Summer Schools

Frangapani

Won't don't they ask for a 1 minute YouTube clip or something, then they could see if a child could actually dance! I know some students with the physique they undoubtedly look for who can do a lovely arabesque but not much else!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first year my dd applied for YBSS, we did send a short video of her dancing and also her teacher wrote a letter about her as she was then below the grade they had asked for.  One of her teachers felt that it was always best to send as much as possible, even it wasn't asked for!

Hi Lil,

No, I haven't auditioned yet for the Ballet Theatre UK one; because I have applied for their Associate scheme too, they said they could audition me for both courses at once, which is on May 26th xx

Aww Hairbelles, sorry to hear that :( I live in the Midlands so there are a couple of  non-audition ones that I will apply for :) Hope you find somewhere lovely to go, too xxx

And the 'no' came by email, by the way.

Edited to add; All4dancers, did your dd get in that year?

And big congrats to everyone with a place, hope you have a wonderful time :)

Edited by swanprincess

Hi Swanprincess a bit of crossed wires I think..... I was agreeing with Lildancer ..... I was hoping you would get the place you wanted .....I'm sure your perseverance is going to pay off at some stage.

Have you heard of Centrepoint in Manchester , the RB JA and MA classes are held there ...they are running 5 days for £150 which I thought was very reasonable .

Miss Wright who owns the school teaches the MA class and she also trained at RBS.

• Like 2

Little DD got a no email today.  Big one got two weeks scholarship so a bitter sweet day yet again! :(

Need  to find a good and exciting alternative now ????

Oh bad luck angel, and congrats to your big dd!

I am slightly suspicious about YBSS. There is no requirement to attend the scholarship audition (unless you are hoping for a scholarship of course) and yet I heard today that they are so oversubscribed in the 14-16 age group, that they only offered places to people who attended the audition. If I'd known that, I would have put Bank Hol plans on hold and gone to the audition. Seems an unfair way of doing it.

• Like 2

I don't mean that everyone who attended the scholarship audition got a place. I know that some didn't. What I meant was that the people who did get places were a subset of those who attended the audition (or were old favourites who have attended the summer school many times before and were already well known to YBSS)

I guess if the summer school is so oversubscribed, then they have to make decisions somehow and as so many have said on here, photographs don't give a huge amount of information, so it is probably easier to make a decision about a dancer they have seen at an audition, or one that they already know?

I guess if the summer school is so oversubscribed, then they have to make decisions somehow and as so many have said on here, photographs don't give a huge amount of information, so it is probably easier to make a decision about a dancer they have seen at an audition, or one that they already know?

In that case, why not say how the decision will be made if the course is oversubscribed and let people know that the audition is important not just for scholarships. This whole idea of audition by photo is actually very poor.

• Like 1

My friend who is living in Sydney at mo and whose DD has a place on the first week of the Yorkshire SS said that they asked for photos yes, but they did ask for previous exam result too even the mark she got and what current class level attending etc. She was wondering whether some kids were being tracked because they know parents can afford to send them every year!! But have referred to forum as reading through the posts here wouldn't say this was he case. I believe she said both the ENB and YBSS didn't require as many photos as the RBS did....which can be seen on RBS website. I have seen the RBS application form but not the others so don't know how much info parents were asked to give on them. I can see that if they were being asked to fund children they might need more info....hence an audition...but it does seem as if kids from less well off backgrounds are then being asked to go that extra mile to get a place....but it's just an impression I'm getting....don't really know what the reality is about decisions to give children places or not.

My friend who is living in Sydney at mo and whose DD has a place on the first week of the Yorkshire SS said that they asked for photos yes, but they did ask for previous exam result too even the mark she got and what current class level attending etc. She was wondering whether some kids were being tracked because they know parents can afford to send them every year!! But have referred to forum as reading through the posts here wouldn't say this was he case. I believe she said both the ENB and YBSS didn't require as many photos as the RBS did....which can be seen on RBS website. I have seen the RBS application form but not the others so don't know how much info parents were asked to give on them. I can see that if they were being asked to fund children they might need more info....hence an audition...but it does seem as if kids from less well off backgrounds are then being asked to go that extra mile to get a place....but it's just an impression I'm getting....don't really know what the reality is about decisions to give children places or not.

LinMM they also ask you to send a copy of your last exam report. I don't know what information they ask for if you are applying for a scholarship, sure someone on here can give that information. We didn't travel to London for the audition, as its a long way and it was also my DD's birthday so we had friends and family joining her to celebrate.

NL

Thanks :) She is very pleased as they were against the year 10 and 11 students!  How they worked that out I don't know?  I actually think each sponsor chooses a dancer they like personally to sponsor by the sounds of it?  Could be wildly wrong of course! :)

• Like 2

It was a yes also for my 12 year old DD for YBSS week one.We also did not attend the scholarship audition due to Bank holiday weekend logistics.This is our first time too.

• Like 10

We also had an email yesterday following scholarship audition on Sunday, no scholarship, but dd has been offered two weeks. She did ybss for one week a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Think she's looking forward to it even more this time as she is a couple of years older and will know quite a number of her peers there.

• Like 3