RBS junior associates auditions

happy days

Hi Grumpybearzuk - just told her shes a bit fed up and cross with them now lol , I know how she feels ! oh dear roll on moro when she see hers Ballet Teacher :)

It s a bit frustrating isn't it ! ! 

• Like 1

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, I decided to tell her and she was utterly devastated :( my heart was breaking. Grumpy and Aly - your girls obviously are elmhurst JAs. Any words of wisdom for my dd's audition on Saturday? She's never done an elmhurst one before. She's auditioning in Manchester for a place in Birmingham (b-ham auditions clash with first day of Nottingham EYB rehearsals...). Does it follow same format as RB JAs? Any tips you can pass on would be greatly appreciated!

Hi twiglet , so sorry for your dd . My dd has been a associate at elmhurst for 2 years and loves it! All I could say is when she auditioned for year 4 there she just came out beaming! She said it was a very basic class with normal stretching , they didn't have to do any splits or anything just do as much stretching as they could and just tell her to smile and enjoy the lesson. Dd was not very flexible then, but she just showed them how much she loves ballet and concentrated on her technique . I think it is very much like royal but a little more relaxed she said. I will cross my fingers for your dd . It was funny but on her first audition for year 4 royal she got a no , that was on the Saturday , the flowing Saturday she had elmhurst and was so determined to show them how good she was she went in totally ready for them ;). Just tell your dd to enjoy the class and not to worry it's a lovely hour with them she should enjoy it xxx

Ty all for your lovely comments and wishes. I think partly I'm also upset that it would be so nice for me to get to know other parents of ballet obsessed children at these 'associate' classes iykwim? I feel like I'm swimming against the tide at the local school sometimes and have no -one to sound things off.

• Like 1

It is lovely for them to experience a class where all the children are there for their love of dancing! And it opens their eyes to what is out there for them, and Elmhurst is a lovely building and their studios are great:) at dds local school most lessons are in a local memorial hall so it's nice for her to dance in a proper dance studio ! Goodluck to your dd xxxxx

• Like 1

My DD is looking forward to dancing with the piano and not the dodgy iPod via Bluetooth. Regarding the acceptance email, I was looking forward to being able to frame her letter as a little treat, doesn't seem the same with an email. But it's very exciting the same!

• Like 1

Well you could print the email off and frame that.....not quite so good as a letter.

I think there's a way if you can save it into a PowerPoint or similar doc then you might be able to find a border to put around it!!

But it's a while since Ive done anything like that so not sure! Well done to your DD and all the other successful children too.

Perhaps all the 'no's' could have a ballet/theatre type treat over the summer!

To anyone within reach of London theres a few treats coming up like the Maryinski in August and ENB at the Albert Hall.

And the ENB are doing Coppelia in July which is a great ballet for younger children.

I'm sure there are even some family events based on the ballet if I can find the link will post it.

• Like 1

Commiserations for the nos but as someone who sometimes has to make decisions like this it is really isn't easy when faced with a room of children who clearly want it and have something special to give, and you only have room for a maximum number of children in a class. With the schemes affiliated to schools the panel on the day are representing the schools ideas and their understanding of the schools requirements may be different to the previous years panel, or even perhaps a different city's panel. Despite speculation re physique, exam results, festivals, other schemes etc there are sometimes just not enough spaces in the class and sadly you have to turn people away. I hate to do it but I have to remind myself that it will be the first of many, many auditions and assessments that these children take, if they wish to pursue this career. The hard truth is that there are always more dancers than places, in any situation.

To all no's (not right nows) - dust yourself off, get back in the studio and make sure you are learning from the best. Good teaching of technique is fundamental and while desire or hard work on the part of the dancer is brilliant, if the teaching of the basics is poor you unfortunately won't get far. I learnt this lesson myself!

• Like 13

Good point drdance, my DD asked to move schools 1 year ago after she saw other girls whilst in a festival comp from London ! In her eyes were technically better. She had danced there for 6 years from aged 3 but wanted to move to improve, glad to say after tears and the loss if only for a short while of friends, she is very happy and loving her ballet again. But she has told me that Panto comes first!

Lovely message drdance I think sometimes it's nice to hear it from the professionals point of view and to remember that their job isn't easy and they have to make some hard choices, good look with your decisions for Midas :) and to those still waiting for results from wherever you have auditioned x

• Like 3

Congratulations HappyMum! What lovely news! You must be over the moon and bet you can't wait to tell your ds!

My tummy is well and truly doing somersaults at the thought of potentially getting news about dd's London audition before too long - maybe even tomorrow?!

• Like 4

Thank you all for your kind posts! I have a very happy DS!

Yes, I'm blessed with two young ballet dancers and I'm very pround of them.

My DD wants to audition to 3 vocational schools so it all starts in October/November. Sadly I don't have nerves of steel - I'll be in pieces by Christmass.....

Good luck to all steel waiting !!

• Like 2