Royal Ballet Lower School Auditions 2013

tutucute22

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many congratulations to all who have been succesful, what a fantastic achievement. Just wondering those who auditioned for year 7 places, how much ballet/ dance have they done? Thanks

A question for JA Dad, who has been so helpful so far. Did your DD do her year 7 in a ballet vocational school, or did she go to a "normal" school and then took ballet classes in her spare time, as well as doing her MA classes with the RB? Difficult to know what to do in the interim between a "no" for year 7 WL and the next attempt for year 8. I am sure other members will have experience of this situation, and apologies in advance if this is not the right place to raise this question, as I am a brand new member!

Hi Piglet, 

A lot of children who receive a 'No' for Y7 will remain at local academic and dance schools before reauditioning next year.  

Looking at workshops/EYB/summer schools/Associates/CAT schemes are all a good way of boosting up the hours of training and getting a wider experience.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Thank you BankruptMum! We were just wondering whether dance lessons in the PM after school will be enough to retain that level of training that is required to even have a chance for year 8 entry (or even after year 8), particularly given that at secondary school children become much busier with homework, and school is generally more demanding. At the same time, it is hard to find a vocational school that is also strong on the academic side, and as parents we do feel that getting a good education at this stage of life is also very important.

I wish it wasn't so agonising to make choices on behalf of a daughter whose dream is ballet, and who has shown so much commitment, as well as some potential, as far as I can tell, myself knowing very little about ballet, until now at least! 

Help!!!

• Like 1

Hi Piglet,

Are you just asking about reauditioning for WL in Y8 or are you casting the net wider - Elmhurst, Hammond, Tring, YDA etc?

If WL is the goal, it is worth bearing in mind that there are very few places available in Y8 (as they tend not to assess out in Y7 - thank goodness - although I think one poor soul did lose their place this year) - so might be better making a 2-3 year game plan as there are more spaces available in Y9 & 10.

Good luck to your DD!

Hi Piglet welcome to the forum. If your DD is an Associate she will be getting some very good lessons along with her local dance school, so apart from your expenses what have you got to lose by her auditioning next year. You just never know there might be a place or places available just like this year. It's impossible for RBS to get it right every time, so unfortunately there will be girls and boys being assessed out from time to time for whatever reason, so there's always hope Piglet.

Hi all, and thank you for making me feel so welcome. My DD is currently a JA, waiting to hear about MA, although I understand that even getting that is very hard. She wants to carry on seriously with ballet, so I'm not only thinking about year 8 entry but also further along the line. I am wondering whether, in your experience, Associate classes and afternoon ballet classes combined with attending a local, non vocational school, are good enough to hope to eventually get a place not just in WL, but also for example Elmhurst and other comparable vocational schools, with the goal of becoming a professional dancer.

Well in my opinion Piglet, there's very very little to choose between the yes's and the nay's for WL year 7, and I would say it's far too early to think too far ahead at this stage. Many a dancer has come good further down the line after suffering knock backs, and the same goes the other way too. Many MA's have succeeded in gaining places at upper school and going on to become Professionals, but personally I would say the percentage would be higher from a vocational school, as they put many more hours of very good training in. I would take a gamble and say there will probably be dancers out there who haven't even started yet, who could come good in such a short time. Some other forum members will hopefully give you more assurance Piglet, as this is only my opinion.

• Like 2

Hi Piglet,

It sounds like you're in a very similar situation to that in which we found ourselves last year. Our DD got an MA place after a 'No' from WL finals and continued with just an additional 2 or 3 local classes a week (albeit with an outstanding ex-RBS teacher) whilst moving up to the local comprehensive for her academics.

It remains to be seen how difficult it will be for her to fit in with a year group who have already had a years full-time vocational training but looking back, I think even she would agree that she wasn't quite ready last year. 

There's no doubt that the MA classes, her local teacher and a week at WL summer school have all contributed but in truth she has simply matured mentally and as a result, blossomed as a dancer over the past 12 months. I'm sure that different children will mature and fully realise their potential at different ages and that the level and quantity of training at this stage is not necessarily the most important factor.

I am, however, by no means an expert and have only my own limited experiences to draw upon. The best advice I can give is to listen to the wise words of others on this forum, there's a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Good luck to your DD with that MA place and whatever future opportunities come her way.

