News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

19 minutes ago, Angela said:

Principals/Soloists who are out: Daniil Simkin, Alejandro Virelles, Marian Walter, Dino Tamazlacaru, Iana Balova, Arshak Ghalumyan, Evelina Godunova, Olaf Kollmannsperger, Johnny McMillan, Aya Okumura, Krasina Pavlova, Federico Spallitta.

Gosh, is that a big turnover of dancers at the higher levels Angela?

• Like 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of them like Marian Walter and Dinu (not Dino, I'm so sorry!) Tamazlacaru had only guest contracts in the last seasons, Simkin is a huge surprise, and some may have feared that the style is turning too modern for them and left on their own will. I know that many of Heinz Spoerli's dancers at Zurich fled to other companies when Spuck came to Zurich in 2012 because they feared they would not like his style. For the Berlin soloists like Ghalumyan, I just don't know if some of them may have reached the age to retire or if Spuck fired them. Maybe Sabine knows more?

Spucks brings from Zurich: Jan Casier, Matthew Knight, Rafaelle Queiroz, Michelle Willems, Cohen Aitchison-Dugas, Mark Geilings, Meiri Maeda, Dominik White Slavkovský, Loïck Pireaux, Emma Antrobus, Leroy Mokgatle, Jessica Beardsell, Anthony Tette, Désirée Guler, Chloe Capulong. Wow.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Hmm, so I wonder who else, apart from Brandon Lawrence, is joining Zurich?

Mlindi Kulashe and Sean Bates that I know of (Mlindi is ex-NB and was a Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre, Sean Bates is with NB till the end of this season.  It looks as though Mlindi is already in Zurich.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

Ummmm....let's wait for official news.

They have three children, I'm not sure if a freelance career will pay as well as a principal contract at Berlin. Or will Simkin lure her away? She certainly is not Spuck's favorite type of ballerina.

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Some of them like Marian Walter and Dinu (not Dino, I'm so sorry!) Tamazlacaru had only guest contracts in the last seasons, Simkin is a huge surprise, and some may have feared that the style is turning too modern for them and left on their own will. I know that many of Heinz Spoerli's dancers at Zurich fled to other companies when Spuck came to Zurich in 2012 because they feared they would not like his style. For the Berlin soloists like Ghalumyan, I just don't know if some of them may have reached the age to retire or if Spuck fired them. Maybe Sabine knows more?

Spucks brings from Zurich: Jan Casier, Matthew Knight, Rafaelle Queiroz, Michelle Willems, Cohen Aitchison-Dugas, Mark Geilings, Meiri Maeda, Dominik White Slavkovský, Loïck Pireaux, Emma Antrobus, Leroy Mokgatle, Jessica Beardsell, Anthony Tette, Désirée Guler, Chloe Capulong. Wow.

And these dancers already joined this season from Zurich:

G. Duchevet

A. Degroeve

W. Hoeyberghs

T. Just

G. Susman

D. Thorne

• Thanks 1

Wow this seems huge turnover for this company.

Aya Okumura is already soloist at Czech National Ballet, since January .

hopefully some others from Berlin will go to Zurich 😉

Edited by FionaE
Add last line

I would especially love to watch " Bovary" and a double bill of Marcos Morau and Crystal Pite.

I saw " Carmen" of Marcos Morau at RDB theatre for some years ago, and it was an outstanding performance - to start with, I couldn't decide if I hated it or loved it, but in the end I was absolutely won by it! I remember it was clear that the dancers enjoyed the performance - as well as the spectators! Definitely crazy (IMHO) but fascinating!

I'm glad Iana Salenko stays, she's a huge magnet for my visits to Berlin, but a pity Krasina Pavlova and Arshak Galymyan will have to go as well as other very good dancers - I imagine, it often happens when a new leader joins the company.

• Like 1

Hamburg has a new ballet company: Edvin Revazov, Principal Dancer with John Neumeier’s Hamburg Ballet and Choreographic Director of the new Hamburger Kammerballett (Hamburg Chamber Ballet) provides a a new artistic home to refugees from Ukraine.

