RBS Summer Intensive 2024

sunrise81

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/04/2024 at 23:36, Babyballerinamum said:

Haha. Now I’m analysing the 2 responses. Last year I had “at this time due to the very high volume of applications”. This year I just have “at this time.” I hint of where we are in the waitlist. Or just different wording this year 🤔

anyone got different wording 😂😂😂

We have different wording too than last year. Looking at my DCs email for spring Intensive this year, it was the same wording as the wait list email that we got for this years summer too and she didnt get an offer for spring... she is obviously just a wait list girl 😂🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

I have the same wording 'at this time'. I have seen several people posting on insta about 'short waitlist'. Can anyone shed light on that? I expect the waitlist to be ranked in order of preference according to age and gender but having two waitlist seems a little complicated.

8 hours ago, minnielovesalbert said:

I have the same wording 'at this time'. I have seen several people posting on insta about 'short waitlist'. Can anyone shed light on that? I expect the waitlist to be ranked in order of preference according to age and gender but having two waitlist seems a little complicated.

Does the email actually say “waitlist” and people are assuming its short or does it say “short waitlist”? 😂

It just says waiting list. I know for Associate places they call it a “short waiting list” and I think it genuinely is small. But for intensives, I think it’s just a ranked waiting list. And I don’t know anyone who doesn’t get on the waiting list (unless they get a place!) which means it must be huge 

7 hours ago, Babyballerinamum said:

It just says waiting list. I know for Associate places they call it a “short waiting list” and I think it genuinely is small. But for intensives, I think it’s just a ranked waiting list. And I don’t know anyone who doesn’t get on the waiting list (unless they get a place!) which means it must be huge 

I did wonder. We have only ever had “waiting list”, never “short waiting list” but everyone seems to talk about this so was confused. Good luck to anyone with that offer as its horrible being in limbo not knowing if it will happen

Edited by Adagio123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/04/2024 at 23:07, Babyballerinamum said:

I know quite a few people got an outright no.

Usually if there is movement it's quite last minute as there are international students who can't get visas etc. I seem to remember them.saying there's a cut off point, i.e. if you don't hear from us by x, assume you've not been offered anything. Good luck.

My DD has come off the Waitlist for the past two years

Last year was the end of April and the year before that was middle of June.

YGP finals are on at the moment and they might offer summer scholarships there. So could be movement from around the end of April 🤷‍♀️

On 09/04/2024 at 07:05, Adagio123 said:

I did wonder. We have only ever had “waiting list”, never “short waiting list” but everyone seems to talk about this so was confused. Good luck to anyone with that offer as its horrible being in limbo not knowing if it will happen

This has long been a topic of conversation on this forum; the terminology used! In the past after placing on more RBS waitlists than seems possible (I shudder to recall the amounts of money spent on applications over the years for JA’s/MA’s/SA’s/WL & then US/AA’s plus then Summer & Easter courses….)

We’ve had no’s but then also ‘waitlist’ or ‘short waitlist’ & then the particularly intriguing one was along lines of ‘Directors Select Waitlist’ which sounded the most promising….Nothing came of any of these until got an Adv Assoc offer from one such waitlist after Upper School audition…but that was during Covid so it was a no go. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Did have one yes for an Easter course….so got to live the ‘Royal Dream’ for a few days at least (bit of a damp squib if I’m honest….but at least it’s that box ticked & I enjoyed getting to touch the famous Fonteyn Finger on the bronze statue in the hallway at White Lodge! But there are much more satisfying, enjoyable & progressive courses out there offering better qualify of training & better value for money IMHO…) Good luck to all!

(I reckon the admin might be having fun making up terms for waitlists….but am sure it’s all the same. Sure there may be a pecking order on this but also it will most likely depend on who leaves/declines place & they will offer to same gender/similar age)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

This has long been a topic of conversation on this forum; the terminology used! In the past after placing on more RBS waitlists than seems possible (I shudder to recall the amounts of money spent on applications over the years for JA’s/MA’s/SA’s/WL & then US/AA’s plus then Summer & Easter courses….)

We’ve had no’s but then also ‘waitlist’ or ‘short waitlist’ & then the particularly intriguing one was along lines of ‘Directors Select Waitlist’ which sounded the most promising….Nothing came of any of these until got an Adv Assoc offer from one such waitlist after Upper School audition…but that was during Covid so it was a no go. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Did have one yes for an Easter course….so got to live the ‘Royal Dream’ for a few days at least (bit of a damp squib if I’m honest….but at least it’s that box ticked & I enjoyed getting to touch the famous Fonteyn Finger on the bronze statue in the hallway at White Lodge! But there are much more satisfying, enjoyable & progressive courses out there offering better qualify of training & better value for money IMHO…) Good luck to all!

