Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ravenna Festival livestreamed Duets and Solos last night with Silvia Azzoni, Sergio Bernal, Hugo Marchand, Matteo Miccini, Alexandre Riabko, Iana Salenko and Marian Walter in works by Fokine, Clug, Neumeier, Robbins, Bernal, Petit, Scholz and Cue here.  

curated by Daniele Cipriani

Mario Brunello cello
Beatrice Rana piano

dancers

Silvia Azzoni (Hamburg Ballet)
Sergio Bernal (former Spanish National Ballet)
Hugo Marchand (Opéra de Paris)
Matteo Miccini (Stuttgart Ballet)
Alexandre Ryabko (Hamburg Ballet)
Iana Salenko (Staatsballett Berlin)
Marian Walter (Staatsballett Berlin)

music consultant Gastón Fournier-Facio

Aria
by Johann Sebastian Bach
from Variazioni Goldberg, BWV 988
piano Beatrice Rana

Morte del cigno
choreography Michel Fokine (1901)
music Camille Saint-Saëns
Le Cygne (da Le carnaval des animaux) for cello and piano
dancer Iana Salenko

SSSS
choreography Edward Clug
music Fryderyk Chopin
Notturno op. 9 n. 1 in si bemolle minore per pianoforte
dancer Matteo Miccini

Nocturnes
choreography John Neumeier (2005)
music Fryderyk Chopin
Notturno in do minore KK IVb/8 per pianoforte
Notturno op. 48 n. 1 in do minore per pianoforte
dancer Silvia Azzoni e Alexandre Ryabko

A Suite of Dances
(performed by permissions of The Robbins Trust)
choreography Jerome Robbins (per Mikhail Baryshnikov, 1994)
music Johann Sebastian Bach
Preludio e Giga dalla Suite n. 1 in sol maggiore per violoncello solo, BWV 1007
Sarabanda dalla Suite n. 5 in do minore per violoncello solo, BWV 1011
Preludio dalla Suite n. 6 in re maggiore per violoncello solo, BWV 1012
dancer Hugo Marchand

Folia de Caballeros
choreography Sergio Bernal
music Variazioni sul tema della follia (trascrizione da Cesare Freddi e Laura Serra per violoncello e pianoforte)
dancers Sergio Bernal and Matteo Miccini

Quadrille
di Rodion Ščedrin (dal II atto di Not Love Alone)
ncello Mario Brunello
piano Beatrice Rana

Thaïs
choreography Roland Petit
music Jules Massenet
Méditation (da Thaïs) per violoncello e pianoforte
dancers Iana Salenko and Marian Walter

Zapateado
(a creation for Duets and Solos)
choreography Sergio Bernal (2020)
music Gaspar Cassadó
dalla Suite n. 3 per violoncello solo
dancer Sergio Bernal

La Valse
by Maurice Ravel
piano Beatrice Rana

Sonata
choreography Uwe Scholz
musica Sergej Rachmaninov
Andante dalla Sonata in sol minore op.19 per violoncello e pianoforte
dancers Silvia Azzoni and Alexandre Ryabko

The Swan
choreography Ricardo Cue
dancer Sergio Bernal

in collaboration with Fondazione Teatro Carlo Felice di Genova – Festival del Balletto di Nervi

Ballet Arizona's Napoli, Act II, Ib Andersen's production - (which MAY only be available for 24 hours) ... 

The Ballet says streaming for 24 hours only, but it’s posted on the Symphony’s youtube site, and the Symphony kept Act I posted for an entire week. So watch on Sunday, or take your chances later in the week…

The RDB Blue Grotto set is multi-layered, and looks rather nice even on the video. And be sure not to blink during the magic costume change when Teresina renounces her naiadship (toward the end)!

Lead Cast:

Golfo, a demon of the sea       Brian Leonard

Coralla, a naiad                         Kenna Draxton

Argentina, a naiad                     Jessica Phillips

Teresina, Gennaro’s beloved  Arianni Martin

Gennaro, a fisherman             Alejandro Mendez

Shobana Jeyasingh Dance with Material Men redux on Monday 20 July at 7pm (for a week I think).

A work powerfully rooted in the Asian experience of indentured labour whereby millions of the poor from the subcontinent were transported to work in colonial plantations when slavery was abolished. It is performed by two charismatic dancers who bring their own personal connection to the story, a story told through archive text and images as well the brilliant dance skills of Sooraj Subramaniam (Bharatha Natyam) and Shailesh Bahoran (Hip hop).

Shobana will also chat with Guardian Dance Writer Sanjoy Roy about the work, and answer your questions online.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
37 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

The Old Vic will be doing a free streaming of a dance production by Drew McOnie, Jekyl and Hyde, details here

https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2020/your-old-vic/jekyll-hyde-archive-stream

Wed 7 August 7pm for one week. 