From April 14th to 16th, 2023, the newly founded dance company will guest for five performances in the First Stage Theater at Hamburg-Altona. Since last summer, the ensemble's seven Ukrainian dancers have been dancing and rehearsing under the choreographic direction of Edvin Revazov. The Hamburger Kammerballett is a project close to Revazov's heart and that of his business partner Isabelle Rohlfs. Their vision is to give dancers who have fled from Ukraine a new artistic home and thus enable professional and social integration in Germany. In autumn 2022, they had already performed at a small venue at Baden-Baden, included in Neumeier’s annual Ballet Festival there.

The triple bill WHITE NOISE has three different parts. The first part BRITTEN-TANZ was created in cooperation with the Opera Estate Festival in Bassano del Grappa and shows the virtuosity of classical ballet.

WHITE NOISE, the second part of the evening, is a new choreography by Edvin Revazov, the music was composed by Australian-Danish composer Alexander McKenzie. Inspired by the physical phenomenon of "white noise", the dancers of the Hamburger Kammerballett translate the concept of light and sound spectra to humanity. The dancers will be accompanied by live musicians from the Hamburg University of Music and Performing Arts.

The third part is John Neumeier's ballet SPRING AND FALL to music by Antonín Dvořák, in which guest dancers from the Ukrainian National Ballet Kyiv will perform with the dancers of the Hamburg Chamber Ballet.

The dancers are Aleksandr Solovei, Anastasiia Ilnytska, Anna Solovei, Ihor Khomyshchak, Kateryna Andrenko, Viktoriia Miroshyna, Nikita Hodyna.

https://www.hamburger-kammerballett.de/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Woah. I'm already a Fan of the new (marketing) team at Staatsballett Berlin. A brochure, consisting of 148 pages about the new season and the people involved and all workshops and work with Kids, all events for friends circle etc in ONE brochure... FINALLY. I am excited. 

I assume it's a concession to the new AD Spuck, because stuff like this never happened before. (For example, I fought like mad for years to get at least a mentioning of the Staatsballett Website in the Staatsoper House brochure. And I'm just an audience member/friend. I know how difficult it was for Ballet mgmt because the dancers always complained and were unhappy about the ignorance.)

So at least YAY for this Marketing accomplishment!!

Download here, brochure is in English and German:

https://issuu.com/staatsballett.berlin/docs/eps51_sbb_sz_publikation_23_24_pdf_digital_issuu_r?fbclid=PAAaaq1opgVfqQ1DO11h8zzDjP5_IcQdrfjrTaoPyKkb4HctRzxE8YqoYrq7M

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

According to reports in Austrian newspapers, Ballet Director Martin Schläpfer will leave Vienna State Ballet in 2025, when his five year contract ends. Opera Director Bogdan Roščić said they will be looking for a new AD from 2025/2026. Schläpfer said, he won't accept a management position or direction any more, which means he will concentrate on choreography. Schläpfer is 63 years old now.

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2023 at 10:15, Estreiiita said:

I'm glad Iana Salenko stays, she's a huge magnet for my visits to Berlin, but a pity Krasina Pavlova and Arshak Galymyan will have to go

At Berlin State Ballet, Arshak Ghalumyan will end his career as a dancer and become choreographer, he already has enough commissions for the next years.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2023 at 13:02, Angela said:

Principals/Soloists who are out: Daniil Simkin, Alejandro Virelles, Marian Walter, Dino Tamazlacaru, Iana Balova, Arshak Ghalumyan, Evelina Godunova, Olaf Kollmannsperger, Johnny McMillan, Aya Okumura, Krasina Pavlova, Federico Spallitta.

😮😢😮

On 29/03/2023 at 09:55, Angela said:

Hamburg has a new ballet company: Edvin Revazov, Principal Dancer with John Neumeier’s Hamburg Ballet and Choreographic Director of the new Hamburger Kammerballett (Hamburg Chamber Ballet) provides a a new artistic home to refugees from Ukraine.

From April 14th to 16th, 2023, the newly founded dance company will guest for five performances in the First Stage Theater at Hamburg-Altona. Since last summer, the ensemble's seven Ukrainian dancers have been dancing and rehearsing under the choreographic direction of Edvin Revazov. The Hamburger Kammerballett is a project close to Revazov's heart and that of his business partner Isabelle Rohlfs. Their vision is to give dancers who have fled from Ukraine a new artistic home and thus enable professional and social integration in Germany. In autumn 2022, they had already performed at a small venue at Baden-Baden, included in Neumeier’s annual Ballet Festival there.