(I reckon the admin might be having fun making up terms for waitlists….but am sure it’s all the same. Sure there may be a pecking order on this but also it will most likely depend on who leaves/declines place & they will offer to same gender/similar age)

@Peanut68 so interesting you say this, as many people also recommend other associates and intensives over RBS. Do you have any favourites out of the schemes you've taken part in? Thank you :)

We received a WL offer today, but are still waiting for NYB results to come out. And tbh she found (the much cheaper!!) Rambert intensive better than previous RBS intensives.......so will decide once NYB comes out.....hopefully soon!!!

• Like 7

waitlist offer came through for US intensive today. 

Can anyone tell me how long the days are at the US? Shes a day student so wondering what time she'll be likely to finish/start each day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swanwings said:

Can anyone tell me how long the days are at the US? Shes a day student so wondering what time she'll be likely to finish/start each day.

Do you know if that means they have only offered US and not Lower School yet?

2 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

We received a WL offer today, but are still waiting for NYB results to come out. And tbh she found (the much cheaper!!) Rambert intensive better than previous RBS intensives.......so will decide once NYB comes out.....hopefully soon!!!

Are you US or LS?

30 minutes ago, Swanwings said:

Also, does anyone know if they are required to dance over the middle weekend?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, In at the deep end said:

@Peanut68 so interesting you say this, as many people also recommend other associates and intensives over RBS. Do you have any favourites out of the schemes you've taken part in? Thank you :)

Malvern Ballet Seminars (note, now mostly held at Uppingham in Rutland)

Wish had gone to those years earlier! 
YBSS - esp. if you gain a scholarship (anything free is worthwhile in my book 😉

NYB - absolutely go for that… Best performance opportunity!

And maybe some Overseas….I actually wish we’d considered our dancer spreading their wings to overseas earlier….it’s an eye opener seeing the accelerated standards (will also see this in RBS intensives here with all the - often predominantly - international students) & it’s perhaps good for our UK dancers to be out of comfort zone (within reason!) Wish now we’d used as a family holiday plan…. Me by pool whilst they danced 😉

Covid meant the first couple of years I felt they would’ve been old enough to travel alone it didn’t happen….

I do also greatly believe any extra holiday course should be as much about fun as work & also that young folk must take a break during holidays & have done weeks a year with no dance - just regular life & FUN! 

to add…. Just from our experience….have by no means experienced every main school intensive or other known school or individual teacher courses. There’s so much out there & I think important to make it fit around rest of family life/location/budget too.

And don’t feel that just because dancer A does X course, yours must too! There will always be those dancers who do X, Y & Z courses (because they want to/can afford to/ gain scholarships for/misguidedly think they have to dance right through all holidays / parents want to get rid of them every week of holidays perhaps 😂

DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT & what’s gonna be remembered for good reasons years from now!

Good luck! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

That’s great! What age group is that for? 

On 17/04/2024 at 20:58, Peanut68 said:

Malvern Ballet Seminars (note, now mostly held at Uppingham in Rutland)

Wish had gone to those years earlier! 
YBSS - esp. if you gain a scholarship (anything free is worthwhile in my book 😉

NYB - absolutely go for that… Best performance opportunity!

And maybe some Overseas….I actually wish we’d considered our dancer spreading their wings to overseas earlier….it’s an eye opener seeing the accelerated standards (will also see this in RBS intensives here with all the - often predominantly - international students) & it’s perhaps good for our UK dancers to be out of comfort zone (within reason!) Wish now we’d used as a family holiday plan…. Me by pool whilst they danced 😉

Covid meant the first couple of years I felt they would’ve been old enough to travel alone it didn’t happen….

I do also greatly believe any extra holiday course should be as much about fun as work & also that young folk must take a break during holidays & have done weeks a year with no dance - just regular life & FUN! 

to add…. Just from our experience….have by no means experienced every main school intensive or other known school or individual teacher courses. There’s so much out there & I think important to make it fit around rest of family life/location/budget too.

And don’t feel that just because dancer A does X course, yours must too! There will always be those dancers who do X, Y & Z courses (because they want to/can afford to/ gain scholarships for/misguidedly think they have to dance right through all holidays / parents want to get rid of them every week of holidays perhaps 😂

DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT & what’s gonna be remembered for good reasons years from now!

Good luck! 

If perf opp is sought, don't forget the English youth ballet. They are a cracking experience for stage and the kids have a wonderful time

• Like 1

Hello! My DS was offered a wait list spot for week 3-4 boys 14-15 training, but we will have to decline because he accepted a spot at School of American Ballet. I wanted to share so people can get information that there is movement on the wait list. Good luck everyone!

• Like 3