ENB Nutcracker Nov 2023 - Jan 2024: Southampton, London

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Tweet from ENB: Principal casting update for today’s matinee: Fernanda Oliveira replaces Katja Khaniukova as Clara; Aitor Arrieta replaces Ken Saruhashi as Nephew; Henry Dowden replaces Miguel Angel Maidana as Nutcracker; and James Streeter replaces Giorgio Garrett as Drosselmeyer.

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

which is a timely reminder that any information sought and received re advance casting is a double-edged sword as it can only be considered a guideline not a given. 
that said if my preferred dancers don’t make it on stage for the performance I have booked there will be disappointment.

I can promise members and other readers due to watch this performance  that Fernanda and Aitor (who initially only got 2 shows this season) are a wonderful pairing, absolutely dreamy in both acts.

Fernanda is a compelling dance actor and there's a whole universe of emotions, stories and feelings n her face and limbs, and she has lovely lines and a glorious jump. Aitor seems to have morphed into resident virtuoso for the start of this run,  taking over Frola's mantle while Frola is off due to injury (although I expect McCormick, Trossello et al will produce some fireworks of their own when their dates come round). When Aitor does any pirouettes....just don't blink till he's finished. He was very good before, but technically he now has that "it factor" that Frola has. A must see! Can't go wrong with James Streeter in any character roles of course. 

I don't know if it was Katja or Ken who is injured or ill or both, but best wishes to them both and speedy recovery to whoever has suffered illness/injury. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Did anyone else read the BTG review (in yesterday's links) and feel your heart sink at this paragraph:

While I'm not seeing The Nutcracker I hope to see Giselle next month & I really don't want to be surrounded by people eating half a dozen different foodstuffs.

If any consolation, Dawnstar, the 99.0 to 99.6% full house I was at was a lot better behaved at the Swan Lake last season which had chomping, slurping, chatting during the music of Act 2 (although that's a longstanding stage management blunder of this production), filming, phone reading and photography during the show.  People did have snacks but were more discreet and considerate this time. Nobody filming or photographing during the dancing that I could see from my front row (couldn't see the last rows) 

Giselle tends to be mainly the ballet regulars that go as opposed to Swan Lake and Nutcracker which are more "mass appeal" productions so I expect the snacking will be done outside the auditorium if at all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

If any consolation, Dawnstar, the 99.0 to 99.6% full house I was at was a lot better behaved at the Swan Lake last season which had chomping, slurping, chatting during the music of Act 2 (although that's a longstanding stage management blunder of this production), filming, phone reading and photography during the show.  People did have snacks but were more discreet and considerate this time. Nobody filming or photographing during the dancing that I could see from my front row (couldn't see the last rows) 

Giselle tends to be mainly the ballet regulars that go as opposed to Swan Lake and Nutcracker which are more "mass appeal" productions so I expect the snacking will be done outside the auditorium if at all. 

I'm glad to hear it. I was decidedly unimpressed by the audiences at the two SLs I went to last season, worse than at the single Nutcracker i saw.

• Like 1

Tweet from ENB: Principal casting update for today’s matinee: Katja Khaniukova replaces Fernanda Oliveira as Clara; Ken Saruhashi replaces Aitor Arrieta as Nephew; Miguel Angel Maidana* replaces Henry Dowden as Nutcracker; and Giorgio Garrett replaces James Streeter as Drosselmeyer.

*Debut in role

• Thanks 2

Here we go again - ENB re this afternoon: 'Principal casting update for today’s matinee performance: Erina Takahashi replaces Katja Khaniukova as Clara; Daniel McCormick replaces Ken Saruhashi as Nephew; Matthew Astley replaces Miguel Angel Maidana as Nutcracker; and James Streeter replaces Giorgio Garrett as Drosselmeyer.'

• Thanks 1

ENB tweet: 'Principal casting update for today’s matinee: Katja Khaniukova replaces Erina Takahashi as Clara; Ken Saruhashi replaces Daniel McCormick as Nephew; Miguel Angel Maidana replaces Matthew Astley as Nutcracker; and Giorgio Garrett replaces James Streeter as Drosselmeyer.'

• Thanks 2

Although all these changes are unprecedented, at least it appears that there is an undisclosed need to swap casts rather than any injury or other problems.

The difficulty is that audience members might become wary of booking for a specific artist in future. ENB is at a point where it needs to build up a fan base for its wonderful leading dancers and what is happening is not going to help that cause.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

Although all these changes are unprecedented, at least it appears that there is an undisclosed need to swap casts rather than any injury or other problems.

