Press Release: International ballet stars come together for Dance for Ukraine at The London Palladium on 18 February

Rear stalls are okay, front stalls are another matter as the orchestra pit is so high.  Being on the shorter side leg room isn't a problem.  Sight lines are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am short (5’1”) and have had no problems viewing ballet on this stage from the stalls from rows in middle to rear (both sides and centre).   A few of the closer rows have same problem as ROH and many other theatres  … you’ll start to lose the feet.  But of course you gain on other advantages of closeness.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Not a lot of legroom in the Palladium Dress/Royal Circle. 

Is it just that ROH is particularly generous with legroom?

Thankfully feel I can compromise on legroom as have secured an uninhibited view.

• Like 1

I previously sat in the Royal Circle at the Palladium for The King and I in 2018 and had enough leg room in a sold out section. Can't remember seat numbers but it was near the front, first few rows I think. Comfort, leg room and sightlines not an issue at all. It wasn't the most expensive ticket/row but it wasn't way at the back either, as I really wanted to see Kelli O'Hara (rare opportunity). 

Just managed to buy two tickets for this gala without any hassles or delays. Just literally pressed on seats I wanted without any special log in! E tickets ready instantly too. Am more than happy to support this important cause, and the efforts put in by Ivan and his colleagues. It looks like it will turn out to be an emotional but beautiful performance. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Not a lot of legroom in the Palladium Dress/Royal Circle. 

Yes, I think that may have been where I was sitting.  Brain says Row F, for some reason, but I may be wrong as it was decades ago.

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

Is it just that ROH is particularly generous with legroom?

I guess you don't sit in the amphitheatre? ;) 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this immensely and wishing all performers safe journeys to and from London.

If everyone on the list performs on Sunday 18th Feb, it will be my first time seeing Denys Cheryvychko (I missed his last visit) and I'd been looking forward to seeing him dance in person after his performance at the Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Day concert ballet films with former ENB principal Natascha Mair (small world). And oddly enough, despite her being based in London full time now, it will be my first time seeing Emma Hawes since April 2022 as I keep missing her performances due to injury substitutions or not being able to catch the dates she can dance. I look forward to seeing new names (to me) Golytsia, Hidaka, Jabbari,  Kutuzov, Yonekura. And incredibly, I think the last time I saw Ivan dance was about (oh my) 2 decades ago- can't wait! (I couldn't make it to his Men in Motion and Against the Stream performances- they always clashed with something I already promised others.)

It will be another unforgettable gala for many different reasons!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

I expect my views about the causes of this gala are in a very small minority but, while I applaud the first cause of this gala, of providing grants to struggling dance students in Ukraine, I do not think the second cause, of paying for Ashton’s “La fille mal gardée” to be staged by the National Ballet of Ukraine, is what Ukraine needs or probably wants at this extremely difficult time.  The National Ballet of Ukraine have recently been touring Canada with all profits to be donated to the Olena Zelenska Foundation which funds medicine, education and humanitarian aid throughout Ukraine so this is obviously where their priorities lie.  I was probably one of the first in line to buy a ticket for the first Dance for Ukraine gala, where it was advertised that the profits would go to registered charities (DEC), but this time I will donate the ticket price directly to a charitable cause in Ukraine.  Of course, I wish this gala well and hope that, in a vast theatre like the Palladium, the net profit will exceed the £160,00 raised last time because I would like to point out, for those who are unaware, that ENB’s Ukrainian ballerina, Katja Khaniukova organised and performed in a gala last summer in the National Opera House of Ukraine, in collaboration with the Kyiv School of Economics, which raised $2 million (yes, you read that correctly, $2 million) for Medevac air ambulances, the first of which has been operational for the last few months.  What an incredible achievement for her first attempt at organising a gala!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@Irmgard all valid points and I don't disagree with what you've said, but there is a bit more of a positive build. The arts may not be the first priority for Ukraine at the moment, but there are various reasons why to still support. This country doesn't have the best reputation for ensuring the continuity of arts during difficult times, of valuing performing arts in education or an extensive history of  performing arts accessible to all pre Lilian Baylis (according to some commentary I've read by journalist/author Norman Lebrecht of Slipped Disc) so I wonder if we can't quite appreciate how embedded ballet is in the culture of Ukraine in a way that we don't have here.

Interestingly, one of the reasons that the United Ukrainian Ballet, formed since the war, has presented Giselle internationally is that it is specifically seen as a non-Russian ballet. Katja Khaniukova has posted quite a lot over the past couple of weeks at least about the intertwining of politics and the arts, no doubt continuing the desire to move away from anything deemed Russian. Therefore, supporting Ukrainian ballet in producing and profiting from a non-Russian ballet can be seen as quite a positive endeavor. Admittedly not on the level of basic human needs, but people still need to continue living, plus the companies and dancers need to continue producing, training and earning if there is to be a resumption of normal life after the war.

• Like 7

I am at a loss to understand the negative comments appearing on this thread.  Should we not be applauding efforts to support the National Ballet of Ukraine as it goes through challenging circumstances?  Other initiatives, particularly in the Netherlands, have sought to give a boost to Ukrainian dancers and raise their morale.

No-one has the monopoly on raising funds for Ukrainian causes.  This is not a competition to raise the biggest amount.  Earlier fundraising triumphs do not preclude subsequent attempts.

I welcome the opportunity to attend this Gala and in my very small way to support the cause of spreading the glories of Ashton further afield.  I am sad that ballet professionals, whatever side of the fence they sit, are seeking to sully the noble art of ballet with petty squabbles and rivalries.  This may be the atmosphere backstage, but I am pleased to sit out front, to admire the artistry and generosity of the dancers and to enjoy the show itself.

