Guest oncnp

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this….a friend had  already “What’s Apped” me yesterday with this quote! Love this bit of black humour from Carlos and yes as a Silver Swan dancer these days know the feeling albeit at a lower level lol!! 
Perhaps this comment would be good in the Doing Dance thread where older amateur dancers are doing exams and classes etc! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oncnp said:

I have to do it in a way that I can still walk off, and you don’t have to call an ambulance.

Carlos Acosta: ‘At 50, I have to dance in a way that I can still walk off, and not call an ambulance’ | Carlos Acosta | The Guardian

Of course this feature was also included in Today's links:

The Observer always used to publish the dance articles by 8am on a Sunday but they are rarely that early now.

It's always worth looking at the links forum - you never know what you may find out about companies both in this country and world wide.

• Like 4

@Jan McNulty the links is a great resource!  I use it like a library

It’s also good to have relevant links inside a conversation thread to enable that discussion.

This one is an excellent example as this discussion thread is already existing and the article contains information on what Carlos might or might not dance.  And might influence booking decisions.  Although the shows are close to sold out.  

• Like 3

I saw the article in Links and had a chuckle at the title 😄. Am still crossing my fingers that the rail union pay talks will be successful and the 29 July strike called off as I can’t go on a different date (moot point anyway as all tickets were sold out when I last checked).

I think ROH needs to put Carlos on the Board as chair or something ....how his shows have all managed to sell out (both Black Sabbath and CA50) with minimal programme details (Ok we know it’s Black Sabbath tunes and themes but the music is being orchestrated, the choreography is not by a choreographer familiar to BRB fans so it’s still a bit mysterious) and even less casting detail (apart from knowing Carlos will appear in CA50) is quite some feat! And CA50 has not even had half as much publicity as the Black Sabbath shows. However he does it, I’m sure every theatre boss would love Carlos to wave his magic wand over all their shows! 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

Apollo is challenging enough (especially the solo and the pas de deux with Terpsichore) at 25 or 35 let alone older! I wonder if he means it’s the pas de quatre with the 3 muses only, or the pas de deux, or the whole thing.....

I'm hoping it'll be the whole thing. I've never seen it, as I was unable to attend the RB's 2021 performances. Since the ROH's website has the running time as 2h50 there would certainly be plenty of time to perform it complete & it feels like quite a long time to fill if only short exerpts of pieces are performed. (I was in awe reading a review of a Neumeier gala the other day that apparently lasted 5 hours!)

I'm sure I heard somewhere that he was dancing the Apollo PDD with Marianela, who incidentally has just posted a picture on her Instagram rehearsing what looks to me like the Manon Bedroom PDD with Carlos so we could be seeing that as well? 

• Like 1

I can’t find a dedicated thread so am starting one as information is starting to be posted on social media.

from BRB’s Instagram today:

BRB dancers, Brandon Lawrence, Céline Gittens, Javier Rojas, Lucy Waine and Yaoqian Shang will perform in this gala to celebrate with Carlos Acosta in this milestone for our legendary director.

• Like 4

Apollo job share? Acosta does as much as he can & then Lawrence takes over when Acosta gets too tired? 😉

Edited by Dawnstar
Trying to have an emoticon rather than an emoji at the end but it keeps on automatically changing when I post.
  • Like 4

Any remaining appearances by Brandon Lawrence in Britain would be especially welcome before he disappears to Zurich.....I don’t mind what he and Carlos dance as long as I can get there. (Judging by today’s disasters on public transport, it looks like it's not going to be possible for me to attend unless the rail strike on 29/7 is called off.)  It would be lovely to see Gittens, Shang, Waine and Rojas too. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately just yesterday I’ve had to return my Wednesday ticket for this to the box office for various reasons but noticed it was re sold almost within the hour…..And this was before the cancellation of the tube strike was announced!!  So good news for Carlos! It’s now still showing “sold out” 
Im sorry to be missing Brandon Lawrence in particular and am sure it will be a lovely evening so looking forward to hearing about it. 

I really hate that when it happens …usually it’s a winter thing with the cold and darkness to add to the misery! 
Am surprised it’s happening now but what a nuisance. 
I do agree that not knowing exactly what’s taking place on Wednesday with only a few days to go is a pain but not my reason for cancelling. 
It does often seem to be like this with gala type performances though. 
I usually only go to galas as either it’s raising money for a charity or it’s a chance to see dancers one wouldn’t normally be able to see. 
But thought this one would be quite jolly! 
I now wished I’d said happy birthday to him whilst standing next to him on the stairs in the Linbury recently….all very splendid in his white suit!! 

It is quite a late finish about 10.20 I believe….well being the first night though probably more like 10.30! 

Carlos Acosta returns to the Main Stage with guest artists from The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Acosta Danza in celebration of his 50th birthday.

RUNNING TIME
The performance will last approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes, including two intervals.
APPROXIMATE RUNNING TIMES:

Act I 
: 25 minutes
Interval
Act II 
: 50 minutes
Interval 
Act III
  • Thanks 2

Well, I think that the whole of Apollo is 35 minutes which doesn't tie in with two 'Acts' of 25 minutes and one of 50 minutes.

The 25/25/50/25/25 breakdown doesn't sit well with me  as the intervals are too long in relation to the danced segments and many tickets are ending up being priced at £1.50 or more per minute of dancing. 

But I guess that the 'proof of the pudding will be in the eating'.

• Like 4

When I last looked the website said 2h50 so that's 20 minutes lopped off since then. I agree that having acts no longer than the intervals is not great. Could they not have 2 acts of 50 mins each, cut an interval, & let us all get home earlier?

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Could they not have 2 acts of 50 mins each, cut an interval, & let us all get home earlier?

It's possibly a matter of Carlos needing to pace himself as well as creating a balanced programme.

In his "......and Friends" shows, Roberto Bolle (now aged 48) noticeably constructs the performance so that, early on, he is mainly the partner or the movement is slow and other dancers provide the fireworks. Towards the end, the tempo of the pieces Bolle is in himself picks up and he exerts himself more. Understandable.

But I am keeping my fingers crossed that what we will see at the ROH this coming week will be more artistically satisfying than Bolle's offerings (even though he usually has stunning RB artists appearing with him).

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp

Still no program but Marianela Nuñez has posted on IG that "This week I will be Carlos Acosta’s Odette again"

34 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Still no program but Marianela Nuñez has posted on IG that "This week I will be Carlos Acosta’s Odette again"

Wow!

I'm really curious if the cast is the same for each performance? (Aside from Carlos himself of course)

Edited by art_enthusiast

On 22/07/2023 at 19:46, Dawnstar said:

When I last looked the website said 2h50 so that's 20 minutes lopped off since then. I agree that having acts no longer than the intervals is not great. Could they not have 2 acts of 50 mins each, cut an interval, & let us all get home earlier?

But then they would lose a lot of money from the sale of alcohol and food!!

• Like 1

the 2hr 30mins works nicely for me - no mad rush for the train home! I thought I'd seen it was 2h50m originally, and thought I was mistaken. The original length would have been ok, IF everything ran on time (trainwise), but the slightly shorter running time is just right (as you don't want it TOO short, for obvious reasons)