THE LIMIT - ROYAL BALLET - Autumn 2023

• Geoff changed the title to THE LIMIT - ROYAL BALLET - Autumn 2023

I really quite liked tonight's performance.  I'm calling it performance as, just like Tech-shows on Broadway, The Limit's preview performances are open to the public (unlike ROH Friends Rehearsals).

I went in to The Limit without any expectations, though I had attended the Insight evening, and was really rather taken with the piece.

Alexander Campbell and Francesca Hayward work so well together and both are great actors, telling whole stories with just their facial expressions.

The set is quite stark (see photo), general lighting and overhead neon lights are used in a clever way. The musicians sit where Side Stalls right would normally be.  Alexander and Francesca remain on the stage the entire 75 minutes.

The music is really nice and for the most part doesn't interfere with the dancers speaking, it's generally either speech or music.

I am looking forward to seeing Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye tomorrow afternoon and then Francesca and Alexander once more in the evening.

image0 (2).jpeg

Edited by Silke H
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I too am looking forward to tomorrow afternoon and then next weekend for Hayward/Campbell. I don’t think there’s any price difference between previews and performances and I can’t see any reason not to post comments about the previews.

Given the truly depressing threads on pricing, discounting, marketing, abandonment of standards to attract new audiences etc, I’d welcome early views on The Limit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and if you do decide to gave it a go, avoid the first row if you can as you are below the stage. The dancers are lying down at a couple of points and you lose them entirely. Not sure why the theatre was designed that way. 

Apologies - I hadn’t twigged there was a difference (top price £40 for preview v £45 for performance). @Silke H’s point that preview and performance tickets are all on sale to the general public is strong and as there are still tickets available, and many for the second cast, hopefully some comment might help sales?

• Like 3

I would thoroughly recommend this as an interesting and beautifully performed production. Hayward and Campbell were both brilliant - speaking, dancing and (yes, really) singing - hugely impressive, and on stage alone for the whole of the 1 hour 10 minutes of the show. The choreography was excellent - expressive, fun and interesting. The music was surprisingly (to me) beautiful, and the set was simple and effective. I wasn't so sure about the words being spoken - I get the idea of the inadequacy of spoken communications between people/a couple, and thoughts about the effect of having a limit to the number of words that can be spoken - both limiting and potentially enhancing communication. But I'm not sure how illuminating it really was. But it was worth seeing for the quality of the performances, the choreography and the music. (And from what I saw of the Insight a few weeks ago, the second cast of Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye looked very impressive too.)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I would thoroughly recommend this as an interesting and beautifully performed production. Hayward and Campbell were both brilliant - speaking, dancing and (yes, really) singing - hugely impressive, and on stage alone for the whole of the 1 hour 10 minutes of the show. The choreography was excellent - expressive, fun and interesting. The music was surprisingly (to me) beautiful, and the set was simple and effective. I wasn't so sure about the words being spoken - I get the idea of the inadequacy of spoken communications between people/a couple, and thoughts about the effect of having a limit to the number of words that can be spoken - both limiting and potentially enhancing communication. But I'm not sure how illuminating it really was. But it was worth seeing for the quality of the performances, the choreography and the music. (And from what I saw of the Insight a few weeks ago, the second cast of Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye looked very impressive too.)

@bridiem, would you say the choreography is classical (ie like MacMillan or Wheeldon) or contemporary-but-with-classical-base like Crystal Pite? I noticed they were dancing in socks in the Insight event.

Just now, Emeralds said:

@bridiem, would you say the choreography is classical (ie like MacMillan or Wheeldon) or contemporary-but-with-classical-base like Crystal Pite? I noticed they were dancing in socks in the Insight event.

More contemporary-but-with-classical base. I understand that 'quirky' is a word often used in association with McNally's choreography, and that would fit here too. But also very effective, I thought.

• Like 4

Really enjoyed it. I think I was really inventive and quirky. Really great at the acting and as always they just slot together for the years of working together and they have that short hand and comfort together. I wonder when they look back on their careers how influential will they consider the other.

• Like 6

I saw Saturday afternoon’s preview with Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye. I’m afraid I rather struggled with the acoustics as I found it at times very difficult to hear what was said despite the amplification (or possibly because of the amplification as I’m sure the piano, violin, cello and percussion all became part of the sound mix). I was in the middle of the upper circle so I was a bit surprised to find difficulties in hearing. The performances were though very engaging and there’s much to admire. I do hope there’s a bit more of a formal curtain call and proper acknowledgement to the musicians who surely should take a bow.

But I think I’ll wait until I see Francesca Hayward and Alex Campbell next Friday before saying much more. I also think I’ll have to catch up on the Insights etc as I don’t really grasp when the word limit comes into play as the production is significantly more wordy than I expected.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I saw Saturday afternoon’s preview with Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye. I’m afraid I rather struggled with the acoustics as I found it at times very difficult to hear what was said despite the amplification (or possibly because of the amplification as I’m sure the piano, violin, cello and percussion all became part of the sound mix). I was in the middle of the upper circle so I was a bit surprised to find difficulties in hearing. The performances were though very engaging and there’s much to admire. I do hope there’s a bit more of a formal curtain call and proper acknowledgement to the musicians who surely should take a bow.

