Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

We had smooth sailing with the Ailey program that premiered last night. Thank you, Lincoln Center!

Streams premiering today from the US include Kochetkova at the Joyce Theatre, San Francisco Ballet with “Director’s Choice” of   brief works by Wheeldon & Tomasson, and - for a donation - Pacific NW Ballet In Tharp s Waiting at the Station. All continue beyond the premiere for several days.

So much for this...PNB has postponed today’s HouseParty premiere of the Twyla Tharp

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157809074258952&id=21358443951

...and I see that the link to the prev-announced Kochetkova program at the Joyce is down. Sigh. San Francisco may  do the same with its Director’s Choice program but, for now, that one seems to still be on.

https://www.sfballet.org/sf-ballet-home/

18 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Streams premiering today from the US include Kochetkova at the Joyce Theatre, San Francisco Ballet with “Director’s Choice” of   brief works by Wheeldon & Tomasson, and - for a donation - Pacific NW Ballet In Tharp s Waiting at the Station. All continue beyond the premiere for several days.

As it turned out, NONE of these originally-announced streams from U.S. presenters for June 5 happened. All were pulled or, in the case of San Francisco, replaced by  films of panels of dance experts speaking about diversity (from the 2018 Unbound Festival).

NYPL 2018 -Sarasota Ballet NYC Season Full Program is currently available. 

https://vimeo.com/324004369

Ashton program including Christopher Wheeldon’s There Where She Loved,

Monotones I & II, La Chatte métamorphosée en femme, pas de trois from Les Patineurs, Meditation from Thais, Pas de duex of The Two Pigeons (with Marcelo Gomes) 

• Like 4

Another exciting stream  from Ballet Arizona: TOPIA, Ib Andersen’s 2012 creation to Beethoven’s Pastoral Symphony. 

Available for 24hrs only, beginning at 12 noon EST, Sunday, June 7.

You can watch via the company’s  YouTube page: https://m.youtube.com/user/balletarizona/videos

This will be the full 45-minute ballet, rather than the “making of” documentary shown earlier. Enjoy!

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 13:34, Jane S said:

Dance Theatre of Harlem announce an on-demand series, starting with their famous 'Creole' Giselle - some background features to start with and then the full ballet on Sat 6th June. This really is a 'must see' production!

Hoping I can catch up with it tomorrow, because I'm too tired tonight!

Maybe just time to catch this:

"8pm:Becoming Giselle”
Due to technical difficulties, we’re sorry to announce that this program will not post today as planned. Please join us tomorrow, Saturday June 6th on Instagram LIVE for a “Becoming Giselle” conversation with two of our beloved Giselles, Artistic Director Virginia Johnson and former Principal Ballerina and Ballet Master Kellye Saunders at 5:30pm EDT!"

The DTH Creole Giselle is still available for some hours.  I found it most enjoyable.  I remember seeing it several times at City Center with the broadcast cast... and this approach to transferring it to the television screen was I think most successful.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

The casting for the Topia noted above is as follows:

1st Movement

Jackson Dwyer, Eric Hipolito, Jr., Alejandro Mendez, Annier Navarro, Ethan Price, Roman Zavarov
Rochelle Anvik, Kenna Draxton, Katherine Loxtercamp, Jessica Phillips
Amber Lewis, Ricardo Santos
Alison Remmers, Chelsea Teel, Lauren Flowers

2nd Movement

Natalia Magnicaballi and Randy Pacheco

Jillian Barrell and Eric Hipolito Jr.
Arianni Martin and Helio Lima

Rochelle Anvik, Ava Cobb, Lauren Flower, Katherine Loxtercamp, Kaelyn Magee, Jessica Phillips, Alison Remmers, Ana Maria Spear, Chelsea Teel

3rd Movement
Nayon Iovino

Rockelle Anvik, Ava Cobb, Kenna Draxton, Lauren Flower, Katherine Loxtercamp, Kaelyn Magee, Jessica Phillips, Alison Remmers, Ana Maria Spear, Chelsea Teel, Mimi Tompkins, Sasha Vincett, Riley McGregor*

4th Movement
Jackson Dwyer, Erick Garnica, Eric Hipoloto Jr., Alejandro Mendez, Annier Navarro, Alberto Penalver, Ethan Price, Ricardo Santos, Roman Zavarov

5th Movement
Entire Cast

*Member of Studio Company

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The DTH Creole Giselle is still available for some hours.  I found it most enjoyable.  I remember seeing it several times at City Center with the broadcast cast... and this approach to transferring it to the television screen was I think most successful.  

