Press Release: International ballet stars come together for Dance for Ukraine at The London Palladium on 18 February

Please note a few £25 standing places have been released for sale - grab them quick if you want one!

The start time has been deliberately set at 6.30pm to help people with Sunday transport.

The wonderfully stylish Denys Matviienko, who gave so many great performances in London with the Mariinsky and Mikhailovsky in roles such as Romeo and Albrecht, is joining the Dance For Ukraine cast on 18 February.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also remember him in Don Q partnering Osipova at her London debut in the role.  And who remembers the Mikhailovsky's high camp Spartacus with him in the title role?  Seeing Denis Matvienko again must be worth the price of a ticket alone - at least it is for me.

• Like 8

I did wonder what had happened to Denys and Anastasia Matvienko after they posted online that they were leaving Russia (he as a freelance and frequent guest principal at Mariinsky, Bolshoi and Mikhailovsky, she as a first soloist at Mariinsky Ballet) with their offspring after the invasion of Ukraine. I got the notification of Denys participating on social media and will be pleased to see how he's getting on. He was wonderful in Giselle, Don Quixote and so many other ballets. 

I've booked tickets and hope the rail services will be OK that day! (Less said about the rail company that silently cancelled my stop and the stops before and after it without any warning or announcement and dumped us in the next county to find our own way home in the dark last weekend, the better.) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Emeralds said:

(Less said about the rail company that silently cancelled my stop and the stops before and after it without any warning or announcement and dumped us in the next county to find our own way home in the dark last weekend, the better.) 

Nooooooo!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I did wonder what had happened to Denys and Anastasia Matvienko after they posted online that they were leaving Russia (he as a freelance and frequent guest principal at Mariinsky, Bolshoi and Mikhailovsky, she as a first soloist at Mariinsky Ballet) with their offspring after the invasion of Ukraine. I got the notification of Denys participating on social media and will be pleased to see how he's getting on. He was wonderful in Giselle, Don Quixote and so many other ballets. 

I've booked tickets and hope the rail services will be OK that day! (Less said about the rail company that silently cancelled my stop and the stops before and after it without any warning or announcement and dumped us in the next county to find our own way home in the dark last weekend, the better.) 

Anastasia Matvienko is a soloist  in Ljubljana and a regular guest at the National Theater in Brno, where she performed as Odeta/Odilie and Aurora in 2023 and as Nikia in La Bayadère in March 2024.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

how exciting:

The London gala, on February 18, will give audiences a chance to appreciate her distinctive artistry in two pieces: a pas de deux from Alberto Alonso’s flashy version of Carmen (partnered by Denis Matvienko) and the celebrated Dying Swan solo made famous by Anna Pavlova.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I really hope this gets recorded!

Me too, due to the proximity of this to Icons I decided against going, not to mention cost of train/hotels. Sounds good.

I see Mikhail Baryshnikov has personally donated $10000 to Dance for Ukraine👍

• Like 8

Press release

Thursday 15 February 2024

Dance for Ukraine

The London Palladium

Sunday 18 February 2024 at 6.30pm

lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/dance-for-ukraine

• Ivan Putrov’s second gala in support of his home country Ukraine, ahead of the anniversary of the war
  • Featuring former Bolshoi Ballet superstar Olga Smirnova, making her first UK performances since leaving Russia in protest at the onset of the war
  • Stars of The Royal Ballet Marianela Núñez, Martthew Ball and William Bracewell, and soloists from Ukrainian National Ballet to also perform
  • Funds raised will support the arts in Ukraine, with a new production for Ukrainian National Ballet of Ashton’s La Fille mal gardée, the first British ballet to enter its repertoire
  • Tickets on sale now

“…the most passionate display of dance that I have witnessed and the most meaningful." The Daily Telegraph on Dance for Ukraine

Ukrainian born dancer and former star of The Royal Ballet Ivan Putrov today announces Dance for Ukraine at The London Palladium on Sunday 18 February 2024, following the success of 2022’s gala that raised over £160,000 net for the Disaster Emergency Committee’s Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

Bringing together a cast of international ballet stars, this year’s Dance for Ukraine comes ahead of the second anniversary of Russia’s illegal invasion and ongoing war. This special benefit gala will raise much needed funds to support young artists with grants towards their training. Additionally proceeds will be go to make a new ballet production for Ukrainian National Ballet of Sir Frederick Ashton’s La Fille mal gardée 

Featuring over 15 pieces performed by leading dancers from Dutch National Ballet, English National Ballet, The Royal Ballet, Ukrainian National Ballet and more, the evening will also include a performance by the ROH Songs for Ukraine Chorus conducted by Ukrainian/Canadian conductor Keri-Lynn Wilson. 

