Prix de Lausanne 2024

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted that you have started a Prix de Lausanne section; I watch it all every year; I adore it . it's the best week of the year!

Laura_ballet you can find it on Arte Concert a few hours after the live-streaming; this morning is already there. I think you will be able to watch it on YouTube at some point as well.

• Like 1

Have any of the U.K.schools entered their students in this?  We seem to shy away from entering anything competitive, even ordinary schools do not have sports days anymore.

@SPD444 the RB School don’t enter candidates under the current leadership.  

I asked why not and was told because they’d have to offer the opportunity to all their pupils and they don’t have the resources to do it !!!!

Some years there are candidates from other UK schools and independent candidates.  There is a pre-filtering system too.  So there may have been candidates that didn’t make it through.  

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

Have any of the U.K.schools entered their students in this?  We seem to shy away from entering anything competitive, even ordinary schools do not have sports days anymore.

There's a Portuguese boy, Gabriel Pimparel, in the senior boys' class, who is a student at English National Ballet School.

• Like 2

Has anyone else noticed that the French teachers and coaches abbreviate terms, using "développ" and "chass" (among others) instead of développé and chassé? Julio Bocca and Lakey Evans-Peña, however don't do it. It seems very strange that the French teachers do it when it is their language. It really shocks me but perhaps some of you who are training, dancing professionally or teaching can tell me whether it is common practice nowadays.

If you listen carefully, they do use the full form when each syllable corresponds with each beat of the rhythm they are teaching.  They shorten it if there are fewer beats or the rhythm is faster.

It's a type of shorthand if you like.   Nothing sinister. 

Love that I don’t work on Fridays. Errands done, the rest of my morning is clear and I am just up to 106. 

Can someone remind me how many get selected to go to the finals?

Other than occasionally watching some clips of the final I've never watched much of the Prix in the past but this year I've managed to catch quite a bit and am really enjoying it. 

There's so much on offer I have found it more rewarding to focus on what really interests me which so far has been

- the individual coaching sessions for the classical variations. I am bowled over by the wonderful Nicolas Le Riche coaching the boys: what a superb coach: articulate, expressive, encouraging, spot on in his eye for detail; and

- Elizabeth Patel's class for the girls. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Tattin said:

Has anyone else noticed that the French teachers and coaches abbreviate terms, using "développ" and "chass" (among others) instead of développé and chassé? Julio Bocca and Lakey Evans-Peña, however don't do it. It seems very strange that the French teachers do it when it is their language. It really shocks me but perhaps some of you who are training, dancing professionally or teaching can tell me whether it is common practice nowadays.

I haven’t been able to see the videos yet but from what you’re describing, my guess is that they’re using the present imperative conjugation of the verb (from which the noun is derived), using the “tu” form of address rather than the “vous”. So “develop” (as in “développe le mouvement/develop the movement”) rather than “do a développé” if that makes sense, and also rather than “développez” (pronounced the same as “développé, but which is in fact the “vous” version of “développe” (imperative) or “développes” (present). Gosh I realise how complicated that sounds! Basically, they’re speaking their language (correctly) rather than using “technical” ballet terms. Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

I think the problem arises because hardly anyone anywhere uses the full name of the steps. At the barre the steps are nearly all named battements plus an adjective but the word battements is dropped frequently e.g. battements tendus become tendus, battlements frappés become frappés, battlements développés simply développés.  Literally translated it would be unfolding movement, so yes it is being said as an instruction - unfold.

Another difference is that in French ballet classes there are petit sauts, small jumps. The word sauté is only used as an adjective show it is a jump, an échappé can be either sauté or relevé, likewise grand fouetté can be relevé or sauté.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Stucha, Garnier & Pas de Quatre for your comments on my post about développé & chassé etc. It seemed to me that they were using shorthand for the movement rather than the "tu" form of the verb. It quite shocked me! Of course I know about steps at the barre such as battements frappé being shortened just to frappé but in this case it was cutting off the last syllable of the word.

And yes, Sabine0308 I picked Paloma Videllara Vidart from Argentina, Nº  317, as a finalist. I managed to pick 12 of the 20 finalists this year, but based largely on their solos whereas the judges base their decisions on classwork and many other factors such as suitable physicality.

Paloma catched my eye from day 1. It's just this quality that cannot be overlooked. Académie Princesse Grace is such a good school, and this year, after a break, they have 3 finalists in this competition. Good Luck to all of the finalists!

• Like 1

On 29/01/2024 at 23:07, SPD444 said:

This year, 4 girls and 1 boy entered from the UK but were not selected to compete in the live rounds in Lausanne. I don't know anything about who these candidates are, whether they're studying at UK schools or abroad, or are private candidates. 

The RBS have previously stated that they don't enter their students for competitions because of timetabling constraints. 

I don't think schools are shying away from competing, but the structure of the British education system and the pacing of training at dance schools in the UK make it difficult to participate in competitions such as this one. 

To enter in the younger category, students must be 15 or 16 years old, so year 10 or 11 at school. Most would not want to enter in year 10 and leave school without doing GCSEs, and year 11 students are auditioning for upper schools as well as juggling GCSE's, so difficult for vocational schools to prepare for this as well. Furthermore, I imagine that vocational schools would want to "showcase" their most talented students at a competition like this if they did enter, and might not be keen to prepare them, only for them to then go off to another school!

Upper school courses in the UK are generally 3 years long starting at age 16 with the aim of having the student ready for employment at 19/ 20. In the older age category, students must be 17 or 18 to compete, meaning that they would be in their first or second years of upper school (and at the time of application would have only just started their first or second year) so may not be ready for a professional contract (which is what they're competing for) at that time. In many other countries, students complete their training at an earlier age.

