Vocational School - What to take

Adagio123

My DD has accepted a place to start in year 7. I am hoping we will get a list of what is needed from the school but if anyone has any tips for a first timer at boarding school, it would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by Adagio123

Congratulations to your DC. Firstly try and talk to existing parents at the school to see if there are any items on the uniform list that are optional or never used. We bought a scarf and coat for Hammond that never saw the light of day 🙄. A shower caddy is a great buy for storage and taking shampoo/ shower gel etc in and out of the communal showers. Start labelling items as soon as you buy them is my best tip as otherwise you’ll have a stressful couple of days in late August …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Laundry pen and/or stick on labels as even if the school specifies labels must be sewn it, they're useful for non clothes things like books, pencil cases etc. If it's not permanently attached to your child's body, label it 🤣

Mattress topper definitely.

Over door hooks to give extra hanging space for coats, bags, dressing gowns etc. 

Laundry liquid in case they want to wash small items in the sink.

Card reader if they have a bank card!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely get your child their own bank card if they don’t already have one, it makes it so much easier to transfer money quickly if you need to, ie if they need money on trips out service stations etc.  Or if they run out of something they need. 

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Great idea. Thank you 😊 

27 minutes ago, Adagio123 said:

Is this for weekends/down time? Ir do you mean TV or for shopping?

Emergency last-minute stuff - as they only get to the shops at the weekend - replacement water bottles, toe spacers, ballet tights, friends birthday gifts and lots of random stuff - bunny ears for the Easter party for example 🙄

• Like 4

Just now, taxi4ballet said:

When it comes to toiletries, some places don't like you to use aerosols, so roll-on or stick antiperspirant is better, as is the spritz type hairspray.

Yes at the finals we got a tour and they said no aerosols as the fire alarm system is sensitive

100% a nice memory foam mattress topper! 
also, we found a few of those large zip-up laundry bags really useful ( I don’t know what they’re really called but the type of the you see for sale on a market, huge rectangular plastic bags with colourful designs) - great for packing everything into when you have to transfer all belongings to and fro each term. We had a separate ‘school’ duvet and pillows. Actually if I’m honest we ended up with several- somehow the duvet always seemed to be the one thing that got left at home each holiday 🤣

• Thanks 1

A fleecy blanket/throw not just for the bed but one that can be used to cuddle up in, great for watching tv or having a quiet moment.  
There are some great companies that offer personalised photo blankets. Perfect gift for those moving away from home.  No matter how old they maybe. 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Adagio123Congratulations to your DD! Not exactly a purchase, but with 5 months to go (and depending on existing skill levels of your DD), I'd recommend working on some life skills with them! E.g. changing sheets/ duvet; sorting laundry so your lovely, brightly coloured uniform tracksuit etc. doesn't go in with whites; sewing own elastics/ pointe shoes; money/ time management; how to take brief notes from classes (written or electronic). A lot of stress can be alleviated for both DD and parent of DD if they can solve some seemingly trivial daily problems with confidence- houseparents have many kids to look after so aren't always there just when they have a panic on. Phonecalls at 8am asking, "Where are my socks?" from hundreds of miles away - I've been there!  Also, if they are good at these things, then helping others in their dorm is a lovely, friendly thing to do!

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

@Adagio123Congratulations to your DD! Not exactly a purchase, but with 5 months to go (and depending on existing skill levels of your DD), I'd recommend working on some life skills with them! E.g. changing sheets/ duvet; sorting laundry so your lovely, brightly coloured uniform tracksuit etc. doesn't go in with whites; sewing own elastics/ pointe shoes; money/ time management; how to take brief notes from classes (written or electronic). A lot of stress can be alleviated for both DD and parent of DD if they can solve some seemingly trivial daily problems with confidence- houseparents have many kids to look after so aren't always there just when they have a panic on. Phonecalls at 8am asking, "Where are my socks?" from hundreds of miles away - I've been there!  Also, if they are good at these things, then helping others in their dorm is a lovely, friendly thing to do!

All of this. If they have confidence in their own ability to cope with the everyday stuff it makes boarding life so much easier to deal with. 

• Like 1

All of this. I have a niece who refused to learn basic skills before going to non-vocational boarding school. She was asked to leave her dormitory and therefore the school after two months as she continued to wear stinky dirty clothes instead of washing them. Oh, she bought new undies weekly.

1 hour ago, TwirlyWhirly said:, I'd recommend working on some life skills with them! E.g. changing sheets/ duvet; sorting laundry so your lovely, brightly coloured uniform tracksuit etc. doesn't go in with whites; sewing own elastics/ pointe shoes; money/ time management; how to take brief notes from classes (written or electronic).

It was some years ago but at Elmhurst there was no separation of white and coloured laundry, it all went in together 🤣 So avoid the white or paler colours of underwear etc. It just all comes back grey 😒

12 hours ago, Sophoife said:

All of this. I have a niece who refused to learn basic skills before going to non-vocational boarding school. She was asked to leave her dormitory and therefore the school after two months as she continued to wear stinky dirty clothes instead of washing them. Oh, she bought new undies weekly.

😲

Big bath towels with loops on (or add a loop) to hang on hooks.

If radiator in room an over radiator airer to put said towels on to dry. 
Many seem to take plastic 3 or 4 drawer units like a mini chest of drawers…. Ideal for undies/dance kit/school books - whatever really. Also under bed storage boxes with lids - the ones with a hinged open half at tone lid on wheels really work well to store bedding or shoes or school books -  do wait til there to ensure buy ones of right height to go under bed…

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 2

On 07/04/2023 at 09:38, TwirlyWhirly said:

Also little life (girlie) hacks that you can think of for that time of the month. Some girls may not have even started when they head off to LS. Anything from overnight and other moments that happen😉🧺. Which I’m sure we all understand and appreciate but living away from home when they happen can be somewhat overwhelming for the girls.