RBS Summer Intensive 2024

sunrise81

Hi everyone. I’m new here and also on pins and needles incessantly checking my email. This is my daughter’s first year applying to RBS. We are in the USA (California) and she will be 12 this summer. Fingers crossed to all!

• Like 1

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Sbuchan3 said:

Im assuming it’s all on the photos? Because I felt like we couldn’t give much detail in the questions. Is this correct?

That is my understanding. I’m sure the school knows what they are looking for in the photos but it’s still hard to imagine how they decide who to accept just based on this!

I am massively regretting not getting pro photos done for DD. I feel I’ve been sucked into this whole “no professional photos are needed” rhetoric, when actually a good photographer really knows what and how to take photos so much better than me with an old iphone! 

Be good to know if anyone (especially older girls) has been accepted with home done photos when they are up against so many others? 🤷🏻‍♀️

My DD got a place on the spring intensive and waitlist for summer when she was in year 10 - we took the photos at home on my iPhone. The next year we had pro photos done for auditions so used them to apply for the summer intensive - she got waitlist again! I think for intensives, as long as poses are correct, the picture quality doesn’t have to be perfect. 

Edited by margarite

I feel like I regret not taking my time with the application because I feel like I left out information but actually when I think about it I don’t think much was needed! And yes, professional photos. Just so I don’t feel bad because I took the photos 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

I saw a post on a prior thread of someone getting in with iPhone photos taken in their living room, so I don’t really think it matters! What they are looking for I think goes beyond the quality of the photos, so don’t stress. We had professional photos done at the last minute but they are horrible and were done very rushed. My daughter looks mad in them and they don’t show her personally or skill whatsoever. So not holding out hope either.

I've never got dd professional photos and just take them myself! She manages to get accepted on to a variety of intensives. She seems to know if the position is correct.

The form was also very simple. Just who they are, where they are from, and how long dancing tbh.

She will have professional ones next year though as its upper school audition time.

Previous years her teacher took the pictures. She always had waitlist. Now another student at her school took the pictures and with those she got into ybs spring. (I used the same ones for the RBS summer application.) So I don't think it matters if they are professional or not. 

Fingers crossed for all of you! Let's hope for positive news soon!!

Edited by BarbaraH

Don’t worry too much about photos or what you put on the form. It’s hard to guess what they look for and it’s probably pointless doing so.  Being their own associate doesn’t seem to give you any advantage either. My DD applied last year purely for fun and to see what happens and not expecting anything. She hates having photos taken so her photos were a mish mash of ones taken hurriedly after class at different times (using a phone and she was wearing different leotards!) so they weren’t even from the same day. I think this was also the form that asks how many hours you dance a week and which genres. In any case at the time she was only doing one ballet class within the week. So her total hours a week that we put on the form must have been very pitiful compared to others especially  those who are in full time vocational school. By some miracle she was offered a place and not even from the waitlist. The week she went she was one of less than a handful from the U.K., the rest were international. To this day, we still don’t know how such a miracle happened, and it truly was given what was on her form and her photos. 

• Like 2

I would love to see the pictures of those who are accepted!

Also I wonder if anyone has thought about emailing RBS to ask for an update as to when to expect results now that we are just beyond four weeks? 

• Like 1

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

We aim to send out Summer Intensive 2024 results via email before mid-February. We thank you for your patience.

Hope this helps. If you require any further information, do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards,

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, NorthernLight said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

We aim to send out Summer Intensive 2024 results via email before mid-February. We thank you for your patience.

Hope this helps. If you require any further information, do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards,

Thanks for that, maybe next week then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ballerinamom said:

I had in my head Feb 5, but clearly that has come and gone.  I’m still hoping this week as we have decisions to make. Saw somewhere else that due to large number of applications that it might take a bit longer. 

They also said the same last year