Royal Ballet Spring Casting 2022 - and booking

Guest oncnp

15 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Have I got it right they are filming 2 different casts? I don't understand this as I thought the idea of filming twice was to do a bit if a mix and match if something went wrong with a performance.

Perhaps, in this instance, so that they can stream casts that may not be dancing on the same night for one or more parts of the triple bill.

• Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Me too. I was hoping their performance would have been filmed as he was terrific with Hayward last time.

Have I got it right they are filming 2 different casts? I don't understand this as I thought the idea of filming twice was to do a bit if a mix and match if something went wrong with a performance. Do we know which cast is being streamed? I would love to see Vadim in Month in the Country filmed but also Hayward and Sambe in Rhapsody. I can see my entire annual ballet budget going on this one production as its the train and hotel costs as well as the tickets as I've got to see Morera as well. 

I think the earlier date could just be a camera rehearsal and only the cast on later date is having their performance streamed. 

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Do we know which cast is being streamed? 

According to the website......(and as of right now, of course) 

Saturday 23 April 2022 7.30pm

Scènes de ballet - Yasmine Naghdi, Alexander Campbell

A Month in the Country - Lauren Cuthbertson, Vadim Muntagirov

Rhapsody - Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Steven McRae

Friday 29 April 2022 7.30pm

Scènes de ballet - Sarah Lamb, Vadim Muntagirov

A Month in the Country - Marianela Nuñez, Matthew Ball

Rhapsody - Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambé

Scènes de ballet / A Month in the Country / Rhapsody (roh.org.uk)

Edited by oncnp

Just done a quick count, looks like Morera is the only dancer who gets a single performance?

Absolutely no disrespect to the other dancers cast in the same role, and I am sure they will be magnificent.  However, some of them get cast in absolutely everything anyway, so it doesn't seem quite fair that she should be the dancer who gets just the one opportunity.  

• Like 15

12 hours ago, capybara said:

I believe that the 29th April performance is the one which will have the relay/streaming.

Oh dear so I'll miss out on Vadim's Month in the Country as a livestream. I've been wanting an opportunity to see him perform this at a livestream where I can watch it multiple times, since I saw his performance in the last run. I'll just have to see as many as I can live. I thought they would go for this casting as McRae was filmed in Rhapsody last time so it didn't make sense to film him again. I'm sure Sambe will be splendid but I still hanker after a Hayward/Hay Rhapsody as they were so amazing last time.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Oh dear so I'll miss out on Vadim's Month in the Country as a livestream. I've been wanting an opportunity to see him perform this at a livestream where I can watch it multiple times, since I saw his performance in the last run. I'll just have to see as many as I can live.

Muntagirov only has two shows of Month, unfortunately. I agree that he was absolutely outstanding last time (and in his Instagram jokey version with his parents near to their real dacha!).

There is an embarassment of riches in the casting of Month this coming April but the performances are all so squashed together.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

If I could I'd take the week off and book myself into a London hotel for it!

I'm seriously thinking of a house exchange for at least some of the Ashton performances. We used to do it every year in the early 2000s for when the Kirov (as they were then) came in the summer and it worked out really great. We had a lovely flat in North London, our elderly dog could come too and it saved a fortune on hotel and transport costs. Also our elderly exchanger had a 2 week holiday every year. We still do exchanges but haven't done any in London for a while. Perhaps it's time to start again, especially as both Ashton weekends are public holidays so transport will be disrupted and accommodation expensive. 

• Like 3

Oh humbug, to echo others’ comments - why only one performance for Morera! And if that was the only one, why not pick that for a livestream (and hopeful DVD release?). 

delighted with the triple and the casting all round looks good but very annoyed that Morera only has one performance. Guess you can’t win them all…

I will be intrigued to see how well the modern triple compares to the Ashton, I hope both sell well for the sake of ROH but part of me hopes if the Ashton one sells incredibly rare and comparatively much better we’ll see more of them in future! 

• Like 5

I was reflecting last night that the Ashton triple bill is probably the sort of programme which is far easier to Covid-proof than The Nutcracker, or Swan Lake or similar, given that they all involve smaller numbers.  What a shame it's taking place in the late spring/early summer, by which time I hope Covid will be less of a problem again :(  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Booking packages information 

Booking packages

For the Spring 2022 programme, you can only buy packages over the phone. Just call the Box Office on +44 (0)20 7304 4000 (Monday–Saturday 10am–6pm) to book from 25 January. 

