’y with some of the original steps, lively and quite enjoyable.

“Dance Alive” have a “Le Corsaire” workshop coming up on the 6 September at one of Sadlers Wells studios.

“ Dance Alive” are forming an amateur classical ballet company called “Alive Ballet Company” which is debuting in September in London with there first performance booked for 5th December. They will be looking for dancers to get intouch with them, I certainly will be performing with them.

Their website is still under construction and should be ready soon “WWW. DanceAlive.London”, I have not further info at the moment, but will keep the forum updated with developments.

• Like 1