Hammond audition news?

Dancemum100

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

Does anyone know how many MDS were awarded? I feel totally gutted that my daughter hasn’t got one and don’t know whether to bother paying the registration fee or not. 

I was wondering this. We never got one for year 9 entry. I wonder how many got awarded for late entry years?

1 minute ago, Dancemum100 said:

Does anyone know how many MDS were awarded? I feel totally gutted that my daughter hasn’t got one and don’t know whether to bother paying the registration fee or not. 

I'm the same, I don't know why they offered a place in the school when no funding  was available. I'm a single parent and had pancreas issues and live in a caravan to be able to fund my daughters lessons. So I'm definitely in the low income bracket so absolutely gutted for my girl. I cant afford to pay the deposit.

• Like 1

We feel the same. Year 10 entry here. I read somewhere on an older forum post that often MDS funding can be prioritised to lower years. I completely understand the reasoning behind this but I feel it might have been slightly more transparent before applying. £160 seems a large amount of money to pay.  It would be much easier if we were allowed to know roughly where we were on the reserve list. 
Stay strong ladies/gents x

I have been feeling the same - absolutely gutted for my daughter and awful that I can’t afford to fund it for her myself.
I assume they over offer places as they expect some may give their funding offer back?

My daughter has taken it better than me really, she is being so grown up and she seems to recognise that it’s a great achievement to get an offer and I’m hoping that pushes her to keep going with her dance. 
Has anyone applied to the support fund? I’m also still in 2 minds about the registration fee - I would be more inclined to pay that if we had an indication of where she is on the waiting list. 
X

Edited by Liz1986
  • Like 1

I am crossing my fingers that after this next set of auditions this weekend, they release more funding to give more the opportunity to attend 🤞🏻🤞🏻 

Does anyone know how many MDS places they usually have per year and how many students do they take on each year for year 7 dance is it 20 maximum? A few people told me 2/3 MDS per year,   then I saw on here someone said 8-12 which is not obviously a lot more 😃🤞🏻

Has anyone got in and able to go without the funding? We have spoken to one person on the dance course in that situation but I know most are like us and need the funding. 

I wonder also when other schools offer their places whether there might start to be a bit of movement? 
I know of one girl who is a day student who self funds but did get some government help for some health needs. I'm not sure how much though. X

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lissieloo said:

I wonder also when other schools offer their places whether there might start to be a bit of movement? 
I know of one girl who is a day student who self funds but did get some government help for some health needs. I'm not sure how much though. X

That’s good the government helped with the fees, nice to hear something positive  👏🏻

We have spoken to 2 others who are starting in year 7 and have been offered MDS too, they are not waiting on offers from other places. I expect there might possibly be students already at the school who might have auditioned elsewhere and if they get a place and currently have MDS this would come available. 

I could be wrong but I would expect they would have held some MDS back for these auditions coming up, so I am guessing there is more available. 

I have everything crossed for everyone that more come available over the coming weeks 🤞🏻🤞🏻

38 minutes ago, Mumoftwogirls2023 said:

That’s good the government helped with the fees, nice to hear something positive  👏🏻

We have spoken to 2 others who are starting in year 7 and have been offered MDS too, they are not waiting on offers from other places. I expect there might possibly be students already at the school who might have auditioned elsewhere and if they get a place and currently have MDS this would come available. 

I could be wrong but I would expect they would have held some MDS back for these auditions coming up, so I am guessing there is more available. 

I have everything crossed for everyone that more come available over the coming weeks 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I really hope so! Xx

When my DS was at Hammond the number of MDS's changes from year to year depending on how many have been released by departing Y11 and other  students.  I suspect that remains the case.  

Also, DS was offered an MDS in year 7 which he declined.  When the school of his choice and he mutually decided to part ways at the end of year 9  (Ok he was assessed out) he was fortunate to be offered an MDS from Hammond.  Another school said they had a policy of only offering them once.   At the same time students joined in years 8 and 9  and at least one got an MDS.

They may have been an unusual year, and it wa a scarily long time ago but I suspect the bottom line remains;  it's who they want.

A couple of yrs ago, my dd was offered a place for yr 9, and offered a percentage of financial assistance from the school. We had to decline as it was beyond our means. She was on the waiting list for an MDS, and we got a phone call on the last day of the summer term offering her one! I phoned and explained, at the time, that we couldn't afford the £160 registration fee, and they said not to worry about it.  Dd has since moved onto a vocational ballet school, with a focus purely on ballet, as this is the route she wishes to pursue. Her MDS was handed to another student in her year group when she left (we weren't told this by the school, but it wasn't hard to work out, as it was a friend!). There is movement all of the time in these schools, so keep hope. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know when decisions might be made with regards to the Hammond Support Fund? I know the deadline was 26th and acceptance fees are due this week, do you think we will hear from them before the deadline for the £160 is due? 

On 26/02/2024 at 09:19, Dancemum100 said:

Does anyone know how many people auditioned this weekend? I wonder if that will have any impact on any more funding being released?

Not sure how many auditioned but several were told the 25th so turned up Sunday so they are now auditioning in Easter so still some to go. Not sure what that means for finding whether there will be a longer wait if anymore available or not? 

7 minutes ago, Mumoftwogirls2023 said:

Some of the lower school had been told the 25th so turned up then, but had missed it as it was the 24th so still to audition. x

Yes the original dates were the other way around and some people didn’t get the new emails. I know of a couple of people who attended the wrong days xx

3 minutes ago, Mumoftwogirls2023 said:

Are they going back in Easter to audition? x

My friend was told her daughter could do a separate audition but wasn’t told when and there was no confirmation on what would happen regarding funding so she doesn’t know what she’s going to do.

I heard (and only through word of mouth so have no idea if this is true) that they had 9 MDS awards to give this year throughout all the year groups. That doesn’t make me feel very positive about one coming available but will just have to hang tight! 

On 27/02/2024 at 12:11, Lissieloo said:

Does anyone know when decisions might be made with regards to the Hammond Support Fund? I know the deadline was 26th and acceptance fees are due this week, do you think we will hear from them before the deadline for the £160 is due? 

Highly unlikely due to the amount of auditions they are doing at the moment. So I assume they would get those out of the way first before they look at the fund. 

50 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

Has anyone without a MDS paid the registration fee?

I have. I wonder in what circumstance you wouldn’t? Isn’t it a payment that is refunded in the long term anyway. What was the deadline for accepting place and registering? 

Edit to add that it’s non refundable. Not really fair if people aren’t paying it. 

Edited by Traineedancemum
Correction

6 minutes ago, Traineedancemum said:

I have. I wonder in what circumstance you wouldn’t? Isn’t it a payment that is refunded in the long term anyway. What was the deadline for accepting place and registering? 

Edit to add that it’s non refundable. Not really fair if people aren’t paying it. 

People don't want to pay it if they haven't got an mds. They arnt in a position to loose £160 when a child can't go if they haven't got funding. It's a lot to loose.

9 minutes ago, Traineedancemum said:

For the first round of auditions the deadline was yesterday not sure about the last round.

I have paid the registration fee. In my eyes if you aren’t registered then I can’t see if they would allow you on the wait list. But I could be completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree. In my head it was better to be safe than sorry. 

3 minutes ago, Dance86 said:

I have paid the registration fee. In my eyes if you aren’t registered then I can’t see if they would allow you on the wait list. But I could be completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree. In my head it was better to be safe than sorry. 

I had this thought process too. Still living in hope for some financial support x