But I think I’ll wait until I see Francesca Hayward and Alex Campbell next Friday before saying much more. I also think I’ll have to catch up on the Insights etc as I don’t really grasp when the word limit comes into play as the production is significantly more wordy than I expected.

On Friday evening, Hayward and Campbell did take bows and also acknowledged the musicians. There were a few times when the music was loud and/or they were both speaking together or very quickly when I couldn't hear what was being said, but most of the time it was audible. And yes, I didn't fully understand the 'Limit' thing given that they were almost always speaking in truncated ways right from the start, before the limit was introduced. I thought in the end that this was probably meant to convey that even when we can communicate freely, we often don't. But I'm not sure it was really very effective. (Unlike the performances, the choreography and the music, which were all superb.)

• Like 3

I guess that the sound was one of the things they wanted to test in the previews. Unfortunately, last night, I missed quite a lot of what Frankie was saying when she wasn’t facing front and I believe that others shared this problem.

I, too, should’ve done my homework as I arrived expecting LIMITed  words when, in fact, the characters talked A LOT. So it would be unfair of me to comment much. Except, perhaps, to say that it is a tour de force from the two performers and the equally excellent musicians did take a bow yesterday evening, albeit from their performing positions.

Importantly too, the show is pretty much sold out for the whole of next week.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

I won't say too much beyond how much I enjoyed this piece. I was at Friday's preview, in the stalls. As suggested by @oncnp, I suspect that there was a short section when both performers may have been out of sight to the first one or two rows given the stage height. Thought the performances, choreography, lighting, music and sound (from where I was sitting the words were largely clear - no small feat given the motion) all superb. I'd read the play beforehand and the interpretation felt sublime. I thought it involved a number of risky decisions throughout - in other hands it might have gone terribly wrong but, for me at least, it went superbly right. It's brave, with brave, brave performances. Quirky, sure. Emotionally engaging throughout. Without saying too much, as others haven't, there was a big surprising moment towards the end that brought more joy than I've felt in a long while. Hugely impressed and would love the opportunity to see it again, though as a distant out-of-towner it won't be this week. It did strike me as a production that could be transferred to other small venues and toured, if the will was there. I certainly hope it gets a life beyond this coming week. It deserves it. 

Now to watch the Insight which I'd neglected to notice at the time it was broadcast!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there are any plans to film this but I wish they would.  I would love to see it on the stream. 

Had no problems with sound last night but it was my second performance so I was already a bit familiar with the material. 

I really enjoyed it (again). And was nice to get out a bit early. The ROH would do well to take more of these risks. It might help attract those new audiences they need

Edited by oncnp

I saw this at the Saturday evening performance & was very impressed with the overall effectiveness of the production. It makes a pleasing change to see something intellectually demanding instead of endless fairy/princess type shows & reveals what sort of project the young dancers themselves are interested in making. Loved Kristen McNally's choreography- it may be the most 'conventional' style she has presented & proves just how varied her work can be & it looks so good on Campbell & Hayward. Wasn't so keen on the music as it reminded me very strongly of work by 2 other composers, but it was well played.

Hayward & Campbell are brilliant dancers & excel here. Speech-in-dance performance is hard to do well, but to their credit there are enough brilliant moments to easily outweigh the few garbled, poorly miked bits & I suspect this will improve with each performance in the run.  I think this show will be most enjoyed by those audience members who also watch & enjoy drama at the National, Donmar, Almeida etc rather than those hoping for pointe work or fouettes.  More please!!  

• Like 8

Saw this tonight as I want to keep abreast of Royal activities.  This is very much a fitting experiment for THESE dancers in THIS company in THIS space at THIS time and it very much falls into line with this Company Director's stated future proforma.  I'm not sure how easily it would sit with other dance troupes in the UK and certainly beyond.  While I'm not sure it was entirely to my taste I will support the director in terms of further such ventures.  He has such a clear picture of what he wants the future of his Company to be and we must do all we can to support him.  The Royal dancers - many fine ones too - are now explicitly trained for exactly this kind of work.

As towards today's show, at those points when the dancers were required to do contemporary contractions Hayward and Campbell made them look exceedingly easy; they lived through them.  There was a struggle however with the placement - not of the feet, but of the voices.  Early in their training - when concentrating on ballet certainly and before joining these 'Royal' ranks - both dancers would have been told to 'pull up'.  You very much have to do the same when speaking theatrically and clearly no one had worked with them in this regard - or if they did it was sadly unsuccessful.  As a result, much of the dialogue - some of it very clever - went flat, certainly when playing against the music deployed. 

