World Ballet Day 2023

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I very much enjoyed Northern Ballet's segment - a rehearsal of Tiler Peck's recent ballet for them - Intimate Pages.

Very foolishly I made an appointment to have my health MOT this afternoon and I missed a great deal so am catching up, it's good to see that NB had this segment of the RB time and the further connections being forged between the companies.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

From the Anemoi rehearsal, Harrison Lee is debuting in the Nakao/Ikarashi role with no prior rehearsal tonight.  

he looks amazing on one day (is it less than one day?) to learn the role.   

Strangely I was watching Harrison Lee in class this morning and he stood out for me, lovely clean work, technically very sound, and I've caught up with the rehearsal now and he's going to ace it! Looking good. Quite daunting though. 

Hopefully Ikarashi is not too badly injured but a great chance for Harrison Lee to have his moment.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

From the Anemoi rehearsal, Harrison Lee is debuting in the Nakao/Ikarashi role with no prior rehearsal tonight.  

he looks amazing on one day (is it less than one day?) to learn the role.   

Not wishing to diminish Harrison’s dancing in any way (I agree he looked great); but, surely, he would have been a cover and, therefore, learning/marking the role for some time.

Either way, I’m glad he has his opportunity.

• Like 2

Toi toi toi Harrison! He was outstanding in the Florestan pas de trois in Sleeping Beauty in May this year, and when I saw him, I thought, "Why has he been hidden away till now??!". Such elegant jumps, great feet and wonderful lines....reminded me of Anthony Dowell. How exciting! Looking forward to hearing from members going tonight about how his debut went.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Such elegant jumps, great feet and wonderful lines....reminded me of Anthony Dowell. How exciting! Looking forward to hearing from members going tonight about how his debut went.

I agree!   Unflashy but oh so good.  A class act. Perhaps KOH has his reasons. Maybe now is his time.

He won the Junior Grand Prix Award at the 2014 Youth America Grand Prix and in 2015 Lee won the gold medal and The Prix De Lausanne. He was recently awarded the Ballet Circle, Dame Ninette Award for the Most Outstanding Male Graduate for 2018.

https://www.roh.org.uk/people/harrison-lee

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the RB World Ballet Day programme.  I thought the programme was well thought out and managed to showcase the entire company very well.  The Class consisted mainly of artists and first artists with a sprinkling of more senior dancers, then there was a mix of Principals and artists in rehearsal, along with features which highlighted other aspects of the company repertoire.  The RB school rehearsal was lovely, though the cynic in me might have wondered if this was also the RB giving the school a positive showing after the bad Panorama publicity, particularly with the sequence preceding the rehearsal. 

The most annoying part for me was the coaching of the Dante project which for the majority sounded like complete gobbledegook. I understand this is a WMG invention. Forgive me if I view this is pretentious and unnecessary.        

• Like 3

I was surprised to see that some companies did not go live, but showed recorded classes/rehearsals. E.g. Staatsballett Berlin and Munich. Was it the case with other companies as well?

Re Munich, the "Le Parc" rehearsals (with Corps and soloists, coached by Laurent Hilaire) were interesting to watch. Premiere is November 25. Still some work to do...

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sim said:

...In addition to Fille I would love to see Onegin again (yes, it was danced just before lockdown, but by next season that would make it four years ago).

You and me both, Sim. Also several of the RB female principles, certainly regarding Onegin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

I was surprised to see that some companies did not go live, but showed recorded classes/rehearsals. E.g. Staatsballett Berlin and Munich. Was it the case with other companies as well?

Re Munich, the "Le Parc" rehearsals (with Corps and soloists, coached by Laurent Hilaire) were interesting to watch. Premiere is November 25. Still some work to do...

The Stuttgart Ballet also streamed a recording of last Saturday's stage rehearsal of John Cranko's 'Initials RBME'.

Artistic director Tamas Detrich explained that the theatres in Baden-Württemberg are closed today because of the holiday. The same could apply to Munich, for example.

Edited by NiniGabriel
typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyTaylor said:

The most annoying part for me was the coaching of the Dante project which for the majority sounded like complete gobbledegook. I understand this is a WMG invention. Forgive me if I view this is pretentious and unnecessary.   

One word - BAY! 🤣 I have seen Wayne's coaching online before and heard him say this over and over. I know this is how he vocalises his choreography but It just makes me giggle - and is rather distracting because, yes, it does sound like complete nonsense!

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

I believe that the reason for some of the German companies not performing live for WBD was that in these German states today was a bank holiday - All Saints!  

Tamas Detrich, the artistic director of Stuttgart Ballet, explains this for the international audience in Stuttgart Ballet‘s contributionwhich I , naturally, very much recommend for anyone interested in watching one of John Cranko greatest works „R.B.M.B“ 

I love their contribution to WBD this year -sadly it‘s  the last performances of Cranko’s R.B.M.E. for quite some time probably (together with the iconic „Requiem“ by MacMillan). It is work in progress, but it clearly shows SB’s approach to keeping such important pieces alive at the present moment.

in act one, Adhonay Soares da Silva was just stunning, his technical skills dazzling in the first act.

