Prix de Lausanne 2023 - Closing Gala (streamed)

4 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I really did not enjoy the Nutcracker pdd.

I did … primarily because it’s the first time I’ve warmed to Olga.  Previously known to me as an ice queen dramatically.  This was entirely warm and joyous and free, qualities I’ve not seen from her before.  I thought the choreo and feelings fit the music well, though it is hard to shut away the ingrained versions.  

• Like 2

On 05/02/2023 at 22:54, capybara said:

Agree that:

• the gala programme was a refreshing mix (although I found some elements too long - Faun(e) is really a one-acter)
  • the quality was variable but it's important to remember that some pairings are long-established whereas others probably only met up 24 hours beforehand at the most; [for example, Vadim was, I believe, still inside the ROH when the Stage Door closed at 11.30pm on Friday and the journey from London to Lausanne takes a while]
  • the performers should all be PdeL alumni; [the programme was quite long  and those with no connections to the Prix weren't really needed, however nice it was to see some familiar faces]; and
  • the 'doubling up' should not have been necessary. [Maybe Shale Wagman (for example) didn't get the call because there were 4 others from Munich; but there were 5 current RB dancers on stage plus two former ones.]

I was a tad puzzled by Francesca's dress as Titania which looked more bird- than fairy-like and obscured much of her movement.

Quoting myself because my 'no doubling up' remark was probably unjustified in relation to Victor Caixeta............

Now that we know that Cesar Corrales is 'off' for Sleeping Beauty, it is always possible that he was due to partner Mayara Magri in the Don Quixote pdd.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FionaE said:

I have rewatched some sections and have renewed admiration for Victor Caixeta .. in Don Q he did an amazing job on holding the 2 vertical leg split lifts.   And his own solos  were beautifully executed.   

in addition to the charming and super connection he had with Olga Smirnova in the Nutcracker.  

I didn't like Victor's Basilio at all. It was kind of "lame" to me, no pepper. The Nutcracker PDD was way better, maybe he saved some energy for this.

• Like 2

Have only had a very cursory glance at small bits of the gala but the thing that leapt out at me was how better Francesca Hayward looked in the Dream pas de deux without that awful strawberry blond wig. To me it's a distraction from the beautiful choreography and dancing as it just doesn't look right when the majority of dancers have dark hair.  It looked strange on Takada in the last recording. Did Ashton insist on it? Could it not be retired? Francesca looked just as fairylike and far more natural without it.

• Like 4

A beautiful clip dropped into my Facebook page rather appropriately this morning of the wonderful Alessandra Ferri and Ethan Stiefel (who I don’t know) dancing a pas de deux from The Dream with American Ballet Theatre …….and as far as I can see not a wig in sight just Ferris long dark hair….much more natural but also fairy like to me anyway. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LinMM said:

A beautiful clip dropped into my Facebook page rather appropriately this morning of the wonderful Alessandra Ferri and Ethan Stiefel (who I don’t know) dancing a pas de deux from The Dream with American Ballet Theatre …….and as far as I can see not a wig in sight just Ferris long dark hair….much more natural but also fairy like to me anyway. 

Ethan Stiefel was a star dancer at ABT and NYCB and has done lots of work with Johan Kobborg, among others.  He starred in the film Center Stage (and its sequels) and is married to the ballerina Gillian Murphy.  

• Like 4

Continuing with the tangent on Ethan Steifel .. longtime star principal of ABT:

Ethan Steifel and Johan Kobborg are currently restaging their joint Giselle for American Repertory Ballet.  Ethan is AD there having previously been AD at Royal New Zealand Ballet where he and Johan first staged this new Giselle together.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clg-RVLPUD7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Johan and Ethan and Angel Corella and Nikolai Tsiskaridze were the original ‘Kings of the Dance’ programme.  

Wheeldon’s FOR FOUR recently performed by RB and on their upcoming Japan tour, was originally created for this programme and these 4 dancers.  
https://youtu.be/fqtLlplpkqQ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought Matthew Ball performed a beautifully sensitive DOTBS and it was great to see Steven McRae back on such exhuberant form. 

Fresh for me (not having seen them before) were the  stand-out performamces of  Madison Young as Giselle, and Margarita Fernandes & Antonio Casalinho in Diana and Actaeon. Amazing young dancers....and I see they are all currently at The Bayerisches Staatsballett! That company looks to have a brilliant line-up at present...it wouid be great if they could visit the UK!

• Like 3

I’m ancient Angela but haven’t seen much of American Ballet Theatre unfortunately or New York City Ballet. 
I was devastated ( in the ballet sort of way) when Ferri went to the US. But considerably younger in 1985 lol!! 
I hardly went to the ROH between 85 and late 90’s so missed a lot of Guillem and Darcy’s careers there. 

• Like 1

Ethan Stiefel danced quite a few guest performances with the RB in the early years of the century, dancing with some of the less tall principals - Wildor, Benjamin, Cojocaru. I remember him particularly as very nice Lensky and in a lovely Fille with Wildor - he looked much more at home in the company than many guests have done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Amazing young dancers....and I see they are all currently at The Bayerisches Staatsballett! That company looks to have a brilliant line-up at present...it wouid be great if they could visit the UK!

There are cheap flights to Munich and top price seats are only €90.!

In addition to the above dancers there …  you will also see Shale Wagman (PdL gold) and Jinhao Zhang (PdL prize winner) … both previously ENB, as are other Munich principals ..  Lauretta Summesrcales, Yonah Acost and Emilio Pavan.   

Igor Zelensky built up a really super company for Laurent Hilaire to take forward.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jmhopton said:

I also remember Angel Corella guesting with RB around that time and seeing him do Bayadere with Alina; Fabulous. Also both of them immortalised in the ABT Corsaire dvd from around this period.

