Hammond audition news?

Dancemum100

Sorry to keep harping on about this just trying to understand the procedures properly …but..if somebody was awarded an MDS and they didn’t need it at all ( I know this would be rare) would that unused MDS be then awarded to another student? 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sorry to keep harping on about this just trying to understand the procedures properly …but..if somebody was awarded an MDS and they didn’t need it at all ( I know this would be rare) would that unused MDS be then awarded to another student? 

Yes the award would be given to someone else who has indicated that they require a MDS.  Each school will have a set amount of MDS places they can hand out, unlike the DaDa there is no pot of money you either have an MDS place funding or not.  These places are given out on talent and not financial need, so if a family's income was £120k a year and they were offered a MDS place  they would just get less support from government than a person who was offered a MDS place and their family income was £30K.  I think last year the cut off was £150k for MDS funding but don't quote me on that.

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 1

Yes it would.  The school has a set number of awards and if a student is not eligible either because they don't meet residency requirements or have a very high family income (it's somewhere around £150-200k per year I think) then it will be given to someone who is eligible.

• Like 1

Thankyou Ballet Dreams and Jewel I think I’ve finally got my head around this!! 
None of the whole audition process seems wonderfully transparent to be honest. 
Anyway best of luck to all those hoping for an MDS hope it’s your lucky year. 

Back in our day Hammond had the wonderful Janet Starmer who used to explain the process in clear, simple detail to parents.  It was a sad day when she lost her job in the big re-organisation.

Edited by Jewel
  • Like 2

I think the only 100% bursary that might be awarded at any school would most likely be to male dancers as they are still in short supply & money may be deciding factor in a boy selecting one school over others when several offers are quite likely received. Also 100% funding might be secured from a one off sponsor agreement from an individual donor/supporting body/charity but invariably these days anything charity based will be means tested so full support unlikely - even by MDS/DaDa - unless at the very lowest end of household income.

Edited by Peanut68

I assume we would start to hear about movement after the holidays, if there were to be any. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed to find out about the support fund 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Nothing here either. I'm presuming there will be no staff in for the next three weeks with it being Easter so I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while now. It's proving to be a good lesson in learning patience. Although I'm proving to be a poor student! 

Is there anyone on this thread who has a dancer starting at Tge Hammond this year? My daughter has a place and I’m keen to get to know other parents of year 7 2024 intake. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gemroar said:

Is there anyone on this thread who has a dancer starting at Tge Hammond this year? My daughter has a place and I’m keen to get to know other parents of year 7 2024 intake. 

On 23/03/2024 at 09:06, Lissieloo said:

Nothing here either. I'm presuming there will be no staff in for the next three weeks with it being Easter so I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while now. It's proving to be a good lesson in learning patience. Although I'm proving to be a poor student! 

Admin staff at least are still in this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

We got a call just before Easter. My daughter has been offered a DADA for The MT Diploma. We are over the moon as we couldn't afford full fees. I hope everyone else hears something soon. Xx

• Like 7

18 hours ago, MTMUM said:

We got a call just before Easter. My daughter has been offered a DADA for The MT Diploma. We are over the moon as we couldn't afford full fees. I hope everyone else hears something soon. Xx

That's great news- congrats! X

• Like 1

On 12/04/2024 at 22:26, MTMUM said:

That’s great news. Anyone heard anything about MDS coming avalaible? 

17 hours ago, Dancemum100 said:

That’s great news. Anyone heard anything about MDS coming avalaible? 

I would assume after the next lot of auditions they are holding before we start to hear anything 🤞🏻

On 25/03/2024 at 22:11, Gemroar said:

My daughter is starting in year 7 in Sept and has a scholarship! We’ve not heard much since finding out! 🤞 for everyone waiting x

Edited by Jan McNulty
Edited to remove child's name

On 25/04/2024 at 09:11, Dancemum100 said:

Anyone else starting to lose hope? I haven’t heard of any movement on waiting lists at all 😞

I don’t think there will be any movement until the offers are officially in place and accepted. I believe no one has officially had the official MDS offer with the amount of funding they will receive. It’s a case of waiting to hear from support fund first. Those with MDS offers will still be waiting to hear how much funding they would be entitled to….But yes I’ve started to lose hope and starting to plan ahead