Total Opera Package

20% off top four prices in the Orchestra Stalls and Stalls Circle.

12% off top four prices in the Amphitheatre. 

Must include all of the following productions: Peter Grimes, Lohengrin, Don Pasquale and Samson et Dalila.

Excludes: all performances of La traviata, and amphitheatre tickets for Don Pasquale on 9 May.

Design-Your-Own

10% off top four prices in the Orchestra Stalls and Stalls Circle.

5% off top four prices in the Amphitheatre. 

Choose a minimum of 3 productions from: Peter Grimes, New Kyle Abraham / Solo Echo / DGV: Danse à grande vitesse, Don Pasquale and Samson et Dalila.

Excludes: all performances of La traviata, and amphitheatre tickets for Don Pasquale on 9 May.

No ballet-only package and the Ashton triple not included??

Edited by oncnp

4 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see where the seating plans and prices are now. Or have they stopped giving this information?

La traviata seems to be the only Spring performance currently showing a pre-sale seat map. Perhaps they will post one after Friends booking starts next week?  The seat map is part of the new checkout process so maybe they didn't want to put it up twice.

36 minutes ago, oncnp said:

La traviata seems to be the only Spring performance currently showing a pre-sale seat map. Perhaps they will post one after Friends booking starts next week?  The seat map is part of the new checkout process so maybe they didn't want to put it up twice.

Thank you - hope it appears as it's useful to know how much I've got to find!

Just a reminder of booking dates:

General: 22 February 2022, 9am
Friends: 8 February 2022, 9am
Young Friends: 8 February 2022, 9am
Friends+: 3 February 2022, 9am
Supporting Friends: 1 February 2022, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 27 January 2022, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 25 January 2022, 9am
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Very pleased to see Leticia Dias looks set to be Siegfried's Sister, Neopolitan dancer and Spanish Princess in the upcoming Swan Lake

Oh really. Has she posted that somewhere? Good news!

[I've just seen her Instagram story.]

Edited by capybara

Winter Draft Works is now Spring Draft Works...

Due to ongoing challenges caused by the pandemic, we have had to postpone this production from 5–8 February to 4 and 5 April 2022. It will now be called Spring Draft Works to reflect this change and will take place in the Linbury Theatre (instead of the Clore Studio as originally advertised).

Spring Draft Works (roh.org.uk)

The top of the page says 3–4 April 2022 so not sure which one it is......

Edited by oncnp

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

Winter Draft Works is now Spring Draft Works...

Due to ongoing challenges caused by the pandemic, we have had to postpone this production from 5–8 February to 4 and 5 April 2022. It will now be called Spring Draft Works to reflect this change and will take place in the Linbury Theatre (instead of the Clore Studio as originally advertised).

Spring Draft Works (roh.org.uk)

The top of the page says 3–4 April 2022 so not sure which one it is......

the three Winter Drafts dates in the Clore, have become two in Linbury. As I understand it, ticket holders for the Winter ones, offered first dibs on the Spring ones as a direct swop (to whatever date(s) you can make)

On 17/12/2021 at 18:32, Lizbie1 said:

I think there might be a good turnout from these parts - and can't help fearing that this could be her farewell.

ETA: lovely that she's paired with Bonelli, especially after their unexpected Giselles.

It turns out I shouldn't just have been worrying about Morera:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Before I start booking trains and hotels- can we assume that the Month he is doing with Morera on 30 April will be his farewell with RB? He starts at Northern Ballet the following week.

The ROH announcement just says, "Details of Bonelli’s final performance with The Royal Ballet will be announced in due course." 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

The ROH announcement just says, "Details of Bonelli’s final performance with The Royal Ballet will be announced in due course." 

I wonder if this is a mere formality or an indication of some change of plans? Bonelli had a wonderful season, stepping in and dancing leadings roles like Albrecht and Romeo more than any other male principal dancer this year. Plus he led the secondary cast of The Dante's Project. Ending such a brilliant season and career dancing Beliaev in the middle of a triptych feels slightly anticlimatic, as opposed to, for instance, having his last show as Siegfried in Swan Lake. I guess we'll see!

Edited by AnticaFiamma
  • Like 1