Young ROH Scheme

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-launches-young-roh-scheme-for-16-25-year-olds

Very pleased to see this. I have very fond memories of being a Junior Associate Friend getting on for 50 years ago now. Vouchers then which made seats affordable - I think just 50p in the Slips. Many wonderful performances and I do hope the scheme is a great success.

• Like 4

Agree it is an excellent incentive.  Surprised they are excluding The Nutcracker as I would imagine that would be of special interest to younger people to share with members of their own generation.  I do understand the commercial aspect ... but surprised they were not willing to make SOME available - even as a token towards the fulfilment of their stated goals in this allurement; especially as it is one on whose back I would imagine they have got substantive funding from philanthropic sources.    

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, JohnS said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-launches-young-roh-scheme-for-16-25-year-olds

Very pleased to see this. I have very fond memories of being a Junior Associate Friend getting on for 50 years ago now. Vouchers then which made seats affordable - I think just 50p in the Slips. Many wonderful performances and I do hope the scheme is a great success.

Yes, my JA vouchers were invaluable. (But they made tickets cheap enough to be able to go to multiple performances - even when I was still at school and the only money I had came from a Saturday job - which is unlikely to be the case with £25.)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Does this replace Student Standby, do we know?  Wondering if my daughter needs to sign up for this as a separate entity.

"Young ROH replaces our Student scheme. If you were part of our Student scheme and you are aged 16 to 25 you will automatically be given Young ROH membership."

Edited to provide link for above quote:

https://www.roh.org.uk/ticket-deals/young-roh

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, alison said:

So, no provision for mature students any more?

Yes strange, as I attended a focus group a while back commenting that NYCB had discount for under 40s. ENO now has increased its age range to under 35s, each age category staggered pricing.

Thanks for the info and have to say I am really surprised and immensely grateful as I fit into the scheme. What an overwhelming week this has been with me rebooking/changing tickets around 3 times now, mainly due to my confusion with the booking packages (Design your Own Amphitheatre vs Total Ballet anyone?) Once I found out about this bombshell announcement out of the blue today, I knew I had to change my tickets once again! 

However with the interactive seating plan not working, I would like to once again ask the wise members of this Forum for quite a last-minute question: If given the option, would it be best to book seats in Orchestra Stalls or the Balcony (or both)? Specifically, I am thinking of booking 2 out of the following (1 each) for Romeo & Juliet and Giselle:

1. 1st row/2nd row Orchestra Stalls
  2. Row E to S middle block (most expensive tier) Orchestra Stalls
  3. 1st row/2nd row Balcony -- am a bit worried about this as I recall there are guard rails which seem to be quite obstructive, and I can't figure where they are...

Bearing in mind am quite short in stature, only 5'1 inch in height... Will try to finalize tickets by tomorrow morning before they get sold out!

Also, when was the last time this Young ROH Scheme was live? (As I can't remember a similar initiative in recent years, but what an amazing scheme to restart!)

Edited by Marie

21 minutes ago, Marie said:

Thanks for the info and have to say I am really surprised and immensely grateful as I fit into the scheme. What an overwhelming week this has been with me rebooking/changing tickets around 3 times now, mainly due to my confusion with the booking packages (Design your Own Amphitheatre vs Total Ballet anyone?) Once I found out about this bombshell announcement out of the blue today, I knew I had to change my tickets once again! 

However with the interactive seating plan not working, I would like to once again ask the wise members of this Forum for quite a last-minute question: If given the option, would it be best to book seats in Orchestra Stalls or the Balcony (or both)? Specifically, I am thinking of booking 2 out of the following (1 each) for Romeo & Juliet and Giselle:

3. 1st row/2nd row Balcony -- am a bit worried about this as I recall there are guard rails which seem to be quite obstructive, and I can't figure where they are...

Bearing in mind am quite short in stature, only 5'1 inch in height... Will try to finalize tickets by tomorrow morning before they get sold out!

Also, when was the last time this Young ROH Scheme was live? (As I can't remember a similar initiative in recent years, but what an amazing scheme to restart!)

