RBS Summer Intensive 2024

sunrise81

Son got a yes.  We are so happy for him.  For those who are wondering about the waitlist, YES, people do get spots from the waitlist.  We know because last year my son applied for spring and summer..... both times initially he was placed on the waitlist.  And both times he came off it!  So, there is hope.  (We are from the US)

• Like 1

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, tiger_lilet said:

Son got a yes.  We are so happy for him.  For those who are wondering about the waitlist, YES, people do get spots from the waitlist.  We know because last year my son applied for spring and summer..... both times initially he was placed on the waitlist.  And both times he came off it!  So, there is hope.  (We are from the US)

How long time it took from waitlist to yes to summer?

We are from Israel and need to buy flight months before

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kitri said:

I don’t have specific inside knowledge but from our own experience and that of other posters, it could be any day from now until an unspecified date in June.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kitri said:

I agree about flights!  You can make a personal cut off date in your mind as to when it would be not possible anymore due to flights/costs.

For summer last year, I think we got news of being on the waitlist around March?  Whatever the date was when all the emails went out, I don't quite remember.  But beginning of March sounds right... then we got a yes at the very end of April or it may have been the first week of May. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ruby Foo said:

https://stagedansepontlabbe.com/inscriptions/

Hopefully this works.

It’s the loveliest spot in Brittany with the most gorgeous beaches.

And here is the link to the RAD Italian summer school. Very high standard but not much English spoken.

https://it.royalacademyofdance.org/studiare-danza/scuola-estiva-rad/scuola-estiva-rad-2024/

Congratulations to everyone who got a place and waitlisted!

My daughter who's a JA (first year of doing it, got in first time totally un-prepped, both her and I were clueless about the process) unfortunately didn't get a place nor got waitlisted for the Summer Intensive. I applied for the non-residential week.

Any advice on how to improve things for next year's application if we apply please?

Admittedly the photos weren't great, but I'm worried that perhaps she's not doing well in class (she's shy). 

4 hours ago, PowderPink said:

My daughter who's a JA (first year of doing it, got in first time totally un-prepped, both her and I were clueless about the process) unfortunately didn't get a place nor got waitlisted for the Summer Intensive. I applied for the non-residential week.

Any advice on how to improve things for next year's application if we apply please?

Admittedly the photos weren't great, but I'm worried that perhaps she's not doing well in class (she's shy). 

A no this time doesn’t mean it won’t be yes next time. It’s disappointing but you’re competing with 100’s of applicants across the world and a no doesn’t mean anything in terms of a career in dance. There are posters on this forum who have had no’s and waitlist and then a yes! In the younger year’s,  physical attributes will count for a lot. You can’t change your offsprings physicality. What you can do is to make sure you highlight the positive aspects in your photos. It’s nothing to do with having stunning professional photos but more about really showing off the positive aspects of your physical attributes. No one has everything! As long as the subject of the photo is in focus and clearly visible then the quality of the photograph is pretty irrelevant. (This may be a little different if you are going for upper school SI when you would expect the whole package to look as good as possible.)

What you want to jump out from the photo is all the attributes that one thinks of as being positive for ballet. I am happy for anyone to pm me if they want advice. I don’t pretend to know what RBS look for but clearly there are some obvious plusses in general terms. The positions are chosen specifically because it’s easy to see from studying them how much physical potential a student has and (in this case) how well suited they might be. If you receive a no, it doesn’t  mean you don’t have the physical potential but that maybe someone else has slightly more at that particular moment or that they just haven’t had a chance to see someone else before. Experience will count for a lot,

together with physical suitability the older you get. If you are not strong enough or experienced enough to cope at a certain level then the place could be wasted. There’s a whole lot that a dance professional can see from a photo ( and a lot they can’t) so it’s worth taking a lot of time and care with the photos. 
Always take your photos kneeling down to help with the proportions- helps to stop shortening of the legs.

Don’t wait till the last minute to do your pics. You may need to do several sessions to get the right ones.

Send your pics to your teacher or a professional to pick out the best ones.

Why not speak to your JA teacher to ask how to improve confidence? Doing other summer schools will help especially if they’re having fun and making friends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Ruby Foo said:

A no this time doesn’t mean it won’t be yes next time. It’s disappointing but you’re competing with 100’s of applicants across the world and a no doesn’t mean anything in terms of a career in dance. There are posters on this forum who have had no’s and waitlist and then a yes! In the younger year’s,  physical attributes will count for a lot. You can’t change your offsprings physicality. What you can do is to make sure you highlight the positive aspects in your photos. It’s nothing to do with having stunning professional photos but more about really showing off the positive aspects of your physical attributes. No one has everything! As long as the subject of the photo is in focus and clearly visible then the quality of the photograph is pretty irrelevant. (This may be a little different if you are going for upper school SI when you would expect the whole package to look as good as possible.)

What you want to jump out from the photo is all the attributes that one thinks of as being positive for ballet. I am happy for anyone to pm me if they want advice. I don’t pretend to know what RBS look for but clearly there are some obvious plusses in general terms. The positions are chosen specifically because it’s easy to see from studying them how much physical potential a student has and (in this case) how well suited they might be. If you receive a no, it doesn’t  mean you don’t have the physical potential but that maybe someone else has slightly more at that particular moment or that they just haven’t had a chance to see someone else before. Experience will count for a lot,

together with physical suitability the older you get. If you are not strong enough or experienced enough to cope at a certain level then the place could be wasted. There’s a whole lot that a dance professional can see from a photo ( and a lot they can’t) so it’s worth taking a lot of time and care with the photos. 
Always take your photos kneeling down to help with the proportions- helps to stop shortening of the legs.