Act 2 always used to be a favorite of mine, especially musically. There were very strong performances here, especially from Marti Paixa Fernandez. (Mind-bogging throws of 3 ballerinas over his head in succession). But also the wonderfully charismatic Reilly, and, Anna Osadcenko, who embodied Birgit Keil.

Time ran out towards the end, so there wasn’t much time for corrections.
Not that much was needed, for the third act with the two protagonists, Elisa Badenes and Friedemann just dancing all out as though it was the actual performance:

a lyrical dream with Elisa interpreting Marcia Haydee  in a heart-tugging quest for companionship & higher truth together with the yearning and beautifully expressive, elegant and yet very natural Friedemann’Vogel.

Or for the fourth, where Matteo Miccini demonstrated his wonderful grasp of the role: („E“ for Egon Madson), joyous, quick-witted & nimble footed, with a dash of - „devil-may-care“ attitude thrown I 

it is such a complex piece of choreography for everyone involved, with the Corps often having to replicate the Principals‘ steps.

IMO (and from a very partial viewpoint of course), they all acquitted themselves exceedingly well, given that this was for just one week of remaining.performances of this great bill.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

(I know they did for 2022 World Ballet Day).

I hope it's there for a while too. It took several months for 2022 class to be removed and it is a mystery why it was, given all the other years that are still on YouTube.

However I'm not going to hang about as I skipped some parts too. Some consistency would be useful.

15 hours ago, capybara said:

David Hallberg seems to be creating an RB in Australia!!!

Edited to add:

Well, not the current RB but one with the kind of RB rep. many of us on here would like to see

I'm sorry @capybara but I beg to differ here. The last time we had any Ashton was 2015 and we haven't had a full length (Fille) since 2004. Christopher Carr staged The Dream here eight years ago, and he's done it again. We are so so lucky to have him here!

This double bill is insultingly short but still asking full prices ($333 for a premium seat, which is 85% of the stalls and the front two rows of the circle).

I'm spending two nights in Sydney plus flights (just too much driving and the train takes far too long) plus three performances, because the Ashton bill is not being shown in Melbourne next year.

Under the tenure of Mr Hallberg we've had some real rubbish, some hold-overs that were financially committed to before 2020, a "revamped" traditional Swan Lake cutting out a bunch of traditional bits and with no mime to speak of plus an underwhelming ending, and a couple of cool things (Kunstkamer, Everywhere We Go).

Annoyed in Albury

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sophoife said:

This double bill is insultingly short but still asking full prices ($333 for a premium seat, which is 85% of the stalls and the front two rows of the circle).

Hmm, I'd have thought that describing 85% of any stalls as "premium" was a bit of a misdescription?  In UK theatres, I think the tendency is to pick front and central seats from the Dress Circle or equivalent, depending on the theatre, but not most of them?  And also I think "premium" comes with extra perks such as a glass of alcohol and/or a programme.  Or it did ...

Not in AusBallet world, @alison.

They divide the theatre into Premium and A B C and D Reserves, with for this Ashton evening in the Joan Sutherland Theatre at the Sydney Opera House (which was originally intended as the concert hall) a price range for adults of $333, $254, $176, $127 and $85. "Restricted view" seats and believe me they're restricted (@Bluebird can attest to this) are $61. No extra benefits.

Given those prices, and that I'm a Melbourne subscriber not a Sydney one, I was absolutely delighted when the aforementioned @Bluebird gave me a heads-up on an offer of A and B reserve seats for just $99 and snapped up three reasonable ones for less than the cost of one Premium seat. I'm sitting way to the side for two, so despite being A Reserve with a slightly restricted view, and in the centre but in the second back row of the stalls for the third.

Reminder that SOH seating is in blocks with no aisles except at the sides, nothing like the horseshoe of the ROH.

They used to sell 6 standing places in the circle on each side (12 total), later reduced to 5 a side, on the day and I have very fond memories of walking down through a dawning Sydney and parking myself first in the queue with my portable breakfast (there's a convenience store at Circular Quay that sells plastic bowls of cereal, and I'd buy some milk, plus a piece of fruit and a coffee - often provided by my hotel!). Security often lent me a cushion.

By 6:30am the queue was always full, because they would only sell one ticket per person so if you wanted two you both had to queue. It was very fair. Box office doors opened at 8:30, tickets went on sale at 9, and usually sold out by 9:05. I'd be back at my hotel and back in bed by 10 😁

Then they started making standing places available the day single tickets went on sale, and removed the limits. Since Covid I understand the standing places are no longer sold.

