Cost of living increases - impact on the arts (including dance)

I stumbled across a song - The Diamond Song - from a project we did a some years back.  The project was an initiative for British ex-offenders.  The music here written is by my late musical director, Tim Williams - a true genius if there ever was one - I do so miss him - and the lyrics are by Paul Laurence Dunbar.  Thought it might be apropos to this strand and that some hereabouts might enjoy it.  

• Like 2

More on this - impact on museums who might have planned to provide "warm banks" for those struggling to heat their homes

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/aug/31/uk-museums-rising-energy-costs-could-hamper-warm-banks-plan

"Museums have said they will struggle to provide “warm banks” planned for people priced out of heating their homes, because their own soaring bills threaten opening restrictions and closures this winter."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lynette H said:

More on this - impact on museums who might have planned to provide "warm banks" for those struggling to heat their homes

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/aug/31/uk-museums-rising-energy-costs-could-hamper-warm-banks-plan

"Museums have said they will struggle to provide “warm banks” planned for people priced out of heating their homes, because their own soaring bills threaten opening restrictions and closures this winter."

I fear the same is going to be true of anywhere else that has been "volunteered" to be a "warm space", whether it be churches, libraries, schools or whatever.  Who is going to cover their energy bills?  I know one local church is open a lot of the time, and thought that would be a good place for people to go, but then I realised the reason it's open so much of the time is because it works with vulnerable adults - and there may therefore be safeguarding considerations which may mean that they can't simply be mixed with other people who decide to wander in to keep warm.  It's a bit of a nightmare all round.

• Thanks 1

Following up on rising ticket prices in general, I see that the top price for Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty, the Christmas show at Sadler's is £85 in the stalls which is much more than I remember (though I can't recall a precise figure). The top price for Bat Out of Hell at the Peacock is £95.  Yes, there are cheaper tickets available of course. 

Elsewhere Guys and Dolls at the Bridge Theatre next year has a maximum price of £125 (much cheaper seats are available in the gallery). 

Not very cheering is it. 

• Thanks 1

It's the same for all leisure venues - pubs, gig venues (especially the grass roots venues), small theatres etc etc. The ol' leccy bill is going to be nobbling them all come the new year. If they raise prices to try and maintain their living, people simply won't have the cash to buy tickets (let alone half time refreshments).

Sadly, there is much talk at the moment of the energy bill crisis doing in far more venues than the pandemic did 😞

• Like 1

I wonder whether, in hindsight, theatres may regret the amount they've raised prices during the last 10-15 years. Especially in the West End, with the introduction & rapid spread of premium seats, prices have gone up so much while inflation has been very low. Now, when inflation means they actually need to raise prices to pay their bills, are they going to find that much of their customer base has already got to their limit & can't afford even more expensive tickets.

• Like 2

There is a very interesting, not to say alarming, article in today's Guardian. It's not in today's Links, understandably as it never mentions ballet or even the ROH, although it refers to very many orchestras and theatres. I'm technically challenged so can't give a link but it's by Charlotte Higgins, 'England's arts funding is a thin gruel that satisfies no one'. The killing comparison she makes is that " Eat out to help out cost £849M for one month. What a grotesque contrast to the £341M a year for arts bodies".

Amongst other points she makes is the assertion that major arts organisations can't just rely on private donors, instead of government subsidy, as it is the certainty that public funding will ensure the continuance of large arts organisations that "allows them to leverage donations and sponsorship and funding from charitable trusts".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

There is a very interesting, not to say alarming, article in today's Guardian. It's not in today's Links, understandably as it never mentions ballet or even the ROH, although it refers to very many orchestras and theatres. I'm technically challenged so can't give a link but it's by Charlotte Higgins, 'England's arts funding is a thin gruel that satisfies no one'. The killing comparison she makes is that " Eat out to help out cost £849M for one month. What a grotesque contrast to the £341M a year for arts bodies".

Amongst other points she makes is the assertion that major arts organisations can't just rely on private donors, instead of government subsidy, as it is the certainty that public funding will ensure the continuance of large arts organisations that "allows them to leverage donations and sponsorship and funding from charitable trusts".

Thanks Sheila. Here’s the link:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/02/arts-funding-england-government-levelling-up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They could start by not having the heating up at full blast in so many theatre and concert hall auditoriums, especially when the shows are sold out or near sold out. Save the powerful heating for the dancers and singers backstage! And perhaps use softer lighting (lower wattage) and low energy bulbs. Install more solar panels. Many solutions also help the planet and slow down climate change, which will benefit all of us. 

• Like 1