RBS Summer Intensive 2024

sunrise81

My daughter has only done the RBS Spring course but found it friendly, enjoyable and not as competitive as other some school’s intensives (she left one of these after a day as made the mistake of attending a course held between prelims and finals for the school (not RBS) and couldn’t cope with the competitive barging to be ‘seen’. Also the blatant favouritism. She was in year 10 at the time so that school was quickly crossed off her list for the following year’’s applications 🤣) Never attended  RBS Summer as she’s always been waitlisted. Not applying this year as too expensive 😢

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think intensives that are NOT aligned to a school perhaps a better option as the competitiveness perhaps a little reduced? Although it’s always there let’s face it in some form or other in this game!! YBSS years back had the while ‘this is the Royal barre’ thing going on which was rather intimidating to non RBS kids but at least it wasn’t seen as an audition for any school place. Malvern I think a happy balance between great training & happy & friendly downtime! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

I actually think intensives that are NOT aligned to a school perhaps a better option as the competitiveness perhaps a little reduced? Although it’s always there let’s face it in some form or other in this game!! YBSS years back had the while ‘this is the Royal barre’ thing going on which was rather intimidating to non RBS kids but at least it wasn’t seen as an audition for any school place. Malvern I think a happy balance between great training & happy & friendly downtime! 

We noticed this too at another intensive recently (not RBS) but I guess it’s natural for them to stick together as they go to the same school (and live together during term time). It is also quite obvious that the focus are students from certain schools even when doing interviews and filming/photography for social media. Again, quite possibly normal but it is quite strange when advertising a summer intensive to focus on the school’s full time students attending their school’s summer intensive but perhaps that is the way marketing goes. 

Like @margarite ‘s DD, my DD found the RBS intensive fine but again this is probably because my DD was really just there for the experience and didn’t want it as an audition as such. But, however laid back and chill she was about the whole thing, she did notice it does have a competitive environment in some of the classes and we reckon this is because she was in a group that had mostly international students, a good number of whom were YAGP finalists, and full time vocational students. She said it was quite interesting to observe as she can tell most if not all treated it as an audition. My DD isn’t full time and doesn’t do a lot of hours of classes, training and all the extras so didn’t really know a lot of the other kids there. She’s not really in the usual circuit. Thankfully she got on really well with a couple of students from the US and so had a good time being away from home and eating lots of food.  She’s experienced it now but as others here have said, there are other SIs that might be more suitable to other DCs. Certainly, of all the SIs my DD attended, it probably won’t be the first one that will come to mind if she were asked to recommend one to others. It’s undeniable that given RBS’s name, I guess it would always be a source of pride to go to their SI but equally, I’m sure DCs can have as much fun and fruitful experience elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Dd has loved the RBS summer intensives and has been a boarder all the times she has gone. She loved it for the social aspect! On watching day I did notice how some of the international students really seemed to be treating it as an audition, as others have pointed out in this thread. Just incredibly switched on, ‘performing’ the barre etc. No surprise that two of them were given a direct entry for next year’s SI. 

it is incredibly expensive and ballet wise I don’t think it’s the most intense one, they make them work much harder in others according to dd

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, it's Sara form Italy. I completed the application for Summer Intensive just yesterday, it's the first time we've tried it, my daughter is 12 y.o.

She is already attending a training here in Italy held by RBS teachers.

Any idea on when the school will respond? 

We are also trying at Opera de Paris, she attendend it last summer and she really enjoyed the experience. Anyone did both and can share an opinion? 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SplitSoul said:

Does anyone know whether getting the Spring Intensive impacts on your chances of getting Summer as well?

There are so many applications for the summer that I think they don't check if someone was accepted to Spring. (But that's simply my thinking.)

• Thanks 1

First year applying this year. Applying from The US but don’t need boarding as we have family in London. Checking daily now, wish they would put us out our misery 😂. My daughter is 13 but 14 soon. Do you think being on the lower age makes it’s harder to get into upper? Wishing I had done proffesional photos now! Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbuchan3 said:

First year applying this year. Applying from The US but don’t need boarding as we have family in London. Checking daily now, wish they would put us out our misery 😂. My daughter is 13 but 14 soon. Do you think being on the lower age makes it’s harder to get into upper? Wishing I had done proffesional photos now! Good luck to everyone!

I wish they would too! Checking emails every 5 mins...