I didn’t know there was a DVD of these two together … 

52 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I didn’t know there was a DVD of these two together … 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsaire-DVD-Julie-Kent/dp/B00004VUHK

I think it was a video first then released as a dvd. I think my copy is a video transfer. Great cast, and quite an amusing piece at the beginning where they try to explain the plot without seeming to understand it themselves!

20 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsaire-DVD-Julie-Kent/dp/B00004VUHK

I think it was a video first then released as a dvd. I think my copy is a video transfer. Great cast, and quite an amusing piece at the beginning where they try to explain the plot without seeming to understand it themselves!

ah, not Alina.  My misunderstanding 

On 05/02/2023 at 23:29, Sabine0308 said:

Oh? I believe he and his girlfriend Margarita went to audition at RB (after some travelling to other cities, among them Moscow), but they didn't take them. Zelensky did.

It is thought that he was offered a Soloist contract by both the Bolshoi and Munich. He said in interviews at the time that his family and teachers were considering all aspects. With hindsight it was the right move. 

On 05/02/2023 at 23:08, FionaE said:

yes he is a great asset to ballet.   I saw his Puck in Munich in mid-2022.   It was glorious, mischievous and amusing without going OTT like the mechanicals.  

I know he has performed Mercutio in R&J, Benjamin in Cinderella and also the lead in Coppélia, as well as other soloist roles in their rep.  All in his first 1-2 years in Munich.  Good decision to join there rather than RB which I believe had been talking to him for years.  

I saw his Puck in Munich and couldn’t take my eyes off him, he commands your attention even when he isn’t dancing. He had stunning reviews for his Ariel performance in Ratmansky’s new ballet, I would have liked to have seen that. Can’t wait to see him next week at the Coliseum. 

I agree  with the other posts that not joining the Royal Ballet as the Prix de Lausanne Dancer for the season was fortuitous. He would never have had the opportunities he has had in Munich, already a First Soloist. 

• Like 3

On 05/02/2023 at 19:46, Sabine0308 said:

My favorite piece was Sambe/Hayward in "The dream". Also great was Steven McRea with his stunning Csardaz stepdance.

Artistically most impressive for me were Alina Cojocaru and Friedemann Vogel in Ladies of Camellias. A dream to watch!!

Also great was Antonio Casalinho, who is, among others at Bayerisches Staatsballett, way better than principal Julian McKay (where is all the fuss about him coming from?) Mckay was -again- mediocre,  partnering a beautiful, very convincing Madison Young in Giselle. She needs a better partner and already had/has him in Jinhao Zhang in Munich. 

Victor Caixeta and Mayara Magri in DonQ...well I have seen better Pdds, with more energy. Maybe Caixeta was saving energy for his Pdd with Olga (in Nutcracker), that was way better.

Very touching: Maria Kotchetkova in "Zero" (on music Ave Maria by Schubert). 

I missed some seconds/minutes because the livestream stuttered for me at times, which was very annoying! I hope to see the gala later again in full beauty.

It was so great to see the different pieces, we need to keep this artform alive!

Couldn’t agree more about Julian Mackay, so much hype and no substance, Madison needs a better partner. 
I also found Caixeta’s pas de deux with Magri lacking.

Antonio Casalinho was just sublime on every front and so clearly enjoying himself. It’s a pleasure to see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dara said:

II agree  with the other posts that not joining the Royal Ballet as the Prix de Lausanne Dancer for the season was fortuitous. He would never have had the opportunities he has had in Munich, already a First Soloist. 

He was never offered a position with the RB. 

Now that some days have passed I have calmed down but I was really upset that Prix did not invite Shale Wagman (Gold Medal and Nurejev Prize winner) and/or Luca Abdel Nour (Prize winner) to perform at the gala. It has been said before here, they invited so many peeps who had nothing to do with Prix or didn't win prizes, but performed twice. And a lack of diversity was also an aspect I noticed. With their origin, both Luca and Shale can be role models for other young boys who want to become (ballet) dancers but are being bullied. At least Prix learned something from the sh*storm they earned last year regarding their remarks about all-white dancers/jury.

Well. I look forward to see Shale as fabulous Puck soon. I know it will be a feast for heart and soul. There's no other dancer in Munich who can touch me with every.single.performance.

I'm always reminded of a remark Reid Anderson (Stuttgart) once made (not about a dancer in particular, but it is true): "A lot of good people know the steps. But only a few can dance." Shale is for sure a dancer and true artist.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I also remember Angel Corella guesting with RB around that time and seeing him do Bayadere with Alina; Fabulous. Also both of them immortalised in the ABT Corsaire dvd from around this period.

By which you mean Stiefel and Corella: I clearly wasn't the only one who read it and went "Huh?" :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alison said:

By which you mean Stiefel and Corella: I clearly wasn't the only one who read it and went "Huh?" :) 

Sorry everyone,  getting so carried away, didn't check what I was writing. I did mean Corella and Stiefel, not Alina. 

10 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I couldn't start watching this until last night. Can anyone explain why it was fine on my laptop, I created a free account with Medici TV and it all went smoothly, but when I tried to access it on my smart TV, big screen, it said the streaming was only valid until 5th February! 

I watched it in dribs and drabs during the week (on my laptop) but when I went back to look at something again yesterday morning it had disappeared.  It must have only been available to stream for a short period.

21 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I watched it in dribs and drabs during the week (on my laptop) but when I went back to look at something again yesterday morning it had disappeared.  It must have only been available to stream for a short period.

Still appears to be on Medici TV. Free with account creation

Prix de Lausanne 50th anniversary: Gala des Étoiles (medici.tv)

Edited by oncnp