I really enjoyed watching this again last night (having seen it on opening night, and then once with the alternate cast).  I watched it with my Dante scholar of a husband...and I got so much more out of it.  I found the original cast sheet, so as I told him what each section was, he gave me the context in the Divine Comedy of who/what everything was, what Dante had to say, what the meanings were, etc. etc.  I felt very lucky to have this live commentary as it really enhanced my appreciation of the work.  Act 3 still drags a bit for me, but I can't fault the superlative dancing on display.

Regarding the end of the ballet....if I remember correctly, as Dante walks towards the front of the stage 'into the stars and the light', bars of light appeared across the front of the stage as he walks towards the audience.  This did not come across on the broadcast last night...and it's a shame as I thought it was very effective.

• Like 3

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

It turns out that with my recorder it does matter!

I was surprised that in the final act he danced so much with Hamilton and Lamb mostly danced with Hirano. I had expected Watson & Lamb to dance together for most of Act III. Given Beatrice is the love of Dante's life, I'd expect that when he finally got to paradise his idea of paradise would be to be with her as much as possible.

It’ll still be on iPlayer, for a while at least.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

It turns out that with my recorder it does matter!

I was surprised that in the final act he danced so much with Hamilton and Lamb mostly danced with Hirano. I had expected Watson & Lamb to dance together for most of Act III. Given Beatrice is the love of Dante's life, I'd expect that when he finally got to paradise his idea of paradise would be to be with her as much as possible.

Yes, I  found this puzzling, but but no less enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 00:51, alison said:

Sometime when I have nothing more pressing to do, I may go through the recording and list all the dancers Watson doesn't partner/dance with.  I was originally going to list all the ones he did, but I've come to the conclusion that the list of the ones he didn't will be shorter.

I originally meant to comment on that that it seemed to me distinctly valedictory - which may of course have been entirely what was intended.

• Like 1

I managed to record this in mode LP instead of the usual SP which means less good quality, so really looking forward to a Blu Ray which I'm sure won't be long!

My first reaction was slight disappointment, I think the purpose was for a continuous ballet without applause breaks, the solo's merged into the action then disappeared, most of all I missed a major pdd in each Act, the first one with Fumi Kaneko was good but over so quickly, and the big one I thought was coming with Sarah Lamb didn't happen, some beautiful movements though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I managed to record this in mode LP instead of the usual SP which means less good quality, so really looking forward to a Blu Ray which I'm sure won't be long!

If past history is any indication, it usually takes about a year. With pandemic may be longer. 

Fumi and Sarah Lamb were standouts, but I strongly disliked the music (and its lack of connection to chorey) and the set, which in the third part looked utterly amateur hour, almost like a school dance recital. A fine ensemble cast, but I am amazed someone as adept in modern dance as Natalia Osipova was underutilised in that way. I will be deleting this one off the box, I think.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Edward Watson just received an Olivier Award nomination for his performance

But no nomination for the production itself

• 2 months later...

I live in Los Angeles, saw both performances of Inferno when premiered at the Los Angeles Music Center in July of 2019, then five performances of The Dante Project at The Royal Opera House last October, and two performances of the music with the L.A. Philharmonic two weekends ago with Dudamel conducting (and I am planning to see the Paris Opera Ballet dance it at the Palais Garnier in May of 2023).   It was a huge thrill to hear the music played in concert.  I also spoke with Adès before the Saturday performance and was able to thank him for his wonderful music, which, for me, is so full of meaning. 

I am coming to London in June to see the first four performances of Like Water for Chocolate, which was an unforgettable movie.  It's great to be able to travel again. 

• Like 4