Viola Pantuso*, Marcelino Sambe*
Saturday 28 September - 1.00pm
Saturday 5 October - 7.00pm
Saturday 12 October - 7.30pm

Francesca Hayward, William Bracewell*
Saturday 28 September - 7.00pm
Thursday 3 October - 7.30pm
Tuesday 8 October - 7.30pm (filming)
Tuesday 15 October – 7.30pm (filming – cinema relay)

Akane Takada, Matthew Ball
Tuesday 1 October - 7.30pm
Friday 11 October - 7.30pm
Thursday 17 October - 7.30pm
Wednesday 30 October - 7.30pm

Ella Newton Severgnini*, Cesar Corrales*
Saturday 5 October - 1.00pm
Friday 18 October - 7.30pm
Friday 25 October - 7.30pm
Thursday 31 October - 7.30pm

Meaghan Grace Hinkis*, Calvin Richardson*
Tuesday 8 October - 12.30pm (Schools’ Matinee)
Monday 21 October - 7.30pm
Friday 1 November - 7.30pm

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 11

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Apologies. The casting should have been posted in the autumn thread. Could a Moderator please move to correct place. 

Edit: Many thanks for moving it to the correct place, Alison.

Edited by Bluebird

I was already on it :) 

Thanks very much, Bluebird.  Wow.  I did wonder if Pantuso would get Alice, but I hadn't even thought of Ella Newton Severgnini yet (or Pantuso for the first night!).  So, no Cuthbertson in her created role.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I was already on it :) 

Thanks very much, Bluebird.  Wow.  I did wonder if Pantuso would get Alice, but I hadn't even thought of Ella Newton Severgnini yet (or Pantuso for the first night!).  So, no Cuthbertson in her created role.  

Technically Hayward is "first night". Pantuso has the matinee but still the first performance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that’s a turn out for the books I’d said I’d go if some newbies were cast!! So pleased for Ella and dancing with Cesar….thats one performance decided then!! 
With Viola in one of the casts with Sambe that’s the other decided. 
Much as I love Francesca think

I will give her a miss in this and hope she gets Cinderella! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I thought Anna Rose O’Sullivan would be cast as Alice again. I wonder if her current injury is significant then? 

Very exciting for Viola and Ella!

Edited by Rachelm
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes that’s a thought I think he might be rather good though imagine Acri or Hay could be cast there. 
Although after WT last Wednesday perhaps Marco Masciari as the Mad Hatter? 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

I'm very tempted to book for Akane in this! And the other casts look very interesting as well.

I know Viola but I don't think I've seen Ella Newton Severgnini in much - has she done any bigger roles recently? I can't really put a face to the name

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I only know of Ella from seeing her at YBSS a few years back now when a friends daughter was attending. 
She stood out in the class she was in for me though she’s not a particularly showy dancer …nice line and epaulement …. and musical …just had something anyway. She’s also in a World Ballet day class from Year 9 from about four years ago now I think. 

It was a pointework class will have to look up the teacher. 
She danced the Neopolitan in May  9th Swan Lake and a couple of others I believe. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

She danced the Neopolitan in May  9th Swan Lake and a couple of others I believe. 

I wouldn't have seen her then, unfortunately! I've had to seriously cut down Swan Lakes this time due to the pricing and the fact that I saw quite a few casts in 2022 - I've only been to 2 performances of it so far

Interesting casting choices! I have to admit I’ve not heard of or noticed Newton Severgini before but I’m less a regular at ROH then I used to be! Pleased to see Pantuso, I first noticed her as one of the fairies in Sleeping Beauty and also then the Royal Ballet class on stage and could sense her promise. 

Also interesting to see each cast gets 3 or 4 performances, I will stand corrected if I’m wrong as I’ve not been in the loop so recently but I know usually there are sometimes only 2 performances for each cast for swan lake for example? 

Presumably O’Sullivan, Naghdi and Hay, Sissens etc could be cast in the Summer run of this when it comes back June 2025. 

Do we have any more casting for Cinderella and Maddaddam at all? Hopefully they’ll follow soon. 

• Like 2

Just now, FionaM said:

This is very surprising casting … only 2 principal ballerinas.   What will the others be doing in October? 

Queen of Hearts role maybe? I'm not sure how big that is though as I haven't seen the full ballet

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Queen of Hearts role maybe? I'm not sure how big that is though as I haven't seen the full ballet

that’s definitely a role for a strong ballerina.  Previously Yanowsky, Morera, Calvert … maybe others. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

@JNC the email says Cinderella casting is still being finalised and will be shared as soon as possible.  

No mention of any other shows. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve just found the video of Belinda Hatley teaching on World Ballet day and it was in 2017.

The girls are all in red leotards and black practice tutus. Ella is in the second row and right in the front row centre is Viola Pantuso although back in 2017 I didn’t know that was her!! 
Belinda corrects Ella at one point so mentions her by name. 

Looking at it again Viola probably stands out in that class even back then but there could be others there in the company now I haven’t recognised! 
One of the girls is Rimi Nakano does anybody know where she went? 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve just found the video of Belinda Hatley teaching on World Ballet day and it was in 2017.

The girls are all in red leotards and black practice tutus. Ella is in the second row and right in the front row centre is Viola Pantuso although back in 2017 I didn’t know that was her!! 
Belinda corrects Ella at one point so mentions her by name. 

Looking at it again Viola probably stands out in that class even back then but there could be others there in the company now I haven’t recognised! 
One of the girls is Rimi Nakano does anybody know where she went? 

I remember this! I couldn’t take my eyes off Viola!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

O’Sullivan is currently rehearsing Rhapsody.

Ahh of course- thank you. I forgot there is a second run of Alice later in the season as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alison said:

So, no Cuthbertson in her created role.  

I wonder if Cuthbertson might move to do the Queen of Hearts? Like Lamb has moved from Perdita to Hermione.

Add me to the list of people who are a bit surprised by the casting. I suppose Pantuso is slightly less surprising given her lead role in Winter's Tale but I certainly wasn't expecting Newton Severigni, since her biggest role so far seems to have been the Neopolitan. Has anyone below Soloist level danced the role of Alice before? I don't know what rank Stix-Brunell was back when she danced it.

It'll be difficult to decide which casts to see, as for me it's one of those awkward ones where my preferred female & preferred male dancers aren't paired together. And with the prices seeing every cast is not going to be an option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes that’s a thought I think he might be rather good though imagine Acri or Hay could be cast there. 
Although after WT last Wednesday perhaps Marco Masciari as the Mad Hatter? 

James Hay in previous run was a very good White Rabbit, I thought he made the role his own, very different from the creator, Ed Watson. Both these two are recorded. Would like to see what James made of it now.

• Like 4

Disappointed with the lack of public matinées (2) with such a child/family centred ballet. Also from a personal point of view its not a ballet I'd want to spend money on a London hotel. Sambe/Pantuso would have been my first choice but I've booked to see the BRB Fille matinee in Birmingham that day, the only performance I've booked so far for next season. The other matinee I'm on holiday so will have to see. Good to see Hayward/Bracewell doing the cinema, though I keep thinking of Alex in the role. I'm really going to miss him.

Looks like Vadim will probably not be performing at the ROH for 5 months, July to Dec for Cinderella so everywhere will be seeing him apart from us.

• Like 8

Glad it's Francesca and Will for the cinema relay.  I agree with @jmhopton it's not worth an overnight stay in London for me.  I'll see it in the cinema locally and enjoy it just as much.  

Also sad at the lack of Vadim in the casting.  I hope he's doing something somewhere else that I can get to see.  

• Like 8