Dancemum100

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Liz1986 said:

We haven’t either but I was near the deadline when I did ours x

I wonder if they hold off on this until after all auditions have finished? 
I'm driving myself crazy second guessing! 

Edited by Lissieloo

Hi Everyone, 

My daughter is hopefully starting in Sept (also waiting to hear back re the Hammond Support Fund).  I didn't actually see the link to pay the £160 registration fee when I completed the application though and am worried now that I haven't paid it...

Could you tell me please how you paid it - if you did?  Was it something at the end of the application form?  I def wasn't sent any bank details to pay it directly.

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Dance_taxi said:

Hi Everyone, 

My daughter is hopefully starting in Sept (also waiting to hear back re the Hammond Support Fund).  I didn't actually see the link to pay the £160 registration fee when I completed the application though and am worried now that I haven't paid it...

Could you tell me please how you paid it - if you did?  Was it something at the end of the application form?  I def wasn't sent any bank details to pay it directly.

Thanks!

Hi! I’ve just accepted a place for September as well (year 9). I’m sure the bank details were at the end of the form. The information for paying is definitely there. I would email the school as well to let them know you are paying it. I can find the details if you need them. 

Ah thanks so much for the reply.  I returned the application form as soon as she received the offer and can only think that I didn't note the payment details as was waiting on the MDS decision (which she didn't get).  I did try and fake fill the app form again to check for bank details but panicked I was accepting another place and abandoned the effort, Lol.

Thanks anyway - I'll call now x

3 hours ago, Dance_taxi said:

Ah thanks so much for the reply.  I returned the application form as soon as she received the offer and can only think that I didn't note the payment details as was waiting on the MDS decision (which she didn't get).  I did try and fake fill the app form again to check for bank details but panicked I was accepting another place and abandoned the effort, Lol.

Thanks anyway - I'll call now x

I thought you couldn’t submit the application form without paying? I know I couldn’t. Are you sure you haven’t already paid? Hopefully you have this all sorted after one simple phone call. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

The waiting to hear about any sort of funding support is killing me 😞 I’ve written to some of the funding suggestions but only had “no” so far. Anyone else having any luck? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dancemum100 said:

The waiting to hear about any sort of funding support is killing me 😞 I’ve written to some of the funding suggestions but only had “no” so far. Anyone else having any luck? 

There was only one on the five page document that we were eligible to apply for and we had already contacted them. All other places we have contacted have all been a big fat no. Some positive news from the support fund would be very well received right now for sure! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

I've had all nothing back to all no! I might email and see when we will hear about the support fund. X

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorna1 said:

I've had all nothing back to all no! I might email and see when we will hear about the support fund. X

Would you let us know if you get a reply? This is torture isn't it! X 

• Like 1

I haven’t tried any of the suggested ones they emailed out - it seemed such a big task as lots of them had a cap of £1000 or some where we live and I thought it’s just too big of a challenge to find enough funding and then even if we made it for one year what would we do for the next years. I did do the Hammond support fund so just crossing fingers for that. Hope we all hear some positive news soon. 

• Like 1

It’s a very hard slog trying to gain financial support from outside funding organisations/charities & you are right to worry how longterm this could be…. At the time many years back we got so far along the line for what could’ve been very significant funding & told to apply the following year as then we’d likely have a yes…. But by the time it came for applying the following year, the eligibility criteria had significantly reduced & meant it was not an option anymore. 
Also the application/decision timescales can be impossible for the school year dates. We only heard the ‘no’ in the august so would’ve had to commit to a place (not Hammond in this instance btw) & paid deposits etc in case we’d had a yes…I do empathise with those on this journey. 
We were lucky subsequently at schools to have had generous bursary funding & then later MDS - so again, options do sometimes come up later!

To add, it is still worthwhile approaching charities - especially any local to you that support the arts - but probably more for the add ons;- we benefited from receiving amounts annually (usually between £200-£600 so not an option for fees really). But they very much appreciated grants that enabled attendance at Summer Schools, entry fees for exams, to buy a few pairs of pointe shoes, assist with travel costs etc. These were less full on to apply for than any major financial help & the onus more on the recipient to provide info about what a bursary could help with & to provide regular updates on how used etc. Was lovely to have local support which also meant people follow development with interest! 
Good luck all x

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Elmhurst results are expected this Saturday, so there could be some movement on the waitlist in the coming weeks. I imagine Tring MDS and WL results will follow very soon too. Fingers crossed.
Iv’e only heard of a few MDS places for year 7 at the Hammond this year, anyone heard different? Seems like a limited year this time sadly. 

Edited by Balletmum1210
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Balletmum1210 said:

Elmhurst results are expected this Saturday, so there could be some movement on the waitlist in the coming weeks. I imagine Tring MDS and WL results will follow very soon too. Fingers crossed.
Iv’e only heard of a few MDS places for year 7 at the Hammond this year, anyone heard different? Seems like a limited year this time sadly. 

I got told there were 9 to go across everyone who auditioned 😞

• Like 1

Yes, very limited then. Such a shame. Elmhurst results came out this evening, fingers crossed for good news for somebody in the coming days. There were a few year 7s that attended the Hammond, at Elmhurst finals too so who knows. 