They were also not helped by being given body mics in such a small theatre - a venue fitting to this piece certainly - and, consequently, they were robbed of the control of their own verbal dynamic.  You can get around this but again it takes professional skill which obviously here was clearly and understandably lacking.  For example, at those points where rising anger was required from both performers  each became staccato and sadly slurred their words given the attempted rapidity of enunciation in tandem with the movements.  Again, this should have been relatively easy to fix in rehearsal and I'm surprised it wasn't.  It certainly appeared as if the performers were themselves unaware. 

All that being said - and having been able to 'hear through' the narrative in spite OF rather than in support of other artistic contributions in this instance I appreciated the dedication of the two performing artists to their charge.  The ROH website said that the run was sold out - and I'm sure it was - but I was surprised at the number of seats which sat empty.  I think of all the people on these boards who are struggling to buy tickets.  How I wish some of you could have been granted those.  A dedicated coterie of Royal fans were present however and did their utmost to cheer their favourites on.  Otherwise the response was somewhat muted.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The ROH website said that the run was sold out - and I'm sure it was - but I was surprised at the number of seats which sat empty.  I think of all the people on these boards who are struggling to buy tickets.  How I wish some of you could have been granted those.  A dedicated coterie of Royal fans were present however and did their utmost to cheer their favourites on.  Otherwise the response was somewhat muted.  

Perhaps this was ‘first night syndrome’?

By that I mean that many seats will have been reserved for invitees who don’t then turn up. Such a pity for the performers. But it appears from social media that several RB Principals were there to support their colleagues - how nice!

Completely agree with what you say @Bruce Wall about the voices. Following Saturday’s preview performance, I was so bold as to try to give some feedback on this (not as well expressed as yours) so I know that a huge amount of time and effort had been put into getting this aspect of the performance ‘right’.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The ROH website said that the run was sold out - and I'm sure it was - but I was surprised at the number of seats which sat empty. 

The ROH didn't say Monday night was sold out when I looked - although I didn't bother seeing how many seats were still available - but it seemed pretty full to me.  From upstairs (where I was playing "guess the audience members by the top of their heads"!) the stalls looked full, and I only spotted the odd empty seat.  Some people may still be being prevented from travelling after the storms this weekend, perhaps?

• Like 1

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that, I thought hearing Francesca was going to be a lasting problem after the first few exchanges but then it was all quite clear. Would happily watch it all again. 

I also loved the pre show entertainment of spotting RB dancers in the audience ☺️

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that, I thought hearing Francesca was going to be a lasting problem after the first few exchanges but then it was all quite clear. Would happily watch it all again. 

I also loved the pre show entertainment of spotting RB dancers in the audience ☺️

OK - who did you see?

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

Leo, Calvin, Kristen, Matthew , Samantha Raine

Vadim put up an IG story (with curtain call photo) congratulating Alex, so he must’ve been there too (Monday). 
As I said up thread, it’s really nice that so many dancers are supporting their colleagues.

• Like 5

I saw this on Tuesday and apart from there could even have been a Limit to 60 mins and the Limit would have expressed what it needed to but then I always think most things are just a bit too long these days! 
I really didn’t know what to expect…certainly not intellectual stimulation…not really what Dance is for…but although it just started to drag a tiny bit after the Dancing in the Dark “explosion”  it was mostly charmingly engaging… I did believe in these two characters and their ups and downs. 

I definitely got drawn into their world. 
And everything seemed to blend pleasantly well together ..words ..music..choreography… 

It must be quite exhausting trying to speak and move at the same time but mostly it came off….I could always hear Alex and only occasionally missed what Francesca said….at one notable point the audience laughed so most had obviously heard but unfortunately inspite of pretty focussed attention I’d missed what she said 🙄

What I didn’t really get is the potentially catastrophic effect of The Limit …140 words a day….definitely a nihilistic prospect for me!!  Or some potential revelation of salvation the characters may have found when the Law was finally enforced! 
I found that from the beginning they weren’t talking entirely freely and the choreography didn’t change that much after the lead up to it coming in. 
There was one dramatic moment when Alex had run out of his daily quota but Francesca hadn’t ….so some food for thought here lol!! 
And a very amusing moment where they both tried to speak with just their eyes. 
There was quite a lot of number quoting on their meet ups of what was left of their daily quota….a sort of neurosis which could develop in such a situation I suppose. 
But as I didn’t see the original play so have no idea of whether it was  a light hearted romantic Piece or heart renderingly dramatic Piece it’s difficult to say if this was successful or not.   I would guess the former from this Linbury production…..not something to pull deeper emotions into play. So in that way it did work ….not too demanding or soul searching just rather touching. 

These two dancers are really good together ( and still have to thank them for one of the most moving Giselles I’ve seen over the years) and watching them in this production of The Limit is not a bad way at all of spending more or less an hour of your time. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 4