Press Release: International ballet stars come together for Dance for Ukraine at The London Palladium on 18 February

Firstly I have no idea whether the Palladium has offered the theatre for free or not,  The timings for these events often have to do with availability of the venue and it has to coincide with the availability of the artists performing as well,  Dancers are usually free on Sundays wherever they hail from.  It is therefore the most convenient day of the week for them,  I believe the performance starts early at 6pm meaning the audience can depart an hour and a half earlier.

I have it on excellent authority that venues will suggest the seat prices and expect impresarios to fall in line with their 'recommended retail prices', I do not know if that is the case for tomorrow;s event or not, but it is worth bearing in mind.  Also worth bearing in mind is is the fact that top west end prices average out about £140, one west end musical charges over £300 for the best seats in the house.  If people can't afford that then those shows would close, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As to the Palladium not hosting ballet, I've seen rather a lot there, much of it highly memorable,  Plisetskaya's Dying Swan, my first sight of Manuel Legris and going much further back, Maina Gielgud dancing while her uncle, Sir John, recited Shakespeare.  Hopefully tomorrow will leave me with similar indelible memories. 

• Like 4

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have seen ballet at the London Palladium … most recently in October 2021.   A sold out evening of dance and conversation with Sergei Polunin. That was also pricey and seats took some time to sell.  Though the top prices did include a signed copy of his book.  In addition there were ‘meet and greet’ VIP packages which I’ve heard about at the Palladium and other Lloyd Webber theatres before.  

So I’m concurring with @MAB’s thought that the venue might lead on the pricing.  

There are lots of pros to this venue:

- without an orchestra pit the front rows are very close to the performers on stage

- good sightlines from most seats (unlike ROH) 
- it’s a good size stage for a gala

- the venue is in a great location, opposite Liberty’s and near Oxford Street

- plenty of cafes, restaurants, hotels

- multiple transport options

I am looking forward to a special night. 

• Like 5

My thinking on this gala … would I give £50-100 to the charitable cause outright?   And then it’s just a small amount more to see all these amazing dancers.   

Here’s a clip of Vladislav Busenko in La Fille, who I’d not heard of before … 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CosCotQotRx/?igsh=MTFxM29sOTU4YnR2dQ==

Nice!

I am looking forward to this. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, MAB said:

Firstly I have no idea whether the Palladium has offered the theatre for free or not,  The timings for these events often have to do with availability of the venue and it has to coincide with the availability of the artists performing as well,  Dancers are usually free on Sundays wherever they hail from.  It is therefore the most convenient day of the week for them,  I believe the performance starts early at 6pm meaning the audience can depart an hour and a half earlier.

I have it on excellent authority that venues will suggest the seat prices and expect impresarios to fall in line with their 'recommended retail prices', I do not know if that is the case for tomorrow;s event or not, but it is worth bearing in mind.  Also worth bearing in mind is is the fact that top west end prices average out about £140, one west end musical charges over £300 for the best seats in the house.  If people can't afford that then those shows would close, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As to the Palladium not hosting ballet, I've seen rather a lot there, much of it highly memorable,  Plisetskaya's Dying Swan, my first sight of Manuel Legris and going much further back, Maina Gielgud dancing while her uncle, Sir John, recited Shakespeare.  Hopefully tomorrow will leave me with similar indelible memories. 

It starts at 6.30pm 😉 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FionaM said:

My thinking on this gala … would I give £50-100 to the charitable cause outright?   And then it’s just a small amount more to see all these amazing dancers.   

And I suppose that anyone who wanted to support it could simply buy a ticket anyway, but just not go if it was too inconvenient.

• Like 2

Even though I am writing this TONGUE in CHEEK , I’ll probably still have to change my identity or even enter a witness protection programme by suggesting that, all other things being equal, perhaps there is no widespread appetite for or support for a production of La Fille? 😉 

On a more serious note, I know of more than one person who has confused Dance for Ukraine tonight with Ballet Icons next month and going to the Coliseum website (the last venue for DfU) to book has found only a few seats available and decided not to go. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Even though I am writing this TONGUE in CHEEK , I’ll probably still have to change my identity or even enter a witness protection programme by suggesting that, all other things being equal, perhaps there is no widespread appetite for or support for a production of La Fille? 😉

Peter the Peregrine Preferrer 😘

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PeterS said:

all other things being equal, perhaps there is no widespread appetite for or support for a production of La Fille?

Would you care to further explain your opinion?  Are you in possession of a poll of Ukrainian ballet goers, or perhaps someone with ill intent has inspired you to make this post?

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

Would you care to further explain your opinion?  Are you in possession of a poll of Ukrainian ballet goers, or perhaps someone with ill intent has inspired you to make this post?

As I stated in capital letters in my original post my comment is written TONGUE in CHEEK. 

I promise the brochure, Ivan Putrov's website and the tickets really do say a 6.30pm start.  🙂

Looking at the programme again, I'm really thrilled to see Ukrainian dancers Olga Golytsia and Volodymyr Kutuzov in the rare gem Forest Song (I know it was performed by Mr Kutuzov with Yulia Moskalenko at Sadler's Wells in 2021 but I couldn't make it that year). I'd be very interested to see the whole ballet on stage one day.

• Like 1