You've got to laugh....

Pups_mum

The only D I ever got on a school report was for sport. Coincidentally it was the term I had been given permission to miss sport to go to a weekly afternoon private lesson at my local ballet school. I was excused Sport from yr 10 onwards.

My teenage logic questioned the D, which for me implied poor - surely if I was poor she would have known who I was? I think I was more indignant about being given a D without attending the class than the fact I been graded for a class Id never attended!

• Like 3

When I was taking the morning Company class at San Diego Ballet there was a very special teacher who also taught at a college not far from my home and he invited me to take his advanced college ballet class in the afternoon.   I was really happy about this and  I officially registered for the class and at the end of the term got a "A." 

He then invited me to sign up for the next term - same advanced class.  I did but this time at the end of the term I got an "E" - failure!

Since I was already dancing professionally, and was not signed up at the college for any other classes, the grade didn't really affect me - but it did hurt my ....ok......pride.

So, I went up to him and said: "Larry (Eddington) - why did you give me an "E"?

He said:  "Oh - I didn't do that - the school's computer did.  It assumes that if you have to repeat the class that many times you aren't making any progress.

Academia is not set up for the actual making of a dancer.

• Like 5

Gosh, I feel very fortunate in dd's academic school, which allows her to miss PE. Plus their reports are quite simple - you get your exam results/overall level, the teacher's projected level, and then either "Below Expectations", "Met Expectations" or "Exceeded Expectations". For PE they just mark her as "Met Expectations" and as there's no exam there's no result. :-D

• Like 4

DD is possibly unusual then in loving and doing well in sports as well as dancing at a high level (RAD Advanced 1)? She plays on the school A teams and her core strength, speed and agility is commented on- especially when her defending in netball involves an arabesque, rising quickly onto demi pointe to move closer to the shooter....;-)

• Like 1

It would be battle of the arabesques between you, Dance*is*life, with you as shooter and DD defending!! I think part of the effectiveness of DD's defending technique is that it is so totally unexpected - suddenly a ballet dancer appears within the very competitive sportswoman - and shooters are visibly taken aback by the position and the fact that it allows her to move her arms very close to them as they try to shoot, without moving her feet!

Her sports teachers are appreciative but quickly realised that telling the other defenders to 'do what she does' doesn't work, as they aren't able to do the arabesque, much less rise straight to demi pointe and therefore move right in towards the shooter ;-)

She has also found that hurdling technique comes very easily....!

• Like 1

I forgot to add that DD has been selected to do the 'push in' when short corners are taken in hockey. Another mum commented that there had never been such an elegant position taken by a player doing the 'push in' ; I realised that she meant that DD is perfectly turned out, ha ha!

• Like 1

I also have a very sporty DD.  She is also selected for defence in netball every time and although she gets chosen for the hurdles, she usually manages to avoid that one as she is also good at long and high jump and is not allowed to represent the school at all three.

• Like 1

Martin high jumped for the school and local athletics club. Also started pole vault. But the high jump caused great and serious problems. his hip area started hurting. Physio said problem was ballet and high jump use diametrically different muscles. His periformis was in a state and it took years to sort. Affected his flexibility etc. At one point he could barely lift his leg.

He had to tell the school he couldn't jump for them . They were very cross as he was very good. But he had decided he wanted to dance professionally so he had to make the choice. He did one pole vault comp for Kent but that had to go too.

I had to share this with you...

This morning, we received an official letter from the ministry of Eduction which we get every year to allow our DDs to join a special programme for artists and sports orientated kids. It states, like it does every year, that they can join the programme for the next year as long as their results show sufficient commitment to academic subjects. Except this year DD1's letter states that she can stay on the programme as long as DD3 shows sufficient commitment! And DD2 can stay on the programme as long as DD3 shows sufficient commitment!

So in short DD1 & DD2 can stay on the special programme and do nothing as long as DD3 works enough for the 3 of them!

Bless her and "cut, paste and copy"!

• Like 8

Slightly off topic but I was a bit surprised to see in the RBS Annual Report for 2012 that 7 of the dancers got a C for AS Level Dance and one a D.  Fair enough, maybe it's a lot of writing and not much dancing, but a C/D?!  Surely that's like Einstein getting a C for physics!

