Advice, help needed as no ballet background 😊

Crazylifecrazykids

It's a rollercoaster ride!  My dd was a RBS JA and got a place at Elmhurst yr 7. If she wants to persue the ballet route, all you can do is audition for both schools and see if she gets offered finals.. if it's a 'no' then she's had a nice day out doing a ballet class at a vocational school. If it's 'yes' then she'll go through to the final auditions and then see what happens. 

Some get a no to year 7 and yes to year 8!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna C said:

Which year group are you looking at, Crazylifecrazykids? Would you need government funding? That will help people advise you.

Ahh yeah sorry. Year 7 and yes would need funding.

She's an RBS JA and a Ballet Boost lower mids. She was offered yr5 Elmhurst but we had to decline, auditioned for yr6 and got a no..so she's confused now and if she should still try Elmhurst yr7 x

• Like 1

The main 4 schools that offer funded (or some funding) for ballet training for yr 7 entry (boarding schools) are RBS, Elmhurst, The Hammond and Tring. Or there are plenty of associate schemes out there if you are looking at keeping at a normal academic school and ballet training closer to home.  My advice would be not to try and second guess what schools are looking for and not read anything in to a yes one year and a no the next. You just have no way of knowing how many places are available versus how many applied. As daughterdance suggested - audition anywhere you feel comfortable and see how she gets on. Treat it as a nice day out , an extra ballet class and a bonus if you get offered finals or a place afterwards. The journey to being a professional dancer is a long one with plenty of bumps, twists and turns along the way so just enjoy the journey for as long as your DD enjoys her ballet. FYI neither of my DDs got accepted as associates (did not apply to vocational school)- one went to vocational school at 16 and has danced professionally ever since (not a ballet company though she still has performed ballet on pointe in most of her contracts) and the other decided to wait til she was 18 and then decided on university instead with ballet as a hobby.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

The main 4 schools that offer funded (or some funding) for ballet training for yr 7 entry (boarding schools) are RBS, Elmhurst, The Hammond and Tring. Or there are plenty of associate schemes out there if you are looking at keeping at a normal academic school and ballet training closer to home.  My advice would be not to try and second guess what schools are looking for and not read anything in to a yes one year and a no the next. You just have no way of knowing how many places are available versus how many applied. As daughterdance suggested - audition anywhere you feel comfortable and see how she gets on. Treat it as a nice day out , an extra ballet class and a bonus if you get offered finals or a place afterwards. The journey to being a professional dancer is a long one with plenty of bumps, twists and turns along the way so just enjoy the journey for as long as your DD enjoys her ballet. FYI neither of my DDs got accepted as associates (did not apply to vocational school)- one went to vocational school at 16 and has danced professionally ever since (not a ballet company though she still has performed ballet on pointe in most of her contracts) and the other decided to wait til she was 18 and then decided on university instead with ballet as a hobby.

also  worth nothing ( but  geographically limited  to Yorkshire in reality)  there is the Academy of Northern Ballet CAT  ... 

• Like 2

On 13/08/2020 at 20:59, Crazylifecrazykids said:

*edited My post to make it shorter and less of a monologue haha.

Vocational schools.. do Elmhurst and RBS look for somethog completely different and what other vocational schools are good to look at for Ballet ? Thankyou 😊

you’ll hear lots of myths and legends about what they look for ie; arched feet, small hips, long legs, sway backs etc ... but honestly, you’ll also hear of exceptions 

watch some classes or promo videos on YouTube or Facebook and then go for some auditions. 

most places look for potential too so don’t worry about levels or grades :) 

• Like 2

Thankyou.. we just don't have a clue, she's enjoying JAs and pleased she's moved up in BBA, it all seems such a difficult journey and yes the list of what people say they look for is a little off putting haha but if we don't let her try she will never know either... it's my nerves! Auditons and result waiting take their toll 😂

My dd was a RBS JA for 3 years.....got to finals for WL and Elmhurst. Got a no for WL and a yes for Elmhurst!

Just try and go to the open days if there are any. You will get a gut feeling which school is right for you......thankfully my dd got in to the one she wanted!!!

Oh and she did a year on the Northern Ballet CAT.  I honestly think this programme helped the most in terms of making ber physically stronger. Her RBS JA lessons helped prepare her for the auditions. 

It was just too much driving in to leeds several times a week for us as a family, so gone down the vocational school route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

My dd was a RBS JA for 3 years.....got to finals for WL and Elmhurst. Got a no for WL and a yes for Elmhurst!

Just try and go to the open days if there are any. You will get a gut feeling which school is right for you......thankfully my dd got in to the one she wanted!!!

Thankyou... wow, congratulations to your DD... just feel out of my depth a little.. I guess she must have something about her to be offered 3 associate programmes but she doesn't have the really high arches and instead that some do, so not sure that's paticulary good.. it's a mystery! 😂 x

• Like 1

Agree with many comments above.  If you are clear to your DD that without funding this is just a "let's see how far we get" exercise,  other than a hefty blow to the wallet there is little to loose.  No one knows exactly what the magic combination is.  And even then it's partly luck as to who else auditions.