• Like 1

I’m so confused about the MDS system. Not sure how to articulate what I mean but I will try. 
So, for example,  if the school has 9 to give out,  what if one of the 9 people were only entitled to the smallest amount? Does that mean that the remaining value could be shared with another person who is only entitled to the minimum. Or are they only given out to people who require the full amount? Does that make sense? Do you know what I mean? 

2 minutes ago, Traineedancemum said:

I’m so confused about the MDS system. Not sure how to articulate what I mean but I will try. 
So, for example,  if the school has 9 to give out,  what if one of the 9 people were only entitled to the smallest amount? Does that mean that the remaining value could be shared with another person who is only entitled to the minimum. Or are they only given out to people who require the full amount? Does that make sense? Do you know what I mean? 

As far as I have been told if someone isn’t entitled to the whole amount (it’s means tested) then the money doesn’t go into a pot to be distributed to others. Whereas I was told this is the case with DADA awards.  So some will be entitled to MDS but amounts received will vary depending on income. Hope that makes sense x 

My understanding is that you either get an MDS or you don't. Whether or not you are allocated one is nothing to do with your income - the school won't know your income when they offer you a MDS funded place. Some schools have enough MDS awards for the full year group (i.e. WL and I believe Elmhurst) and others only have a few (i.e. Tring and Hammond), so they allocate them however they want to. 

Once you get an MDS funded place, you then submit all your financial information etc and the school will tell you how much the MDS award is and how much your parental contribution to the fees will be. This is a sliding scale - the more you earn, the less MDS you will get and vice versa. Nothing happens to the rest of it - the amount of the award is personal to you and solely dependant on your own financial position. 

6 minutes ago, Traineedancemum said:

Each year you might get a different amount to as it goes on the tax heat so your submit your figures which might fluctuate year on year. x

But what would be the point of offering MDS funding to somebody who doesn’t need it? I know this won’t be in the majority of cases but if awards are given out before parental income is known it just seems a bit strange to me. 

Also if the registration fee for a place has been paid but then the student cannot accept the place ( for lack of funding) is this reimbursed? 

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

But what would be the point of offering MDS funding to somebody who doesn’t need it? I know this won’t be in the majority of cases but if awards are given out before parental income is known it just seems a bit strange to me. 

Also if the registration fee for a place has been paid but then the student cannot accept the place ( for lack of funding) is this reimbursed? 

No you don’t get it refunded as I asked this question as our MDS won’t be approved until possibly the end of the summer term as we have to wait for the government to release this years forms so we have filled out last years for the school to look over to see if we are likely to be eligible or not. x

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

If you are over the threshold for MDS support then you would let the school know that and not apply for a funded place. It is a high threshold though (higher than for the DADA), and most people will be eligible for some amount of MDS support.

As I say it is a sliding scale, so the amount of the MDS award may cover almost all of the amount of the fees or it may be only a few thousand pounds and the rest of the fees are paid by the parental contribution. 

• Like 1

My daughter was awarded MDS to start year 7 this coming September. She did not apply anywhere else so not waiting on other results. I know of maybe 3 others for year 7 that got MDS and as far as I'm aware they are not waiting on results from elsewhere either. I think it would be better for the school to be more transparent with this rather than have people waiting and hanging on to hope. 

1 hour ago, MA-mummy said:

My daughter was awarded MDS to start year 7 this coming September. She did not apply anywhere else so not waiting on other results. I know of maybe 3 others for year 7 that got MDS and as far as I'm aware they are not waiting on results from elsewhere either. I think it would be better for the school to be more transparent with this rather than have people waiting and hanging on to hope. 

I agree, it would be nice to know but I suppose anything can and does happen so It’s just a case of sitting tight and waiting. I wish we were able to know our child’s position on the waiting list as that would give you an indication of whether to keep hoping or not but like I said anything can happen and I’m a firm believer in what’s meant to be will be!

15 hours ago, Balletmum1210 said:

Yes, very limited then. Such a shame. Elmhurst results came out this evening, fingers crossed for good news for somebody in the coming days. There were a few year 7s that attended the Hammond, at Elmhurst finals too so who knows. 

Elmhurst released results in the middle of the 2 day WL finals?  When will these schools start to think about the impact of this sort of thing on the children involved. They are 10 & 11. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BattementBatty said:

Elmhurst released results in the middle of the 2 day WL finals?  When will these schools start to think about the impact of this sort of thing on the children involved. They are 10 & 11. 

That really annoyed me! They could have waited until Friday afternoon, I’ve chosen not to tell my daughter yet and help her focus on the audition instead. 

• Like 3

Just now, Laura_ballet said:

That really annoyed me! They could have waited until Friday afternoon, I’ve chosen not to tell my daughter yet and help her focus on the audition instead. 

Good luck to your daughter!! Hope whatever happens she is having a wonderful experience 💕

12 minutes ago, Laura_ballet said:

I’m not surprised!  So unnecessary and whatever decision each child’s parents make you are relying on other people (and young girls) to be thoughtful and considerate of each other’s feelings in a very high pressure environment. One child’s huge confidence boost might be another’s knock down if they happen to hear about it. Just not necessary. 

I completely agree about the timing of the results, I was expecting them this afternoon for that very reason.  Very happy to say that it was good news for dd and she didn't get through to wl finals. It won't help anyone here unfortunately as she too was on waiting list for mds at Hammond. Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting on good news 🥰🥰