Selected repertoire and casting for Dance for Ukraine at The London Palladium

After the Rain

Choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon

Performed by Marianela Nuñez & Lukas B. Brændsrød

Asuka

Choreographed by Asami Maki after Akiko Tachibana

Performed by Yuuri Hidaka & Tomoharu Yonekura

Carmen Suite

Choreographed by Alberto Alonso

Performed by Olga Smirnova & Denys Matvienko

Dying Swan

Choreographed by Mikhail Fokine

Performed by Olga Smirnova

Forest Song (pas de deux)

Choreographed by Vakhtang Vronsky

Performed by Olga Golytsia & Volodymyr Kutuzov

Gloria (pas de trois)

Choreographed by Kenneth MacMillan

Performed by Minju Kang, Joseph Taylor & Lorenzo Trossello

Gopak from Taras Bulba

Choreographed by Rostislav Zakkharov

Performed by Volodymyr Kutuzov

La Fille mal gardée (pas de ruban)

Choreographed by Frederick Ashton

Performed by Sabīne Strokša & Philip Fedulov

Le Corsaire (pas de trois)

Choreographed by Marius Petipa after Joseph Mazilier

Performed by Marianna Tsembenhoi, Luca Acri & Vladyslav Bosenko

Metamorphosis

Choreographed by David Dawson

Performed by Sangeun Lee & Gareth Haw

Preliwd - World Premiere

Choregraphed by Andrew McNicol

Performed by William Bracewell

Two x Two

Choreographed by Russell Maliphant

Performed by Grace Jabbari & Ivan Putrov

Further repertoire and casting to be confirmed. Subject to change.

Of Dance for Ukraine, Ivan Putrov said: “It is a privilege for us in the UK to bring a little light, hopefully, to the people of Ukraine. I am thankful to all the artists, creatives and organisations that have donated their services to this cause, and I am proud Olga has chosen to come to our gala in support of Ukraine and make her first appearance in London since leaving Russia. It has always been a dream of mine to bring La Fille mal gardée to Ukraine and I am thrilled it will become the first British ballet to enter the repertoire of Ukrainian National Ballet for audiences to enjoy for years to come.”

Nobuhiro Terada, Artistic Director of Ballet at the of the National Opera House of Ukraine said: “Despite this terrible war, we are continuing to perform and are striving to keep the spirits of our dancers and our audiences high. I can’t imagine a more inspiring way to do this than to add this most delightful and heart-warming gem of British ballet to our repertoire. We are hugely grateful to all of those working to make this possible. We send our thanks and gratitude to Jean Pierre Gasquet, for his generosity, to all of the artists taking part and, of course, to the audience for their support.”

Internationally renowned dancer Ivan Putrov was born in Kyiv, Ukraine and trained at The Kyiv State Choreographic Institute before moving to The Royal Ballet School. Following his training he joined The Royal Ballet and was promoted to Principal after just three seasons. Throughout his career he has danced lead roles in all the classics on some of the world’s most prestigious stages, winning numerous awards for his performances.

The first Dance for Ukraine, held at the London Coliseum in 2022, was directed by Ivan Putrov and the international ballet star Alina Cojocaru, who trained in Kyiv. The gala featured a huge range of world-renowned dancers and sold out within 48 hours, raising much needed funds to support those in desperate need following the onset of the war. 

Dance for Ukraine is produced by the charity Inspiration in Motion (Charity number 1167669), that promotes dance and the performing arts, with a particular focus on commissioning and supporting new dance works, as well as looking for opportunities to broaden audiences for dance and support education and training.