Thank you - will definitely watch 

I think the dates are 7pm BST on Wed 05 Aug  and will be available to watch until 7pm BST Wed 12 Aug.

Lake Tahoe Dance Festival - Wednesday through Friday 9pm EDT / (Thursday through Saturday) 2am BST (each of three programmes available for one day only) - Lake Tahoe Dance Collective presents its eighth annual dance festival in a virtual edition that is spread out over three successive nights. On the lineup are works that have been featured in past years of the festival or by artists who were originally slated to perform this time. The first collection focuses on American classical ballet and includes dances by Agnes de Mille, Antony Tudor, George Balanchine and Lauren Lovette; festival founders Christin Hanna and Constantine Baecher host a conversation about the works with guests Daniel Baudendistel, Stephen Hanna, Adrian Danchig-Waring and Ashley Bouder, all of whom perform at some juncture.  A $25 contribution is suggested but not required ... 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2020 at 06:12, Bruce Wall said:

Lake Tahoe Dance Festival - Wednesday through Friday 9pm EDT / (Thursday through Saturday) 2am BST (each of three programmes available for one day only) - Lake Tahoe Dance Collective presents its eighth annual dance festival in a virtual edition that is spread out over three successive nights. On the lineup are works that have been featured in past years of the festival or by artists who were originally slated to perform this time. The first collection focuses on American classical ballet and includes dances by Agnes de Mille, Antony Tudor, George Balanchine and Lauren Lovette; festival founders Christin Hanna and Constantine Baecher host a conversation about the works with guests Daniel Baudendistel, Stephen Hanna, Adrian Danchig-Waring and Ashley Bouder, all of whom perform at some juncture.  A $25 contribution is suggested but not required ... 

The initial Lake Tahoe program on American Classical Ballet, while sparse, turned out to have some lovely pieces, particularly NYCB’s Adrian Danchig-Waring dancing Apollo’s 2nd solo from his backyard in Long Island...on the grass...performing gorgeous entrechats in what appeared to be sneakers (rubber-soled shoes)! 

Good to see a bit of rare De Mille - just a short pdd from the 30-minute full ballet, The Other.

The Lilac Garden bit (from a NY Theatre Ballet film) consisted of the first 4-5 minutes of the full ballet.

Ashley Bouder once again a Queen of Nuance in the brief solo from Tchaikovsky pdd (filmed at the Bolshoi in 2014)...but spectacular in the film from Tahoe-2018 of an especially-commissioned jazzy solo, Red Spotted Purple (chor. Lovette).

In all, about 20 minutes of actual dancing. Lots of talk....but worth watching. It’s on for another 12 hrs via https://www.laketahoedancecollective.org/laketahoedancefestival

Catch it before it is replaced by the mid-century modern dance program.

Edited by Jeannette

It’s Friday!

Highlight among streams this weekend, DTHarlem’s spectacular and colorful Dougla by Geoffrey Holder (1974, reconstructed two years ago by his son and several former DTH dancers). I saw this “live” at the Cairo Opera House in 1990, during years working in Egypt. A real gem that I’ve been longing to watch in full since then. It depicts the wedding of a South Asian/Indian bride to an Afro-Caribbean groom on the island of Trinidad. Begins streaming tomorrow (Saturday) at 8pm Eastern. 

Watch the ballet and interesting extras on DTH’s Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5gb-8rQWU6jGJIfe60DJg

• Like 3

Update on DTH’s Dougla stream:

According to one of the preview bits on YouTube, TWO different films of Dougla will be streamed tomorrow: at 6pm Eastern, the 1977 PBS telecast filmed in Opryland Studios; at 8pm, the current company filmed during the 2018 revival at City Center NYC.

Edited by Jeannette

It is a short clip but it is from National Ballet of Japan's brand new ballet for children, "Ryuguu the Turtle Princess"  which successfully premiered last Friday.

It is based on a well known Japanese folk tale, and has some Noh (japanese traditional theatre influence, and was a delightful one.  

The theatre took much care in the safety measures 

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/news/all/important-notice-our-prevention-plan-and-request.html

But unfortunately, the last 2 performances were cancelled today as a member of the staff was tested positive with Coronavirus. 

Thanks Naomi.

I suppose this is going to be life from now on.  But how awful for everyone if an audience member has travelled a long distance and perhaps have booked a hotel if the performance is cancelled because a cast member has contracted C-19.

It looks rather lovely BTW.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I suppose this is going to be life from now on.  But how awful for everyone if an audience member has travelled a long distance and perhaps have booked a hotel if the performance is cancelled because a cast member has contracted C-19.

