RBS junior associates auditions

happy days

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a no for us. Feeling really deflated and not looking forward to breaking the news to dd later.

We went into this with very realistic expectations but admit to getting rather carried away by it all - the audition was such a positive experience and reading other people's excited posts following all the 'yes' emails had got me really hoping it all ended up leading us somewhere.

Congrats to Neil and scoobydoo for the yes's. How exciting for you! Can I ask if this was your first time trying?

And fingers crossed the waiting list pays off for you balletmum. At least there's still hope!

I have yet to tell dd it's a no. I'm just hoping it doesn't knock her too much .

• Like 1

It's a no for my daughter. She's taken it very well and I'm just so glad to know either way. In some ways a no does protect us from going further down this highly competitive route. I know of a super dancer who did two years of JAs and didn't get mids. At least we won't be on that rollercoaster. We are stepping off and will carry on locally with summer school and maybe a few auditions for productions along the way. Enjoyment will be the main focus.

• Like 1

Congrats to Neil and scoobydoo for the yes's. How exciting for you! Can I ask if this was your first time trying?

Second time for us. He was swl last year. Bear in mind that the odds are a lot more favourable for boys...!

Well done to your dd scoobydoo. You must be so, so proud of her - and she's so young too! So pleased your ds made it through after swl last year too Neil.

Sorry to hear it's a no for your dd balletsister and I don't think your post sounds like sour grapes at all. I completely understand where you're coming from. This is just a small taster of how tough this path is.

I've broken the news to dd. she had a little cry and is still a bit glum but I think she'll be ok. I'm hoping her ballet teacher will give her lots of encouragement on Saturday which will help!

• Like 4

Congratulations and commissions to our balletco family!

To those on the waiting list - try to see it as an encouraging thing and then put it out of your mind. I had two sons who both got waiting list - one got in, went to WL and is now a professional dancer, the other didn't get in and is about to go to uni doing something quite academic. My daughter who got straight into JAs didn't get any further with the RBS and is now a happy vet student. You never know what lies ahead!

• Like 7

Balletsister, I'm sorry it's a "no" but you are right that enjoyment should be the main focus! And the older children are the more opportunities they will have - bigger choice of vocational schools, summer schools, master classes etc etc. Good luck to your DC.

I love reading about everyone's journeys and opinions... Well done to the yes dc that's fantastic news, equally well done to SWL that too is an achievement and I hope the outcome of a place comes up ;) to the no dc it's doesn't mean never or that you are not lovely dancers don't give up there is so much out there available for your children go and grab it!!! ;) ;)

• Like 3

Well done everyone, and if you have a no, you can audition again as its such a lovely experience,

Does anyone know if places do often get offered from waiting list?

I have no idea how often it happens, but a child from my son's ballet school turned down a JA place a couple of years ago.

As far as I know the school doesn't publish info about lengths of waiting lists or how often places are offered, so you can only go on anecdotal evidence.

(The child I referred to above accepted a JA place for the current year and starts at WL in September)

Children do drop out of the JA programme... In our year 6 class, 2 children have left. Unfortunately, the wait list only applies until October, so if a child leaves after October, it's too late to join the class. However, at that time it's not long until you can reapply. From what we've experienced and noticed, if a child has the facility for classical ballet, having the determination to try again often leads to a 'yes' when applying to JA 's again. One child in our class was accepted from the wait list in to our current year 6 class when a year 5 child decided to leave before the start of year 6.

Congratulations to all those with a yes! For those with a no or wait list, I would digest the advice in DrDances' earlier post. Priceless!

• Like 1

Welcome cantabile, I'm quite new to this too :) and congratulations on the waiting list, let's hope something comes of it and if not I hope you dd gets in next year!! She obviously has something they like to get on the waiting list twice xxx

Sorry couldn't find a thread for elmhurst auditions.. But good luck to those auditioning today :) it's a lovely school and building is fab ! My dd has enjoyed it there for last 2 years .. And nothing to worry about its a very enjoyable experience xxx