Very glad to have seen this "legendary" production after all these years.  Very enjoyable, and the transfer to Louisiana made perfect sense.  I particularly appreciated Act II in the swamp (did Albrecht always arrive in a boat, I wonder, or was it specially introduced for the filming?)  The 1980s' resolution was a bit difficult to watch in Act I at times, but actually I found it contributed to the misty atmosphere in Act II, as did the Wilis' draperies, which emphasised their ethereality.  Great and moving performances from Virginia Johnson and Eddie J. Shellman in the lead roles, and well adapted to TV - although I did wonder if the picture had been trimmed somewhat, as we tended to lose tops of heads and toes at various times.

Can anyone give me any idea, though, of how much classical ballet Dance Theater of Harlem were performing over this period?  Based on this showing, I'd have guessed a lot, but my perception of them, probably from the 1990s onwards, was far more of a contemporary dance company.  If there had been more footage of this type widely available, it would certainly have done much to counteract the claim that "black people can't do ballet" - because clearly they could, and very well :(

Also, can anyone remind me what it was Shellman guested with the Royal Ballet in?  I originally thought Agon, but later wondered if it had been Apollo.  I'm sure I remember him with Darcey Bussell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Also, can anyone remind me what it was Shellman guested with the Royal Ballet in?  I originally thought Agon, but later wondered if it had been Apollo.  I'm sure I remember him with Darcey Bussell.

Yes, Eddie Shellman did BOTH with the Royal Ballet - and very well too.  Such a fine partner.  He would have been taught both by Mitchell who, of course, originated that role in Agon.  DTH danced a LOT of Balanchine ... (not unreasonable given their founder) .... much as the Joffrey danced such an enormous amount of Ashton at the same address.  I hope one of the 'treasures' that Virginia Johnson spoke of might reflect that root.  Certainly I well remember her in a goodly number of Balanchine's landmarks.  

Oh, and, yes, this Albrecht did arrive on the boat on stage :) .... Amazing that this was filmed by a commercial network!!  (NBC)  The world was a very different place back then.  The networks took the place of the old movie studios.  (In physical LA often literally.)  Both (i.e., as the entities they were) are now history.  The commercial networks certainly didn't record much ballet - unless it was, say, a segment for the Ed Sullivan show ... or a special for Baryshnikov or Nureyev ... I seem to recall.  One of the reasons for the topping and tailing, Alison, will have been in the reformatting for the wider screen.  It wasn't that way originally I'm sure.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluebird said:

It's been postponed.  I've pasted in below a quote from the Lincoln Center website:

"NYCB's Coppélia and Tribute to Balanchine, scheduled for release on June 2 and June 3 will be rescheduled. SAB's Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration and the Juilliard K-12 Dance Workshop with Laura Careless, scheduled to stream from June 1 and June 3, have also been postponed. Please check back for updates."

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/dance-week

Edited to add that the announcement above doesn't take account of the fact that, before being postponed again, Coppelia had already been rescheduled for June 6 .

No reasons given, Bluebird, although I feel that this and other NYCB-Lincoln Center “Dance Week” postponements gave the Thursday Alvin Ailey program a chance to shine on its own, without competition from the more traditional troupes. That DTofHarlem offered its own streaming of Giselle during this weekend was a happy coincidence. Lincoln Center is (rightfully) being extra sensitive with its programming in all genres, e.g., the pre-announced traditional musical Carousel was also taken off the schedule without explanation and no new streaming date offered.

DTH Legacy Alert: Creole Giselle Extension

We were so moved by the impact that Creole Giselle has had on so many of you that we’ve decided to extend the streaming time on our YouTube channel until 11:59pm EDT on Wednesday, June 10th.

This is a great time to share Arthur Mitchell’s radical masterwork with your friends, family, and students alike. In a time where a diverse dance world is so greatly needed, our Creole Giselle shows you that it is possible. Thank you for support of this magnificent work.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, alison said:

Can anyone give me any idea, though, of how much classical ballet Dance Theater of Harlem were performing over this period?  Based on this showing, I'd have guessed a lot, but my perception of them, probably from the 1990s onwards, was far more of a contemporary dance company.  If there had been more footage of this type widely available, it would certainly have done much to counteract the claim that "black people can't do ballet" - because clearly they could, and very well :(

Alison, the DTH Coliseum season which included this Giselle also showed  Balanchine's Serenade, Four Temperaments (with a young Joseph Cipolla showing 'immense promise'), and Square Dance (with a caller) and Petipa's pas de dix from Raymonda (on the same bill as Giselle). John Percival said "I think I have seen nothing more beautiful or exciting on any London stage this year than Serenade as danced by the Harlem company"' but he was less enthusiastic about the Petipa.

