RBS Upper School Finals (10/3/13)

hoobydigger

I counted on the list of female students auditioning yesterday; 17 of the 36 girls were from overseas.  Some of these will already be at White Lodge, but I think it is a shame that we seem unable to get more British students to the upper school. 

• Like 4

I understand that 50% of WL students were offered places to start at the Upper School next September – seven girls, four of them had been at WL for the full five years from Year 7.

Prisca Bertoni writes a very interesting blog about life at WL: http://all4ballet.com/

Yesterday she reported the great news that she now has a place at Upper School!

Congrats to Prisca and all who did get places; hoping it won't be too long before the

others have good news....

Yaffa
Edited by Ian Macmillan
At original Poster's request, to take account of a data source amendment.
  • Like 7

There must be more than one as this isn't the girl I know!

It says that 7 girls from year 11 have been offered a place at Upper School, and of those 7, 4 of them originally joined in year 7. So yes there is more than one :) . Those are better odds than I was led to believe: so half of the current year got accepted to Upper School and a third of the original year 7s.

It is usually about half (in fact, usually just over half if I remember rightly) of the year 11s who get into upper school, and then most of those will have been there since year 7, but that number may vary of course.

Well done everyone

Very well done to those who have secured an Upper School Place - what a fantastic achievment! Hope all in Year 11 RBS find the school that is right for them - best of luck for other auditions and best wishes to all parents trying to stay sane during the process ;)  

• Like 3

Congratulations to all who made it through to the Upper School, but I feel incredibly sorry for those who started in Year 7, worked so hard all the way through and have not been assessed out, to be told they can't go through to the US.  A real shame.

• Like 6

I agree Sim, it must be desperately disappointing. I suppose RBS Upper School becomes a lot more international and they are competing with the best from around the world for places. Hopefully the ones that didn't get through will find places at ENBS/Elmhurst etc.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all who made it through to the Upper School, but I feel incredibly sorry for those who started in Year 7, worked so hard all the way through and have not been assessed out, to be told they can't go through to the US.  A real shame.

Sim, bare in mind the following: once pupils reach Year 11 their last assessment/appraisal was in Year 9. During the time between Year 9 and Year 11 their bodies can change a lot. They are not assessed out in Year 10 because of their GCSEs so it's not too surprising that some who started in Year 7 (and were still suited  in Year 9 for further training) do not get into US as physical changes will have taken place between the age of 14 and 16. The Year 11s have to compete at this point in their training for a place at US against many international hopefuls from Japan, China, South America, USA, Australia... and also Prix de Lausanne finalists. It's a first reality check, the next one will be competing for a job as a professional dancer.

• Like 1

I am wondering if any from the Associate program achieved a place?. . . 

I think letters were out today. I have heard of one boy (from another vocational school) getting  a place but not heard of any others yet....

• Like 1

At least it's better than how they were doing it at WL until a couple of years ago - after appraisals but before finals, being called in to be told if they were a "yes", "no" or "maybe" for upper school

• Like 1