I think if you are in the first (or second) row of the Balcony but fairly central then you should be fine. Unlike the Grand Tier as you move away from the centre in the Balcony the rail etc starts to impede the view quite considerably. Personally I prefer the front two rows of either the Grand Tier or the Balcony as I can be sure of an unimpeded view. Having said that, in the many times I have sat in the Stalls I can't recall having much of a problem (and I speak as someone who isn't that tall).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marie said:

It depends what's important to you - being near and seeing facial expressions or seeing 'the whole picture'.

You won't be able to see feet from the first few rows of the Orchestra Stalls.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I've sat near the front of the orchestra stalls a (very!) few times and have had heads blocking my view quite badly (and I'm 5' 9"). Further back may be more reliable - I don't know. 

I've sat further back occasionally and have found the rake inadequate to prevent heads in front blocking the view.  I'm 5'7" (or was - might be shrinking with age).

• Like 1

Strange how some of the most expensive seats offer the worst view. Beware the most central seats in Stalls Circle. I sat there once and there were a couple of fairly tall.people in the back row of the stalls. My view was very much impeded. Interesting that these problems only arose after the major refurbishment of the auditorium. My seat of choice used to be Row A stalls. Perfect view - feet and all! 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Interesting that these problems only arose after the major refurbishment of the auditorium.

I'm still scratching my head about how they apparently neglected to consider sightlines for the new Linbury. Does anyone know if they've made any improvements to this while things have been largely closed? Some (I think?) fairly simple tweaks to the angle of the side seats could make a big difference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm still scratching my head about how they apparently neglected to consider sightlines for the new Linbury. Does anyone know if they've made any improvements to this while things have been largely closed? Some (I think?) fairly simple tweaks to the angle of the side seats could make a big difference.

You made me laugh, Lizbie1.  I remember going into the revamped Linbury for the first time within an hour of its public opening.  I was there with a friend of mine who was visiting London for the first time.  I went to look at the standing positions on the sides - given that they had been hugely reduced in number from the previous set-up and now hidden behind seats.  I couldn't see anything of significance from the position I was standing at which was most awkward.  Alex Beard came into the auditorium with someone he was showing the new space to.  He casually came over and asked what I thought - obviously thinking I would gushingly impress his companion.  I politely remarked - trying to be generous -  that I liked the use and choice of wood very much but that I couldn't see the stage from that position.  He came over and stood there.  Looking back at me he said, 'Yes, but it's such great value'.  Speaks for itself I think. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

You made me laugh, Lizbie1.  I remember going into the revamped Linbury for the first time within an hour of its public opening.  I was there with a friend of mine who was visiting London for the first time.  I went to look at the standing positions on the sides - given that they had been hugely reduced in number from the previous set-up and now hidden behind seats.  I couldn't see anything of significance from the position I was standing at which was most awkward.  Alex Beard came into the auditorium with someone he was showing the new space to.  He casually came over and asked what I thought - obviously think I would impress his companion.  I said - trying to be generous -  that I liked the use and choice of wood very much but that I couldn't see the stage from that position.  He came over and stood there.  Looking back at me he said, 'Yes, but it's such great value'.  Speaks for itself I think. 

How funny, and bless him for saying that! I don't mean to knock him because I think his heart is in the right place, but you'd have thought he'd have tried these things for size himself before then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

Strange how some of the most expensive seats offer the worst view. Beware the most central seats in Stalls Circle. I sat there once and there were a couple of fairly tall.people in the back row of the stalls. My view was very much impeded. Interesting that these problems only arose after the major refurbishment of the auditorium.

Yes, funny, that.  I guess it was to improve the rake in the stalls.  Back pre-closure (i.e. last century) sometime I was in the rear stalls and having a discussion with someone in the front row of the stalls circle, and my memory of it is that he was quite a bit higher up than I was.

• 2 weeks later...

@MJW@capybara@bridiem@AnneMarriott@ninamargaretMany thanks for your insights and advice!! Very informative and helpful, thank you!! I have decided to go for A7 in Orchestra Stalls (first row) for Romeo and Juliet, and first row Balcony for Giselle! In hindsight I am slightly worried about not being able to see feet/the full picture for R&J, but am keeping my hopes up as it is Kenneth MacMillan and one of the most dramatic ballets.  

• Like 3