If you are unhappy, please desist - do not dampen the spirits of dancers across Ukraine and do not spoil it for the rest of us,.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Something about theaters during the war.
The first year of the 2WW, was especially difficult for the Bolshoi Theater staff and the government decided to evacuate the company and workers with their families to the city of Kuibyshev (Samara) in Volga Region. The theater building in Moscow became empty...  On October 28, 1941, a German bomber that broke through to Moscow dropped a bomb on the historic Bolshoi's building, which exploded in the entrance hall.
The company spent a year and nine months in evacuation, but not the entire theater troupe left for Kuibyshev. On November 19, 1941, at the request of the artists who stayed in Moscow, performances were resumed at the Bolshoi’s second stage across the lane. Performances began in the daytime, air raids often interrupted them, the public went down to the bomb shelter, but after the all-clear the performance continued. Occasionally performances were interrupted several times. Among the ballets performed at that time was “The Vain Precautions” (La fille mal gardée) in A.Gorsky’s version after Jean D’Auberval.
  • Like 2

I hear what everyone is saying. I would like Ukraine to have both air ambulances and Ashton - and any other supplies they need - and if Katja Khaniukova's gala could be repeated in Britain for the same cause I would immediately support it too. I think both ambulances and Ashton are essential to a civilised society. Plus, La Fille mal gardee is such a tonic- everyone I know who has gone to see it, adults and children alike, has come away feeling happier and uplifted.

I've read posts and essays from Ukrainian professionals (teachers, doctors, nurses) and citizens enduring the endless air raids, power cuts, bombings and they've emphasised, survival is absolutely important but survival alone isn't enough. To that end, when children have been  hiding out in shelters during bombings, the teachers have worked to continue school lessons, play groups, art, singing, dance and games. While sick or injured children have been cared for in makeshift wards in basements because their hospital got bombed, the staff continue to have play times and celebrate festivals like Christmas, Easter and local traditions. It's important for their mental health.

I'd like this La Fille mal gardée to be part of those things that uplift them and nourish their spirit in addition to surviving. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I hear what everyone is saying. I would like Ukraine to have both air ambulances and Ashton - and any other supplies they need - and if Katja Khaniukova's gala could be repeated in Britain for the same cause I would immediately support it too. I think both ambulances and Ashton are essential to a civilised society. Plus, La Fille mal gardee is such a tonic- everyone I know who has gone to see it, adults and children alike, has come away feeling happier and uplifted.

I've read posts and essays from Ukrainian professionals (teachers, doctors, nurses) and citizens enduring the endless air raids, power cuts, bombings and they've emphasised, survival is absolutely important but survival alone isn't enough. To that end, when children have been  hiding out in shelters during bombings, the teachers have worked to continue school lessons, play groups, art, singing, dance and games. While sick or injured children have been cared for in makeshift wards in basements because their hospital got bombed, the staff continue to have play times and celebrate festivals like Christmas, Easter and local traditions. It's important for their mental health.

I'd like this La Fille mal gardée to be part of those things that uplift them and nourish their spirit in addition to surviving. 

If you wish to donate for air ambulances in Ukraine, it is still possible through the organisation Donate to Evacuate (details on Instagram).  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

If you wish to donate for air ambulances in Ukraine, it is still possible through the organisation Donate to Evacuate (details on Instagram).  

Thanks Irmgard- do you mean Khaniukova's Instagram or the organisation's Instagram? I don't use Instagram normally (Fb is more than enough for me and I might even ditch that soon because of recent bad experiences) but if it's at the top of the page I should be able to  get the info. 

Edited by Emeralds

36 minutes ago, Tattin said:

Do any of you know whether this gala is going to be streamed, live or otherwise? I believe the first one was not.

Tattin, the first one was streamed as a recording on Marquee TV. The second one hasn't been announced for streaming yet but it is worth writing in to ask them. (The announcement to stream the first one occurred after the Gala had finished.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Thanks Irmgard- do you mean Khaniukova's Instagram or the organisation's Instagram? I don't use Instagram normally (Fb is more than enough for me and I might even ditch that soon because of recent bad experiences) but if it's at the top of the page I should be able to  get the info. 

The organisation's Instagram but I expect if you Google it, the information will be available. 😊

Just back from a performance of Elijah,  a celebration of the human spirit if ever there was one, great art as ever making me briefly forget the negatives in my life.  I take a look at Ballet.co and find something so dispiriting and ugly that my euphoria evaporates more rapidly than ice cream in a heat wave.  So it isn't enough that Ukrainians are suffering the horrors of war but they must forego any pleasures that remain.

It was the wartime tours of British Ballet companies that turned dance into a popular art form in this country, just read Ballet in the Blitz and A Dancer in Wartime.  The theatres stayed open regardless of what was raining down on them and people frequently went home from a night out to find their homes a pile of rubble.  Ukrainians need distractions too.  A new ballet?  Just the thing!  Perhaps people are now too far removed from the realities of war to understand - unless there are great grandparents around to tell of their memories.  Perhaps watching atrocities every night on the telly has dulled any sense of empathy, at least I hope that's the case, rather than a total lack of concern.

Sure, medical aid is needed, so are cruise missiles.  But if as the pundits say we're on track for WW3 I hope I'm not deprived of culture in what might be my last days.

• Like 5

On 31/01/2024 at 17:51, Emeralds said:

Tattin, the first one was streamed as a recording on Marquee TV. The second one hasn't been announced for streaming yet but it is worth writing in to ask them. (The announcement to stream the first one occurred after the Gala had finished.) 

I really hope it get streamed, as I probably won't be able to go. I recall watching the first one on Marquee TV, I think it was on for quite a limited time though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did book but then discovered- no trains. Luckily a friend was happy to take the ticket.

It's a shame I can hardly ever go to galas  - which are always on Sunday - as there is usually some train problem. I wish them a full house.