The difficulty is that audience members might become wary of booking for a specific artist in future. ENB is at a point where it needs to build up a fan base for its wonderful leading dancers and what is happening is not going to help that cause.

Agreed. And can’t fathom why this is happening. 

• Like 1

And yet the published advance casting of Lorenzo Trosello and Laurretta Summerscales took to the stage as planned last night and danced up a storm. Special mention too of Noam Durand in the Cossack dance. 
( I was however less than impressed by the homemade sandwich munching, ENO bought popcorn crunching, drink slurping, freely-talking trio sitting in front of us.)

FYI there is now a ‘cloakroom’ of sorts again at the Coliseum. It is on the ground floor tucked into the gap between the staircase from the lower ground floor and the staircase up to the first floor. Once a cubbyhole which sold coffee and programmes it is laughable. It was full to overflowing within 5 minutes of the doors opening. ( @LinMM)

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the cloakroom thingy is a step forward….just have to get there early and form the “cloakroom queue” I suppose if desperate to use it! 
The eating and drinking doesn’t sound too much fun though…..hope Lauretta couldn’t hear all the munching in her sugar plum solo 🙄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ENB Tweet: 'Principal casting update for this evening’s performance: Shiori Kase replaces Emma Hawes as Clara; Erik Woolhouse replaces Vsevolod Maievskyi as Nephew; Victor Prigent replaces Skyler Martin as Nutcracker; and Henry Dowden replaces James Streeter as Drosselmeyer.'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see none of our members appear to be attending ENB Nutcracker after Christmas....or maybe too shy to post thoughts or reviews?  😉 8 more performances left (today is a two-show day) till the run ends of 7 January (Orthodox Christmas Day!) with a Sunday matinee.  There are currently a limited number of tickets left for all the matinées (Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun) and tonight's evening performance; other shows are sold out. Am looking forward to their run of Giselle after Nutcracker ends, but also interested to read thoughts from anyone who has attended or is going to attend a post Christmas performance, especially with any dancers making a debut in a lead role. 

28 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I see none of our members appear to be attending ENB Nutcracker after Christmas....

I find their current production an easy swerve, tbh. I went a few times when it was brand new, wasn't keen, so only went when a favoured dancer was in a lead role - but now, even that is too much (especially as my budget only stretches to the concrete, padded steps at the top of the theatre). A few of us were discussing this the other night, and agreed we probably wouldn't go again until this current production replaced

• Like 4

I completely agree with @zxDaveM above.  I haven't been to see this production for years as I dislike it intensely.  I really love ENB and have been watching them since LFB days, but I just can't justify spending any money on seeing this production.  So, with the money I've saved, I am able to go and see three of their superlative Giselles instead.  I do hope that the time is rapidly approaching where we get a new (and infinitely better) ENB Nut.  Just my own opinion, of course.  I am sure others like it, and they do seem to sell out every year, so maybe they won't see a need to spend money on a new one.  

• Like 4

I’m still at the stage where I might go every 5/6 years to see a particular dancer in main role like this year Lauretta… but wasn’t to be. I suppose if it’s still selling out so well  it’s going to be difficult to justify commissioning a new one. 

Whilst on ENB…… I keep seeing ENB Facebook adverts for Giselle with Lauretta cast as Myrthe 🤔

I’m assuming this must be an old Ad as didn’t think she was cast again in U.K. now until Swan Lake in the summer. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m still at the stage where I might go every 5/6 years to see a particular dancer in main role like this year Lauretta… but wasn’t to be. I suppose if it’s still selling out so well  it’s going to be difficult to justify commissioning a new one. 

Whilst on ENB…… I keep seeing ENB Facebook adverts for Giselle with Lauretta cast as Myrthe 🤔

I’m assuming this must be an old Ad as didn’t think she was cast again in U.K. now until Swan Lake in the summer. 

Lauretta is certainly not cast in Giselle.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes, it's the old footage from their last run! I remember seeing it and most of the dancers in the lead/featured roles- Alina Cojocaru (Giselle), Isaac Hernandez (Albrecht), Laurretta Summerscales (Myrtha), Cesar Corrales (Peasant pas de deux), Crystal Costa (Moyna or Zullme- the camera is focused on her at the start of one of the other clips) - have actually left the company! The only one who's still there is James Streeter (Hilarion). (At least, I'm 99% certain it's James but the camera is only on him for a second so it's hard to be sure- expecially with his back to the camera)! And of course, as you noted, Laurretta is back guesting- but only in Nutcracker and Swan Lake, not Giselle. Great recording of her in Myrtha's solo today though! It does make one long for her to be joining them for Giselle. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I find their current production an easy swerve, tbh. I went a few times when it was brand new, wasn't keen, so only went when a favoured dancer was in a lead role - but now, even that is too much (especially as my budget only stretches to the concrete, padded steps at the top of the theatre). A few of us were discussing this the other night, and agreed we probably wouldn't go again until this current production replaced

Those concrete padded steps are definitely not fun in winter, @zxDaveM! I must admit I prefer their counterparts at Sadler's Wells....and certain areas of ROH (must choose carefully). But do you mean you'd go to see a favoured artist if there was a stallls or upper circle seat reduced to padded concrete price? 😉 (Don't worry, you don't have to answer that or carry it out- just a hypothetical musing!) 