The BLOG from the International Ballet Masterclasses in Prague speaks of something similar affecting the ability of Tamas Solymosi to teach there next week. He is the Artistic Director of Hungarian National Ballet where one dancer has become ill (although not yet proven to be Covid-19).  The company protocol is that everyone has to take two tests and, if the ill dancers' test result comes back positive,  the whole company has to quarantine for two weeks regardless of their test results. This has made it difficult for Tamas to travel.

[As a matter of interest, Alexander Campbell (Principal at the Royal Ballet) is going to replace Tamas, and teach three classes and pas de deux. So some lucky students are going to be taught by both Alex and Vadim Muntagirov!!!!]

28 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks for the information Capybara.  I feel uncomfortable liking it because of Tamas Solymosi's situation (and the rest of his colleagues at Hungarian National Ballet).

I know, Jan. There have been a number of posts in recent months where one has really needed a selection of responses, including empathy.

Before reading that blog from Prague, it hadn't struck me that, going forward, one ill dancer would affect a whole company in the way described.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 06:45, Bruce Wall said:

The Ravenna Festival livestreamed Duets and Solos last night with Silvia Azzoni, Sergio Bernal, Hugo Marchand, Matteo Miccini, Alexandre Riabko, Iana Salenko and Marian Walter in works by Fokine, Clug, Neumeier, Robbins, Bernal, Petit, Scholz and Cue here.  

curated by Daniele Cipriani

Mario Brunello cello
Beatrice Rana piano

dancers

Silvia Azzoni (Hamburg Ballet)
Sergio Bernal (former Spanish National Ballet)
Hugo Marchand (Opéra de Paris)
Matteo Miccini (Stuttgart Ballet)
Alexandre Ryabko (Hamburg Ballet)
Iana Salenko (Staatsballett Berlin)
Marian Walter (Staatsballett Berlin)

music consultant Gastón Fournier-Facio

Aria
by Johann Sebastian Bach
from Variazioni Goldberg, BWV 988
piano Beatrice Rana

Morte del cigno
choreography Michel Fokine (1901)
dancer Iana Salenko

SSSS
choreography Edward Clug
music Fryderyk Chopin
Notturno op. 9 n. 1 in si bemolle minore per pianoforte
dancer Matteo Miccini

Nocturnes
choreography John Neumeier (2005)
music Fryderyk Chopin
Notturno in do minore KK IVb/8 per pianoforte
Notturno op. 48 n. 1 in do minore per pianoforte
dancer Silvia Azzoni e Alexandre Ryabko

A Suite of Dances
(performed by permissions of The Robbins Trust)
choreography Jerome Robbins (per Mikhail Baryshnikov, 1994)
music Johann Sebastian Bach
Preludio e Giga dalla Suite n. 1 in sol maggiore per violoncello solo, BWV 1007
Sarabanda dalla Suite n. 5 in do minore per violoncello solo, BWV 1011
Preludio dalla Suite n. 6 in re maggiore per violoncello solo, BWV 1012
dancer Hugo Marchand

Folia de Caballeros
choreography Sergio Bernal
music Variazioni sul tema della follia (trascrizione da Cesare Freddi e Laura Serra per violoncello e pianoforte)
dancers Sergio Bernal and Matteo Miccini

Quadrille
di Rodion Ščedrin (dal II atto di Not Love Alone)
ncello Mario Brunello
piano Beatrice Rana

Thaïs
choreography Roland Petit
music Jules Massenet
Méditation (da Thaïs) per violoncello e pianoforte
dancers Iana Salenko and Marian Walter

Zapateado
(a creation for Duets and Solos)
choreography Sergio Bernal (2020)
music Gaspar Cassadó
dalla Suite n. 3 per violoncello solo
dancer Sergio Bernal

La Valse
by Maurice Ravel
piano Beatrice Rana

Sonata
choreography Uwe Scholz
musica Sergej Rachmaninov
Andante dalla Sonata in sol minore op.19 per violoncello e pianoforte
dancers Silvia Azzoni and Alexandre Ryabko

The Swan
choreography Ricardo Cue
dancer Sergio Bernal

in collaboration with Fondazione Teatro Carlo Felice di Genova – Festival del Balletto di Nervi

It was marvellous to watch live dance being live streamed.  There is hope.  

• Like 1

Ballet Chambre Ouest (of Japan, Mariko Sasaki of Royal Ballet is from this school) holds a 2 week open air performance in the mountains every year called Kiyosato Field Ballet, and this year all the performances are Swan Lake with a slightly social distanced one. (no 2 act pas de deux, 4 little swans not holding hands).

They are streaming a full length performance of the opening night, with Ayako Ono and Yudai Fukuoka of National Ballet of Japan last night which I saw live and was fabulous with the nature surrounding the stage.  Until August 8th. 

