DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

17th November is now Sold Out again. 

I was very disappointed to see what I perceive as negative comments to my earlier post on ticket availability. 

I put this information up in good faith with the aim of trying to be helpful to anyone who was looking, as I have been for the past week. 

Perhaps, I did help someone out there - who knows. 

The reaction I received including one comment from a Moderator, will make me think twice in future. 

@JennyTaylor I was very grateful for the posts, thanks to you and @alison, I snatched a ticket. I  wanted to see Clarke really, so thought, what the heck! 😳 I may not get an opportunity again as with injuries to dancers, you just never can predict who you’ll be able to see in a particular ballet. Mr Linnzi will not quite feel the same way! 🤣

I too did not think the comments were anything other than bemoaning the ROH’s pricing policy which means a lot of folks are not able to attend, though they would like to 😊

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Linnzi5 said:

I have never used Friday Rush - it sounds stressful! 

It certainly does - as if general booking wasn't stressful enough already!

I always get anxiety on booking days, perhaps less so recently though as due to ticket price increases, I am booking for far less performances - a bit less website navigation and clicking, so a bit less stress I suppose.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

It certainly does - as if general booking wasn't stressful enough already!

I always get anxiety on booking days, perhaps less so recently though as due to ticket price increases, I am booking for far less performances - a bit less website navigation and clicking, so a bit less stress I suppose.

I have never had a booking issue yet, other than I can never get, via the website, insight RB in rehearsal tickets as they are sold out before I get access to booking. That is disappointing though I have been lucky enough to be gifted some tickets - for which I am extremely grateful and extremely happy about! 😊

I am so disappointed with the ticket prices. I can’t understand a 20% increase in about two years. My salary has not increased that much - I wish! I will definitely have to reduce my Swan Lake purchases - though the casting choices has helped with that! 

Edited by Linnzi5

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Great value, but not a lot of leg room or seat space if you’re tall though 

Tbh, I’ve sat in a lot of places, including the ROH, that are more cramped, and the front row, of course, has masses of leg room. Obviously it helps if you’re not tall and I’m not. 

Just checking the tube for tomorrow, and there are long-planned total or part closures on a few lines.  They will open again at 3pm, so if you are coming to the matinee please check your line and try to organise alternative travel.  Of course, with the demo and the Lord Mayor's Show and the Cenotaph anyone trying to get around by road might also have problems.  Why does everything have to happen at once?  Anyway, the affected lines are:

Circle

District

Hammersmith & City

Jubilee

London Overground

Metropolitan

The Elizabeth Line will have part closures on Sunday 12th but that won't affect the ballet.  

Please check on the Transport for London (TfL) website before leaving home just to ensure nothing has changed.  Might be an idea to give your journey extra time.   Good luck everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know from experience in previous years whether the City area is likely to get back to normal fairly quickly once roads open following the Lord Mayor's Show or whether it takes a long time for crowds to disperse? According to the website roads should re-open at 4-5pm. I'm due to be getting a train that arrives at Liverpool Street at 5.45pm. So I'm wondering if walking to the ROH as I normally do will be possible or if I'd be fighting my way through big crowds the whole way? (Fortunately the other events look to be some distance from my route so I'm hoping they won't be a problem.)

Assuming we all make it all right, I would love to see any forum members who would like to say hello.  I am doing the double so will be sitting in the usual place by the small staircase that goes from the Floral Hall down into the old part of the house.  As you look at the stairs in the hall, we are usually on a long table to the left.  

Hope to see some of you...do come and say hello!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

@alison I don't know what a BSOD is but it doesn't sound good. I think if my computer declined to work just at the time of Friday rush then it'd find itself being thrown out of the nearest window!

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

At one time a frustratingly regular state of affairs with a PC. Windows would crash suddenly and a blue screen with some white text would appear, telling you of a catastrophic failure of the system. Might take as many as a dozen reboots to make things work again.

I've not seen one in person for over ten years (thank goodness), but @alison I do feel your pain!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone know from experience in previous years whether the City area is likely to get back to normal fairly quickly once roads open following the Lord Mayor's Show or whether it takes a long time for crowds to disperse? According to the website roads should re-open at 4-5pm. I'm due to be getting a train that arrives at Liverpool Street at 5.45pm. So I'm wondering if walking to the ROH as I normally do will be possible or if I'd be fighting my way through big crowds the whole way? (Fortunately the other events look to be some distance from my route so I'm hoping they won't be a problem.)

LMS crowds should be well gone by then

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alison said:

Apparently there's something else on the Saturday.

Yes but small scale I think.

Latest on Saturday's march is here. Get into London as early as you can and as near the ROH as possible is my advice!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/pro-palestine-march-will-be-one-of-uks-biggest-ever-protests-organisers-predict

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Yes but small scale I think.

