Summer Schools

Frangapani

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good Summer school (ballet based) for 9 year old's. ( They are not 10 until November) So I think too young for both of the York Summer schools and they are too young for RBS and Elmhust. ( and I know too late even if they were old enough) next year will be lot's of options!

We are in Cumbria but children happy to travel and do a residential. They are grade 4 RAD, Distinctions all grades, so are OK. I know there is a RAD summer school. DD has done RAD things and enjoyed them and had a lot of fun but she would like to do a more serious one with other serious children. 

I have scanned old threads, can not seem to find anything for 9 year old's, they seem to need to be 10.

Any ideas?

Thank you

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certain that there were 9 year olds attending the Yorkshire Assembly summer school on at least one of the past two years. I see that they are now stating that the age requirement is 10 years and above and Grade 4 ballet and above, but it may be worth enquiring whether they may be prepared to take the girls, as they are the appropriate grade and will be 10 within 3 months of the summer school. It is a lovely summer school and the children are very well looked after.

Otherwise does Sussex summer school take 9 year olds? It has been discussed either on this thread or another summer school thread and someone else may be able to advise you.

I know Riverfront Summer Dance in Newport South Wales do a dance course that takes 9 year olds.  It is not just ballet though, but it is taught by the dancers of Ballet Cymru (Welsh Ballet).  I have no personal experience as my DDs being older have only done the ballet course there but I do know that many of the dancers do both weeks - week 1 on dance course week 2 on ballet course.

Spannerandpony, we seem to make a habit of simultaneous posting! ;-)

I seem to remember someone suggesting a summer school at Tring - for NYB or similar?

Hammond are also holding a summer school, although I don't know whether they have a minimum age requirement - may be worth enquiring there as well as Yorkshire Assembly, especially as both are northern based; even though the girls are happy to travel and board, it is sometimes good to know that home isn't too far away!

• Like 1

Hello, YDA are running a summer school this year.  Not sure if there are places left, but I would imagine they take 9 year olds.  It is w/c 22nd July and non residential, but very handy for Westfield while they are doing it!  Definitely worth considering, the teachers are fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

WatkinsDance Summer Course - Age 14-19 - 27th-30th July 2013 held at The Rambert School, London.

Contemporary based summer course including ballet, rep, creative, Cunningham technique with classes from Artistic Director Anna Watkins, guest teachers from Tavaziva Dance, Richard Alston, A.D dance company and WatkinsDance artists.

Spaces are filling up fast so please do book early. To download a booking form or for more information please go to: www.watkinsdance.co.uk and email:

Education Co- ordinator                                                          

Jennifer Teale

jennifer@watkinsdance.co.uk

• 1 month later...

I'm all new to this forum, but I'm really thankful for the comments you've left.

I've got accepted for two weeks at YBSS. I'm 17 and I've never auditioned for the summer school before. I did only send the application form with pictures and a copy of my last exam.

YBSS do have a waiting list.

• Like 3

Sorry can't answer the above perhaps you can email them about this if its not clear on the website.

My friends DD is doing the first week of this summer school (week beginning 22nd July) and I hope I will be able to get to see her dance as they live in Sydney so can't see her all that often.

Hope you enjoy anyway

I have limited places left on my 3 day course in West Yorks. 31st July- 2nd August. It will be classical ballet , pas de deux  ( for advanced students ) and repetoire. classes will be taught by guest teachers from vocational schools . Grade 5 and above , up to advanced - split into ability groups . PM me for further details if interested x

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anymore information about who might be teaching at Elmhurst SS besides what it says in the email?  Also what do you class as a dark leotard - just navy and black?

No we haven't heard anything more... I would classify as dark any dark colour (red, grey, green, etc.) No pastel or flashy colours...

Due to so much interest, Midland Theatre Ballet have added another class to their summer school at Birmingham Royal Ballet studios, so there are a few more places left;5th , 6th , & 7th August with James Wilkie Royal Ballet and Ruth Brill, Birmingham Royal Ballet as guest teachers.

Full details and application forms available on the website :

http://www.midlandtheatreballet.co.uk/

• Like 3

Thanks afab she wants to wear her new fushia/raspberry wearmoi leotard that she got for her birthday but I thought it might be too bright.  I've told her to save it until the last day and see what the other girls wear.

Hi swanprincess no this is her first year and she loves it although the trek to Birmingham can be a bit tiring.  I think you might be older she is in the B's doing daffodils/busy beavers and the snow fairy.  She says the teaching is fabulous but tough!  Is this your second year?

Thanks afab she wants to wear her new fushia/raspberry wearmoi leotard that she got for her birthday but I thought it might be too bright.  I've told her to save it until the last day and see what the other girls wear.

Pas de Chat, personally I would keep a black one for the last day as it is often the colour asked for the presentation to parents. DD has a fushia/burgundy one as well that she will wear at some stage... How old is your DD? (Sorry if you've told me before... Too many info in my little head sometime!)...

Elmhurst Summer school - the years my dd has done this a number of the Elmhurst pupils have worn their school uniform leotards, shades of bright blue/green. Don't think it will be frowned on to wear any leotard during the week, I'm sure my dd took some photos last year before some classes and there is a rainbow of colours. Everyone was in black for the presentation on last day. 

Pas de Chat, why not suggest she wears her wearmoi leotard but has a spare one in her bag incase teacher says something?

On a different note anyone travelling from the M6 to Elmhurst be aware that the tunnels on the Ashton Express Way are closed all summer. All traffic will have to go above ground and around all the roundabouts, might add a bit to your journey. 

• Like 1

Pas de Chat, personally I would keep a black one for the last day as it is often the colour asked for the presentation to parents. DD has a fushia/burgundy one as well that she will wear at some stage... How old is your DD? (Sorry if you've told me before... Too many info in my little head sometime!)...

Hi afab she is 11 three days before she goes but I think she will cope well and wishes it was 5 nights.  Hopefully our girls might meet up as she doesn't know a soul.  Are they twin rooms?

Elmhurst Summer school - the years my dd has done this a number of the Elmhurst pupils have worn their school uniform leotards, shades of bright blue/green. Don't think it will be frowned on to wear any leotard during the week, I'm sure my dd took some photos last year before some classes and there is a rainbow of colours. Everyone was in black for the presentation on last day. 

Pas de Chat, why not suggest she wears her wearmoi leotard but has a spare one in her bag incase teacher says something?

On a different note anyone travelling from the M6 to Elmhurst be aware that the tunnels on the Ashton Express Way are closed all summer. All traffic will have to go above ground and around all the roundabouts, might add a bit to your journey. 

Maybe she can wear it day two and I'll suggest she keeps one in her bag like you said just in case they are strict on dress code. Wish I had gone for another colour now.

I wouldn't worry too much about leotard colours the staff at Elmhurst have always been lovely so I'm sure there won't be any problems with colours, my only suggestion is that you keep a black leotard for the last day... See you all there ;) it will be like a ballet co meet up!?

Cx