• Like 2

Hi all, and thank you for making me feel so welcome. My DD is currently a JA, waiting to hear about MA, although I understand that even getting that is very hard. She wants to carry on seriously with ballet, so I'm not only thinking about year 8 entry but also further along the line. I am wondering whether, in your experience, Associate classes and afternoon ballet classes combined with attending a local, non vocational school, are good enough to hope to eventually get a place not just in WL, but also for example Elmhurst and other comparable vocational schools, with the goal of becoming a professional dancer.

Its perfectly possible. Ive had students join vocational school later than year 7.

Some of the most successful dancers in my sons year at WL din't start til year 10.

I sometimes envied their parents who had thus been spared the expense of sending their dcs from year 7- they also escaped the stress of appraisals as once you get to year 10 you are safe!

• Like 4

Thank you JA Dad, what you are saying is very reassuring. Our DD has a place in our local comprehensive, but we hesitate in that we feel her ballet training might suffer with just her local ballet classes (she is doing 4 a week at the moment, plus hopefully MA, and we are also trying to get RB summer course), given that what she really wants to do is ballet. On the other hand, education is very important for children at this age, so we have been struggling trying to find the right balance. I am so relieved that your DD did more or less what we are envisaging to do for ours, and she has been so successful, although she is obviously very gifted to start with.

Also i am so relieved to have found this forum, with so much experience to draw upon, both from parents and teachers and DCs (and grandparents). Thank you all for your advice, you sometimes feel lost in this very complicated ballet world!

• Like 3

Im afraid of a no for my DD, it will knock her, does it explain shes not suitable for the training they offer but keep up the good work anyway? or  say she danced very well? Is it short and sweet? So hard to pick kids up after knocks!!! 

Stretcher - how did it go in the end? (hope I haven't missed a comment from you between then and now)

Thank you JA Dad, what you are saying is very reassuring. Our DD has a place in our local comprehensive, but we hesitate in that we feel her ballet training might suffer with just her local ballet classes (she is doing 4 a week at the moment, plus hopefully MA, and we are also trying to get RB summer course), given that what she really wants to do is ballet. On the other hand, education is very important for children at this age, so we have been struggling trying to find the right balance. I am so relieved that your DD did more or less what we are envisaging to do for ours, and she has been so successful, although she is obviously very gifted to start with.

Also i am so relieved to have found this forum, with so much experience to draw upon, both from parents and teachers and DCs (and grandparents). Thank you all for your advice, you sometimes feel lost in this very complicated ballet world!

Hi Piglet,

Its very easy to think your daughter will be 'falling behind' if not at vocational school.  Although spaces are very limited in older years this is due to bed availability and funding issues rather than lack of suitable students, it could be a mistake to be continually chasing a standard to maintain when you dont really know what that standard is (does that make sense??).  The very fact that your DD was at WL finals demonstrates she has a huge bundle of potential and perhaps just not suitable this year.  As has been mentioned above age 11 is still very young and a little maturity sometimes helps.

Any workshops / competitions she can become involved in will help improve her awareness, expressive qualities and allow her to perform; this opportunity is very lacking at vocational schools so will be a bonus.  BRB do some great Insight Days which are advertised on their web pages.  RAD / ISTD ballet awards, Janet Cram etc., are lovely to be involved in too.

Fingers crossed with regards to the MA place, there are other Associates which could perhaps work alongside that, Ballet Cymru only do one class per month on a Sunday so is a good top up and an introduction into contemporary as well, Laine have an Associates, Central and lots of other schools depending on what part of the country you are in and what interests your daughter has.

Its surprising how they find to fit school in!

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 1

In trying to work out why Elmhurst send their results so late, I'm wondering what date WL places have to be accepted by? Do parents have to accept before Elmhurst results come through?

On another thread some Elmhurst results are out today! I know some Elmhurst auditions were later than the first final.

Do you live near a ballet CAT scheme?

Hi Eloise please, so sorry i don't know what a CAT scheme is! And BankruptMum, many thanks for the advice. We live in London, do you know anything about Associates classes at Central, are they any good? Is there anything else worth considering?

http://www.nationaldancecats.co.uk/

I only know about the Northern Ballet CAT scheme but it is professional training for kids aged 10-16 (plus?) 8-16 hours of dance training a week designed for children who want to train to dance professionally but don't want /can't get into vocational training. I guess Leeds is too far for you if you are near London though! ;/

Someone else might know about the schemes down south!

• Like 1