Would also just comment - the most prestigious may not be the best fit for your child.  Going on reputation alone is not a sure-fire recipe for success.  It's hard when you don't have a dance back ground - I didn't - but there is a lot more to going away to school than taking ballet classes, and the rest of it has to be right for your child too.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Agree with many comments above.  If you are clear to your DD that without funding this is just a "let's see how far we get" exercise,  other than a hefty blow to the wallet there is little to loose.  No one knows exactly what the magic combination is.  And even then it's partly luck as to who else auditions.

Would also just comment - the most prestigious may not be the best fit for your child.  Going on reputation alone is not a sure-fire recipe for success.  It's hard when you don't have a dance back ground - I didn't - but there is a lot more to going away to school than taking ballet classes, and the rest of it has to be right for your child too.

This is so true. When DD was doing year 7 auditions, we decided to try the all the main schools, including Hammond, which I didn’t consider seriously for a minute as it was miles away from us. We rocked up to the audition treating it as a practice run and we both really liked the feel of the place. Suddenly it was top of our list! Luckily she got a place and some funding. 
I had no idea what I was doing either and still don’t as never had a dance lesson in my life. Good luck on your journey xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Thankyou... wow, congratulations to your DD... just feel out of my depth a little.. I guess she must have something about her to be offered 3 associate programmes but she doesn't have the really high arches and instead that some do, so not sure that's paticulary good.. it's a mystery! 😂 x

My dd doesn't have particularly high arches and has to work really hard on her foot strength and flexibility so dont worry. We dont know what it was that RBS found fault with for WL as havent got the feedback despite her teacher contacting them on more than one occasion....mind you she isn't really bothered anymore 😂

1 hour ago, meadowblythe said:

Definitely agree with this! My dd came out thr first day of WL finals and said to me "mummy, even if I got a place I dont think I want to come here!!!" It wasnt the right fit for her tbh.

6 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Yes thankyou and we have decided to make the audition run fun but we can only do schools that have funding sadly. Do you know which ones do fund? X 

6 hours ago, margarite said:

This is so true. When DD was doing year 7 auditions, we decided to try the all the main schools, including Hammond, which I didn’t consider seriously for a minute as it was miles away from us. We rocked up to the audition treating it as a practice run and we both really liked the feel of the place. Suddenly it was top of our list! Luckily she got a place and some funding. 
I had no idea what I was doing either and still don’t as never had a dance lesson in my life. Good luck on your journey xx

Wow lovely story and congratulations to your DD

We would defiantly need funding, due to my home situation (caring role)  I don't work full time but hubby does and I work part time.

Thankyou we are excited to have a go xx

19 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Yes thankyou and we have decided to make the audition run fun but we can only do schools that have funding sadly. Do you know which ones do fund? X 

There are four schools that offer MDS funding. Royal Ballet School, Elmhurst, Tring & Hammond. 

• Like 1

It's probably worth mentioning that not all the places at those schools are funded.  I think all RBS places are funded, but not all places at the other 3 (correct me if I'm wrong folks - I may be out of date).  So you have to be aware that even if offered a place you may not be offered funding.  This is sometimes the most heartbreaking position to be in!  

If you live within striking distance of Leeds consider Northern Ballet CAT (Centre for Advanced Training) which offers vocational level training while you still live at home and go to a regular school.

And if it doesn't work out at Year 7, and she still wants to be a ballet dancer, there are plenty of options further down the line, especially at 16 which is when there's the next big reshuffle.  It does however become increasingly difficult to get the right level of training at home, and you may find yourself spending a small fortune just in petrol, so definitely give it a go now if that is what she wants and is right for your family.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, glowlight said:

It's probably worth mentioning that not all the places at those schools are funded.  I think all RBS places are funded, but not all places at the other 3 (correct me if I'm wrong folks - I may be out of date).  So you have to be aware that even if offered a place you may not be offered funding.  This is sometimes the most heartbreaking position to be in!  

I think everyone that is eligible for MDS has funding at Elmhurst too. The other schools offer bursaries and partial fees remission for some children that are not awarded MDS, so it’s a good idea to go in with an idea of exactly what you could afford. Even MDS is a sliding scale, with the parental contributions based on earnings. The MDS calculator on the RBS website gives a really good idea of what this would cost at any of the MDS schools, but don’t forget there will be extras such as school trips that will account for an extra £100-200 per term depending on the school. 

• Like 2

All places at Elmhurst are MDS funded, it just depends on how much you are contributing!

Hammond has limited MDS funded places but they do have 25% and 50% bursaries and sometimes you might be better with that, also depends on how much you are contributing! (Well it was bursaries when we were there 2 years ago, someone might correct me if it’s changed since!)

I was replying same time as you Sissonne!)

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 2