Latest on Saturday's march is here. Get into London as early as you can and as near the ROH as possible is my advice!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/pro-palestine-march-will-be-one-of-uks-biggest-ever-protests-organisers-predict

So from an ROH point of view, this looks like the crucial bit: 'People are being asked to assemble at about midday at Park Lane before starting the march at 12.45pm. The route goes past Grosvenor Place and Victoria, then over Vauxhall Road and on to Nine Elms and past the US embassy. Marchers will be asked by organisers to disperse at 4pm, with the police having put a 5pm deadline on when the march must end.' I'm hoping that means that the Covent Garden area itself should be OK (but will definitely avoid Victoria including the station).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

LMS crowds should be well gone by then

Thank you.

20 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Marchers will be asked by organisers to disperse at 4pm, with the police having put a 5pm deadline on when the march must end.' I'm hoping that means that the Covent Garden area itself should be OK (but will definitely avoid Victoria including the station).

Now as long as I don't bump into masses of demonstrators dispersing in the direction of Liverpool Street....!

• Like 1

Update with route map for the peace march, which will not be anywhere near the Cenotaph.  Any group going to 'protect' the Cenotaph may feel a little lonely.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/10/counterprotest-groups-plan-to-confront-pro-palestine-marchers-say-met-police

I suspect police will be kettling any group which is seeking confrontation and trouble.

I don’t think it would have been politically wise at this time to have a Russian dancer performing for the King and Queen, despite Vadim Muntagirov having acquired British citizenship (in addition to his Russian) and having lived, trained and worked in the UK for 15 years. 

Both Mayara and Marianela completed only one year of training at the RB school.  Therefore neither are ‘British trained’.  I guess we can say they ‘finished their training here’.  Undoubtedly both will have acquired more of the British style in their years in the company. 

48 minutes ago, FionaM said:

I don’t think it would have been politically wise at this time to have a Russian dancer performing for the King and Queen, despite Vadim Muntagirov having acquired British citizenship (in addition to his Russian) and having lived, trained and worked in the UK for 15 years. 

Both Mayara and Marianela completed only one year of training at the RB school.  Therefore neither are ‘British trained’.  I guess we can say they ‘finished their training here’.  Undoubtedly both will have acquired more of the British style in their years in the company. 

For clarification, i included the ongoing professional training received on a daily basis as part of the Royal Ballet (and indeed BRB & ENB) for many years when considering if a dancer has been British trained, not just time spent at the RB school. 

7 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

II am so disappointed with the ticket prices. I can’t understand a 20% increase in about two years.  

Did you leave a zero off the amount, Linnzi5?

5 hours ago, Sophoife said:

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

At one time a frustratingly regular state of affairs with a PC. Windows would crash suddenly and a blue screen with some white text would appear, telling you of a catastrophic failure of the system. Might take as many as a dozen reboots to make things work again.

I've not seen one in person for over ten years (thank goodness), but @alison I do feel your pain!

Haven't you?  They usually look different now (a paler blue, with "Oops, something's gone wrong" or some such), but this was a good old-fashioned "DOS-based" one :( 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alison said:

Haven't you?  They usually look different now (a paler blue, with "Oops, something's gone wrong" or some such), but this was a good old-fashioned "DOS-based" one :( 

They do? Nope, never seen something like that, only the good old fashioned one, and no, not for ten years or more. Now of course I'll have one once a week 🤣

9 hours ago, alison said:

Did you leave a zero off the amount, Linnzi5?

More than likely! 🤣

17 minutes ago, ellyb said:

Double debut of Lukas Braendsrod and Annette Buvoli as Espada and Mercedes. Excited for this one, loved Buvoli's Queen of the Dryads - luckily, I should catch them on their next go. 

I watched them at the insight rehearsal - I'll be interested to see their polished performances. I agree that Buvoli's Queen of the Dryads was very elegant - it looks such a difficult solo! 

• Like 2

Hi all,

I am very excited to come to the Opera House today; I haven't been able to come since Cinderella...I have a v long return journey from Northumberland. 

To let people know that I have just returned a SCS place to the box office...and bought a Stalls ticket. Oh gosh ! 

Perhaps someone can get it. 

It will be v nice to come and say hello to Ballet Co Forum folks. 😀  Janet 🖐💕

• Like 11

3 hours ago, ellyb said:

Double debut of Lukas Braendsrod and Annette Buvoli as Espada and Mercedes. Excited for this one, loved Buvoli's Queen of the Dryads - luckily, I should catch them on their next go. 

Is this Reece Clarke’s debut as Basilio at the ROH? 
And is it Sumina Sasaki’s debut as the Queen of the Dryads?

Edited by PeterS
Sp