I enjoyed the Giselle film very much - the main disappointment for me was that the restricted studio space meant we couldn't see the magnificent Lorraine Graves in full cry!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, alison said:

Very glad to have seen this "legendary" production after all these years.  Very enjoyable, and the transfer to Louisiana made perfect sense.  I particularly appreciated Act II in the swamp (did Albrecht always arrive in a boat, I wonder, or was it specially introduced for the filming?)  The 1980s' resolution was a bit difficult to watch in Act I at times, but actually I found it contributed to the misty atmosphere in Act II, as did the Wilis' draperies, which emphasised their ethereality.  Great and moving performances from Virginia Johnson and Eddie J. Shellman in the lead roles, and well adapted to TV - although I did wonder if the picture had been trimmed somewhat, as we tended to lose tops of heads and toes at various times.

3 hours ago, Jane S said:

Alison, the DTH Coliseum season which included this Giselle also showed  Balanchine's Serenade, Four Temperaments (with a young Joseph Cipolla showing 'immense promise'), and Square Dance (with a caller) and Petipa's pas de dix from Raymonda (on the same bill as Giselle). John Percival said "I think I have seen nothing more beautiful or exciting on any London stage this year than Serenade as danced by the Harlem company"' but he was less enthusiastic about the Petipa.

I enjoyed the Giselle film very much - the main disappointment for me was that the restricted studio space meant we couldn't see the magnificent Lorraine Graves in full cry!

I had never heard of such a claim, and had thought the opposite. An Eric Underwood article cleared it up for me, when he said, ' In a corps de ballet, especially for women, the idea is to be identical: you're trying to move the same and not call attention to yourself. For someone who isn't white, that's difficult. You're left with a choice: you have to either become so great a dancer that you're not left in a chorus or a line, or embrace your beauty and hope others do, too – seeing it as beautiful, even if the symmetry is disturbed.

I suppose that's how such great artists as Arthur Mitchell, Carlos Acosta and many others came to be.  I recently saw Precious Adams with English National and Rishan Benjamin with Scottish Ballet, where they stood out only because they were and looked so good. It could be in an Ethnic company the opposite would apply but I have seen mixtures which look good there as well.

The only valid claim for people who cant do ballet, stands against me. My Physio said I had flat feet, bow legs and funny knees, just like a footballer. Now there's a real physical reason.

Edited by Stevie
typo
  • Like 1

The latest streamed offering from Ballet Cymru will be A Child's Christmas in Wales. On their YouTube channel from 2pm this Sunday 14th and available for 48 hours afterwards.

I haven't seen this one, but remember reading some good reviews so looking forward!

10 hours ago, Janite said:

We were so moved by the impact that Creole Giselle has had on so many of you that we’ve decided to extend the streaming time on our YouTube channel until 11:59pm EDT on Wednesday, June 10th.

This is a great time to share Arthur Mitchell’s radical masterwork with your friends, family, and students alike. In a time where a diverse dance world is so greatly needed, our Creole Giselle shows you that it is possible. Thank you for support of this magnificent work.

Oh good.  I may be able to watch it again :)

• Like 1

I just received an email in Norwegian, which according to Google translate is advertising streamed new ballet from Norwegian National Ballet on the 11th. The link to the website is here https://operaen.no/en/Productions/narme/

I've pasted in the Google translation of the email below.

JUNE 11 / DIGITAL TRANSFER For the first time, a world premiere is streaming from the Opera! Closer is a meeting between two film directors, ten ballet dancers and two choreographers. June 11, you can experience it for free at home in the living room. The evening consists of the newly created ballets Distant Closeness by Lucas Lima and 5 Ballerinas by Melissa Hough. The two film directors Emilie Norenberg and Haakon Mathisen each create their own cinematic expression of the dance. When the cameras are on stage, the dance gets an expression we don't usually see.  Some of the National Ballet's most profiled dancers are on stage: Soloist Eugenie Skilnand dances in both works. She is accompanied by soloists Maiko Nishino, Silas Henriksen and Whitney Jensen, Stine Østvold, Victoria Amundsen, Cristiane Sá, Kári Freyr Bjørnsson and UNG dancer Erika Pastel.

• Like 1

As part of the Guggenheim's Work and Process Initiative and their WPA (Works and Process Artists) Virtual Commissions they are presenting Storm created by Sara Mearns, Joshua Bergasse, Zoe Sarnak, and Margo Seibert at the height of the Covid Interlude in NYC.  The only dancer is Mearns and the choreography is by her husband, Bergasse.  This film is intended for the dedicated Jerome Robbins Collection in the NYPL-Lincoln Center.  

10 hours ago, alison said:

I've moved a lot of the Live at Lincoln Center posts into their own separate thread, as it was getting difficult to keep track of them:

Thanks, Alison...and I’m thrilled that the LC postponed Dance Week offerings are back “on.” Hope they do the same with the SAB Celebration.

