Upright Piano Looking for a New Home.

Fiz

As some of you may know, we are about to put our house up for sale. I have an upright Weber piano in great condition that needs someone to love and play it. It's free to anyone who will collect it. This is a genuine offer.

Oh Fiz, if only you'd put this up last week....we've been wanting a piano for years and could never afford one, then last week we were chatting to a neighbour who said 'I don't suppose you want an upright piano do you' and we jumped at the chance! So from nothing, I now have two chances of getting an upright :( Will keep any eye/ear open for you. Would you like me to put a notice on our e-board at work?

• Like 1

Oh, Sim, I'd be so pleased if you would! I can't bear the idea of it being destroyed. I'd love to keep it really but I never learned and my dds had lessons but did not keep it up, plus they have nowhere to store it.

I tried very hard to get rid of my piano when we were moving for one reason or another we still have it.  I may take up lessons again - do hope you manage to find a good home for it.  I didn't think at the time but have you tried house clearance companies?  I did see a piano the same make as mine in the Brackley Antique Centre and it did sell in the end but it was in much better condition than mine.  I'm presuming that it was from a house clearance that it ended up in the Antique Centre.

Fiz

You might want to try gumtree or something like that.  I don't know if our church would pay the moving fees but the one we currently have is really only fit for landfill - you can't play anything in more than two flats/sharps after the second hymn because the black notes have stuck down by then!  And as for tuning ...

Hi Fiz

I will ask my husband if he is interested (he and both girls play but we only have an electronic keyboard :( ) But please if you have the opportunity to find a charitable cause or Meadowblythe's church can collect please go with those! Otherwise we will make a donation to a charity of your choice if we do end up taking you up on your generous offer! We are off on our holidays this weekend so will check thread when we get back. When is your deadline for getting rid of it?

I have tried Gumtree, Free cycle, Facebook, Twitter and a local shop. The piano won't go to landfill. I am going to find a home for it or put it into storage if possible. The reason I want it to go is it takes up too much space in one particular room and the estate agent thinks the room would look bigger if it wasn't there.

,,the estate agent thinks the room would look bigger if it wasn't there.

It's a bit like all those TV property programmes featuring homes totally devoid of books.   Do they think only philistines buy houses?

My husband's parents bought a piano for his brother to play on when he was a boy. The piano stayed in their apartment, which after their deaths in the 1980s was rented out. Sadly his brother died also in 2000 without managing to move the piano into his own home, as he had no room. Our son did up the apartment in order to live in it himself and the piano was moved onto a small closed balcony, whilst the refurbishing was going on. It stood there in the dust, neglected and unplayed. Eventually it was moved into a store room at my husband's office and continued to stand there waiting to be brought back to life. No-one could bear to sell it and we all felt it aught to go to his brother's oldest son, but he didn't have room for it either. A year or two ago he finally moved with his young family into a large enough house and the piano was moved at last to where it belonged. After years of silence, it was tuned and mended, cleaned and polished and wonder of wonders it sang out again in perfect pitch, with a lovely tone. What was the icing on the cake, it turns out that the oldest grandson seems to have inherited his Grandpa's ear for music and he plays it every day. Don't worry if you have to store it for a while - I'm sure your piano too will sing again.....

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Fiz, I do hope you have found a good home for it. My only suggestion would be to ask whoever tunes it for you (or failing that, ring around local piano-tuners) in case they know of someone looking.

I tried this route when my grandmother's lovely Edwardian upright had to go 10 years ago when I swapped over to an old square piano. It was a real wrench, as I had grown up with it, learned to play (a bit) on it and had told it all my worries and secrets for 50 years. A nice lady came, played it a bit, said she'd love to have it  . . . As she got out her cheque book, there was a massive clap of thunder from a clear sky. My grandmother, dead for 30-odd years, evidently did NOT approve of what I was doing.

All the best with the move.

• Like 4

I *think* it is going at the weekend to a mother with to very young boys. Music runs strongly in their family. Certainly the eldest seems very taken with it as he shyly stroked the keys :) Thank you, Simon, and also for the story. Your grandmother sounds formidable, in the French meaning of that word.

• Like 1

I'm looking at these right now!!

If you get a touch sensitive one they can be very good indeed and of course the advantage is that you can practice via headphones so can protect the neighbours from any latish practices!

There are several good makes of Yamaha but I'm going towards looking for a second hand Roland. I may even end up advertising on this site.

Ive got to the stage where my 61 note keyboard from Lidl is no longer serving me and I now also need a pedal!! The other week I had to change the ending of a piece because there weren't enough notes available!! Not ideal and piano teacher only partly amused!!

Ive been learning VERY slowly now for about five years but am only about grade 4 standard!!

Am doing the Burgmuller 25 studies at the moment and really love them especially no. 21!

Ive got some model no,s if you want but still haven't made up my mind!! When you're next in London got to the Music Department (5th floor I think) in Harrods and there is quite a range there from about £1000 to £22,000 !! It at least can give you an idea and then look for a second hand one!

Moomin, my daughters greatly preferred the digital keyboard my brother gave them. It was excellent and a big help with the music GSCE, so yes, I do think so. I promise if the other person doesn't come through that I will contact you.

Most people who teach music will go for a real piano but often real pianos which have to be in good condition etc can be very expensive too. My own piano teacher has one of these £22,000 ones!! Of course it's great to play on and I'm not sure if a digital could ever equal it in tone and sound but for the likes of me a digital one will do! It s quite hard to push the notes down on her piano after my easy push keyboard! That's why touch sensitive can be better as its more like the feel of a real piano.

The ones I have been looking at havent got much fancy stuff on them though you can get these too. I just wanted as near a basic piano as possible.

The other advantage of digital is you can record your own playing which is a good learning tool as well.

• Like 1