THE LIMIT - ROYAL BALLET - Autumn 2023

Well I don’t know of course! I’m assuming that’s what all the number quoting was about!! Either the number of words had used already that day or the number they had left to use  …I’m just guessing! 
Or have I missed a deeper meaning in these numbers 🤔

Just now, LinMM said:

Well I don’t know of course! I’m assuming that’s what all the number quoting was about!! Either the number of words had used already that day or the number they had left to use  …I’m just guessing! 
Or have I missed a deeper meaning in these numbers 🤔

Your guess sounds plausible! I was just baffled. (A not infrequent occurrence with me.)

It was the number of words they had left for eachother at the end of the day. But in another way it also kind of spoke about energy levels to me. How much do we all have to give our nearest and most loved at the end of a work day. Sometimes you are running on empty. The play speaks about many things really. 

• Like 5

Yes, the number of words left, the number they had saved for each other, gave an indication of their (flagging?) dedication to each other.

Saw the 'other' cast this afternoon. Liked and enjoyed both cast members, and Hannah Rudd particularly fluid whilst dancing. The choreography properly her cuppa I guess. Vocals were clear enough, for my ears Jacob Wye clearer than Alex's aussie twang.  Not sure The Boss would have appreciated the singing though from either this afternoon!

• Like 1

Saw this with my son this afternoon and really enjoyed watching both Jacob and Hannah. (we have known Jacob since JA days) 

Despite my hearing problems I was able to follow the dialogue well. 

Found the whole piece really interesting, both dancers were excellent. And the cellist was wonderful too. 

• Like 7

I really enjoyed last night's performance [Hayward and Campbell] and we were talking about it for ages afterwards.  I haven't much to add to what others have said.  The premise of limiting verbal communication is interesting, especially when worked out by ballet dancers, who never usually use words in performance.  Unlike others, I felt the spoken text was the supreme conveyor of meaning and, while I enjoyed the movement/dancing, it seldom communicated to me as clearly as the spoken dialogue what was going on - maybe a reflection of my struggle to feel contemporary dance.  @Bruce Wallis completely right about the issues with the dancers vocal delivery [especially Hayward] - they were fully audible, thanks to the mics, but I could really tell they were not trained actors.  Despite the flatness of vocal tone, these two are really engaging performers and this was a brave and innovative experiment which held my attention completely and remained in my thoughts on and off all day since.  

• Like 2

I very much enjoyed last night’s The Limit with Francesca Hayward and Alex Campbell and gained a lot more out of the production on second viewing and having caught up on the Insight. I thought Hayward and Campbell hugely engaging and cared that they’d find a way to make their relationship work. I was very taken with the effortless shifts from language to movement to simultaneous language and movement and thought Kristen McNally’s choreography worked well. Good to have a commissioned score and I found Isobel Walker-Bridge’s music pretty effective. I still thought the sound mix odd - why have any amplification for the music for such a small, intimate theatre and the newsreaders surely far too loud? That over-amplification meant some words were lost but I’m pleased to say I heard the vast majority of the text without much difficulty. Congratulations to all involved in this innovative piece of theatre.

• Like 12