The triple bill WHITE NOISE has three different parts. The first part BRITTEN-TANZ was created in cooperation with the Opera Estate Festival in Bassano del Grappa and shows the virtuosity of classical ballet.

WHITE NOISE, the second part of the evening, is a new choreography by Edvin Revazov, the music was composed by Australian-Danish composer Alexander McKenzie. Inspired by the physical phenomenon of "white noise", the dancers of the Hamburger Kammerballett translate the concept of light and sound spectra to humanity. The dancers will be accompanied by live musicians from the Hamburg University of Music and Performing Arts.

The third part is John Neumeier's ballet SPRING AND FALL to music by Antonín Dvořák, in which guest dancers from the Ukrainian National Ballet Kyiv will perform with the dancers of the Hamburg Chamber Ballet.

The dancers are Aleksandr Solovei, Anastasiia Ilnytska, Anna Solovei, Ihor Khomyshchak, Kateryna Andrenko, Viktoriia Miroshyna, Nikita Hodyna.

https://www.hamburger-kammerballett.de/

That’s wonderful news 💛💙

I’ve hinted at this very unsubtly before, but....would love, love to have the Walters (Iana Salenko and Marian Walter) here, if they deem it suitable for themselves, their three sons and family members (eg Iana’s mother, who helps them with childcare, which Iana has talked about publicly). Any company will do, but the obvious candidate would be ENB, which Iana guested with this January, and which had three principal men leave recently  to relocate in other continents (and no obvious replacements announced).

Also can’t believe they’re just letting go of Dinu Tamazlacaru, who has been a reliable, long serving star of the Berlin company, who’s been there longer than many recent  artistic directors, through thick and thin. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

@Emeralds Iana Salenko recently did a short Q&A on instagram for her upcoming gala here in Berlin. She said she will do Giselle and Sleeping Beauty here (the only remaining classics for the new season). So that gives a lot of opportunities for guest performances. My impression is that they stay in Berlin, as long as she is listed as full-time (not guesting) principal with Staatsballett Berlin. It's a secure job, and since she's been with this company for such a long time, employment law is certainly in her favor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

@Emeralds Iana Salenko recently did a short Q&A on instagram for her upcoming gala here in Berlin. She said she will do Giselle and Sleeping Beauty here (the only remaining classics for the new season). So that gives a lot of opportunities for guest performances. My impression is that they stay in Berlin, as long as she is listed as full-time (not guesting) principal with Staatsballett Berlin. It's a secure job, and since she's been with this company for such a long time, employment law is certainly in her favor.

Glad to hear that about the employment law being in her favour, and hope she remains as full time principal too. Also, if Marian is happy to do so, would be great to see him perform as a guest here. He hardly ever comes- I think the last time (could have also been the only time?) was one show in 2014 (the quirkily named Ballet Icons) but would love to see him do proper repertoire and complete ballets (full length or one act ones), either with Iana or with other partners.

• Like 2

Did anyone see Iana Salenko’s 🇺🇦charity fundraiser gala in Berlin yesterday? Or any curtain call photos? 😊 I’d like to have seen it if it wasn’t in a different country and if I wasn’t needed at another appointment. All reviews and feedback welcome! 

Edited by Emeralds

8 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Did anyone see Iana Salenko’s 🇺🇦charity fundraiser gala in Berlin yesterday? Or any curtain call photos? 😊 I’d like to have seen it if it wasn’t in a different country and if I wasn’t needed at another appointment. All reviews and feedback welcome! 

I was there. Will write a little report soon. It had A LOT of coverage in the news, which was good for the cause.💛💙

• Like 3

At State Ballet Hanover, where Marco Goecke was fired after attacking a critic, his previous company manager and deputy director Christian Blossfeld has been appointed the new Ballet Director. He had been acting Ballet Director since Goecke's contract was terminated. Blossfeld studied at the Staatliche Ballettschule Berlin, he was a solo dancer with Leipzig Ballet and the Ballet on the Rhine. Since 2019 he has been Assistant Director of Staatsballett Hannover, he is not a choreographer like Goecke. The Opera Director Laura Berman appointed him yesterday until the season 2028/29. Goecke's works that had been on the program so far will also be shown in the coming season.