Back on topic, my favourite class stream was Paris Opéra Ballet with Gil Isoart, who kept telling them to do something doucement or joliment or to n'oubliez pas l'épaulement et le visage 🤭 He wanted all the centre work to be presented, not just completed. It was a mixed rank class, the only male étoile I recognised was Paul Marque. I spotted Bleuenn Battistoni and Bianca Scudamore. One chap had fluoro green sockettes for the barre work 🧦

Edited by Sophoife
Formatting
  • Like 1

Only just reading this thread but another shout out for Harrison Lee as been keeping eye on him ( for a friend in Sydney too) for some years now and feel he has a lovely classical line and style so very pleased he has been given bigger roles more recently 

I would love to know how his debut in this Piece went. 
Still haven’t seen any of World Ballet Day yet! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Back on topic, my favourite class stream was Paris Opéra Ballet with Gil Isoart, who kept telling them to do something doucement or joliment or to n'oubliez pas l'épaulement et le visage 🤭 He wanted all the centre work to be presented, not just completed.

Yes, I was really enjoying his class, too - to the extent that I didn't switch over when the RB one came on (and when I did I was quite disconcerted by the roving camera).  He was very keen on the toes, too ... and I can't remember what else now.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, I was really enjoying his class, too - to the extent that I didn't switch over when the RB one came on (and when I did I was quite disconcerted by the roving camera).  He was very keen on the toes, too ... and I can't remember what else now.

Épaulement, arms, faces, toes, hips, knees...oh and pretty backs too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Épaulement, arms, faces, toes, hips, knees...oh and pretty backs too.

Terrific class. High energy teaching, he never stops, and the RB should consider him as a guest teacher... far far more interesting and complex work, using a wide range of steps, directions, than a great deal the RB presents on WBD to be frank (IMO).

You'd improve very rapidly with that on a daily basis. No slacking. Covers a great deal. And he's right, about presenting your work, actually dancing, using epaulment and the rest.   It's not simply a warm up for the day ahead.

Great music too.

• Like 5

Have just watched RB class and did that camera work annoy me!! 
But this was mainly for trivial reasons as was trying to spot some of younger dancers and caught sight of Ella Newton -S …she was wearing a red v neck leotard edged with white and fairly longish black skirt but almost every time it looked like we might get a really good look at her crossing the room the camera angle changed dramatically so no such luck …just some occasional distant shots so obviously the camera person doesn’t appreciate her dancing lol!! 
Also only the occasional glimpse of Caspar 😥 but we did see quite a bit of Viola and some great close ups of Principals so not too bad! And plenty of Joe and Harrison Lee. 
I have to say I didn’t like the class music that much especially the barre music. Nothing wrong with the actual playing itself but just not that inspiring choices of music though it’s a major skill to play for a ballet class of course. 
But some pianists are able to play the right dynamics for an exercise but also inspire with the music. I don’t mind a bit of jazzy stuff and adaptations from Musicals in a class but there are also some great bits of classical music to choose from!  
But apart from this little moan very much enjoyed watching the dancers. 
Have also just watched the rehearsal of Rhapsody and what a joy that was! 
Lovely to see Katie ( from summer Linbury performance) chosen for this but Tierney is also really lovely so this was all round a treat to watch. I wonder if they will be performing this next summer. 
Have to catch up with the rest later as now heading back to Brighton as at last there are some trains beyond Gatwick!! 

Thanks @annamk for the post of Ratmansky's Wartime Elegy, since I  can't fly to the West Coast of USA to see it.  🙂

The RB WBD is fascinating and a great "preview" of the various productions they are currently presenting and about to present.  I enjoyed watching Northern Ballet all over again in Tiler Peck's nrw ballet, even without costumes and lighting. Harris Beattie is a name for all to watch- the young man is a rising star! Actually, NB is full of rising stars and some are already stars! Just wonderful.

I've enjoyed seeing the Paris Opera Ballet and Australian Ballet in class and other rehearsals too. Going to dip into the American offerings later today. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Does anyone know when the ROH will take today's stream off the channel? (I know they did for 2022 World Ballet Day). It will hopefully be up for a bit as I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing in full yet

I think it's on for at least one month so do watch it all before December if you can! Thereafter I can't guarantee- there might be costs of various kinds so some might disappear before others. When it first started it all looked "so easy" but later on San Francisco Ballet said it was actually very expensive to take part in WBD with all the livestreaming and recording without the taxpayer subsidy that RB, Bolshoi,and presumably Australian Ballet and National Ballet of Canada had, so they actually had to start a crowdfunding effort on their website to take part next year. One year they couldn't take part at all, and I believe they had also had to take a break during one or both of the Covid years.

Thanks for getting her name correct Legseleven! Yes she is really beautiful to watch but Katie impressed me last summer so think she has a great stage presence.  Both these two have very expressive eyes…..definitely to watch out …for plus Harris Beattie …he stood out for me in Ben Ella’s Piece for Northern the other evening….well yesterday evening in fact …..just seems like yonks ago already. 
Anyway finally on a train going all the way….unless a tree should suddenly decide to belatedly descend on the line ….but partner says the storm mostly blown out now and everything still standing our end though a few hairy moments last night apparently!!