Christmas and New Year ballet and dance on UK TV and radio

As TV channels are starting to announce their Christmas schedules I thought I'd start a new thread though I don't anticipate it will be a very long one, certainly in terms of actual ballet on TV over Christmas or the New Year.

In this weeks Radio Times the BBC say they are showing Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker sometime on BBC2. Filmed live at Sadlers Wells in Jan 2022 and directed for the screen by Ross McGibbon.

Then there is Coppelia:-

A new adaptation of Coppélia this winter combines enchanting animation and live action dance in a modern take on the much-loved ballet. With a world-class cast including Michaela DePrince, Daniel Camargo, Vito Mazzeo, Dame Darcey Bussell and Irek Mukhamedov, this new adaptation sees Dr. Coppelius (Mazzeo) as a cosmetic surgeon, whose lure of superficial beauty poisons the town. 

Swan (DePrince) must uncover the truth about the popular newcomer who puts her community and the life of her beloved Franz (Daniel Camargo) in danger. 

Choreographed by Ted Brandsen and featuring an original score composed by Maurizio Malagnini, performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

Lets hope there is more to come otherwise it will be out with the dvds.

• Like 2

The film I was thinking of is Spanish and called “The Skin I live in” where a plastic surgeon is trying to create the perfect skin( there is a back story)  and basically changes a man into a women with a series of operations but it’s not initially with his will 😳😳

Its a Pedro Almodovar film. 

• Like 1

That Coppelia was online (or maybe extended excerpts of it) for a little while during Covid restrictions - I thought everyone in it was fabulous but the designs were a little bit  dayglo and felt a bit like watching the tv series “Lazytown” (if you have younger siblings or had/have young children in the last 15 years you’ll know the one I mean) with classical ballet steps 😅.

But it was a hoot and I think gave the ballet a fresh look- that said, you either like that sort of thing or you don’t. I think it’s a good production for watching during Christmas holidays or in lockdown, rather than when you’re busy. I like Michaela de Prince and Daniel Camargo so it works for me.  Looking forward to it on tv! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

The film I was thinking of is Spanish and called “The Skin I live in” where a plastic surgeon is trying to create the perfect skin( there is a back story)  and basically changes a man into a women with a series of operations but it’s not initially with his will 😳😳

Its a Pedro Almodovar film. 

I was going to say it sounded like an Almodovar film!  👍 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Or alternatively there's always ROH Stream, I suppose (other companies' offerings are presumably also available).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

Or alternatively there's always ROH Stream, I suppose (other companies' offerings are presumably also available).

I have everything on ROH stream, though I joined because I hoped there would be new offerings, especially this year's Ashton triple, or perhaps some heritage offerings but nothing yet. I do hope we get the Ashton before Christmas but I see their latest offering is the 2016 Nutcracker with  Cuthbertson. 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 13:07, jmhopton said:

As TV channels are starting to announce their Christmas schedules I thought I'd start a new thread though I don't anticipate it will be a very long one, certainly in terms of actual ballet on TV over Christmas or the New Year.

In this weeks Radio Times the BBC say they are showing Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker sometime on BBC2. Filmed live at Sadlers Wells in Jan 2022 and directed for the screen by Ross McGibbon.

Then there is Coppelia:-

A new adaptation of Coppélia this winter combines enchanting animation and live action dance in a modern take on the much-loved ballet. With a world-class cast including Michaela DePrince, Daniel Camargo, Vito Mazzeo, Dame Darcey Bussell and Irek Mukhamedov, this new adaptation sees Dr. Coppelius (Mazzeo) as a cosmetic surgeon, whose lure of superficial beauty poisons the town. 

Swan (DePrince) must uncover the truth about the popular newcomer who puts her community and the life of her beloved Franz (Daniel Camargo) in danger. 

Choreographed by Ted Brandsen and featuring an original score composed by Maurizio Malagnini, performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

Nutcracker - BBC 2 Christmas Day 2022 13:30

Coppelia - BBC 2 Tue 27 Dec 2022 18:15 

Edited by oncnp

14 hours ago, oncnp said:

Nutcracker - BBC 2 Christmas Day 2022 13:30

Coppelia - BBC 2 Tue 27 Dec 2022 18:15 

Thanks oncnp.

Just remembered, wasn't the BBC meant to be showing BRBs Don Q sometime, as part of their Sunday Arts series? I assumed it would be over Christmas but possibly not.

Though all I really want for Christmas is the RB Ashton stream!!!!

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 4

TPTV (Freeview 82) have The Tales Of Beatrix Potter Boxing Day, 08:45

Immediately afterwards is a very rare recording of The Eartha Kitt Show, which if it what I think it is, is from Australia. No ballet but some damn fine singing!

12 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks oncnp.

Just remembered, wasn't the BBC meant to be showing BRBs Don Q sometime, as part of their Sunday Arts series? I assumed it would be over Christmas but possibly not.

Though all I really want for Christmas is the RB Ashton stream!!!!

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts are showing Balanchine's NYCB Nutcracker from 2011 on Boxing Day (26th Dec) 8am-9.50am

Talking Pictures are showing Tales of Beatrix Potter 8.45am (see above)

BBC2 Tues 27th Dec the reimagined Coppelia 6.15pm with Darcey Bussell and Irek Mukhamedov

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’m told that the Radio Times posts a picture of Misty Copeland and Sergei Polunin to advertise ‘The Nutcracker and The Four Realms’ movie … BBC1 at 5.25pm on Christmas Eve

I recall that the choreographer for this movie was Liam Scarlett.  