Slightly off topic but I was a bit surprised to see in the RBS Annual Report for 2012 that 7 of the dancers got a C for AS Level Dance and one a D.  Fair enough, maybe it's a lot of writing and not much dancing, but a C/D?!  Surely that's like Einstein getting a C for physics!

You must bear in mind that it is the Year 11 students taking AS level Dance Studies at WL.  The majority of the year being 15/16 years old and at least one being 14, when they took the exam.  This is not an easy exam (just because they are at vocational school), there is a lot of study and not related to ballet, so for students who have not studied any other dance genre, it is hard.  My daughter really thought she would get a D, but was amazed to get a B and she is very academic.

Also meant to add that they have decided that they will not offer Dance Studies AS level at WL anymore, as it is a lot of work on top of their GCSE's and auditioning commitments.

LTD

Edited by Living the Dream
  • Like 1

Well this thread has made me chuckle over the past few days so thank you all for bringing a smile to my face!  However, until yesterday I didnt think I had anything to offer - but I now do!!

My daughter came out of school yesterday and was talking about sports day - she loves sport as well as her dance so this is a day she really looks forward to.  It seems each year group is left to organise cover for each event (that sounds a nightmare to me but they seem to make it work!).  My DD had already been nominated for the 300m but they were looking for somebody to do long jump - My DD was put forward on the grounds that she does dance so therefore must be really good at doing "jumpy things"!

I can just see her doing jetes towards the sand - not sure that's what they had in mind!

• Like 6

I was reading through dd's report yesterday and the history teacher had written " xxx is a quiet and self-contained pupil who rarely contributes to class discussions and debates. " I thought, that really is not my daughter... but then ds piped up, "Mum that's what he wrote in my report last year!" And it is - the same first sentence, word for word!

As a teacher nothing makes me madder than those who cant be bothered to write a proper report! I pride myself on knowing my students well enough to be able to give a parent a real insight into how there child is in school and what there strengths and weaknesses are. I dont sugar coat but tell it how it is though I will always give suggestions of how to improve if that is what is needed. thank goodness we dont have to write long hand anymore but I hate cut and paste, how can you say the same about any two children since no two are the same. I am lucky enough to teach in a small school but even when I taught in the UK it was the same. I have giggled at some of your posts but still cant quite believe there are mistakes like this, wow!

Sorry rant over!

• Like 3

My daughter got an 'under target' evaluation in one of her subjects and an overall level 6 (her target was 7c). All her essays for the year had been marked at 7a and her two assessment tests were 7b and 7a. It doesn't take a maths genius to work out the average of several 7a's and b's (no matter how they are weighted) cannot possibly be a 6!!!!

On the other hand I clearly remember a school report of mine that ran

'xx works well'

'xx has worked well'

'xx always works well'

'xx consistently works well'

and so on ad nauseum. It made me feel like an extraordinarily dull person!!! So i have to say that by and large the quality of school reports has improved since my day!

Edited by CeliB

I hope you went in to complain and dispute the final mark CeliB!

By the way I will never forget when my son won a prize and got a mark of 100 for an English essay. His teacher wrote on it - I found it hard to read your writing, but I am sure that it is excellent.  I, on the other hand, did read the essay, in spite of his minute handwriting, and it was a load of balderdash - perhaps it showed a high level of English, but it definitely made no sense.  My theory was that the teacher couldn't understand it, so thought that it must be brilliant!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2

Well this thread has made me chuckle over the past few days so thank you all for bringing a smile to my face!  However, until yesterday I didnt think I had anything to offer - but I now do!!

My daughter came out of school yesterday and was talking about sports day - she loves sport as well as her dance so this is a day she really looks forward to.  It seems each year group is left to organise cover for each event (that sounds a nightmare to me but they seem to make it work!).  My DD had already been nominated for the 300m but they were looking for somebody to do long jump - My DD was put forward on the grounds that she does dance so therefore must be really good at doing "jumpy things"!

I can just see her doing jetes towards the sand - not sure that's what they had in mind!

Funny you should say that... last year dd did the long jump for the first time, and the teacher sent off for the tape measure because she couldn't quite believe her eyes!!!

• Like 1

Your comment about jetes made me think she might be good at triple jump!

• Like 1

"Your comment about jetes made me think she might be good at triple jump!"

DS was entered for 1500m, javelin, long jump and triple jump, came 2nd in 1500m and first in everything else, Teacher just shrugged and said, well I knew you'd be good because of all your dancing

• Like 2