You've got to laugh....

Pups_mum

Comment in DD's school report this year from her games teacher

"Goals for next year : She should continue to improve her physical fitness and needs to start participating in at least one physical activity outside of school hours."

So the 15-20 hours per week of dance that she does don't count then........

• Like 18

I think I can top that one, my Dd's PE teacher put on her report... that "whist playing badminton you may find moving towards the shuttlecock will give you a better chance of hitting It"..!! after I finished laughing I asked her why she isn't moving to hit it she replied because she don't even play badminton in her school :wacko:  I think her PE teacher needs to use a different copy and paste form :D

• Like 4

i once sat through a parents evening interveiw thinking that it didn't sound like the teacher knew my son at all. Eventually I said "we are talking about the same Jamie, aren't we?" the teacher squirmed a bit and eventually had to own up that hed been talking about a different child altogether.

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 6

Errrr "along for the ride mum", that happened to me too, I'm embarrassed to say! A mother phoned me and said that she was x's mother. I had two students of that name and I was sure I was talking to the one who'd been giving me problems - otherwise why would the mother phone? It took me a while before I suddenly realised that in fact I was talking to the other one's mother! :( I had to do some quick thinking to adapt my remarks to fit the other student! Since then I have learnt not to be shy, but to ask which "x" we're talking about!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 3

Sadly I don't think this comment is a cut and paste failure or a case of mistaken identity as this teacher has previously been displeased that DD doesn't come to any of the after school sports clubs and has been a bit disparaging about her dancing. I would like to get her along to some of DDs classes and see if she still thinks dance isn't a physical activity. Tomorrow would be good in fact, when she does 2 hours of advanced foundation ballet immediately followed by an hour of grade 6 modern. I think some of the netball team might struggle with that.....

• Like 8

Why don't you ask your dd's PE teacher to participate in one of her longer and more strenuous dance classes, and see how long they last!!!

Edited to add: 

PS my dd got a C for Geography once, which was odd, as she hadn't done it at all that term... ;)

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

I was at loggerheads with PE from day one, I just couldn't find any grace in it. I had similar comments on my school reports about "needing to engage in some form of additional physical activity outside of the PE class" the PE teacher was filly aware of how much I danced ...

With the right amount of creativity I managed to make the most of PE, split jetes over the hurdles, sissones into the long jump, sneaky pirouette practise in doubles tennis (I was of no use to anyone) rounders provided plenty of opportunities to practise, gymnastics was the perfect opportunity to practise balance, alignment, arabesques etc

• Like 4

This takes me back! One time at school Martin was doing cross country. Well he cheated and cut the course short. Big trouble. (Rightly) But detention was during dance time. For whatever reason I rang the school and spoke to teacher. He was the one teacher who had a problem with Martin dancing. I listened to a long lecture re activity, fitness etc. So my first thing was to list Martin's dancing.... there was silence then "oh ok ". My suggestion was lunchtime detention. 

Couple of years later younger son  doing cross country. He took too long. Walked I think .(Again he did a lot of sport). apparently teacher was very cross with the boys and handed out detentions except to Max. He looked at Max and said "I'm not messing with your Mum again". 

Then re teachers evening... we sat down with Max . Teacher started on about how awful Max was etc. We were stunned as he wasn't. Eventually, when I could get a word in I asked  "which Max are you talking about"..... wrong Max. To give him his due teacher apologised profusely but then said he'd already seen other Max's mum who had seemed delighted and stunned with the report he gave her.

• Like 7

Re: cuttting and pasting in reports. My dd changed sex half way through one report and became male!

When I was at school I remember one PE report in which I got an A for effort in PE and the comment 'is working hard to improve her tennis' but the D for achivement clearly said it wasn't having any effect!

• Like 1

I was totally hopeless at sport - hockey scared the life out of me (I couldn't afford my dancer's legs to get hit) I couldn't see the ball in tennis (vanity wouldn't allow me to wear glasses) my arms were too weak to allow me to hang on the wall barres or climb ropes (too used to making pretty ballet movements) etc etc etc. Anyway, one term we had class elections and because I was quite popular I got a lot of votes, but sadly not enough to become form captain - what I did become was deputy sports captain - oh dear.......... :(

• Like 2

It's easily done.  On my first parent's evening at my current school I spoke to a parent for 5 minutes about her enthusiastic, bright son (she was delighted).  Only when she asked me a question did I realise there was no way this was the same child. She had come to the wrong classroom and by coincidence her son had the same name as the next child on my list!  Sent her next door and apologised to the actual child's parents who were waiting patiently for their appointment!  Always write both names on my board now - just in case.  