According to imdb Max Westwell, Harris Bell, Julia Conway, Kristen McGarrity and Katharina Nikelski are also in this movie .. amongst other dancers.  

Edited by FionaE
Add names of other dancers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

I’m told that the Radio Times posts a picture of Misty Copeland and Sergei Polunin to advertise ‘The Nutcracker and The Four Realms’ movie … BBC1 at 5.25pm on Christmas Eve

I recall that the choreographer for this movie was Liam Scarlett.  

According to imdb Max Westwell, Harris Bell, Julia Conway, Kristen McGarrity and Katharina Nikelski are also in this movie .. amongst other dancers.  

BBC One - The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Edited by oncnp

For most people, all over the world…

New Year’s Day 2023 will feature the annual New Year’s Celebration concert with the Vienna Philharmonic and dance numbers with the Vienna State Ballet, this year choreographed by Ashley Page.

General news, from Vienna:

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/en/newyearsconcert/newyearsconcert2023

From the USA’s PBS network:

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/from-vienna-the-new-years-celebration-2023/14197/

The Vienna Boys and Girls Choirs will also be featured.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

No mention of BRBs Don Q in the double issue Radio Times so the one ballet offering I really wanted to see isn't on over Christmas. Back to the dvds though might watch the Cranko Taming of the Shrew kindly highlighted by FionaE in the free livestream thread.

However, the Radio Times did mention SkyArts showing Swan Lake on Christmas day at the usual unfriendly time of 8-8.30am

To mark the 50th anniversary of Rudolf Nureyev's version of Tchaikovsky's ballet, this 2014 Vienna State Opera production revived the show with new sets, costumes and more (the statement ends as abruptly as this)

Also, the Balanchine Nutcracker is repeated Monday 2nd Jan 6.10-8am. So there is some ballet on offer, just not much that appeals to me.

• Like 1

Sat 24 Dec 8.25pm Channel 4- English National Ballet dancers are appearing on the Great British Bake Off Christmas special (the charity one) dancing an excerpt from Swan Lake. Must admit I was surprised that it wasn’t Nutcracker rather than Swan Lake, given the obvious Christmas and sugar/baking connections, but am always pleased to see any good ballet on tv! 

• alison changed the title to Christmas ballet and dance on UK TV and radio

Okay, so, trying to put this into more of an order, that's:

Christmas Eve

BBC1, 5.25 pm: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Christmas Day

Sky Arts, 6.00 am: Swan Lake

BBC1, 1.30 pm: Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker!

Boxing Day

Sky Arts, 8.00 am  George Balanchine's The Nutcracker (NYCB)

Talking Pictures, 8.45 am  Tales of Beatrix Potter

Tuesday 27th December

BBC2, 6.15 pm  Coppelia

Have I forgotten anything?

Regardless, that's actually more than we've had at Christmas for some considerable time.

Looking at the first few radio pages, there are some more, potentially enticing, programmes (presumably available on BBC iPlayer, too):

Christmas Eve

BBC Radio 3, 11.30 am   The Balletboyz Guide to Music and Dance

Several times during the day on BBC Radio 4 Extra: The Nutcracker Christmas

Christmas Day

Scala Radio, 8 pm - the score of The Nutcracker played in its entirety

Boxing Day

BBC Radio 4, 8.30 pm  Crossing Continents: Spain's Flamenco on the Edge

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

The Nut and Four Realms turned out to have very little to do with dance or ballet, apart from a couple of minutes of Misty Copeland before the credits.  I won't be rushing to see it again. 

Producing this must have broken the bank but what a load of rubbish.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

I think it had its merits as a children's film. It was spectacular, action packed and well acted. However, the tantalising snippets of real Nutcracker music made me realise just how fond I am of the score as well as the spectacle of the ballet and made me want to watch,  or even just listen to, the Real Thing. By the way, where was Polunin? He was mentioned in the credits but I didn't see him, but did keep rather switching off to imagine I was watching the ballet.

I caught some ballet by accident tonight watching BBC4 classical collection there were some extracts from the Royal Ballet Nutcracker …I didn’t quite catch the year but may have been 1964 Nureyev was dancing with a Clara I didn’t recognise except might have been Merle Park? I can’t remember when Park started dancing with RB though. 
I liked the Snowflakes extract some nice bits of slightly different choreography in that and there were 26 dancers …24 in corps and two lead snowflakes…would love to know who they were! 
I’ve now seen your comment above James about this programme but was a nice surprise to have a bit of Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I think it had its merits as a children's film. It was spectacular, action packed and well acted. However, the tantalising snippets of real Nutcracker music made me realise just how fond I am of the score as well as the spectacle of the ballet and made me want to watch,  or even just listen to, the Real Thing. By the way, where was Polunin? He was mentioned in the credits but I didn't see him, but did keep rather switching off to imagine I was watching the ballet.

there’s more of all the dancers and Liam Scarlett in the behind the scenes video than actually ended up in the final cut … a search on YouTube will bring up the ballet scene and the behind the scenes.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Always worth remembering there is often some fabulous dancing in 30s-60s American musicals shown on telly over Christmas. I was minded of this watching 'White Christmas' as Vera-Ellen (aka 'Miss Turnstiles' in On The Town) strutted her stuff. Man alive, if Betty Grable's legs insured for $1m - hers must have been £2m at least! ($5m for Cyd Charise?). Her waist must have been less than 18" for heavens sake! Also spotting some of the dancers that later appeared in West Side Story...

• Like 2