World Ballet Day 2023

8 hours ago, FionaM said:

Australian Ballet class has started 

Watching a bit of the replay of Australian Ballets live stream, and from what I’ve seen this morning I’ve quite enjoyed. It includes a Swan Lake Cygnets rehearsal, The Dream Fairies rehearsal and A Marguerite and Armand pas de duex Rehearsal. Wish we were seeing as much Ashton here in the uk but it’s still good to see. I think there were some Ashton stagers there including Christopher Carr. A great start and I am very excited to see RB, Sf Ballet’s and as many other companies that I can watch Streams.

• Like 4

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

Watching a bit of the replay of Australian Ballets live stream, and from what I’ve seen this morning I’ve quite enjoyed. It includes a Swan Lake Cygnets rehearsal, The Dream Fairies rehearsal and A Marguerite and Armand pas de duex Rehearsal. Wish we were seeing as much Ashton here in the uk but it’s still good to see. I think there were some Ashton stagers there including Christopher Carr. A great start and I am very excited to see RB, Sf Ballet’s and as many other companies that I can watch Streams.

Oh and a great class! I think Grant Coyle teaching Ashton repertoire was there too.

Yes, Grant Coyle and Christopher Carr- but also Laura Day, assisting Carr. She's such a loss to BRB but a lovely asset for the Australian Ballet.

So lovely to see some Ashton, even in rehearsal.

The sound is too low, at least on my MacBook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Wanting to celebrate World Ballet Day somehow, I could think of no better way than to ask the question forever on many BCF members lips to ROH management:
 “La Fille….what’s the story? Fact or fiction?”
Contrary to popular rumour and the conspiracy theories that abound on BCF, La Fille hasn’t been banned at the ROH. (I believe that it was scheduled and then had to be shelved due to the Pandemic so was a part of the lost season that also included Alice). All being well it ought to be staged within the next couple of seasons. Happy World Ballet Day 🙂 

Yes, I know someone else who was told this by someone who would know.  I will believe it when I see it!!  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

David Hallberg seems to be creating an RB in Australia!!!

I think Dame Peggy Van Praagh did that from the outset!

https://cicb.org/peggy-van-praagh/

In 1962 Peggy van Praagh returned to Australia as founding Artistic Director of The Australian Ballet. The company’s charter was to stage the classics from the nineteenth century, the most distinguished ballets of the twentieth century from all countries in both classical and contemporary styles, and new works of Australian origin. She guided the company’s growth from its beginnings to that of International status.

The repertoire that she brought to the Australian Ballet Company included the great works of Ashton and Tudor. In fact, eight Ashton works were introduced into the repertoire under the directorship of van Praagh and/or Helpmann. Van Praagh had been one of Antony Tudor’s muses and principal dancer.

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Contrary to popular rumour and the conspiracy theories that abound on BCF, La Fille hasn’t been banned at the ROH. (I believe that it was scheduled and then had to be shelved due to the Pandemic so was a part of the lost season that also included Alice).

Which begs the question which I've referred to a few times now: why hasn't Alice been rescheduled, if they want a moneyspinner?

1 hour ago, Silke H said:

I wish we had schedules to see what and where, and when to tune in.  It would be especially helpful as I'm at work (in the office in fact) thus am restricted how much I can watch.

All I can say is thank heavens for picture-in-picture mode!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, art_enthusiast said:

So Fumi’s confirmed as Beatrice? I’m not able to catch up fully with the Dante rehearsal yet

Yes, she has been for a while.  Does this lady keep saying 'bay'?  If so, what does it mean??!!

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Just hilarious! 

Donkey parody?? ! (Don Quixote pas de deux!)

I do tend to spend a great deal of time madly shouting corrections it's always good to see that even the terrific dancers of the RB are technically sloppy in class at times! ! (Faffy arms a particular hatred of mine.) 😁

Joe Sissens has feet to DIE for. Sigh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

Donkey parody?? ! (Don Quixote pas de deux!)

I do tend to spend a great deal of time madly shouting corrections it's always good to see that even the terrific dancers of the RB are technically sloppy in class at times! ! (Faffy arms a particular hatred of mine.) 😁

Joe Sissens has feet to DIE for. Sigh.

😂😂.  Excellent baloney (ballon)!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alison said:

Which begs the question which I've referred to a few times now: why hasn't Alice been rescheduled, if they want a moneyspinner?

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes, I know someone else who was told this by someone who would know.  I will believe it when I see it!!

As I’m beginning to understand it, programming for ballet companies as for many other theatres, takes place several years in advance not just now for next September. If this is the case, Alice & La Fille, having had to be shelved due to the Pandemic will have had to ‘join the queue’ until space on the schedule plus resources etc once again become available for them to be staged. 
Another example is Paris Opera Ballet’s Raymonda which has yet to be re-scheduled following its cancellation due to strikes or pandemic i can’t remember which.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Another example is Paris Opera Ballet’s Raymonda which has yet to be re-scheduled following its cancellation due to strikes or pandemic i can’t remember which.

Strikes.

9 minutes ago, PeterS said:

As I’m beginning to understand it, programming for ballet companies as for many other theatres, takes place several years in advance not just now for next September. If this is the case, Alice & La Fille, having had to be shelved due to the Pandemic will have had to ‘join the queue’ until space on the schedule plus resources etc once again become available for them to be staged. 

Yes, seasons are set a couple of years in advance, but it's not impossible to make changes, if they want or have to.   They must have the usual money-spinners lined up, but let's wait and see.  In addition to Fille I would love to see Onegin again (yes, it was danced just before lockdown, but by next season that would make it four years ago).

• Like 11

So Joseph Tonga has now been appointed Choreographer in Residence and the interview with him was all about bringing in 'different voices'.

He's a hip-hop man  by trade. Has the desire of the RB to be inclusive gone too far? I thought it was a Classical Ballet Company.

• Like 10

Thanks @Ondine Yes, that is what's on the website.

However, I don't recall Tonga's move from being Emerging Choreographer (for 2 years) to Choreographer in Residence actually being announced. And the way in which the position was mentioned by Alexander Campbell made it sound as if it was something relatively new.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2