News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

6 hours ago, Tybalt said:

Tonight Lucia Lacarra and Matthew Golding will dance Fordlandia in Munich (Cuvillies-Theatre)

https://www.muenchenticket.de/tickets/performances/e2jouwi2eswy/Ballett-Fordlandia

Tomorrow in Munich will be a Ballett-Gala with Lucia Lacarra, Matthew Golding, etc... . 

https://www.muenchenticket.de/tickets/performances/ef6q21a8w86z/Klassik--Ballett

Which is bad timing for ballet/dance enthusiasts and dancers in Munich. Bavarian Staatsballett has a premiere Tonight ("Spheres"), and same performance is on the following 2 days. Junior company involved as well.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone like my ticket for Staatsballett Berlin Petruschka and Bausch Rite of Spring tonight? I can’t get back to Berlin today and I don’t want the ticket (Erster Rang, Reihe 3, Platz 14 so good seat) to go unused - it’s free! DM me.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2023 at 20:46, FionaE said:

In the recent London Ballet Circle interview with Olga Smirnova she expressed regret that the Dutch National Ballet calendar meant she had had to drop out of performing in Nijinsky with Hamburg Ballet in June/July (as previously announced).  She said she hopes to be able to perform it later in 2023/24 season.  

Nijinsky Gala cast announced

Alina Cojocaru in the 3rd of Mahler was one of my ballet dream. Praetorius and Frola in Genzano Flower Festival is something to look forward too. And Azzoni-Riabko in Desir!

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/news/nijinsky_gala_2023.php

I quoted the wrong post writing on the mobile, not worth to change the quoting I think 😊

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today is the 50th anniversary of John Cranko's death, he died on June 26th, 1973 in a plane on the way from the USA to Ireland. For this occasion there was a commemoration talk in Stuttgart with his remaining "Initials" Haydée, Keil, Madsen and other companions from back then, where Reid Anderson said that he had just home come from Toronto, where he had selected the dancers for Onegin at NBoC. And then he said that Onegin will also be back at ABT, the Royal Ballet and in Paris. Just to let you know. For the big Cranko Gala on Friday there seem to be no guests invited and we will see a choice of his ballets in chronological order. Rumours say it will last up to five hours.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Angela said:

Today is the 50th anniversary of John Cranko's death, he died on June 26th, 1973 in a plane on the way from the USA to Ireland. For this occasion there was a commemoration talk in Stuttgart with his remaining "Initials" Haydée, Keil, Madsen and other companions from back then, where Reid Anderson said that he had just home come from Toronto, where he had selected the dancers for Onegin at NBoC. And then he said that Onegin will also be back at ABT, the Royal Ballet and in Paris. Just to let you know. For the big Cranko Gala on Friday there seem to be no guests invited and we will see a choice of his ballets in chronological order. Rumours say it will last up to five hours.

Additionally: The German-language website of the Stuttgart Ballet already mentions: Pineapple Poll, The Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet (Balcony Pas de deux), Initials R.B.M.E. (3rd movement), Brouillards, Opus 1, Hommage au Bolshoi and Holberg Pas de deux with dancers from the Stuttgart Ballet. The John Cranko School is also involved (the current repertoire includes Jeu de cartes, 2nd movement, Salade and the Pas de huit from Cranko's unfortunately lost Nutcracker). Further surprises have been announced, an open secret is that an excerpt from his last work, "Spuren", will also be danced. I'm full of anticipation of seeing many pearls again, which have been danced less often on the Stuttgart stage lately, and I'm very excited to see whether there will be any new discoveries for me (the "Spuren" are definitely one of them...) !

Edited by NiniGabriel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Angela said:

Interesting what Reid Anderson said re Onegin and the Royal Ballet. Hopefully that means we can expect it in the 24/25 season. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

ENSEMBLE NEWS Bayerisches Staatsballett

Leaving:

Emilio Pavan (Principal) due to ongoing injury

Philip Hedges

Emma Knowlson

Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova (First soloist)

Valeriia Sklotskaiad

Isabella Wagar

Stefano Maggiolo

Joining:

Jakob Feyferlik (as Principal, coming from Dutch National)

Ksenia Shevtsova (as First soloist coming from Stanislavski Theatre  Moscow)

Ana Gonçalves, Zhanna Gubanova, Zachary Rogers, Daniella Venter (Corps)

Also, Ballet master Yana Zelensky left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Find an interview with Emilio Pavan about his farewell here

Philip Hedges will end his career to study literature in the US. Emma Knowlson will leave for Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo.

