Natalya Osipova - a new Principal of the Royal Ballet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would be shocked if Yuhui Choe wasn't promoted this year. She has seemed recently to have been dancing principal roles every week, and I wouldn't be surprised if Melissa Hamilton was promoted to First Soloist, as she's taking on quite a few senior roles too.

I agree about Yuhui Choe, it seems high time, and she really deserves it.

As much as I like Melissa Hamilton and have little doubt that she will eventually be a principal, I don't see her being promoted yet, wasn't she promoted to soloist just last year?

I also wish we'd see a bit more of Itziar Mendizabal, she seems to be given really few roles for someone who joined the company relatively recently at a rather senior level.

If you are not a regular ballet-goer then it is understandable that you may feel disappointed if a principal is replaced by someone more junior in a performance. After all, the companies do "rank" their dancers and this information is available on the companies' websites and in the programmes. If you are not familiar with the company and do not look at its website or buy a programme you will probably be unaware of the ranks of the dancers whom you are seeing.

If a dancer frequently performs roles which are beyond his or her rank should this not be reflected in that dancer's actual rank and remuneration? Not to do so is surely exploitation even if the dancer benefits from, and enjoys dancing, the larger roles.

I agree with you regarding promotion for Yuhui but I think Melissa is more than ready for the step up to First Soloist.Her performances in Las Hermanas and Mayerling were proof enough.

I agree about Yuhui Choe, it seems high time, and she really deserves it.

As much as I like Melissa Hamilton and have little doubt that she will eventually be a principal, I don't see her being promoted yet, wasn't she promoted to soloist just last year?

I also wish we'd see a bit more of Itziar Mendizabal, she seems to be given really few roles for someone who joined the company relatively recently at a rather senior level.

It's true that she hasn't done any of these (I think), but she has done La Fille Mal Gardee and Cinderella.

They've announced there would be debuts for the next run of Sleeping Beauty, maybe it will finally be her turn?

On the topic of principal roles danced before promotion to principal, does anyone remember which among these roles Lauren Cuthberson had danced before her promotion?
It seemed to me that the past few years, every other role she danced was a debut (certainly Manon was).

Has Yuhui danced lead roles in any of the big classics apart from La Bayadere eg Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, R&J, Manon?

She hasn't danced it with the Royal Ballet yet, but she did Swan Lake with the Korean National Ballet a couple of years ago. There's a couple of videos on youtube:

i have never had a bad time when changes happen

Oh, I have.  Numerous times, and with quite a few companies.  But it wouldn't be fair to mention names (and anyway, I wouldn't be able to recall all of them).

On the topic of principal roles danced before promotion to principal, does anyone remember which among these roles Lauren Cuthberson had danced before her promotion?

It seemed to me that the past few years, every other role she danced was a debut (certainly Manon was).

If I rememebr correctly, she was promoted after dancing Juliet in 2008, but I don't know what else she had danced.

She had certainly danced Juliet, Aurora and Odette/Odile before her promotion.  Other readers might be able to add other principal roles.

Edited by Bluebird

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting comments on Natalia's (and Ivan's) performances of Don Q and Symphony in C with ABT in today's links. The feeling is that they are not developping artistically, that quality is being sacrificed for quantity (multiple embellishments to already complex steps) and that Ivan has serious limitations as a dancer, which perhaps explains why Kevin O'Hare has not offered him a contract. I'm doubtful that frequent guesting, whilst lucrative and exciting, develops a dancer artistically. The dancer usually has limited rehearsal time and little time to develop a relationship with his or her partner and get to know the company's ethos and style and the nuances of the production. Too often there is a feeling of the dancer having being parachuted in and looking a bit alien in the ballet. I hope that Natalia will properly commit herself to the RB and not spend too much time guesting elsewhere otherwise she will not develop as a dancer. I feel a bit sorry for Ivan though. What's he going to do in London (assuming he can get a visa) while Natalia is dancing?

Some interesting comments on Natalia's (and Ivan's) performances of Don Q and Symphony in C with ABT in today's links. The feeling is that they are not developping artistically, that quality is being sacrificed for quantity (multiple embellishments to already complex steps) and that Ivan has serious limitations as a dancer, which perhaps explains why Kevin O'Hare has not offered him a contract. I'm doubtful that frequent guesting, whilst lucrative and exciting, develops a dancer artistically. The dancer usually has limited rehearsal time and little time to develop a relationship with his or her partner and get to know the company's ethos and style and the nuances of the production. Too often there is a feeling of the dancer having being parachuted in and looking a bit alien in the ballet. I hope that Natalia will properly commit herself to the RB and not spend too much time guesting elsewhere otherwise she will not develop as a dancer. I feel a bit sorry for Ivan though. What's he going to do in London (assuming he can get a visa) while Natalia is dancing?