As a former head of year, I used to have to check reports. My favourite 'mistake' was the ICT teacher who had discovered find and replace (this was back in the mid 90's so not all had). His report was full of this kind of thing - "John Smith has had an ejohnsmithcellent year".

But I also remember every trainee PE teacher at college also having to do dance as part of their course. No more Obviously.

When I retired from dancing I was still teaching quite a lot and so was still getting a lot of exercise every day.  But when I retired from teaching, I was trying to decide what kind of exercise to do - a ballet barre - but also maybe something else.  It occured to me that I had no idea how much the average person should exercise.

So, on the next checkup visit to the doctor I asked him:  "How much does does the average person exercise?"

He sighed deeply and  said:  "My dear, the average person doesn't exercise."

• Like 12

Pups mum I know exactly how you feel.  My dd's PE teacher had the gall to say to me that she didn't take any interest in her own physical fitness.  On asking why the teacher assumed that she stated that my dd didn't try hard enough in PE.  At which point I simply stated that she was probably tired from the 22 hours of dance lessons per week, and that PE wasn't high on her agenda.  At which point the PE teacher shut up rather quickly.

However said PE teacher also doesn't recognise dance as a mode of fitness.  Shame they are so shortsighted!

• Like 2

Oh dear. Dd hates PE and is ecstatic she won't have to do it next year

But at least her school report acknowledges that "understandably she enjoys the gymnastic & dance elements of PE the most"

However in a PE dance lesson they were asked to go into groups and make up dances. When they performed them to each other they were asked to give comments. Dd commented " I really liked your movements & use of the space, now you need to work on getting the moves together as sometimes you weren't". The male PE teacher told her off for making negative comments - dd is very used to having to give and be given constructive feedback in drama & choreo sessions.

The school is very competitive in sports - I bet that wouldn't have been an issue in cricket or tennis techniques. As dd said how will they know how to improve for next time.

DD's music teacher wrote "DD is starting to grasp basic concepts such as keeping rhythm"

I should blinking well hope so, she's been dancing for 10 years and for the past 3, almost every day!!

Another one has said that DD shouldn't take the ballet as her inspiration for the "performance" themed textiles project she has to do, because it's "just tutus." I do despair sometimes

• Like 3

My ds last school were 100% behind him when it came to PE. His strengths were PE and Music and Dance. His football coach there, was so proud of him that he had declared that he will come and watch him perform one day in ballet in the theatre! Eyes were raised at this, I can tell you! My ds did try to teach the football team to pirouette, from feedback I understand one or two were quite promising! When he left this school last year to go to vocational school, they held a special whole school assembly and presented him with a fabulous card signed by his classmates and applauded his success. It was a special school with brilliant teaching staff, supportive parents and an outstanding OFSTED report.

• Like 7

That's great

At prize day we had to sit through a huge huge long list if sporting achievements from the past year - who had been selected for this that and the other.

No mention of the kids who had competed (and Ron) the local drama & music festival or taken instrumental exams.

And in the spiel of going on to high school they only ever mention scholarships to their feeder senior. A few years ago a girl went to RBS - not even a sentence in the newsletter for her.

Upon seeing my school report my initial thought was "This will make the Ballet.co-ers chuckle!!" For P.E, Mrs S Cheney wrote "Sophie has made excellent progress in P.E this year and demonstrated a wide variety of skills. She has demonstrated a considerable level of effort and usually brings appropriate kit to lessons. She needs to focus on developing a broad range of skills and identify key areas for development."

Oh well that is nice then, because I haven't done a P.E lesson since late October- and have absolutely no clue who Mrs S Cheney is!!!!!! ;)

Edited by swanprincess
  • Like 8

This reminds me of when I had to change schools at 15(not the best time). I had gone from a small school of 90 to what seemed like a huge school of 800 girls!!

The Head signed me up for various courses (as well as the o level ones) which I was not interested in and never did find my way to the cookery class. Hid in the library a lot of time.

Anyway I got an end of term report saying my cookery skills were " improving and now quite good" .much to my mums surprise but even more to mine as I hadn't attended a single lesson!! (But as a new pupil obviously got away with it).

Guess the teacher thought who is this girl better write something!

• Like 1