• Like 3

I'm really pleased to see that there's an excerpt from Gloria by dancers who did it so well in Northern Ballet's contribution to the Multi-company MacMillan festival at the Royal Opera House several years ago. Northern Ballet fans greatly miss Minju since she left to join ENB with Lorenzo Trossello;  although she has had a few soloist roles, eg in Giselle, so far she's not had the opportunity to shine as brightly as she did with Northern Ballet, unlike Lorenzo. And Joe Taylor always enhances anything he dances.

Each time I went to the Wells to see Alina's new ballet I met Ivan outside, handing out leaflets. He seemed to be astonished to be recognised!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I'm really pleased to see that there's an excerpt from Gloria by dancers who did it so well in Northern Ballet's contribution to the Multi-company MacMillan festival at the Royal Opera House several years ago. Northern Ballet fans greatly miss Minju since she left to join ENB with Lorenzo Trossello;  although she has had a few soloist roles, eg in Giselle, so far she's not had the opportunity to shine as brightly as she did with Northern Ballet, unlike Lorenzo. And Joe Taylor always enhances anything he dances.

Each time I went to the Wells to see Alina's new ballet I met Ivan outside, handing out leaflets. He seemed to be astonished to be recognised!

He has been outside the ROH a couple of times recently as well!

• Like 3

I've just noticed that the programme items are in alphabetical order and (hopefully) not the actual running order as that would mean Olga Smirnova has only 30 seconds (!!)  to change out of the Carmen costume and into the Swan tutu and the hairstylists to change the Carmen makeup and hairdo and fit on the swan hairpiece, which would be impossible without an interval or other items in between! Looking forward to the Gopak, Two by Two, Gloria (the old NB colleagues together-fab) ....all of it! 

• Like 2

For those of you who. like me, can't attend, I contacted the organisers to inquire whether it would be live-streamed or filmed and the answer,sadly, was "no" due to restrictions by the venue.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Ivan Putrov has posted on social media that Francesca Velicu from ENB will also be performing tomorrow night. 👏 

Sorry - I mean Sunday night of course! (The perils of being on international calls when you speak to someone in a location where today is already tomorrow!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

I would love to be able to go but my trains are so severely affected by engineering works it would be virtually impossible to get home! Just looked at the box office and there appears to be a shocking number of seats unsold....

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cescablue said:

I would love to be able to go but my trains are so severely affected by engineering works it would be virtually impossible to get home! Just looked at the box office and there appears to be a shocking number of seats unsold....

I find the sales quite curious for this. I know it was announced late and its at a venue no known for ballet but there are some serious stars in the cast with Olga and Marianela. It also has had quite a bit of marketing. Perhaps post-Christmas belt tightening by some is not helping. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 12:27, Tattin said:

For those of you who. like me, can't attend, I contacted the organisers to inquire whether it would be live-streamed or filmed and the answer,sadly, was "no" due to restrictions by the venue.

This is unfortunate as they could make more money charging for streaming!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I’m looking forward to the Corsaire pas de trios. Marianna Tsembenhoi, Luca Acri and Vladyslav Bosenko

Looking forward to reviews! I would have loved to go, but it's a combination of ticket prices, trains and timing for me as Sunday night is never the best time to be out, with a work week ahead.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

This is unfortunate as they could make more money charging for streaming!

I imagine the extra cost of filming, editing and distributing is prohibitive.  

The first time around it may have been provided free. 

Edited by FionaM
Add last sentence
  • Like 1

I'll admit that comparisons probably are not fair or accurate, but for the want of an explanation. the first Dance for Ukraine gala was quite hot off the blocks as being one of the first fundraisers to help those suffering in a horrific invasion (beginning on 24 Feb) that was major news and shocked us, so a lot of people wanted to help in whatever way they could, hence it sold out in less than 48 hours (or whatever that astonishing record was). 