Also joining: former apprenticies Marina Mata Gómez and Soren Sakadales, and Jasmine Henry who is in the company since April already.

Yana Zelensky left at her own request with the end of this season, the company stated.

• Thanks 2

I'm so sorry for Emilio,his Interview sounds as if his mood is quite good but retiring due to an injury must be so sad. Well, life of a dancer...

I will always remember his strong "Tybalt" and his elegance in Dawson's "Affairs of the heart".

• Like 2

I’m surprised Ksenia Shevtsova is not joining as principal in Münich.   She is a principal in Stanislavsky.  She was promoted there by Laurent Hilaire in 2019. 

She is also known to the Münich audience for stepping in cold and unrehearsed to the final act of a Mayerling performance there in 2017 to partner Sergei Polunin when Natalia Somova was injured and couldn’t continue.  

Ksenia is a lovely classical ballerina strong in everything, superb in ballets like Manon, Giselle, La Sylphide.  

I’m also surprised that Zhanna Gubanova joins in the corps.  She’s been a leading soloist (rank below principal) at Stanislavsky since 2016, after graduating from the Kiev School in 2014.  She comes from Crimea.  She has a really strong technique … equivalent to Claire Calvert, Julia Conway level.

I will expect early promotions at Münich for these two.  

Zachary Rogers was also at the Stanislavsky under Laurent Hilaire where he performed Nutcracker prince and James in La Sylphide.  He’s Canadian.   He’d be great as Jack in Wheeldon’s Alice which is in Münich rep.  

• Thanks 1

Well, it seems not unusual for dancers coming from Russia to join on a lower rank. Yago Gonzaga joined as Soloist (in Germany: Demi Soloist) and was a former principal dancer in Perm.

Certainly Laurent Hilaire has to balance between money (available for certain rank) and technical/artistic skills. The Level in Munich (I love your "Münich" @FionaE 😃) is quite high.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2

I imagine that like every organisation there are budget constraints.  It is not unknown for dancers to step down a level and take a pay cut to be able to join a particular company. Was writing at the same time as you Sabine.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add last sentence.
  • Like 1

Not in Germany but for instance, Anna Muromtseva, who was principal at National Ballet of Ukraine has joined Hungarian National Ballet as corps de ballet and is dancing Odette / Odile there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Roster changes at Hamburg Ballet:

Karen Azatyan, Alessandro Frola and Matias Oberlin were promoted to principals. John Neumeier also appointed Olivia Betteridge, Charlotte Larzelere, Ana Torrequebrada and Louis Musin to soloists. Patricia Friza, Yaiza Coll, Félix Paquet and David Rodriguez are leaving, also the corps de ballet dancers Borja Bermudez, Giorgia Giani, Marià Huguet and Ricardo Urbina.

For next season, Hamburg Ballet welcomes the previous "aspirants" (apprentices) Ghanima Choffat, Anita Ferreira, Lin Zhang, Gabriel Barbosa, Alfie McPherson and Javier Monreal as corps de ballet members, as well as Lormaigne Bockmühl and Joao Vitor Santana from the Bundesjugendballett. Pepijn Gelderman will also join the company; after graduating from the Hamburg Ballet School, he danced with the Bundesjugendballett and then joined the Latvian National Ballet. New apprentices: Eleanor Broughton, Abbey Haller, Hannah McCloughan, Kallum Morris, Tibor Perthel and Caspar Sasse from the School of the Hamburg Ballet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 10/07/2023 at 16:43, Angela said:

Alfie McPherson

Alfie McPherson from Aberdeen, Scotland.  Congratulations.  Sheer hard work and determination has paid off. His parents  must be very proud.

Interesting piece on him here, an old Post article from 2018.

Alfie’s dancing dream has not come cheap for dad Neil, 54, a farm trader and mum Dianne, a retail assistant. In the last year, Alfie has had to make more than 30 flights to London for workshops and auditions.