Not sure if this is the right thread for general reflection on the last 2-3 months (yes, 2-3 months!) of generous ballet streams but -wow! - has this ever been a bonanza of virtual ballet-going for we balletomanes! It’s hard to choose favorites, when all offerings are blessings. For me:

- Stuttgart’s Initials R.B.M.E. A#1 treasure!!!

- San Francisco’s many Unbound Festival ballets...especially love Dawson’s Anima Animus. Perfect movement to music; loved the silhouetting effect.

- ENB In Stina Quagebeur’s Nora - simple, powerful, exquisitely danced

- NYCB - so many! - but my absolute treasure is Donizetti Variations...which I cannot wait to see “live” again!

- Royal Ballet in Marston’s The Cellist (I’ve placed my order for the upcoming DVD)

- Pacific NW Ballet’s extraordinary historical Giselle.

Our cups runneth over.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

On 08/06/2020 at 10:32, Jane S said:

I did enjoy seeing the DTH creole Giselle. I did see it in London as Jane describes here (at the Coliseum I think, in the mid 80s).  I also remember their version of Firebird, though that might not have been on the same visit (did they come back the next year?).  As I recall it, at the conclusion of Firebird, the Firebird herself descends on wires from above the stage above the celebratory tableau.  I thought she was very brave.  Does anyone else remember this ? 

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 08:35, Janite said:

And now:

"Creole Giselle  – *viewing has been extended until 11:59pm on Friday, June 19th."

Even better.  It means I can go back to watching Anastasia before it disappears :) 

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere.
Dance Theatre of Harlem Virtual Ballet Series

This week, our Virtual Ballet Series continues with the online premiere of Darrell Grand Moultrie’s challenging tour de force, Vessels on Saturday, June 13th at 8pmVessels draws on the energy and artistry of a new generation of Dance Theatre of Harlem artists. 

Growing up in Harlem, Moultrie often watched performances at Dance Theatre of Harlem. Being able to recognize himself while looking at all of the dancers of color influenced the choreographer that Moultrie is today. Moultrie is a part of a long legacy of Black men creating ballets, passing forward the knowledge and inspiration that underlie his dynamic choreography.

Vessels Schedule of Events:

Thursday, June 11th 

Inside Vessels at 8pm

Watch a conversation with DTH’s Artistic Director Virginia Johnson and Vessels choreographer Darrell Grand Moultrie on his inspiration behind Vessels, how Darrell began choreographing and more on our YouTube and Facebookchannels.

Friday, June 12th 

Alumni Live Chat at 8pm
Join Company Artist Anthony Santos for a live chat with original cast members of Vessels: alumni Fred Davis, Jenelle Figgins and Chyrstyn Fentroy on Instagram live.

Saturday, June 13th:
Exploring Vessels at 5:30pm
Explore the themes of Vessels as it is interpreted by current DTH company artists on our Instagram(IGTV), YouTube, and Facebook channels.

Online Premiere of Vessels at 8pm

Watch the full-length version of Vessels on our YouTube and Facebook channels hosted by Vessels choreographer Darrell Grand Moultrie featuring live commentary with Company Artist Stephanie Rae Williams.

On 09/06/2020 at 11:27, DanJL said:

I just received an email in Norwegian, which according to Google translate is advertising streamed new ballet from Norwegian National Ballet on the 11th. The link to the website is here https://operaen.no/en/Productions/narme/

I've pasted in the Google translation of the email below.

JUNE 11 / DIGITAL TRANSFER For the first time, a world premiere is streaming from the Opera! Closer is a meeting between two film directors, ten ballet dancers and two choreographers. June 11, you can experience it for free at home in the living room. The evening consists of the newly created ballets Distant Closeness by Lucas Lima and 5 Ballerinas by Melissa Hough. The two film directors Emilie Norenberg and Haakon Mathisen each create their own cinematic expression of the dance. When the cameras are on stage, the dance gets an expression we don't usually see.  Some of the National Ballet's most profiled dancers are on stage: Soloist Eugenie Skilnand dances in both works. She is accompanied by soloists Maiko Nishino, Silas Henriksen and Whitney Jensen, Stine Østvold, Victoria Amundsen, Cristiane Sá, Kári Freyr Bjørnsson and UNG dancer Erika Pastel.

I've just watched this live broadcast by Norwegian National Ballet. A wonderful, captivating 45 minute performance. I particularly enjoyed the second piece, Distant Closeness, which was atmospheric, beautiful and incredibly poignant. The main dancer (I assume Eugenie Skilnand from the description above) was wonderfully expressive.

Unusual filming with the camera on stage circling the dancers. But once I got used to it, that only added to the atmosphere.

Apparently this will be available to watch again shortly. I recommend it!

• Like 1