Here is the list of finalists:

106 - HUANG Crystal, United States, 15.3 yo
111 - DOBRIN Nali, Romania, 15.5 yo
122 - LEE Wongyeon, South Korea, 16.6 yo
123 - PARK E-Eun, South Korea, 16.6 yo
201 - DOS SANTOS SILVA João Pedro, Brazil, 15.2 yo
207 - TOSHIDA Taichi, Japan, 15.8 yo
211 - WEBER Léo, France, 16.10 yo
212 - ZHANG Desihan, P.R. China, 16.10 yo
302 - STEELE Natalie, United States, 17.2 yo
307 - KIM Jioh, South Korea, 17.7 yo
313 - DAY Ruby, Australia, 17.10 yo
315 - KOBAYASHI Airi, Japan, 18.4 yo
317 - LIVELLARA VIDART Paloma, Argentina, 18.5 yo
318 - KANG Yujeong, South Korea, 18.7 yo
407 - SCHILLACI Giuseppe, Italy, 17.6 yo
408 - WILLEY Carson, United States, 17.6 yo
411 - BLIGHT Jenson, Australia, 17.7 yo
415 - LIMA SANTONS Martinho, Portugal, 17.11 yo
417 - FEDELE-MALARD Juliann, France, 18.1 yo
431 - HORI Takafumi, Japan, 18.11 yo
Edited by invisiblecircus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tattin said:

Thank you Stucha, Garnier & Pas de Quatre for your comments on my post about développé & chassé etc. It seemed to me that they were using shorthand for the movement rather than the "tu" form of the verb. It quite shocked me! Of course I know about steps at the barre such as battements frappé being shortened just to frappé but in this case it was cutting off the last syllable of the word.

And yes, Sabine0308 I picked Paloma Videllara Vidart from Argentina, Nº  317, as a finalist. I managed to pick 12 of the 20 finalists this year, but based largely on their solos whereas the judges base their decisions on classwork and many other factors such as suitable physicality.

I watched some of the streams (so lovely!) and see what you mean. I think it’s basically a way of showing how comfortable you are with the vocabulary, if that makes sense, that you can cut it (a bit like the way upper-class British people may use very “direct” language). French people do this a lot. But I can understand that it may seem strange to people who hear it for the first time!

i have to admit I was really impressed by how well Elisabeth Patel speaks English! For someone who has spent basically her whole career in France, I found her extremely confident in moving back and forth between the two languages. Of course, I realise that the ballet world is international, but i:’s easy to forget how much harder it is to work in a language other than your own. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

317 Paloma Livellara Vidart (from Argentina, Académie Princesse Grace!) is a prize winner or I'm blind.🤘

I liked her Contemporary very much.

see 2:09:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVVKj4ovVI

I’ve only had a chance to scan about half of Friday’s women. I used to attend these regularly when I lived about two hours away by train and was there in winter.

Unlike some, only around half my ‘raves’ usually made it to the semi-finals. And once again, one that I like, Natalie Vikner from France didn’t make it. In her Classical, although slightly less noteworthy in her surety, I thought that she had a lovely, linear elegance.

see 24:10

I’m certain that there are others that I’ll look forward to seeing.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

The RBS have previously stated that they don't enter their students for competitions because of timetabling constraints. 

I may be wrong, but my perception is that the Royal Ballet is quick enough to offer places in the Upper School for winners of these competitions.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I may be wrong, but my perception is that the Royal Ballet is quick enough to offer places in the Upper School for winners of these competitions.  

The Royal Ballet is a partner company and the RBS is a partner school of the Prix de Lausanne and as such, they must offer places to one student at the school and one dancer in the company for a year if any of the winners choose them as options. While they are bound by the rules of the partnership to offer only these places, they sometimes take an additional prize winner into the school if more than one has chosen the RBS and they like that candidate. Furthermore, they sometimes spot other dancers that they like and take them as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, invisiblecircus said:

The Royal Ballet is a partner company and the RBS is a partner school of the Prix de Lausanne and as such, they must offer places to one student at the school and one dancer in the company for a year if any of the winners choose them as options. While they are bound by the rules of the partnership to offer only these places, they sometimes take an additional prize winner into the school if more than one has chosen the RBS and they like that candidate. Furthermore, they sometimes spot other dancers that they like and take them as well. 

Good heavens, I never knew that.  What exactly is a partner company?  It seems a little odd to me that one of the most prestigious schools in the world is bound by a partnership rule to have a winner in the school/company, when their existing pupils do not participate.  Does it have to be the overall winner, or just someone who has won something?  

If you watch the Finals you will see that there are several prize winners. They can then choose which of the partner schools or companies they would like to go to. Their choices are published in a few weeks time. The institutions offering prizes are listed on PdL's website.

• Like 1

Someone who has won something.

Julie Joyner, prix de Lausanne dancer this season at The Royal Ballet, was not the winner last year.

Many VERY talented dancers of The Royal Ballet are in the company thanks to the Prix.

Yuhui Choe, Mayara Magri, Akane Takada, Alexander Campbell, Steven MacRae, Ryoichi Hirano, Calvin Richardson (?), Leticia Dias, Gina Stom Jensen, David Yudes, Yu Hang, Marco Masciari, Sumina Sasaki, Hannah Park....

Some of them entered the company directly, others went for one two years in the RBS. They certainly never went to White Lodge 🙂

Edited by MAX
  • Like 2