The right feet? Totally new to this..

Dancemum100

Hi, 

I’m totally new to all this so very glad I found this forum! My 9 year old daughter wants to apply for the Royal Ballet associate program but I’m worried that her feet will hold her back. They don’t have a high arch at all and even when she’s fully stretching them, they look quite flat. I’ve read a few comments on here that girls didn’t have the “right feet” for RBS and just wondered if anyone had any experience of girls whose feet weren’t “right” but still achieved a place.

Thank you! 

Hi

Yep my daughter got a place in JAs even though she didn’t have a high arch at all...&  interestingly she also got a place at WL too.... the teachers there felt with  a lot of work she would develop better looking feet / arches etc and her other strengths outweighed this weakness.... so like every one says on here it’s always worth trying.x

• Like 2

Welcome from me too.  Sometimes, feet can be deceptive - at 11, my daughter’s Associates teacher was concerned about her feet, saying they didn’t point as much as they should.  They also looked quite “flat”.  It turned out that she was very hypermobile and had associated proprioception issues in that she couldn’t feel which muscles were/were not activating.  She also over-pronated her ankles which made her arches look flat. 

Physio, prescribed exercises, orthotics and training herself not to roll in all solved the problem - she doesn’t have a high instep on top of her foot; that’s mostly down to bone structure, but she has very high arches under her foot which were not evident at 10 or 11.  

Your dd is young and there’s a long way to go before anyone should decide whether she has the right or wrong feet for ballet.  Pointework will be a factor in a couple of years but a lot can be done with the right shoes.  If you are at all concerned that your dd might be rolling in at the ankles then a physio/gait assessment is always a good idea but don’t panic - at 9, Associates are looking for other things than just feet. ☺️

• Like 4

I do think RBS look at feet quite closely, they may not require "banana" feet but they seem to look at how articulated and bendy they are even from that age.  My DD isn't a JA but she attends another associates scheme and last year there were at least 3-4 JAs in her class and all had clearly and obviously higher arches and all had that "banana" feet look.  Not generalising of course, but just in relation to that particular group, all also shared the same physique proportion-wise, and pretty much the same leg lines.

• Like 1

Even with the ‘right feet’ or not it is very difficult to get into the RBS associate program. The panel will will be looking for all sorts of attributes from a huge number of dc to fill very few places. 
If your Dd enjoys dance then why not suggest she auditions for a number of associate schemes including RBS? 

• Like 2

I agree with Jane, if your DD loves dance do suggest that she try for other associate schemes too.  They are all different and she might find that she enjoys another one even more than Royal. My DD auditioned for about 5 and after all of it she mentioned that there was one where the panel spent a long time at the start scrutinising the children's bodies and feet and after this, it was quite obvious that they focused on a select few.  This particular one was not her favourite as it was apparent to her that the panel were only looking at certain children, but also because the format wasn't one she particularly enjoyed as much.  Quite tellingly, she was accepted to all schemes apart from that one.  Fast forward to now and not for a second did she ever think she missed out on anything for not being part of that particular scheme - although this might be because she never intended to apply full time to the vocational school affiliated with the said scheme.  It might have been different if she had always wanted to audition for it.  But do suggest to your DD to look into other schemes too as they are so varied and for most of the other ones, feet doesn't seem to matter as much at that tender age.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dancemum100 said:

Hi, 

I’m totally new to all this so very glad I found this forum! My 9 year old daughter wants to apply for the Royal Ballet associate program but I’m worried that her feet will hold her back. They don’t have a high arch at all and even when she’s fully stretching them, they look quite flat. I’ve read a few comments on here that girls didn’t have the “right feet” for RBS and just wondered if anyone had any experience of girls whose feet weren’t “right” but still achieved a place.

Thank you! 

Yes! I do know of a student with quite flat feet who was a JA. She did, however have great facility in other areas such as turnout, ballon and musicality. I think much depends on who is there on the day. One of the JA/ MA teachers described it like a Rubik’s cube. No- one has all sides completed but you try to get as much as you can. A downside of flattish feet is the ability to achieve the correct position en pointe which is obviously not an issue until MA. Feet can always be worked on and developed both in flexibility and strength. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your advice everyone. She is hoping to apply to other associate programs but we are struggling to find any within a sensible distance. Manchester is about an hour and 15 minute drive from us, so I am thinking maybe Elmhurst as well as RBS but would love to hear other recommendations. 

• Like 1

It really depends how "bad" her feet and what her other strenghts are.

There is a point where feet just aren't suitable for professional ballet training, but there are also students with feet that aren't the best but can be improved with training and if the students Excel in other areas, that can put them ahead of other candidates with better feet.

• Like 1