Neil said: “We are not big earners but have managed to fund Alfie’s dancing...."

“There is funding available but the cut-off point to access it is so low.

“I have tried to get access to funding and it’s almost impossible.”

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/strictly-gone-dancingtalented-teen-heads-off-to-leading-ballet-school-in-london/

Neil praised his son’s determination, saying: “He has worked long and hard for it.

“It’s an extremely cut-throat industry and there are no second places. You are picked or you’re not.”

Alfie, the youngest of three, will be studying a BA Hons in Modern Ballet this September.

He trained initially in Aberdeen Danscentre 

https://www.danscentre.com/post/ex-pupil-update

Alfie McPherson

Alfie is currently in his first of two years of post graduate training at the Hamburg Ballet School, studying Classical Ballet.

• Like 5

Weel, hivvens above, the Sunday Post has made it intae yon balletcoforum!  Ah kin hardly believe it - mebbe we'll get Oor Wullie and The Broons next, if they're still goin' strong.  It's been many a year since ah last saw them.  

Meanwhile, back in Germany, Austria and Switzerland ........

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

The Neumeier Nijinsky Gala in Hamburg sounds fascinating.
Did anyone attend this year?

How does one get tickets and when do they go onsale? 

Hi Peter,

I did attend this year and it was a very special gala as this was the 50 anniversary celebration and and more than 4 hours long. 

I can let you know what the procedure was for this year's gala and am guessing, it will be similar next year. Perhaps somebody has more accurate advice.

This is how it worked this year.

Tickets sales are based on a kind of lottery draw.

There is a brief window of a few days a couple of months (February in my case) before the actual gala during which you can apply for a ticket (stating your seating, pricing preferences, no. seats etc.. ).

A few months later you'll receive information (April in my case) if your application was successful and you can then buy the ticket.

Important seating advice: Avoid rows 2 to 10 in the stalls. There is no rake and you might get trapped behind giants (as happened in our case. We did manage to "work" our way forward, however).

Views from the balcony (first, second or even 3rd tier) are preferable.

Seating in the stalls starts to climb from row 11, from here you have excellent views.

Here's the link to the page for next years's Nijinsky-Gala XLIX: https://www.hamburgballett.de/de/spielplan/stueck.php?AuffNr=196311

Keep checking the page (there must be an English language page, too) for announcements.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

might we have some background in common here?

A long line of Scottish ancestors (though alas I'm currently on the Wrong Side of the border).  I can write in Scots but I don't speak it with the authentic accent.

Also doesn't the entire world read the Sunday Post? Is Maw Broon not everyone's maw?

Is Irn Bru not drunk worldwide?

Back to the topic or The Mods will be slappin' me wrist again. 🤭🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 3

Sad to hear about Emilio Pavan’s injury but glad to read that he had so many satisfying roles in Munich and rose to the position of principal there. I remember him dancing with Queensland Ballet and English National Ballet - he always stood out for the elegance and quality of his dancing. 

I too got a bit confused about the “danced Romeo in MacMillan’s choreography in London” in the company website interview as he would have been young enough for me to catch any guest appearances etc etc and am sure he didn’t appear with RB or BRB! Then I realised they must have meant Romeo in MacMillan’s production with Queensland Ballet and Paris in Nureyev’s version with English National Ballet (as far as I can recall he didn’t dance Romeo in the time they did it at Royal Festival Hall - there were a lot of guest principals) in London. He does sound positive about his future plans- I wish him all the best in his studies and new career path! 

Well done to Alfie McPherson and wishing him much success at Hamburg Ballet. It’s a great company to perform with. 

• Like 1

On 10/07/2023 at 16:43, Angela said:

Roster changes at Hamburg Ballet:

Karen Azatyan, Alessandro Frola and Matias Oberlin were promoted to principals. John Neumeier also appointed Olivia Betteridge, Charlotte Larzelere, Ana Torrequebrada and Louis Musin to soloists. Patricia Friza, Yaiza Coll, Félix Paquet and David Rodriguez are leaving, also the corps de ballet dancers Borja Bermudez, Giorgia Giani, Marià Huguet and Ricardo Urbina.

