RBS Summer Intensive 2024

sunrise81

20 minutes ago, Medora said:

We had a very British week for our daughter when she was 10, maybe they take more UK dancers in the younger years? 

No experience of the younger years but I can imagine that would be the case. The cost of flights/ accommodation etc for parents accompanying young international students would be pricey.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

From experience ( 3x summer intensive)

95% ( approx guess) of Summer intensive are international students - many are first timers. My Dd had only 5 or 6 English speaking students to mix with, of which several were at RBS already. My opinion ( I have no inside knowledge) is that it’s a chance for the school to see worldwide talent they haven’t seen already ( through the uk associate schemes). Internationals tend to want summer courses because of the academic requirements / term times internationally and, I guess, they make a summer of visiting UK. Internationals don’t seem to be so omnipresent at Eastertime. My opinion only - that at the higher levels 13+, the international students are at a very high standard indeed especially where pointework is concerned. My Dd struggled having just passed inter- foundation. Her fellow students from S.Korea and Japan were easily Adv 2 standard and looked like mini professionals. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter a jot because everyone takes their own time to develop and gain the strength needed and meantime, there are loads of other great opportunities out there which my Dd enjoyed just as much, if not more.

@Ruby Foo what other opportunities would you recommend this is first time applying for the RBS intensives I knew about them because my daughter is a Junior Associate which absolutely loves. She got waitlist for spring and summer, interested to know what else is around not necessarily for this year but next year. Any ballet opportunities she'd love. Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Theatrefan said:

@Ruby Foo what other opportunities would you recommend this is first time applying for the RBS intensives I knew about them because my daughter is a Junior Associate which absolutely loves. She got waitlist for spring and summer, interested to know what else is around not necessarily for this year but next year. Any ballet opportunities she'd love. Thanks.

My Dd enjoyed Nicola Tarry’s summer school in Kent. She had a little boarding available. As a small dancer she enjoyed RCS in Glasgow - the contemporary was wonderful. She did a fabulous one in Northern France and we stayed in a campsite and had a little holiday at the same time. It was in a tiny village and quite remarkable. She also did an RAD one in Italy that her RBS associate teacher taught at ( very high standard) but she stayed with an Italian friend and we did not need to go.

There’s something really lovely and creative about a small, non competitive summer school. My Dd felt she learned more, got more attention and had more fun!

I can recommend Malvern and ENB for older students.

There are also summer schools in Marseille, Sicily and several in Switzerland if you can combine with holiday. Always good to see how the Europeans are teaching and the competition as you get older. There’s lots out there that are great, just try to look beyond the usual stuff.

I will try to find some links and post if I can. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theatrefan said:

I can recommend Elmhurst, Yorkshire Ballet Seminars and also Malvern is very good and is non selective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theatrefan said:

Raw Talent Ballet Coaching

run by Jose Martin and Kerry Birkett do lovely summer weeks although there’s no accommodation.

For anyone who was accepted, Congratulations! Did RBS set a deadline to accept? Just curious as a waitlister here when I can expect the earliest notification of a potential spot.  Based on comments previously posted here, it seems that waitlisters that do get in wait a long time to receive news of a spot for their child. Is that a safe assumption? Thank you!

A different waitlist question.

DD has been waitlisted. I’m not surprised as she I would be the youngest in the 16-19 age range.

We applied for the full five weeks, boarding option. Is she likely to only be considered for this on the waitlist, or would she potentially be offered the two or three week options, with or without boarding?

9 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

My Dd enjoyed Nicola Tarry’s summer school in Kent. She had a little boarding available. As a small dancer she enjoyed RCS in Glasgow - the contemporary was wonderful. She did a fabulous one in Northern France and we stayed in a campsite and had a little holiday at the same time. It was in a tiny village and quite remarkable. She also did an RAD one in Italy that her RBS associate teacher taught at ( very high standard) but she stayed with an Italian friend and we did not need to go.

