• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/02/2022 at 08:46, PeterS said:

Last night’s BRB Don Quixote (Hirata/Dingman/Lawrence/Kurihara) was being filmed for future broadcast. I chatted to one of the cameramen who, it turns out, regularly films these kind of productions (ROH, NT etc). He couldn’t confirm where or when it might appear. It could be streamed directly by BRB or broadcast by SkyArts or the BBC.

9 hours ago, RMM1 said:

Sunday 29th January 2023:  BBC4 has the BRB 'Don Quixote' from 7.45pm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• alison changed the title to BRB's Don Quixote in cinemas - and now on BBC4
20 minutes ago, jules_skichick said:

Any 9ne had any luck with a cast list??? Just realized cupid is actually danced by a (small) man ...... can't find any cast info . .any ideas please? Brandon Lawrence and Mathias dingman looking good

From BBC website

Credits

Role Contributor
Kitri Momoko Hirata
Basilio Mathias Dingman
Mercedes Yu Kurihara
Espada Brandon Lawrence
Don Quixote Tom Rogers
Sancho Panza Kit Holder
Gamache Rory Mackay
Music Ludwig Minkus
Music Arranger Hans Vercauteren
Director Carlos Acosta
Director Ross MacGibbon

Just wondering - did anyone see any trailers for this on the BBC?  I didn't - although to be fair I don't watch that much television.  I'm wondering how people are supposed to know it's on if they're not on BRB's mailing list/don't receive press releases.  I'm sure there would have been many people who would have liked to have seen it if they'd known - and probably quite a few who aren't even aware that BBC4 exists.

• Like 2

That was the best thing I've seen on TV for ages, it should have been on at Christmas.  So much fabulous non-stop dancing, actually quite exhausting to watch, let alone dance, looking forward to seeing it again tonight, thanks to the cast list above I'll know more of the dancer's names.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alison said:

- and probably quite a few who aren't even aware that BBC4 exists.

On the Sky listing, it is right next to BBC1 HD - though I see it most on my favourites list

I'm really annoyed with the BBC that they are putting BBC4 online instead of being properly broadcast. I watch it all the time!! I mean, putting BBC3 online, when its content is aimed at a tech savvy younger audience, didn't work. So why would they think the output on 4 that appeals generally to an older audience, can even vaguely be chalked up as a success?

Barstewards!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, alison said:

Just wondering - did anyone see any trailers for this on the BBC?  I didn't - although to be fair I don't watch that much television.  I'm wondering how people are supposed to know it's on if they're not on BRB's mailing list/don't receive press releases.  I'm sure there would have been many people who would have liked to have seen it if they'd known - and probably quite a few who aren't even aware that BBC4 exists.

I think BRB potentially missed a trick here.  It was advertised on both FB and IG (and presumably twitter) but there was nothing I could see on the web site and no PR either.  It seems that more and more companies are relying more and more on social media.  Certainly on FB I have to look up BRB as their posts do not usually show on my timeline even though I follow the page.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I'm really annoyed with the BBC that they are putting BBC4 online instead of being properly broadcast. I watch it all the time!! I mean, putting BBC3 online, when its content is aimed at a tech savvy younger audience, didn't work.

When BBC4 moves online, I thought is was going to be an on-demand service (ie iplayer) and the arts and culture programming was moving to BBC2, although how this will fit in with the snooker,tennis, etc schedule is anyones guess. If arts content does move to BC2, perhaps future ballet, etc programs will be more widely seen. I don't know what will happen to the foreign language series. Presumably the Beeb will do what Channel 4 does and just put most of them online.

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Sorry haven’t understood this…do you mean this Don Q wasn’t on just ordinary BBC 4 scheduled programmes? You had to go elsewhere to find it 🤔

It was shown as part of mainstream schedule for BBC4 free to view . I think the comment refers to future plans which I understand will move  BBC4 to an online platform, similar to how BBC3 used to be. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think BRB potentially missed a trick here.  It was advertised on both FB and IG (and presumably twitter) but there was nothing I could see on the web site and no PR either.  It seems that more and more companies are relying more and more on social media.  Certainly on FB I have to look up BRB as their posts do not usually show on my timeline even though I follow the page.

Radio Times featured it as one of the highlighted programmes of the day, but this is not going to attract a new audience .I think you’re right there could have been more promotional opportunities- BRB are normally quite astute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Sorry haven’t understood this…do you mean this Don Q wasn’t on just ordinary BBC 4 scheduled programmes? You had to go elsewhere to find it 🤔

no, it was on BBC4 alright.

In the near future, the BBC intend to stop broadcasting BBC4, and make it an archive only setup on the iPlayer, for documentaries etc. And there will be NO new content there at all

Seriously cheesed off license payer here, who was a staunch BBC defender until this 😞

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

So why would they think the output on 4 that appeals generally to an older audience, can even vaguely be chalked up as a success?

Barstewards!!

So they can say "Look we tried and no one watched" and have an excuse to kill BBC 4 altogether

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Radio Times featured it as one of the highlighted programmes of the day, but this is not going to attract a new audience .I think you’re right there could have been more promotional opportunities- BRB are normally quite astute.

It was featured/recommended in a couple of Sunday papers (I think).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

They're on the brb website somewhere, aren't they?

I cannot find anything on their website about Don Quixote itself (never mind a cast list) … maybe it’s somewhere in News but there isn’t a search function so who knows?

I did find info on the original film relay online … but that has NO CAST INFO not even the two leads.   Hopeless.  

https://www.donquixoteballetfilm.com/movie/don-quixote/synopsis-and-cast

Edited by FionaE
Grammar

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

@Jan McNulty can you source a full cast list  so we can learn about all these lovely dancers? 🤞

No, I can only say who I recognise.  I checked on the BRB website and the cast sheets don’t go back that far on BRB’s website.

I wasn’t at the performance that was filmed and dancers were switching around at the time due to Covid.

Here’s my post from February 2022 which would suggest it was recorded on 25 February. Apple genius managed to delete all my photos for that period so I no longer have the cast list. Apologies

Last night’s BRB Don Quixote (Hirata/Dingman/Lawrence/Kurihara) was being filmed for future broadcast. I chatted to one of the cameramen who, it turns out, regularly films these kind of productions (ROH, NT etc). He couldn’t confirm where or when it might appear. It could be streamed directly by BRB or broadcast by SkyArts or the BBC.
it was a delightfully sunny and joyous performance, improved and finessed immeasurably in so many subtle ways since I saw it in Southampton. 

I would like to know the name of the leading gypsy man 🙂, I'm having a difficult time trying put in some chapters to copy it from HDD to DVD, it is a great cast and production though, I like Cupid danced by a young man, and Don Q is nicer and more sane than usual.

Momoko Hirata is fantastic!

6 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I would like to know the name of the leading gypsy man 🙂, I'm having a difficult time trying put in some chapters to copy it from HDD to DVD, it is a great cast and production though, I like Cupid danced by a young man, and Don Q is nicer and more sane than usual.

Momoko Hirata is fantastic!

It's Javier Rojas and I think his partner is Emma Price.

• Like 2