ROH - and other theatre - refunds

Has anyone had difficulty in receiving these? I applied for refunds for 10 tickets, bought as two orders, and also donated the cost of a couple. I have since had a refund for a ticket for a performance in April, but nothing else. I wonder if they are dealing with refunds in performance date in which case I'll be waiting until July!  I've emailed the box office but no response. It would just be nice to know what's happening.

• Like 1

A friend booked tickets for me and another friend to see the mixed programme in June.  She has applied for a refund but not had the money back yet.  I suspect that you are correct in the way the requests are being processed.

I have still not received my refund from Sadler's Wells for Northern Ballet's Geisha either.  Goodness only knows how long I will have to wait for the BRB ticket refunds.

When I received an email from Cardiff about the cancellation of Geisha it was just a "refund being processed" with no other options and the money was back on my credit card within a couple of days...

Although I have to say that The Lowry sorted out my tickets very quickly but a friend has not heard from them at all!  It all seems a bit hit and miss.

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to ROH - and other theatre - refunds

Three weeks after applying for ROH refunds I had to cancel the card that paid for the tickets due to fraud, I emailed the ROH asking for a credit note instead as at the time I didn’t have my new card number. They  emailed me the credit notes just two days later. 

I haven't had all my refunds or credit notes yet. I don't think their system is really set up (understandably, I suppose) for doing multiple reverse transactions like this. (The emails I've received about the various credit notes have been completely confusing.)

Last week I had an email giving details of refunrds for 2 performances. Followed a few minutes later by another email saying they'd also accidentally refunded me for a performance back in February! I then had to donate the money back to them. Quite how their system allowed that I don't know & I wasn't exactly impressed.

I've had all my refunds from ROH, including two where I had clicked on credit note by mistake. When I asked if they could change the note to a refund, I got a very prompt and courteous response - and the money appeared in my next credit card statement. I was impressed -  it must have been a huge operation sorting it all out, complicated by people like me who made mistakes / changed their minds / sent emails etc. It hasn't been nearly as easy to get refunds from other places.

• Like 3

I have had just over 3/4 of my booking refunded to my credit card although I had asked them for ROH credit which is strange. I chased a couple of weeks ago and got a reply today, followed by the refund. They said they are dealing with refunds in the order they came in though, plus the website says could take up to 60 days...

I have every sympathy for box office staff all over, who are all dealing with processing tens of thousands , even hundreds of thousands, of tickets for each opera house, while working from home if they can.

Consider the ROH alone: In round numbers:  capacity 2000+ times 3+ months of performances = 90x2000 = 180,000.

• Like 3

All of my ROH refunds seem to have gone through now except the June triple bill, only found this out by my bank statement today as the ROH don't send E-mails, still waiting for a SW Creature refund, I have re-booked one performance for November, but there is another one outstanding, I did get an E-mail about the BRB triple. Unfortunately theatres come off worst of all any likely re-openings, cinemas will be easier as they have many more shows and can space people out without it mattering.

3 hours ago, toursenlair said:

I have every sympathy for box office staff all over, who are all dealing with processing tens of thousands , even hundreds of thousands, of tickets for each opera house, while working from home if they can.

Consider the ROH alone: In round numbers:  capacity 2000+ times 3+ months of performances = 90x2000 = 180,000.

100pc agree, they're doing a stellar job given the circumstances and the sheer volume of multiple requests. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clara_f said:

100pc agree, they're doing a stellar job given the circumstances and the sheer volume of multiple requests. 

Agree totally, but it's still a bit worrying to only receive a refund for one ticket out of ten booked in two orders! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Agree totally, but it's still a bit worrying to only receive a refund for one ticket out of ten booked in two orders! 

It is indeed!

My empathising with ROH staff (and anyone who is having to deal with knock on effects of covid on top of their day job for that matter which often means many people are working dawn until dusk so perhaps don't always have the time to respond to the additional email traffic promptly and shouldn't be judged harshly for it) doesn't mean I can't also empathise with your completely valid concerns Ninamargaret about when (or indeed if!) you will receive your refund :)

It sounds from the other posters that your intuition that everything is being refunded by date of performance is correct so am crossing fingers for you that you won't be left out of pocket for too long given the number of tickets you have purchased! 

I’ve been very impressed with how the Box Office dealt with my refund/donation. All booking orders were processed in one go, including one I’d missed. It took a few days to see the credits on my credit card and they all appeared at the same time. I hadn’t appreciated that the Box Office would have to deal with every ticket purchase, albeit my donation covered the first x tickets. It would have been slightly more convenient to me if there’d simply been one credit for the net refund. But the credits came to the expected total once I’d added up the price I’d paid for all my tickets. And as I’d missed one booking order which the Box Office kindly credited, I’ve been able to make an extra donation. I’d like to think the Box Office will soon be getting back to selling tickets rather than processing refunds.

• Like 2