There’s something really lovely and creative about a small, non competitive summer school. My Dd felt she learned more, got more attention and had more fun!

There are also summer schools in Marseille, Sicily and several in Switzerland if you can combine with holiday. Always good to see how the Europeans are teaching and the competition as you get older. There’s lots out there that are great, just try to look beyond the usual stuff.

Hi! Just curious what the small one in France is called?! My wonderful son got waitlisted excruciatingly…

3 hours ago, Sunflower said:

A different waitlist question.

DD has been waitlisted. I’m not surprised as she I would be the youngest in the 16-19 age range.

We applied for the full five weeks, boarding option. Is she likely to only be considered for this on the waitlist, or would she potentially be offered the two or three week options, with or without boarding?

Why not email and let them know you’d like to be considered for any week?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OiDancingBoy said:

For anyone who was accepted, Congratulations! Did RBS set a deadline to accept? Just curious as a waitlister here when I can expect the earliest notification of a potential spot.  Based on comments previously posted here, it seems that waitlisters that do get in wait a long time to receive news of a spot for their child. Is that a safe assumption? Thank you!

We have a Yes and have to accept by 15 March. 

Have had an offer off the waitlist for a different child and it didn’t come until early June maybe? So it can be quite late, yes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OiDancingBoy said:

The dedline for submitting the forms is the 15th of March

Edited by Papagena79
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OiDancingBoy said:

My DD has come off the waitlist for the past two years

1st time was early June, 2nd time was early April

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BalletPapa2000 said:

Ooh, question here! Just wondering is there an order of the waitlist as well, or will they be selected randomly of places came up? First time applying - my son is 15!

I think this is inside knowledge only. Pretty certain though that if someone from week 1 cancels, they would pick from the others waiting for week one.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Àurea mom said:

waiting list for us too. First year that my daughter applies to RBS, 9 years old, from Spain. We have little hope anyway🥲

There’s more movement than you think, but as others have said it might be June before you would hear. 

2 hours ago, BalletPapa2000 said:

Ooh, question here! Just wondering is there an order of the waitlist as well, or will they be selected randomly of places came up? First time applying - my son is 15!

Dd got WL summer school at 10! Loved every minute!

Couple years later applied again and got wait list! Phoned to ask what chances were and was told - they try and match up the children age wise, etc in the rooms so if one drops out then they have to get the same match again! So no, it’s not just next on list! All sounded very complicated to me 🤣

• Like 1

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Dd got WL summer school at 10! Loved every minute!

Couple years later applied again and got wait list! Phoned to ask what chances were and was told - they try and match up the children age wise, etc in the rooms so if one drops out then they have to get the same match again! So no, it’s not just next on list! All sounded very complicated to me 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthernLight said:

Waitlist for us too.  Will try for Spring next year, didn't even think to do that, but it's our first time that she's old enough for these intensives so we are slowly learning...

Same here, we did spring and summer at the same time think I may do it separately next time. We got waitlist for both which I'm taking as a positive.

12 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

Thank you will start looking any links would be great. She's 10 so first year she's been able to apply she gets so much out of her JA classes alongside her ballet lessons.

56 minutes ago, BalletMummy123 said:

Is there a short waitlist and a waitlist? My friend said for spring her daughter got short waitlist (she did get offered a place). And I’ve seen someone post of being put on the short waitlist? Our email just said waitlist x

I would imagine they operate their list the same way selective academic schools do, those I know much better. They will replace like for like from the wait list (so a 10 years old for a 10 years old). I would also expect them to have the waitlist in order of preference. It just makes sense and that is how academic schools are run. What worries me is that there seems to be an awful lot of people on WL but this forum might be skewing things as I imagine people who get yes and no might not write back but those on WL are more likely too as we are in limbo looking for answers.

13 hours ago, OiDancingBoy said:

Hi, payment deadline is 15 March. My DS was on waitlist first time we applied, got offer a place in June about 4 weeks before the intensive started, so places do come up but might be at the last minute 😄

• Like 1