I was at the Osipova Vasiliev Don Q in NY on Saturday and I have to say it is unfair to judge them as "not developing artistically" based on that. It was over-the-top whiz bang gasp-inducing bravura, and they delivered in spades. If you took it in the spirit in which it was intended, it was very enjoyable indeed except perhaps to the jaded who wish to find fault. You could almost see the "just watch me" glint in their eyes as they did one more impossible thing after the other and the audience laughed at the wildest things, like Ivan extending into an arabesque on demi-pointe while he had Natalia in a one-handed lift overhead You can see it here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580551371976177&set=a.580551361976178.1073741825.430801133617869&type=1&theater

Personally my ballet preference is for elegance and beautiful lines and emotion, but this is Don Q we're talking about. I can enjoy that too. In the ballet house there are many mansions. I would have liked to see Herman Cornejo's Basilio the night before (except I was at NYCB where Daniel Ulbricht also brought the house down - and broke the tambourine, apparently not for the first time -- in Balanchine's Tarantella), which I'm sure would have been more elegant than Ivan's, but Ivan is just an amazing force of nature. You get the impression that when he's at the top  of his amazing jump, he thinks, well I've got lots of time up here so what else can I throw in to wow the punters.

PS I don't think anyone needs to feel sorry for Ivan Vasiliev! I'm sure he'll do just fine.

• Like 6

I'm doubtful that frequent guesting, whilst lucrative and exciting, develops a dancer artistically. The dancer usually has limited rehearsal time and little time to develop a relationship with his or her partner and get to know the company's ethos and style and the nuances of the production. Too often there is a feeling of the dancer having being parachuted in and looking a bit alien in the ballet.

I have serious doubts about that, too, particularly in the case of younger dancers who'd probably be better off making one company their home base and getting some stability.  After all, if you're guesting with a company, they booked you because they expect you to deliver: they are likely to be rather less concerned about your long-term artistic development (unless they're planning on acquiring you).  And, as you mention "parachuted in", what if you don't have time to learn all the nuances?  Suppose you're dancing Giselle or something and perform a "bog standard" version of it, whereas the company in question has various little variations and quirks in their production which differ from yours - it's certainly going to look a little odd.

(except I was at NYCB where Daniel Ulbricht also brought the house down - and broke the tambourine, apparently not for the first time -- in Balanchine's Tarantella)

He does it pretty regularly, I gather - to the annoyance of the props master/mistress, I would guess :).  He did it over here when I saw him.

I was at the Osipova Vasiliev Don Q in NY on Saturday....

How do we keep missing each other?!?!  I was in Box 22.

Osipova and Vasiliev were very entertaining!  :)   If only they could learn to jump higher....  ;)

• Like 2

How do we keep missing each other?!?!  I was in Box 22.

Osipova and Vasiliev were very entertaining!  :)   If only they could learn to jump higher....  ;)

Yes, and spin faster. And balance longer.

One of these days, Willie... Are you coming to T.0. in June? or perhaps Saratoga in July?

One of these days, Willie... Are you coming to T.0. in June? or perhaps Saratoga in July?

Sadly, no.  Swan Lake in November or March '14.

Okay, back on topic.  When is Osipova's first performance with the Royal Ballet?  Tickets go on sale to the general public on July 9th, correct?

• 11 months later...

Thankyou so,much for that Amelia!!

I really thought I had seen every version of that Esmeralda variation that had ever been posted on YouTube so don't know how Ive missed this version!! Wonderful!

Wishing Birthday congratulations too.

As well as being Natalya Osipova's birthday, today is also Margot Fonteyn's - 18 May 1919. Her memory lives on.

Heh. My extension at work is 18519. I was delighted when I found out it was Fonteyn's date of birth. :)

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 6

Thankyou so,much for that Amelia!!

I really thought I had seen every version of that Esmeralda variation that had ever been posted on YouTube so don't know how Ive missed this version!! Wonderful!

Wishing Birthday congratulations too.

and thank you to me for uploading that clip! :-)))))

Happy birthday to Osipova...even if it's already the 19th, so Slava Samodurov birthday :-)

Well, that's interesting. I'm an analyst by trade, and now you've got me all curious. There's a fair amount of data (I believe) to suggest that people who are older in their school year perform better at school work (and are more successful beyond). I would imagine this would be doubly true for dancers, namely that dancers who are older for their year would be more developed physically, stronger and so on, and so would have an advantage over their peers who are young for their year. Which is why, on face value, it would be surprising for lots of the top dancers to be May birthdays. I don't suppose anyone knows of a spreadsheet with dates of birth for a load of dancers? :) 

Hmm. Maybe I'll make this a new topic...

• Like 1