On 29/07/2020 at 13:46, Naomi M said:

National Ballet of China's 60th Anniversary Gala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvh2ED0cvxo

Thanks for the tip-off on this. I watched yesterday & it is a delightful retrospective on the history of this company. I especially loved the penultimate piece - pdd from Passions of Yimeng with two wonderful young Soloists, Huo Shuang and Wu Siming...the latter truly extraordinary in tech, line, and acting. Mr. Wu Siming is on my radar! 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 20:51, Jeannette said:

Stars of the Royal Danish Ballet at Jacob’s Pillow  NY.

https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/royal-danish-ballet-2/

only 48 hrs, starting Thursday, 30 July.

Did anyone else see this? Beautifully put together. Loved it all, especially Praetorius & Kaas In Kermesse in Bruges pdd. It all ends with an extended live interview with Nikolai Hubbe, as he shelters at home; he is a lively hoot! It’s up only today & part of Saturday...until about 7pm London time on Aug 1. Complete program is about 1hr-28mins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Thanks for the tip-off on this. I watched yesterday & it is a delightful retrospective on the history of this company. I especially loved the penultimate piece - pdd from Passions of Yimeng with two wonderful young Soloists, Huo Shuang and Wu Siming...the latter truly extraordinary in tech, line, and acting. Mr. Wu Siming is on my radar! 

By the way, I’m assuming that Wu Siming is the guy because the name came second in the credits (!). If anybody can share the link of the troupe’s current roster, with names in English & photos, would be most grateful. The newest that I have is from a 2015 US tour, so not all of the gala’s featured dancers are listed.

16 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Ballet Arizona will stream La Sylphide on Sunday, August 2 for 24 hours, starting at 9 am PDT

Oh drat, does that mean I've missed the last act of Napoli, which is what the calendar is still saying? :(

The one-week Virtual 2020 Vail Dance Festival began last night. The initial show blended ballet and modern.tap offerings...with a heavy dose of Lil’ Buck in his white sneakers. Lil Buck & Tiler Peck feature in almost all four performance/excerpt shows.

In last night’s opener, I especially loved seeing Tiler Peck & Robert Fairchild in Limon’s Suite from Mazurkas... performed back when they were a couple (either married or about to be). Our knowledge that they divorced soon after this film gives special pathos to their parting waves at the end of the ballet. Sigh.

Carla Korbes in Balanchine’s 1982 Elegie was the other highlight for me. It’s a work never performed since 1982 until  this Vail revival. So catch this rare Balanchine solo, to Stravinsky viola, while you can!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTmPWvm5mNynfYJYaq_dbRA

Edited by Jeannette

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 15:20, Jeannette said:

Did anyone else see this? Beautifully put together. Loved it all, especially Praetorius & Kaas In Kermesse in Bruges pdd. It all ends with an extended live interview with Nikolai Hubbe, as he shelters at home; he is a lively hoot! It’s up only today & part of Saturday...until about 7pm London time on Aug 1. Complete program is about 1hr-28mins.

Yes.  Would be interested in what others thought about the pdd from La Sylphide, for a start.

I thought the costumes for the "A Folk Tale" snippet looked far too sophisticated and inappropriate for the choreography: is this another of those Bournonville ballets which Hubbe has "updated"?

On 01/08/2020 at 08:54, Jan McNulty said:

Thank you Saki.  That 35 minutes of bliss has set me up for the day!

Me too!  Glad I managed to fit it in before it vanished - lovely to see the full Act III dances, not just the usual excerpts.  Must admit, though, with the washed-out-ness of the colours I had quite a bit of difficulty working out which dancers were Gennaro and Teresina.

On 02/08/2020 at 00:53, alison said:

Yes.  Would be interested in what others thought about the pdd from La Sylphide, for a start.

I thought the costumes for the "A Folk Tale" snippet looked far too sophisticated and inappropriate for the choreography: is this another of those Bournonville ballets which Hubbe has "updated"?

Just watched the Jacob's Pillow Danish gala again as it still seems to be here.

Didn't really think there was anything untoward with James' shirt in la Sylphide. I was wondering if I was going to be distracted but wasn't really. I enjoyed the piece as I did all the Bournonville though could have done without the Giselle pas de deux. I know it fitted stylistically but would have preferred more Bournonville. This sort of concert always makes me nostalgic for the visit by them I attended at the Peacock theatre a few years ago which was terrific. I wish Danish Ballet would visit us more often especially to do Bournonville as we see so little Bournonville now.

I think Hubbe did update A Folk Tale and it was streamed earlier this year and is still there. People I know who have seen both versions say they prefer the earlier, more traditional version.

I'm going to donate both to Jacob's Pillow and Danish Ballet as Jacob's Pillow offered to share the donations with Danish Ballet but Hubbe refused and said they could keep all of them which I think was very generous of him.

Edited by BalletcoForum Moderators
Post edited to remove link to a full ballet performance that has not been issued by the copyright holder