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Those concrete padded steps are definitely not fun in winter, @zxDaveM! I must admit I prefer their counterparts at Sadler's Wells....and certain areas of ROH (must choose carefully). But do you mean you'd go to see a favoured artist if there was a stallls or upper circle seat reduced to padded concrete price? 😉 (Don't worry, you don't have to answer that or carry it out- just a hypothetical musing!) 

not fun anytime!

If I could get tickets anywhere else in the Coli at the upper circle price, I would jump at the chance... except for their Nutcracker. Wild horses, and all that

Emeralds, I was due to go on the 29th. I was keen to see Precious Adams as Clara and would definitely have fed back here. However, I caught the horrible virus that’s been doing the rounds and had to stay at home. My daughters went without me and reported back that they loved Precious. They did complain about the uncomfortable seats though!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CCL said:

Emeralds, I was due to go on the 29th. I was keen to see Precious Adams as Clara and would definitely have fed back here. However, I caught the horrible virus that’s been doing the rounds and had to stay at home. My daughters went without me and reported back that they loved Precious. They did complain about the uncomfortable seats though!

@CCL I'm so sorry to hear that- two of my friends caught a similar bug too.....laid up in bed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! I'm so glad your daughters enjoyed seeing Precious Adams! She's in my "next ones to book" group  🙂.....perhaps you can catch her next season? Hopefully you'll all be able to have more comfy seats next time- do your daughters for the family discount or student discounts at all? If you book for the second ballet (Giselle this season) at the same time as Nutcracker, you can get the multibuy discount. That's how we avoid the "padded concrete" areas in the Balcony (although it's actually restricted signtlines due to the lighting fixtures that cause me more problems). 

46 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

not fun anytime!

If I could get tickets anywhere else in the Coli at the upper circle price, I would jump at the chance... except for their Nutcracker. Wild horses, and all that

@zxDaveM, I understand. 👍 👌 

7 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I see none of our members appear to be attending ENB Nutcracker after Christmas....or maybe too shy to post thoughts or reviews?  😉

I also actively miss this production. There are some lovely moments in act 1 but the staging is rather dark.

Act 2 is so sparse that it is lost on the stage and it seems rather unfinished.

I have already written to Aaron S Watkin to plead for a new (or old) production. Very much looking forward to Giselle next week though. Hoping I can get to the dress rehearsal despite the tube strike.

• Like 1

Sorry for my cluelessness, but could members who find it easy to give ENB nutcracker a swerve drop some hints as to why it lacks appeal to you?   I think I saw something about too few snowflakes in the snow scene for the vast stage, but are there other detractions as well?     

Also, are there wigs like in the ROH nutcracker?   

Thank you in advance for the education. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, myrtle said:

Sorry for my cluelessness, but could members who find it easy to give ENB nutcracker a swerve drop some hints as to why it lacks appeal to you?   I think I saw something about too few snowflakes in the snow scene for the vast stage, but are there other detractions as well?     

Also, are there wigs like in the ROH nutcracker?   

Thank you in advance for the education. 

I've only seen the ENB production twice but from recollection the first few minutes outside the house with the skaters are fabulous and then it is downhill all the way.  I found the rest of Act 1 very hard to follow as the Nutcracker and the Nephew kept interchanging and I lost the plot.  I thought the choreography for some of the national dances in Act 2 was mundane.  I wouldn't go and see it again as I was distinctly underwhelmed.

In respect of the Royal Ballet production I'm afraid I don't like it at all and I find act 1 confusing to follow.

• Like 3

Thanks for your kind message Emeralds! Fortunately a friend of my younger daughter (they are all young adults) was able to use my ticket. I’ve more or less recovered now and am raring to see Giselle on Friday 12th - fortunately not from the balcony!

I completely understand forum members’ reservations regarding the ENB Nut. There are bits that I really like but the bareness of the stage in Act 2 is something I really don’t like. I can’t persuade my daughters to try a different production though - it’s ‘what we do’ at Christmas and that’s that!

• Like 1