• Thanks 1

A movie about John Cranko is in the making at Stuttgart and Cologne. He will be played by British actor Sam Riley who is married to a German actress and speaks German, as Cranko did very well (but has no blue eyes). As the movie has many ballet scenes, the roles of Cranko's dancers will be played by dancers of Stuttgart Ballet - Elisa Badenes as Marcia Haydée, Rocio Aleman as Birgit Keil, Jason Reilly as Ray Barra, Marti Fernandez Paixa as Richard Cragun, Friedemann Vogel as Heinz Clauss, Henrik Erikson as Egon Madsen etc. Other parts like Opera Intendant Walter Erich Schäfer were cast with German actors like Hanns Zischler, Louis Nitsche or Lucas Gregorowicz. If I find out who plays Ninette de Valois, Kenneth MacMillan or Peter Wright, I'll let you know. The movie was written and is directed by Joachim Lang.

Edited by Angela
I forgot an important fact
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

German Dance Award 2023 - Deutscher Tanzpreis 2023

Malou Airaudo, Josephine Ann Endicott, Lutz Förster and Dominique Mercy - four out-standing personalities, former dancers in Pina Bausch's ensemble - receive the German Dance Award 2023.

Dance educator Peter Appel will receive the Honorary Lifetime Achievement Award.

Sophie Neises, a performer with a visual impairment, is honored for outstanding development in dance.

The German Dance Award honors distinguished individuals in the field of dance in Germany. At the end of March, the jury (chaired by Dr. Patricia Stöckemann) selected the award winners for 2023. The German Dance Award 2023 for Malou Airaudo, Josephine Ann Endicott, Lutz Förster and Dominique Mercy is endowed with 4 x 5,000 €. The honors for Peter Appel and Sophia Neises also come with a grant of €5,000, respectively.

On Saturday, October 14, 2023, the German Dance Award 2023 will be presented at the Aalto Theater in Essen - Germany’s most prestigious honor in the field of dance.

The jury has selected the winners from numerous proposals submitted by associations, institutions and dance professionals. Malou Airaudo, Josephine Ann Endicott, Lutz Förster and Dominique Mercy were collectively nominated. The jury has endorsed this recommendation and will award the four dance professionals with the German Dance Award 2023. "From the very first years, they shaped the work of Pina Bausch and the Tanztheater Wuppertal by virtue of their personality and their unconditional commitment to a dance aesthetic that broke with existing conventions and generated a new way of thinking in and through dance. [...] Beginning in Wuppertal, all four have spread their radiance into the world and continue to be sought-after dance personalities. [...] The German Dance Award 2023 honors their life's work and tireless, in-dividual dedication to dance until today.”

The jury honors dance educator Peter Appel with an honorary award for his life's work. "His knowledge and insight into the works of the respective choreographers, his dedication and humor have accompanied renowned choreographers and have profoundly shaped and inspired generations of dancers. His lifelong devotion to dance and his pedagogical talent are honored by the jury with the German Dance Award - Lifetime Achievement.”

Sophia Neises, as a dance artist with visual impairment, represents the artistic work of people with disabilities in a unique way. The honor for outstanding development in dance recognizes her impact on dance and commitment to the field of accessibility. "As a performer, she identifies herself as an artist with visual impairments. As a result of this self-de-scription, she interacts with limitations in her performative practice [...] She discovers new skills and develops contemporary forms of artistic expression together with other artists in mutual exchange and learning from each other. [...] This creates new aesthetic approaches not only in dance and per-formance, but in contemporary culture and society as a whole.”

The award ceremony will take place as part of a dance gala on Saturday, October 14 at 6 p.m. at the Aalto Theater in Essen. The detailed program will be published in summer. Advance sales for the event will begin on June 10 via the Ticket Center of Theater Essen. The dance gala will also be available as a live stream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 21/04/2023 at 00:17, Angela said:

A movie about John Cranko is in the making at Stuttgart and Cologne. He will be played by British actor Sam Riley who is married to a German actress and speaks German, as Cranko did very well (but has no blue eyes).

This will be interesting to see. Sam Riley also played Ian Curtis, the charismatic lead singer of British Band Joy Division, in the movie "Control". It was a great movie and I think he and his future wife Alexandra Maria Lara, met on Set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Only in Mid-June, as far as I heard, nothing official yet. Stuttgart State Theatre is always the last 🙄

The Annual Press Conference will take place on June 14th. The night before, sponsors and friends get a sneak preview. This is at least what it says on the SB website. This page is only available in German. (https://foerderverein-staatstheater-stgt.de/veranstaltungen/)