Don’t wait till the last minute to do your pics. You may need to do several sessions to get the right ones.

Send your pics to your teacher or a professional to pick out the best ones.

Why not speak to your JA teacher to ask how to improve confidence? Doing other summer schools will help especially if they’re having fun and making friends. 

Thank you so much for your kind, balanced and detailed response! Really appreciate it!

7 hours ago, PowderPink said:

Hi Powder Pink. I've heard that the intensive photos aren't linked to JAs etc and so I wouldn't read into it too much (or think she didn't get in because she isn't doing well in class). Some great advice already from Ruby Foo 👏. We've never done professional photos so i wouldnt worry about that....but the poses aren't easy to do....my dd can do them now she is in year 9 but back in year 6 she struggled. Perhaps your teacher could help with them for next time? The arabesque is a tricky one for younger dancers! X 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Hi Powder Pink. I've heard that the intensive photos aren't linked to JAs etc and so I wouldn't read into it too much (or think she didn't get in because she isn't doing well in class). Some great advice already from Ruby Foo 👏. We've never done professional photos so i wouldnt worry about that....but the poses aren't easy to do....my dd can do them now she is in year 9 but back in year 6 she struggled. Perhaps your teacher could help with them for next time? The arabesque is a tricky one for younger dancers! X 

Thank you so much! Really kind and helpful advice!

Yes, same at Upper School. Presentation on the last day. If your dancer stays for the full 5 weeks, there are two opportunities for presentations, if I remember correctly. One at the end of the first 2-3 weeks, and another at the end of the 5 weeks, as technically your dancer will cross over two sessions.

Edited by StillSewingShoes
  • Like 2

On 10/02/2024 at 12:11, Siobhan89 said:

I’ve been doing the same! Anyone else apply for Summer the same time as Spring? Feels like an age ago 😅 we had a yes for Spring, but not holding out for Summer we’ve only ever had waitlist.

The Decruz & Fraiz intensive looks great, so we may try for that.

My DD was also offered wait list and we are going to attend the Decruz & Fraiz summer intensive.  Thank you.😁    

Hello everyone, it’s been really helpful reading everyone’s messages, thank you to all who have contributed :) We are in Australia, my DD has just turned 14 and we have WL. I’m wondering firstly, if others have heard of many waitlist places becoming available at this kind of age? Or maybe more common with the younger ages? Also, I’m wondering, can anyone recall the questions we were asked on the application? (I’ve done a few applications the last few weeks and it’s all a blur :)) I know that they specifically say that auditions don’t come from SI, but I’ve wondered: was there a question asking if we were applying for full-time at RBS? We weren’t, so I would have said no. But now my DD is keen. I guess I’ve just wondered if it might increase chances of an SI place if you say you want to do full-time RBS? Or maybe they didn’t even ask that and that would put my mind at ease :) 

16 minutes ago, Hope75 said:

Hello everyone, it’s been really helpful reading everyone’s messages, thank you to all who have contributed :) We are in Australia, my DD has just turned 14 and we have WL. I’m wondering firstly, if others have heard of many waitlist places becoming available at this kind of age? Or maybe more common with the younger ages? Also, I’m wondering, can anyone recall the questions we were asked on the application? (I’ve done a few applications the last few weeks and it’s all a blur :)) I know that they specifically say that auditions don’t come from SI, but I’ve wondered: was there a question asking if we were applying for full-time at RBS? We weren’t, so I would have said no. But now my DD is keen. I guess I’ve just wondered if it might increase chances of an SI place if you say you want to do full-time RBS? Or maybe they didn’t even ask that and that would put my mind at ease :) 

They used to ask if you want to be considered for full time training, but they don’t anymore. I would see the SI and the full time training as totally separate. Children who have gone to every SI, even been given direct entry, have then not been given a place at the school. Quite a disappointment if you thought you were well liked! 

If your daughter wants to train at the school I would go through the traditional method, or there is always YAGP. They do offer places from there or private auditions. 

It’s a fun intensive but rarely does anything come from it. It’s not like the intensives in the US that audition you at the same time. 

As to waitlist it seems that you can be offered a place very last minute from reading the comments. Which might be difficult coming all the way from Australia! If I were you I would put it on the back burner and look at other intensives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ballet Saga said:

They used to ask if you want to be considered for full time training, but they don’t anymore. I would see the SI and the full time training as totally separate. Children who have gone to every SI, even been given direct entry, have then not been given a place at the school. Quite a disappointment if you thought you were well liked! 

If your daughter wants to train at the school I would go through the traditional method, or there is always YAGP. They do offer places from there or private auditions. 

It’s a fun intensive but rarely does anything come from it. It’s not like the intensives in the US that audition you at the same time. 

As to waitlist it seems that you can be offered a place very last minute from reading the comments. Which might be difficult coming all the way from Australia! If I were you I would put it on the back burner and look at other intensives. 

Thank you so much for your response :) We are coming over for another intensive anyway, so we will hope a place comes available, but at this age I wonder if perhaps not many do…

1 hour ago, Hope75 said:

Thank you so much for your response :) We are coming over for another intensive anyway, so we will hope a place comes available, but at this age I wonder if perhaps not many do…

I’m not sure but if you’re over here anyway it’s worth staying on the list. Good luck, I hope she gets a place.