The first gala was actually incredible and still amazing to recall - huge credit to ENO, the front of house staff, ENO orchestra and all the dancers who agreed and prepared so quickly and all donated their skills and time for free, and the ENO leadership who gave Ivan and the audience the use of the Coliseum free of charge. Among the biggest donors that night would have been Marianela Nunez, Alina Cojocaru and Mathieu Ganio, who can command high fees for dancing at a gala but performed that night for free, and ENO who can normally charge many thousands of pounds for the hire of the Coliseum on a Saturday night.

Unfortunately for Ivan and the organisers for tomorrow there have now been so many fundraisers since March 2022 (because the invasion has not stopped) that the funds people have to donate are getting stretched. 

Also, the prices at the time were a narrower range with relatively more affordable tickets available- I remember seats at £50 and below £50 being available. I've actually spent less on my ticket this time than last time because there is no in between price- I'm caught between very low price or very high price and the very high is way more than what I can splash out on as a treat. 

At that time of the first gala in March 2022, prices of goods and services hadn't shot up the way they have now so people had more money to spend. Right now, a lot people attending will have seen their bills go up by 30% more than what they were during March 2022 so the ticket prices need to be slightly lower than or the same as March 2022 and not much higher,  which they are. 

There's a big jump in price range from the £25 seats to the next price point and the top price ticket is much higher than that of the March 2022 gala. Once all the £25 seats are gone there are not a huge number of people left in London and the Southeast who can afford the higher prices and are free to attend. However I still think as a night out it is more than worth going (a friend is coming with me); you'll get great performances as well as helping a good cause. I may have to leave early (or not) to catch the Sunday trains but it will still be incredibly special even if I had to.

There are other 2 major challenges: a) the show is on a Sunday rather than Saturday (the first Dance for Ukraine gala had been on a Saturday) so it makes it quite hard for fans from another city or region to attend who have to be up early for work and other commitments on a Monday morning. And b) a major obstacle is that the Palladium is generally not a dance venue and is better known for whatever long running musical or panto it has. So the show won't get the core group of dance regulars who would normally visit ROH and Sadler's Wells and possibly also Coliseum. There will be a number of people who looked at the info and saw that it was at the  Palladium and on a Sunday decided they couldn't go (I think the feedback about seats on this thread reflects this). Paradoxically, had the first gala been held at the Palladium I think it would have sold out too.

There hasn't been that much marketing to the general public (the long article and photos in The Times being an exception) although we know it's difficult to spend precious money raised on marketing and reduce the amount of money going to the charity.  LW Theatres (who have a wider reach than the Palladium page) could have announced it more frequently instead of just 2 posts in 2 months. 

The only way to sell off the unsold seats would be to reduce the prices. But if enough tickets have been sold at the highest prices they may well have raised enough. I think reading various responses here and feedback elsewhere, if there had been some tickets available at £30 and £40 as well as what they have currently priced it at, more seats would have been sold. I'm not sure what Lloyd Webber's firm is charging for the use of their theatre or if they are donating.

However, it's very heartwarming to read that ballet legend Mikhail Baryshnikov has donated a generous sum, akin to buying up many rows of seats (while still leaving them available for last minute sales). I don’t know if he himself can actually attend but I have a feeling there may be a number of luminaries attending. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

I have wondered whether it would be worthwhile reducing some prices to get more bums on seats, but then hope to get additional donations by cash or card while in the theatre, but then I have no idea how these things really operate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alison said:

I have wondered whether it would be worthwhile reducing some prices to get more bums on seats, but then hope to get additional donations by cash or card while in the theatre, but then I have no idea how these things really operate.

I'd agree with you on that, @alison. At the first gala, after the curtain went up and the chorus members (including soprano Inna Guseva who sang the Faure Pie Jesu solo for Marianna Tsembenhoi's solo from Requiem by MacMillan) walked forward to join soprano Ksenia Nikolaeva while singing the Ukrainian national anthem, the scene was so powerful and moving that I would have given them the price of my ticket again if an usher had come by at that point with a bucket for donations. Seems like I wasn't the only one who felt that way: at the interval, the ushers told me that all the blue and yellow fundraising  ribbons had sold out (turns out my friend bought three!) so at the end of the show I bought 2 extra programmes and traded those with my friend for a ribbon! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1