For next season, Hamburg Ballet welcomes the previous "aspirants" (apprentices) Ghanima Choffat, Anita Ferreira, Lin Zhang, Gabriel Barbosa, Alfie McPherson and Javier Monreal as corps de ballet members, as well as Lormaigne Bockmühl and Joao Vitor Santana from the Bundesjugendballett. Pepijn Gelderman will also join the company; after graduating from the Hamburg Ballet School, he danced with the Bundesjugendballett and then joined the Latvian National Ballet. New apprentices: Eleanor Broughton, Abbey Haller, Hannah McCloughan, Kallum Morris, Tibor Perthel and Caspar Sasse from the School of the Hamburg Ballet.

New apprentice Kallum Connor Morris is Serbian, despite the optics of his name (!)

He represented Hamburg Ballet School at the 2023 Assemblée International on racial diversity which was hosted by Canada’s National Ballet School … along with students from other schools (Caspar Lench from RBS). 

Less well known is that he is 1 of 3 ballet students from Serbia who are graduating from European ballet schools this season who have all been sponsored by the Sergei Polunin Foundation.  

(The other students haven’t announced their companies as far as I’ve seen.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

the 2023 Assemblée International on racial diversity which was hosted by Canada’s National Ballet School … along with students from other schools

Further info here:

https://www.nbs-enb.ca/media/AssembléeInternationale2023-Press Release.pdf

There's a very nice 'souvenir programme' here, with details of all the dance schools / training organisations and students who represented them, what a marvellous opportunity for those young people!

https://www.nbs-enb.ca/media/AI23_programme_230417_HIGHRESWEB.pdf

Pointe Magazine has a report, sadly you have to be a subscriber to read it. 

https://pointemagazine.com/unpacking-racial-inequities-in-ballet-at-canadas-national-ballet-schools-2023-assemblee-internationale/

• Like 2

News from Djordje Kalenic … Serbian graduate of the John Cranko School in Stuttgart.  

He thanks all his teachers along his journey … at the Cranko school, Vienna State Academy and in Serbia … plus his 4 years of vocational school sponsorship by the Sergei Polunin Foundation.  Some of you may have seen him perform in PoluninInk’s Rasputin in London back in 2019 … as the young crown prince. 

Djordje is joining the Mikhailovsky ballet company.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvLHmz_rkGz/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by FionaE
Clarification
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The annual critics' survey of Germany's dance magazine "tanz" produced these results:

Best production: "Ophelia's Got Talent" by Florentina Holzinger, Volksbühne Berlin

Best choreographer: Marcos Morau from Spain, new Resident Choreographer at State Ballet Berlin

Best dancer: Jason Reilly from Stuttgart Ballet

Best online event: the streams by NDT

Their yearbook is about the year 1973 when 50 years ago John Cranko died in June, and a few weeks later, Pina Bausch and John Neumeier took over their respective companies in Wuppertal and Hamburg – a pivotal year for dance in Germany.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some more dancer news from Germany and Austria:

More new dancers at Berlin State Ballet, the new director Christian Spuck hired 24 new dancers (the others were mentioned here)

new soloists: Martin ten Kortenaar (from Dutch National), Haruka Sassa (from Royal Swedish Ballet)

new demi-soloists: Shaked Heller (from Stuttgart Ballet), Fiona McGee (from Vienna State Ballet), Kalle Wigle  (Royal Swedish)

new corps de ballet dancers: Gustavo Chalub, Filippo Pagani, Blanka Paldi, Giovanni Princic

The American demi-soloist Timoor Afshar has left Stuttgart Ballet to become a soloist at Vienna State Ballet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Some former Staatsballett Berlin dancers have joined forces and founded a new professional ballet company in Berlin: Berlin Ballet Company.

Dancers:

Iana Balova

Arshak Ghalumyan

Marian Walter

Olaf Kollmannsperger

Krasina Pavlova

Federico Spalita

Oleksandr Shpak

and others

More Info here:

https://www.berlinballet.company/#about

Side note:

Former First Soloist with Staatsballett Berlin Evelina Godunova is now dancing in the same rank in Warsaw, for Polish National Ballet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1