Books about ballet and famous dancers

Confuddled

Can anyone recommend some books about ballet? Dd has the ballet encyclopaedia, but she’s looking for some more - particularly anything about famous current or recent dancers. Could anyone recommend some? She’s reading at an adult level, but she’s 12, autobiographies that are too graphic wouldn’t be suitable.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Misty Copeland's autobiography "Life in Motion". 

Michaela de Prince "Hope in a Ballet Shoe"

Li Cunxin "Mao's Last Dancer"

All of these come in Young Reader editions.

I love David Hallberg's book Body of Work but that might be better for older readers.

• Like 2

Ooh, thank you! She doens’t need Young Reader per se (she’s happily reading things like Jane Eyre) but I would prefer to avoid anything with really upsetting / mature content which apparently the first few chapters of Hope in a Ballet Shoe do contain (based on the reviews I’ve read).

Edited by Confuddled

I can't immediately see that we have any appropriate threads in Doing Dance - at least, none which have been tagged with "books" - but the one below looks like the main one in the main part of the forum:

Alternatively, click on the "books" tag which I've added, and see what that brings up.

• Like 1

A super book is Jennifer Homans' Apollo's Angels. In addition to being a most fascinating history of ballet in many different European countries, Britain, Denmark, Russia, America, it contains much about the cultural and general history of the individual countries. Therefore, I would consider it most appropriate, informative, and interesting reading for a intelligent 12 year old. Glad to hear that she has read Jane Eyre. Watching the films or tv dramatisations of the story do not even approach the greatness of the actual novel.

• Like 2

Just added to my list for my school library .. it's a tough one, good readers want the full version but, for example, I have limited Misty Copeland's autobiography to older readers.

Not a biography, and not particularly challenging but the Peril en Pointe books are great fun - a new one has just been published.

• Like 1

There are some lovely photographic books out there, but in terms of fairly recently published titles about the world of ballet, very little. There are also relatively few ballet biographies being published these days - more from America. I assume it’s the Dorling Kindersley one that you mean by ‘the ballet encyclopaedia’. If not it is definitely the one to get. It’s the one which Viviana Durante contributed to and is an excellent all round book. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

Avoid Hope in a Ballet Shoe, then - the first chapter is stomach-churning.

We already have a thread or two on books, so I'm going to find them and merge this one.

Does the young reader version tone it down though? (I would assume it would.)

10 hours ago, jonac said:

A super book is Jennifer Homans' Apollo's Angels. In addition to being a most fascinating history of ballet in many different European countries, Britain, Denmark, Russia, America, it contains much about the cultural and general history of the individual countries. Therefore, I would consider it most appropriate, informative, and interesting reading for a intelligent 12 year old. Glad to hear that she has read Jane Eyre. Watching the films or tv dramatisations of the story do not even approach the greatness of the actual novel.

If she's to read that one, she should try reading around the subject elsewhere as well: some of what Ms Homans wrote has been deemed quite controversial, so a wider range of opinions should be sought.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Just added to my list for my school library .. it's a tough one, good readers want the full version but, for example, I have limited Misty Copeland's autobiography to older readers.

Not a biography, and not particularly challenging but the Peril en Pointe books are great fun - a new one has just been published.

What’s in Misty Copeland’s autobiography that might not be suitable? I had a look at some reviews and didn’t spot anything, so I had planned to get it.

Peril en Pointe does sound fun - I think she’ll complain its too young for her, then secretly read it and love it 🙂

15 hours ago, Kanangra said:

If looking for fiction what about Noel Streatfield -  Ballet Shoes - and I think there was another one Ballet Shoes for Anna? or something like that.

She’s read that, and all the other Noel Streatfeilds as well. 

12 hours ago, alison said:

If she's to read that one, she should try reading around the subject elsewhere as well: some of what Ms Homans wrote has been deemed quite controversial, so a wider range of opinions should be sought.

That’s useful to know, thanks! What else would you recommend? And how come it’s controversial?

Misty Copeland has a "gritty" (ie age 13+ in my library!) opening.  But as a school librarian I have to err on the side of caution.  lovereading4kids, btw, rates hope in a ballet shoe as 13+ - and the younger version as 11+.  This is  one of my go-to sites for books by age.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Confuddled said:

That’s useful to know, thanks! What else would you recommend? And how come it’s controversial?

Unfortunately, Apollo's Angels came out in 2010, so the discussion would have been on the forerunner of this forum (being UK-based, I think people here took greater exception to her comments, which I think came across as a bit what you might call Balanchine-worship, and her lack of appreciation of various other choreographers, for a start.  Also, having skimmed this thread, I'm reminded that she appeared to have a very narrow definition of what she deemed ballet to be - rather like people who don't believe that painting should be ugly) but you can get some idea from the discussion here:

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/32852-apollos-angels-by-jennifer-homans/page/3/

A fairly recent title for youngsters is No Ballet Shoes in Syria by Catherine Bruton. Can highly recommend this.

In the previous thread I suggested Dance of Shadows and Dance of Fire both by Yelena Black.

I wouldn’t rule out Hope in a Ballet Shoe. Yes, the opening is quite hard hitting, but it is handled well and ultimately the book is uplifting and I am  sure would appeal to a young teenager. 

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1

@Confuddled - I hope your dd can soon learn to appreciate books that she feels are too young for her.  There are so many wonderful children's books it is a shame to limit yourself to your reading age.  I regularly read children's books for pleasure, and can thoroughly recommend No Ballet Shoes in Syria as @Odyssey has.  It deals with the harrowing issue of asylum seekers in a very age appropriate way.  And of course has lots of ballet in it :)

• Like 2

Another fiction series is Lorna Hill's Sadler's Wells books. The earlier books in the series were written while the author's daughter was at the Sadler's Wells ballet school in the late 40s/early 50s so presumably have a reasonable degree of accuracy as to learning ballet at that time & they mention some of the real-life dancers of the time. They certainly make me wish the RB would revive some of the ballets from that time that they've not done for a while, such as Job & Checkmate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

They certainly make me wish the RB would revive some of the ballets from that time that they've not done for a while, such as Job & Checkmate.

That's a point: Kevin O'Hare was in Job the last time it appeared at the Royal Opera House (in its entirety), I think ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Another fiction series is Lorna Hill's Sadler's Wells books. The earlier books in the series were written while the author's daughter was at the Sadler's Wells ballet school in the late 40s/early 50s so presumably have a reasonable degree of accuracy as to learning ballet at that time & they mention some of the real-life dancers of the time. They certainly make me wish the RB would revive some of the ballets from that time that they've not done for a while, such as Job & Checkmate.

Although it’s some time since BRB performed Job, the definitely performed Checkmate in 2012 (I saw them perform it in Munich).

Research shows that reading for pleasure is one of the best things you can do for your mental health - but it's about reading for pleasure.  I've had to curb my innate desire to move students on from Wimpy Kid.  The most significant factor was about the student being equipped to choose a book and having the freedom to choose for themselves - not parents, teachers or even librarians!

I won't get started on why we should have more independent book shops. but modern books are a glorious thing.  I'm attaching a picture of a pile of books I'm about to put out (colour of stickers indicates borrowing age, 20 just tells me the year it was put on the shelf) - and they are a visual treat - even before you start reading.IMG_1228.jpg.c76a53a386b39ff1a51e7b61efbfd24d.jpg

• Like 1